Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
djellison
QUOTE (odave @ Apr 7 2005, 11:44 AM)
(T1)......(26k dialup)

You didnt have Mars Odyssey safe mode on you as WELL did you smile.gif

Dial up - broadband was the analogy I used to explain it to my other half smile.gif

Then again - T1 is a smidge more than 'broadband'.

Doug
odave
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 7 2005, 07:52 AM)
You didnt have Mars Odyssey safe mode on you as WELL did you smile.gif

That's exactly how it feels at either end of my commute smile.gif I live out in the sticks where the phone lines are bad. For me, surfing from home is a good exercise in patience and multi-tasking.

--O'Dave
paxdan
QUOTE (odave @ Apr 7 2005, 12:44 PM)
When I'm accessing exploratorium from work (T1), I've found that I have to use the nasa.exploratorium.edu URL and remove the port number.
--O'Dave

Yup, that'll be it.

Thanks.
Phil Stooke
Paxdan asked about links to polar (or donut... I use that term because it was used back in the Viking period, 1976-77 ... I'm fossilized enough to recall those far-off days) reprojections of the Viking sites. You can find V1, V2 and Pathfinder at low resolution only (sorry) at this site:

http://publish.uwo.ca/~pjstooke/viksites.htm

Phil
Bill Harris
confident that the etched terrain is gong to consist of flat areas of the exposed evaporate layer occupying the space between the dune crests where sand has been removed by wind action

My concern would be that the etched terrain consists of a lot of 2-3 foot steep dropoffs and the wind-shadowed sides of the outcrops have loose sand-sized material deposited. Similar to the problems Oppy ran into in Endurance near the dune field. We'll see what the terrain is like as Oppy nears Erebus.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
Here's a polar view of Naturaliste crater. The original pan was a JPL release. I will do the same for Viking and Voyager if JPL or anyone here posts a pan of either.

Phil

Click to view attachment
dvandorn
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 7 2005, 04:19 AM)
There's some elevation in there I think.

For those that use 3d programs - take something like eagle crater - then scale it in X and Y only ( not Z ) by 10000% - and I think that's what erebus will be like smile.gif

Doug

It looks like Erebus' walls are still partially intact along some arcs of the old circle. I think you're right, the crater itself looks completely filled in, such that the landform is going to look from the ground like a very low ringwall sticking up a foot or two from the plains.

It may not give us any deeper layering into the evaporite, but the ringwall of Erebus *is* the very rim of a crater roughly half the size of Victoria. Certainly a much larger impact structure than we've visited thus far. So it's possible that some of the rocks exposed in and around the ringwall will come from *much* deeper than we've yet seen.

Of course, those rocks may well be the basalts that underlied the sea and provided a base for the evaporite layer... we'll just have to wait and see.

In any event, it seems to me that there *may* be a Burn's Cliff sticking right out of the sand up there at Erebus, right within easy reach all along its height and breadth... I can't wait to see!

-the other Doug
Pando
Updated Opportunity Route Map:
djellison
Yup - didnt hang around at Vik+VOy very long, especially with the crud downlink during that time. Hell - Erebus for next weekend smile.gif

Doug
MahFL
I am glad they are moving on, those were just 2 small craters, not much new to be seen there. On to the older crater with some small cliffs, and some etched terrain smile.gif
pancam.gif
Marcel
QUOTE (MahFL @ Apr 8 2005, 12:48 PM)
I am glad they are moving on, those were just 2 small craters, not much new to be seen there. On to the older crater with some small cliffs, and some etched terrain smile.gif
pancam.gif

I'd say straight to Victoria, and some etched terrain after that. Erebus is ancient, so a lot is erased. Victoria is more fresh and thus more interesting considering make-up of the mother-rocks deep down. Some imageing at Erebus (and no RATting), some snapshots during traversing further south (and no RATting), and get in there (and RAT wheel.gif RAT wheel.gif RAT wheel.gif ) !

I want the science, I want the view and i want it soon ! Imagine an outcrop 10's of meters down, and no RAT capability ohmy.gif

Imagine a dead rover near the rim of Victoria..... unsure.gif

go-go-go oppy !
tedstryk
That of course is based on the assumption that Erebus and the etched terrain won't contain something too compelling to pass up. I guess they could brush a rock, and after studying it, if the results are still ambiguous and compelling in a way that a RAT-ing might clear up, then go for it.
akuo
QUOTE (Marcel @ Apr 8 2005, 02:32 PM)
I'd say straight to Victoria, and some etched terrain after that.

