Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
mhoward
I disagree there; I think she still has some driving to do before she gets to the winter outcrops. But we'll see.
ngunn
I agree with Fred (but he was quicker linking to the relevant map version). I think that there is a distinction between the Winter Outcrops which provide good northerly slopes and the clay-rich geological target zone which is east facing and may need to wait for spring.
Tesheiner
I had no time to properly update my maps recently and I will be travelling for about a week starting tomorrow, so I prepared this current map update in a hurry. It's only the KML version, automatically created from the rover's metadata, no corrections at all. I will do the latter when back home next week.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Back to business, here's yet another map update. Several previous positions were re-adjusted and I also added a couple of additional ground features, including the current site "Moreton Island".
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update of my earlier map to sol 3506. I have not figured out 3507 yet, but a Mike said in the other thread it's on the edge of the winter outcrop area.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's my take on the maps, updated up to sol 3512 although this last site --the current one-- must still be checked against the ground images.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

PS: I was more than two weeks off with almost no connection due to a major problem with my ADSL / phone line, and my only way to access the net was via the cellphone. Now everything is working fine so I can have my daily fix.
Phil Stooke
Everything we've seen Opportunity do in the last few months has occurred within one dot on Tesheiner's map, so here's an enlargement showing our recent travels. Some details of the route may be edited later.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 6 2014, 04:28 PM) *
Everything we've seen Opportunity do in the last few months has occurred within one dot on Tesheiner's map,

She finally left the vicinity of the "last red dot on the map". I'll post an update soon.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: done.
Phil Stooke
I just updated my map of Opportunity for my book, and thought I would put it here as well.

Phil

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Thanks a lot Phil ! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Tesheiner
It was quite a long time since my last post in this thread but finally I decided to put my hands back on the route map and prepare an update. Since most of my previous posts here were just "crops" of the map I thought it would be also time to attach the big picture.
Here's it, good up to sol 3644.
Click to view attachment

And the file for Google Earth too. This one took some more effort because I had to include a few additional "control points" in order to match the path with the background map.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
My update, after sol 3650, and including the 39km landmark crossed during sol 3639.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's my route map update for sol 3653. The position is approximate because it is only based on the own rover's mobility info.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here is a map of activities on Pillinger Point and vicinity. The small white site symbols show where IDD work was done (any combination of MI, APXS, RAT). (EDIT: corrected after seeing the next post)

Phil

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Phil, I think that Cape Denbigh should be on the SE side of Oppy. Assuming I'm not mistaken in the labelled MP screen-grab I posted to Twitter yesterday.

https://twitter.com/nivnac/status/478635677060710401
Phil Stooke
Thanks, I will fix it and replace the image when I can get to it. EDIT - I have corrected the mistake and updated the route to sol 3696.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3705.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A new map update to sol 3716. The last position is a bit uncertain.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3718.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Opportunity update to 3719.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3721.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Map update to sol 3725, but the location is only approximate and may need correcting.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3728, still rather approximate. I don't know exactly where the 40 km mark is, so it may move a bit as well within that drive. The square symbols are places where the IDD instruments were used.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3730 - the location is a bit uncertain still. EDIT - I have removed the map I posted originally and substituted a corredcted version. The last two locations have been changed on the basis of circular versions of Jan's panoramas and should be pretty good now. Sol 3725 is still uncertain and may be a bit too far north.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3732 - the position is based on hazcams only and may be revised. Back on rock again!

Phil

Click to view attachment
dilo
At this point (40.2 km), Oppy completed its official Marathon! laugh.gif

Admin: Well, the old marathon distance of 40kms. Modern marathons are 42.195 kilometres. So 2kms more. Go Oppy Go!
Phil Stooke
Marathon or not... pass the water bottle!

EDIT:

".... If the rover can continue to operate the distance of a marathon -- 26.2 miles (about 42.2 kilometers) -- it will approach the next major investigation site mission scientists have dubbed "Marathon Valley." ....." - from JPL press release today.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3737 - a drive back up the tracks about 30 m.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's a wider view of the area with the sol 3744 drive added. The location is pretty good, but the path might be off a bit.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3746, same comments apply. I am assuming that the target name Cape Stevens applies to the hill up ahead, but time will tell.

EDIT: no, I was wrong - I have removed the original map and replaced it with a corrected one.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update for sol 3749 - moving pretty fast!

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3750, with a correction for the previous path.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I have added the most recent drives, but the exact locations have not yet been determined properly. I will correct any errors later.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's an update to the current location, with a few corrections from the earlier sols. The present position is still a bit uncertain.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3781, with the previous location slightly adjusted.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another update to sol 3785 - last two positions a bit uncertain, though 3785 should be pretty good.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We need a close-up map here - update to sol 3789.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Adam Hurcewicz
What position of Opportunity is now ?
Where I can find info about that?
djellison
This thread. The post before yours.
Adam Hurcewicz
But what of coordinates are now ? N and ? S on surface. This map don't tell me that.
Phil Stooke
Try this one - nearly up to date but I will be revising it soon. The coordinates on the edges are kilometres from the landing site.

Click to view attachment

as 60 km = 1 degree (approximately), we are a third of a degree south of the landing site and a sixth of a degree east of it.

Phil
climber
i.e. 22,95 km from Eagle.
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3823 -moving south of Ulysses now.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's a close-up map of the area on the rim of Ulysses. Reminder - the white squares are sites where the arm is used (MI, APXS and occasionally the RAT)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3827:

Click to view attachment

Phil
Phil Stooke
A closeup as we approach a new IDD target (presumably).

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
No, there was no IDD work at that location - and now we are heading south.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3834. The grid has 100 m spacing. I'm thinking now that 3833 should be moved slightly south - needs more thought.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's the soil 3837 drive, making good progress towards the Cape.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
It's been tricky getting a good location recently, but I think I have it for the current sol. We are almost exactly 21 km south of Eagle crater now. The white line is the planning path from Larry Crumpler's blog.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.