Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
general
Oppy will start moving again as soon as the JPL engineers have found a secure way to store her arm. Until then, we'll just have to wait.
Shaka
QUOTE (general @ Jan 10 2006, 10:50 AM)
Oppy will start moving again as soon as the JPL engineers have found a secure way to store her arm. Until then, we'll just have to wait.

Though her first move will be about one meter, right over to the festooned bedding, followed by mapping the whole exposure with the MI. Whether that will be followed by brushing and RATting and MTESing - the whole box and dice - remains to be seen.
wink.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (general @ Jan 10 2006, 09:50 PM)

I'm checking the Pancam Data Tracking web daily, looking for the seqs. which should indicate a planned move...

Pretty sure that somebody will make a post with big bold letters announcing the drive, but we must be patient.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jan 10 2006, 04:21 PM)
Though her first move will be about one meter, right over to the festooned bedding, followed by mapping the whole exposure with the MI.  Whether that will be followed by brushing and RATting and MTESing - the whole box and dice - remains to be seen.
wink.gif

I am just curious about the source of your information. I have already checked the MER Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface and see no an indication that Oppy will move one meter...
Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
660 p2581.13 0  10  0  0  1  11  pancam_parks_L234567Rall
665 p2090.02 0  5  0  0  2  7    pancam_cal_targ_L247R27
665 p2090.02 0  5  0  0  1  6    pancam_cal_targ_L247R27
665 p2425.06 0  0  0  10  3  13  pancam_east_photometry_L247R27
665 p2425.06 0  0  0  9  2  11  pancam_east_photometry_L247R27
665 p2426.06 0  0  0  14  4  18  pancam_west_photometry_L247R27
665 p2426.06 0  0  0  7  2  9    pancam_west_photometry_L247R27
665 p2598.13 0  0  0  2  1  3    pancam_drake_L7R1
669 p2090.02 5  0  0  0  0  5    pancam_cal_targ_L247R27
669 p2425.06 10  0  0  0  0  10  pancam_east_photometry_L247R27
669 p2426.06 15  0  0  0  0  15  pancam_west_photometry_L247R27
669 p2535.14 2  2  0  0  2  6    pancam_Paulden_L7R1
669 p2600.07 2  2  0  0  2  6    pancam_tau
669 p2600.07 2  2  0  0  2  6    pancam_tau
669 p2619.08 57  0  0  0  0  57  pancam_skysurvhi_L2345678R345678
    Total    93  26  0  42  22  183

Now it is Sol 699 (time 1:52 am)

Rodolfo
Shaka
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jan 10 2006, 11:50 AM)
I am just curious about the source of your information. I have already checked the MER Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface and see no an indication that Oppy will move one meter...
Now it is Sol 699 (time 1:52 am)

Rodolfo

And the Great Steverino did stand forth from the Citadel of Mount Ithaca and did Proclaim in a Loud Voice:
"Once we've got Opportunity moving again, our first task is going to be to drive over to this spot and take a big Microscopic Imager mosaic on it, to document the cross-bedding in detail. "
And the Multitudes did Rejoice, saying: Lo! Our Mighty PI hath spaken! Rejoice and be Glad!
(insert emoticon for awed adulation)
djellison
i.e. - Steve mentioned it in his last update smile.gif

Doug
mhoward
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 10 2006, 10:05 PM)
i.e. - Steve mentioned it in his last update smile.gif

Doug

I like the way Shaka put it, though. smile.gif Gave me a good laugh.
Sunspot
I think we can cross Victoria Crater off the list of places to visit ... sad.gif I don't think there's any chance at all of making it there now.
dot.dk
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jan 10 2006, 11:11 PM)
I think we can cross Victoria Crater off the list of places to visit ...  sad.gif  I don't think there's any chance at all of making it there now.

Hey, don't say that yet smile.gif

When they get Oppy moving again they'll probably only use the arm on very interesting targets.

That'll probably mean more driving time wheel.gif
Shaka
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jan 10 2006, 01:11 PM)
I think we can cross Victoria Crater off the list of places to visit ...  sad.gif  I don't think there's any chance at all of making it there now.

No wukkin' furries, Mate! I've got The Fat Lady chained-up down in the basement, with duct tape over her mouth! biggrin.gif
dot.dk
We are ON the MOVE again!!!

Way to go Oppy and JPL! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

djellison
singing - We're on the road again.... smile.gif

Navcam show tiny tiny movement of the IDD in its park position, but not too bad at all. I assume we're in situ for the festoon imaging MI work.

Doug
akuo
YAHOO! great to see that!

The movement is no simple task. I bet the flight sofware had lots of checks that the rover doesn't move without the IDD in stow position. I'm surprised that they didn't have to update the whole software.
dot.dk
Also the autonomus navigation software will have to be updated to take the new arm position into account.