Victoria is over two kilometres away and there is etched terrain in between.

Anyway I see etched terrain as a more important target. Victoria is just Endurance on a bigger scale...
djellison

go-go-go oppy !

Imaging getting there, and then realizing that we missed important science on the way there smile.gif

Doug
dot.dk
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 8 2005, 09:59 PM)

go-go-go oppy !

Imaging getting there, and then realizing that we missed important science on the way there smile.gif

Doug

Then we just drive back and look at it again. We have 1000 Sols remember wink.gif

I kind of hope the Etched terrain turns out to be very uniform so they will not need to sample a rock every 10 meter.

I say, go to Victoria ASAP and then go back and do the "boring" science biggrin.gif
Unfortunately I'm not in the driving seat.
tedstryk
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Apr 8 2005, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 8 2005, 09:59 PM)

go-go-go oppy !

Doug

Then we just drive back and look at it again. We have 1000 Sols remember wink.gif

I kind of hope the Etched terrain turns out to be very uniform so they will not need to sample a rock every 10 meter.

I say, go to Victoria ASAP and then go back and do the "boring" science biggrin.gif
Unfortunately I'm not in the driving seat.

I think it will depend. If the etched terrain turns out to be the same stuff they saw in Endurance and Eagle, they will move quickly to see if Victoria has something else to offer. If other things are present, it is important to investigate - It would be terrible to have tantalizing pancam data on a rock and have skipped it to get to Victoria, especially if it turns out to be a bigger Endurance.
gregp1962
I admit that I'm more captivated by the spirit of exploration than the science. I'm hoping we make it to Victoria in good time and then beyond. I'd love to see Spirit head for Thyra soon as well.
wyogold
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 8 2005, 03:47 PM)
They started drivin Spirit backwards after it's wheel issue - and that has since vanished smile.gif

We have 12 healthy wheels on mars.

The only issues I know of are...

Stuck IDD heater on Opportunity that gets turned off via deep-sleep at night
Slight non-damaging short on Spirit somewhere
Oppy Mini-TES still off-line for analysis
Spirit RAT teeth possibly worn out.

The last point says a lot about the composition of the rocks between Gusev and Meridiani.  As of December - the score was

Grind    Brush

Spirit  11        39
Oppy  22        8

Now - since then, I believe we've done four rattings on Spirit, and 1 on Opportunity - so the score is probably around 15 - 21. Yet Spirit's the one that's worn out smile.gif

Doug

puts in perspective whos rocks are harder. That stuff oppy is rattin in must be soft like chalk/limestone.

scott
atomoid
puts in perspective whos rocks are harder. That stuff oppy is rattin in must be soft like chalk/limestone.

scott

I never did hear any official analogy suitable for everyday experience the texture/density of the Meridiani bedrock. Likewise, ive always had the same impression by looking at the chalky images and grinds that that was whats it like, similar to a bed of natural porous chalk; but then looking at the 'weathered' surfaces of the rock, its looks more like burnished unfired clay. The rind that makes these surfaces appear hard as limestone cave formations seems thinly painted over compressed silty salt cake that quickly fluffs away under the rat. but i digress, whats the offical line?
scalbers
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 7 2005, 01:00 PM)
Paxdan  asked about links to polar (or donut... I use that term because it was used back in the Viking period, 1976-77 ... I'm fossilized enough to recall those far-off days) reprojections of the Viking sites.  You can find V1, V2 and Pathfinder at low resolution only (sorry) at this site:

Phil

Phil and all,

Back when I was in college I worked at JPL on preliminary versions of the high-res Viking 1 & 2 Lander mosaics. I have a web page you might wish to look at with links to various "final" versions that have been published. These are cylindrical projections, and perhaps they can be reprojected into polar if anyone would like to try.

http://laps.fsl.noaa.gov/albers/viking.html

Later,

Steve Albers
tedstryk
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 7 2005, 01:00 PM)
Paxdan  asked about links to polar (or donut... I use that term because it was used back in the Viking period, 1976-77 ... I'm fossilized enough to recall those far-off days) reprojections of the Viking sites.  You can find V1, V2 and Pathfinder at low resolution only (sorry) at this site:

Phil

Have you done versions of these without the extreme vertical exageration?
Bill Harris
That stuff oppy is rattin in must be soft like chalk/limestone.

