Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Tesheiner
Ok, here's the map update corresponding to sol 2781.
GE issues aside, I slightly refined the last two or three positions because I misidentified Turkey Haven on the previous maps. There was a little bump on sol 2783 but that's irrelevant at the scales I'm handling here.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2790.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Wow, more than five months without posting to this thread!
And now I see that I even forgot to post the last version I had, labelling the winter Greeley Haven.

Here's it and also including Opportunity's first steps after the winter during sol 2947, barely visible on the zoom area and on the GE version.
Click to view attachment
Stu
I know it's silly, but I'm actually grining as I look at your post Tesh...! laugh.gif
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 9 2012, 12:07 AM) *
barely visible on the zoom area and on the GE version.

I totally agree. We need to do something about this: wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Paolo
Tesheiner
Here's an update of the route maps.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the route layer for the "AMES background map".
Tesheiner
Route map for sol 2963 and KML layer too.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2965.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the route map updated with the latest info from sol 2969.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2971.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2989.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's another map update, for sol 3008.
Click to view attachment
Pando
Holy smokes. Past a million views for this thread!

<bows to Tesh, the Man!>

biggrin.gif
Phil Stooke
"Past a million views for this thread!"

Yes, but most of them were me!

Phil

Tesheiner
I'm "back to business" after the summer vacations and thought it would be time to post an up-to-date map. Here's it.
Click to view attachment
DFinfrock
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 31 2012, 07:48 PM) *
I'm "back to business" after the summer vacations

Welcome back! And just in time for Curiosity's landing. Are you planning to also do a Curiosity Route Map thread, or will that be up to someone else?
Tesheiner
Dunno yet. My MER route maps on their current "incarnation" are very dependent on the availability of mobility data. Let's wait and see what kind of data is publicly provided for MSL.
Tesheiner
Now that MSL is transitioning to a new SW release, it looks like there were some time / resources allocation to let Opportunity drive. That was done today, sol 3040, and here is the updated route map and Google Earth layer.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edited: And speaking of Google Earth, check this post.
Tesheiner
The maps, updated to sol 3042.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3044.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3046.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3049.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 3051.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

BTW, I've slightly adjusted the plots for the previous two sols, thanks to the navcam mosaics.
Tesheiner
Sol 3053 and almost reaching the 35km mark.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3056, and the 35km has been crossed.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3057.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3063. Since we will probably be around this site for some time, I enabled the "zoom" again on the JPEG map.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 3070-3071.
The net movement relative to 3063 was too short to plot it at the main 1m/pix image so I made it only visible on the zoom portion and GE.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
It's almost one month since the last update to this thread. Here is an up-to-date route map and the Google Mars layer, corresponding to Opportunity's position as of sol 3098.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a quick KML file for Google Earth, updated with the position on sol 3101.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: Added the usual JPEG route map.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3104.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Yet another update. Sol 3105.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 3107.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Just a quick preview of the route map after sol 3110 and only taking into account the rover's "telemetry". I'll make a proper post later on after adjusting this new position with the navcam images.
Click to view attachment

(Just kidding) Is Opportunity playing the "Drunken Sailor"? laugh.gif
fredk
I've been eager to see how the route develops since this update where they said
The plan ahead is a drive around "the loop" that encompasses the terrain mapped by the orbital clay observations and survey the area with rover imagery.
So it looks like this "drunken sailor" path is giving us clues about what the latest CRISM imagery shows.
Tesheiner
And now the "standard map products" for sol 3110.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 23 2012, 10:16 PM) *
I've been eager to see how the route develops since this update where they saidSo it looks like this "drunken sailor" path is giving us clues about what the latest CRISM imagery shows.

Pretty nice deduction! Anyway the shape of the tajectory is looking like a "?"
Tesheiner
Sol 3112.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3114. The map at 1m/pix is becoming too cluttered around this area. sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3117.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3119.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
Thanks Tesh! Only 7 downloads?!?!? Come on people! Don't forget Oppy!! She might not be able to take sexy self portraits but she's still roving...! smile.gif

Time for a reminder of where Oppy is in relation to those phyllosilicates she drove all the way to Cape York to hunt for in the first place...

Click to view attachment
fredk
That's for the kmz file. The jpeg map has 235 downloads and counting! We haven't forgotten the gal yet!

BTW, that CRISM map is old data - they have higher resolution data (which we haven't seen) that they're basing the current survey on.
Reckless
Hi Stu

I'm one of the (magnificent) seven and I'm surprised the figure is so low.
Tesh has done a really great job over the years we won't forget any of the mars rovers partly thanks to all his work. smile.gif

Roy F
ngunn
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 3 2012, 03:14 PM) *
The jpeg map has 235 downloads and counting!

BTW, that CRISM map is old data - they have higher resolution data (which we haven't seen)

That's me in the happy crowd of 235 then. smile.gif

Regarding that improved CRISM map: Every time this comes up I have the same nagging thought that actually we have seen it and it's buried in a post somewhere in who-knows-which thread. Does anyone else think they remember this? If it's just me I'll assume I imagined it.
Phil Stooke
This may be of interest though it doesn't directly map the clays:

http://www.kiss.caltech.edu/workshops/xter...arvidson_sc.pdf

Phil

centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 3 2012, 10:14 AM) *
That's for the kmz file. The jpeg map has 235 downloads...
I follow the maps faithfully but never download the kmz file. What am I missing?
Explorer1
It's for Google Earth, which we don't all use.
Stu
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 3 2012, 03:14 PM) *
BTW, that CRISM map is old data - they have higher resolution data (which we haven't seen) that they're basing the current survey on.

Yep, I know it's old data, but as you say we haven't seen the new data yet; can only use what we've got smile.gif

And you did all see the smile.gif I put at the end of my comment, right? It wasn't a criticism. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.