It is not obscuring the same part of the hazcam view.
bergadder
I am so looking forward to an to some updates, here.. When Steve said south, will that not take us past Mogollon, on route to Victoria (I assume the last chart has North up)?
CosmicRocker
That's the $64,000 question, as far as I can tell. His emphasis on the "drive south" after hitting nearby targets, without a mention of the rim, does make one wonder. Mogollon is not south of the present location, unless I am very disoriented.

What's the story about both joints #1 and #2 having issues this past week? That's both altitude and azimuth. sad.gif
Bill Harris
Mogollon is not south of the present location...

It was south of this "overgaard" location, at least since the 21 Nov route map:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...pe=post&id=2461

--Bill
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 31 2006, 12:17 AM)
What's the story about both joints #1 and #2 having issues this past week?  That's both altitude and azimuth.  sad.gif

Yes, I do believe that the joint #1 corresponds to altitude and Joint #2 to azimuth. You can see the recent pictures from exploratorium about the new position of IDD, at the center and close to PMA.
See it about the stowed IDD position.

Rodolfo
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jan 31 2006, 06:14 AM)
It was south of this "overgaard" location, at least since the 21 Nov route map:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...pe=post&id=2461

--Bill

OMG! You're absolutely correct, and I should have known better. Now, I am trying to figure out how I became so thoroughly disoriented. Thanks for setting me straight.
Bill Harris
We've been headed in this direction forever-and-a-day, so I'd figure that we might adjust. I have to remind myself ever so often. I suspect that we are accustomed to seeing a proper "North Up" map view and not flipping our southerly travel direction when we switch from "ground" to "map" view.

--Bill
CosmicRocker
Hehe. You know, I almost offered that as a kind of alibi in my earlier post, but decided to admit my error and "take my medicine." Thanks for coming to my defense.

For some reason I am reminded of the famous quotation, "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit." cool.gif
Bill Harris
Now that Oppy is On The Road Again, here is the route suggestion that we had 2-3 months ago. This will do til we get a wonderful Dilo or Tesheiner route map online....

--Bill
mars loon
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Feb 15 2006, 01:27 PM) *
Now that Oppy is On The Road Again, here is the route suggestion that we had 2-3 months ago. This will do til we get a wonderful Dilo or Tesheiner route map online....

--Bill

OSU Mapping and GIS Lab have just updated the Oppy route map to Sol 727 here:

http://shoreline.eng.ohio-state.edu/album/...003/opp_727.jpg

JPL Traverse map is still at Sol 656 (29 Nov 2005) as of today, 19 Feb 2006.
Toma B
What's going on???
We were just ready to start driving, than IDD developed some problems, again, than there was some "small diagnostic movements", but we aren't moving at all... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
WHAT'S UP THIS TIME?
djellison
Chill.

Diagnostics take time. This isnt a destruction derby.

Doug
jvandriel
It is a scientific mission.

Not Daytona 500.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
QUOTE (mars loon @ Feb 19 2006, 04:38 PM) *
OSU Mapping and GIS Lab have just updated the Oppy route map to Sol 727 here:

http://shoreline.eng.ohio-state.edu/album/...003/opp_727.jpg

JPL Traverse map is still at Sol 656 (29 Nov 2005) as of today, 19 Feb 2006.

Actually there is basically no difference between them. The rover position at sol 727 is the "same" as of sol 656, at least at this scale. wink.gif
ilbasso
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Feb 20 2006, 06:57 AM) *
It is a scientific mission.

Not Daytona 500.

jvandriel

Yes, but for us mere spectators, it's frustrating to realize that half of Opportunity's Mars lifetime ago, we were already well south of the heat shield.

We got spoiled by all the exciting discoveries in and around Eagle and Endurance. And remember how anxious a lot of us were to get Oppy out of Endurance? We were getting bored there, too!

I'm sure the rover drivers would like nothing better than to get Oppy moving again.

I have been reading "Apollo: The behind the scenes story...". In the chapter about setting up the procedures for Mission Control, two of Chris Kraft's fundamental guiding tenets were, paraphrased:

1. "If you don't know what to do, don't do anything."
2. "You will continue [flying] only if the next thing that happens to you -- and it's the worst thing you can think of to couple with the problems you already have -- is still survivable."

That kind of methodical approach runs counter to our "let's try this and see if it works" mentality, but it sure makes for fewer broken spacecraft in the long run.
mars loon
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 20 2006, 02:35 PM) *
Actually there is basically no difference between them. The rover position at sol 727 is the "same" as of sol 656, at least at this scale. wink.gif

yeah, that was just a point of information I noticed. the team is being extremely cautious in movements so as not to make the situation worse and requests patience.
dilo
This is the route I would like (red arrows), but there is a more direct opportunity (stright light blue).
Click to view attachment

I would like to update my old route map, but in this moment I have some issue with PovRay software sad.gif ...
Anyway, results wouldn't be very reliable due to the topography in the present position!
stevesliva
QUOTE (dilo @ Feb 25 2006, 05:43 AM) *
I would like to update my old route map, but in this moment I have some issue with PovRay software sad.gif ...
Anyway, results wouldn't be very reliable due to the topography in the present position!