The "Eagle Formation" is said to be Keiserite (Magnesium Sulfate) which has a Mohs Hardness of 3.5, which is only slightly harder than Calcite (Calcium Carbonate). This hardness is for a single crystal of Keiserite, and I'd expect the pseudo- or microcrystaline rock to be no harder and probably softer. It may be chalklike in hardness.

--Bill
Sunspot
Technical problem? I notice that Opportunity hasn't moved for some time - they haven't deployed the IDD which they often do during weekends or briefs science stops.
djellison
Flash was probably quite full - I noticed the Explo. had a LOT of images from the Vostok pan come down over the weekend. They probably spent the weekend doing all the UHF passes they missed last week, charging batteries and writing the sequences for this week in which, I imagine, we might well see some BIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiig Drives

Doug
tedstryk
Well, as of sol 430, still not much on the horizon.
wyogold
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 11 2005, 09:44 AM)
Flash was probably quite full - I noticed the Explo. had a LOT of images from the Vostok pan come down over the weekend.  They probably spent the weekend doing all the UHF passes they missed last week, charging batteries and writing the sequences for this week in which, I imagine, we might well see some BIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiig Drives

Doug

I think there was a wake up call with the lack of bandwidth. kinda a "we'd better get all thoes images down we've been putting off just incase" heh

scott
Bill Harris
Well, as of sol 430, still not much on the horizon.

But at least the horizon is not sea-flat as it has been. Not as interesting as Endurance where we could sample tantalizing previews of the interior bluffs as Oppy approached from Eagle.

I think that Erebus is going to be interesting as a window into the etched terrain.

--Bill
Sunspot
Hmmmmmm still going nowhere:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...IHP1235R0M1.JPG

I wonder if they are contemplating an alternative route...
djellison
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 12 2005, 10:04 AM)

What, like via Olympus Mons or something smile.gif

There are no other routes to take - I'm sure it's simply a combination of three things

battery charging - Oppy is on less power than Spirit now - about 30% less - so from time to time it makes sense to get a fully charged battery

data downlink - after heavy imaging at Vostok and the Vik/Voy twins, there was a lot of stuff in flash that still needed sending down - if they plan big drives in the future you needs lots of flash space for the autonav data

Mini-Tes - they may be taking a few sols out just to troubleshoot Mini-tes, see if they can find what's wrong with it and patch it up.

Doug
dot.dk
But why take front/rear haz pictures if you are not moving? unsure.gif
akuo
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 12 2005, 10:04 AM)
Hmmmmmm still going nowhere:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...IHP1235R0M1.JPG

That image is from sol 431. Rawid output:
Acquisition time (Mars): Sol 431 11:15:23

As far as I see there are no images from sol 432 yet.
Sunspot
What are you using to extract all the file information? Date, time etc?
djellison
search the forum for rawid.exe smile.gif

Doug
akuo
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 12 2005, 11:08 AM)
What are you using to extract all the file information?  Date, time etc?

A small command line utility by Joe Knapp called Rawid. I can't find it on the net anymore. It used to be on his website at http://copperas.com/. Maybe you can email him, or failing that I still have the source code for it.

The full output of the utility is like this:
rawid http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...IHP1235R0M1.JPG
Image info for: 1F166444496EFF52IHP1235R0M1
Spacecraft: OPPORTUNITY
Camera: Forward HAZCAM, right
Spacecraft clock: 166444496 (seconds since January 1, 2000, 11:58:55.816 UTC)
Product type: EDR full frame
Site number: 52
Drive number: IH
Command sequence number: P1235 (PMA or remote sensing instrument) HAZCAM
Producer: MIPL/JPL
Acquisition time (Earth): Mon Apr 11 01:22:49 2005
Time zone: EET
Acquisition time (Mars): Sol 431 11:15:23
Current local time (Earth): Tue Apr 12 14:23:31 2005
Current local time (Mars): Sol 432 23:01:38
Elapsed time since acquisition: 1 day, 12:44:26
Sunspot
..........ah yes, I remember trying that, never managed to get it to work lol. blink.gif I'm not very technologically adept, I don't know what the command line is lol rolleyes.gif I need something were you could just paste the filename into a box click a button and the file info is displayed biggrin.gif
djellison
Is there any way someone could re-deploy raw-id via a webpage. It would be MUCH easier to just copy and paste into a text entrybox on a webpage and click submit - and have it come up with the results.