Thanks for the update! I was wondering if you'd just stopped reading the Oppy forum. I really appreciatd your maps, and was looking at them just last night to figure out where we are now.
Bill Harris
Until we get a wonderful Dilo or Tesheiner route map online here is a current Route Map based on the R1500822 MOC image. This is the western rim of Erebus crater showing the Mogollon Rim region South of the Olympia bedrock.

One question: I have always assumed that "Payson" is the broad extent of outcrop to the Southeast of the current Sol 742 position, but the JPL mission updates suggest that Oppy is now at Payson. A minor nitpick, but I'll need to change the annotations on several maps if this is so.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
I think JPL means Opportunity is at the outer edge of the Payson area - I still think Payson is the large outcrop area with the prominent bulge and steep edge.

Phil
RNeuhaus
I would rather that Oppy transverse on the East side of Payson so it can observe more interesting outcrop stratas. After that, there might be a easy climb to cross the Mogollon rim toward the south route to Victoria.
Tesheiner
Route map, updated to sol 742.

Click to view attachment (390k)
Tesheiner
Route map, including my estimation for sol 745 (based on Phil polar pan for sol 742).

Click to view attachment (239k)

Edit: I've included the landing ellipse on it. What do you think?
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 28 2006, 09:51 AM) *
Route map, including my estimation for sol 745 (based on Phil polar pan for sol 742).

As ever, great - but no hypothetical path?

Bob Shaw
djellison
Spot On for the ellipse as I understand it - the only ellipse worth using really is the pre-launch ellipse, which my photoshopping shows to be in the same spot as yours there.

Doug
Bill Harris
>Edit: I've included the landing ellipse on it. What do you think?

I'd label it "southern edge of landing ellipse" since those who have not followed the landing ellipse discussion might not understand which part it is. I would be inclined to make the line narrower since the width of the line was due to the small scale of the original landing site image.

Otherwise, it's fine.

--Bill
djellison
I'd keep the ellipse line large - that demonstrates the level of accuracy to which we know it (and probably just as accurate as when it was defined) To make it thinner would suggest a level of accuracy we just don't have.

Doug
Bill Harris
I'd keep the ellipse line large - that demonstrates the level of accuracy to which we know it...

Good point and that crossed my mind after I posted. Actually, the landing ellipse is an area of uncertainty around the landing point and we certainly don't know that zone of uncertainty with precision.

--Bill
odave
So does Oppy get her 6 points when she breaks the plane of the ellipse, or does she need to be completely in the end zone?

smile.gif
helvick
QUOTE (odave @ Feb 28 2006, 02:32 PM) *
So does Oppy get her 6 points when she breaks the plane of the ellipse, or does she need to be completely in the end zone?

She has to be clearly over the line and fully in control of the ball at the time. smile.gif
dvandorn
No, no, no -- the *ball* has to cross the plane of the ellipse line. That's all that's required.

Oppy is a pretty good running back, she's rushed for well over a thousand yards in this, her rookie season. But who are we going to get to kick the extra point?

-the other Doug
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Feb 28 2006, 02:13 PM) *
As ever, great - but no hypothetical path?

Bob Shaw

Oh, not for the moment.
I had one when we were discussing about the way to Mogollon rim, which makes no sense now.
Future path to Victoria? That would be too much for a guess.

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 28 2006, 02:43 PM) *
Spot On for the ellipse as I understand it - the only ellipse worth using really is the pre-launch ellipse, which my photoshopping shows to be in the same spot as yours there.

Doug

It's a mask based on a copy&paste from your previous post, that's why they are at the same spot. biggrin.gif
Burmese
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 28 2006, 08:56 AM) *
But who are we going to get to kick the extra point?

She gets the extra point when she sights Victoria in full back behind the goal line.
Bill Harris
Right, the hypothetical paths were done because that area north of Erebus was a big Skinner Box and we didn't know which way Oppy would go. biggrin.gif

My guess for a possible path would be along the light bedrock exposure in a southeast direction with stops as needed. After that, who knows? Hopefully by that time we'll have orbital imagery from MRO for guidance.

--Bill
Tesheiner
OT: The landing ellipse issue reminded me of an indication about the Greenwich meridian in the highway going from Madrid to Barcelona.

Google found me this: http://www.microsiervos.com/archivo/mundor...-greenwich.html (Text in spanish, but there are some pics to the right)
RNeuhaus
Outside of ellipse line, is like as an unknown terrain so, after crossing that line, Oppy becomes an interprid adventurer and it must take own risks on their hike toward to Victoria crater.

Rodolfo
neb
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 28 2006, 02:51 AM) *

Click to view attachment (239k)

Anyone care to estimate where that pile of dark rocks (we passed by) is on this image. The dark area to the right of the rover looks to be easily penetrated and might be worth investigating to see what it represents.I personally am not in a hurry to get to Victoria because I don't see any access to the crater, so what do we do then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.