I have SQL and PHP hosting on this server if someone wants to give it a go.

Doug
Sunspot
Hey, I think Opportunity is on the move again...........

.....this looks like a TINY meteorite impact crater:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P0703L0M1.JPG
paxdan
Bright soil or just a reflection?. Might the etched terrain be a different soil type brought to the surface by victoria.... Nah! probably not.
Sunspot
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 12 2005, 12:55 PM)
Is there any way someone could re-deploy raw-id via a webpage. It would be MUCH easier to just copy and paste into a text entrybox on a webpage and click submit - and have it come up with the results.

I have SQL and PHP hosting on this server if someone wants to give it a go.

Doug

A small app like MidnightMarsBrowser would do the job .. like you say, just paste the file name into a box and click submit........
djellison
Actually - yes - that's all that's needed. It's just annoying having to copy the filename into a batch file, save it, getting up a dos window, then running the batch file. A simple thing like MMB would be perfect.

Doug
TheChemist
There are beautifull Japanese rock gardens inbetween the sand waves. And Erebus on the top left starts to show himself better.

original PanCam image

Added some sunlight/contrast/sharpen : (191 kB)
Vladimorka
QUOTE (paxdan @ Apr 13 2005, 12:48 PM)
Bright soil or just a reflection?. Might the etched terrain be a different soil type brought to the surface by victoria.... Nah! probably not.

Yeah, it looks like the soil is getting different - all disturbed crests of dunes are kinda brighter. IMHO the etched terrain won't be much different than the plains behind Oppy - just the soil will be much brighter.

PS. I'm working on simple image name decoder, probably will finish it in couple of hours.
akuo
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 13 2005, 10:49 AM)
Actually - yes - that's all that's needed.  It's just annoying having to copy the filename into a batch file, save it, getting up a dos window, then running the batch file.  A simple thing like MMB would be perfect.

Erm, has to be some strange logic to end up with that solution.

Since you are starting up a dos window anyway, why not type in the command directly there? You can just do
C:\rawid.exe 1R166636041EFF5400P1315R0M1.JPG
and it'll give you the output, assuming rawid.exe is in your PATH. The simplest way of ensuring that is just copy the file rawid.exe into C:\Windows or C:\Windows\system.

I wish people would still learn command line interfaces. They are hugely powerful for simple tasks like this. I would never want to run something like this in a GUI.

I haven't tried Midnight Mars Browser, but I am surprised that decoding of the file names isn't included there.
djellison
Yes - but you cant copy and paste into a dos box - you have to type the filename (and 99% of the time get it a bit wrong smile.gif

doug
akuo
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 13 2005, 01:12 PM)
Yes - but you cant copy and paste into a dos box - you have to type the filename (and 99% of the time get it a bit wrong smile.gif

Yes you can. There is a menu behind the little C:\ prompt icon in the upper left corner of the dosbox window and you can do Edit->Paste there.
David S.
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 13 2005, 01:12 PM)

doug

I believe you can Doug, i just tried (Win2k) : by right clicking in the dos box, it pasted the text i copied before. cool.gif

edit : i just saw akuo answer, we posted at the same time, both answers are valid though smile.gif
djellison
My GOD do you have any idea how long I've been trying to do that for ohmy.gif

Thanks chaps smile.gif

Doug
arccos
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 13 2005, 08:40 AM)

Antlion pit! smile.gif)
Jeff7
QUOTE (arccos @ Apr 13 2005, 09:02 AM)

Antlion pit! smile.gif)

What the heck, that thing is quite odd looking - and there's a smaller one to the left of it, slightly farther away. I'd imagine something like that to be fairly fresh too.

How long ago was this picture taken? Did Opportunity already move away from it?
Marcel
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Apr 13 2005, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (arccos @ Apr 13 2005, 09:02 AM)

Antlion pit! smile.gif)

What the heck, that thing is quite odd looking - and there's a smaller one to the left of it, slightly farther away. I'd imagine something like that to be fairly fresh too.

How long ago was this picture taken? Did Opportunity already move away from it?

Must have been taken last week. I felt silent after seeing this. blink.gif If it's a meteorite crater, it certainly must be fresh. If it is not...then what is it ? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.