Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Phil Stooke
A rather crude update while I work on an extension to the base map. But you can see the fracture we are sitting on.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Map update to sol 3868, our latest drive. I don't have images yet so this is just approximate, but we must be somewhere near a small crater visible in HiRISE. This map extends south to the summit area, only a few hundred metres away now.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
update to sol 3870.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3873, with a correction to the previous location.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
An update based on a reprojected Hazcam image - should be reasonably accurate. And the map is made more accurate still by having the grid labels corrected (compare with the last one), thanks to eagle-eyed reader Lucas! Seriously, any additions or corrections are welcome at any time.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Floyd
The bigger context.

Phil Stooke
I'm updating my last map to show the new feature name Hayabusa - despite what Mike Seibert wrote in his tweet on the subject, it was imaged on sol 3875, not 3873 (check his map)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Getting closer to the summit.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
For this first update of the year, a slightly longer view - the bottom of this map is very close to Marathon Valley.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A quick update to show us on the peak, with locations improved a bit thanks to Larry Crumpler's new map. Thank you Larry!

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We drove south on sol 3902, on the way to Marathon Valley - but there's a nice blocky crater just ahead.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is the approximate location on sol 3906. There is a blocky ridge just to our west which hints at our position, but I'm not certain I have it right.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here we are, zooming down to Marathon Valley on sol 3908.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I updated the full length of this part of my map, using Tim Parker's new map to improve my positions in some cases. And we drove again on sol 3909.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another move and some new names!

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We just had a 25 m drive on sol 3914. Location is only approximate so far.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Quick map update after a drive on sol 3916.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another quick update after the sol 3918 drive. This looks like a spot to study the outcrop for a bit.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I had to extend my map a bit to the east to fit the latest drive. They can't go too much further in this direction.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Looks like it's time to start a new enlarged map. Now we can see how close we are to the valley as well.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Floyd
Thanks Phil, the map is fantastic!
vikingmars
Thanks so much Phil : how nice !!!
I hope they will take a global look on the valley from one of those two vantage points (yellow dots)...
The view should be truly spectacular ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3926. Now I see a path to the east here which might allow a view of the valley floor, so maybe we will turn east after all.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Pando
Just wanted to comment that this thread was started exactly 10 years ago! It's just unbelievable that Oppy is still going strong.

Fantastic work on the mapping Tesh, Phil, and everyone else who contributed to this thread with 1.297834 million views...

smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Pando, your early work was inspirational.

Here's the update to sol 3930 (EDIT - replaced with corrected version). Looks like we are heading to one of Olivier's viewpoints.

Phil

Click to view attachment
atomoid
Indeed, and its fitting that this page number is nice round 222 as well! I remember when this thread started (i lurked anonymously for about a year before registering at UMSF) and the thought back then was perhaps if were really really lucky we just might make it to Victoria.

That seemed such a far-flung hope back then, and i remember one repeated concern while traversing the dunes all those years was if all else went well, and so much else could go wrong, then the battery recharge capacity certainly would due become a major limiting factor, and now i haven't heard talk of that since.

Now to think Oppy not just merely survives with stationary transmissions but presses onward up mountains almost 5 years after Spirit kicked the bucket, and does so with little more than what amounts to a manageable gimp, this continues to baffle and amaze!
climber
Oppy completed the first half Marathon on June 19th 2010 on Sol 2275, 3 months after Spirit stopped talking to us.
"On Sol 2274 (June 17, 2010), the rover completed over 60 meters (197 feet) driving due east. On Sol 2276 (June 19, 2010), the rover made a small J-turn to avoid a ripple and then headed 72 meters (236 feet) east. With this drive, Opportunity has passed the distance for a half-marathon (21,097.5 meters, or 13 miles)."

She is doing the second half much faster : 1655 Sols so far with still around 190 m to go
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3932... to check out some interesting rocks. They don't look like the same old impact breccia we've seen all along the ridge so far.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A nice little move to another scenic spot on sol 3936.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Astro0
From Mike Seibert's twitter feed - Opportunity stats as of Sol 3927 - Total odometry: 42020.91m
Is it time for a little marker on the map or perhaps a little winner's line tape wink.gif
djellison
42,195 will be the Marathon line. Not far at all smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Here's a summary of our activities on Cape Tribulation:

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
... and an update of the last detailed map. The white squares are sites of in situ observations (any combination of APXS and MI activities with the arm)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We just moved away from the cliffs and down towards the valley on sol 3945. I only have a very vague idea about location and path, so this will be corrected later.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3948, making quite a big correction to the previous position now we have a full pan down.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another move - looks like we are on our way down to the valley now. The position is only approximate at the moment.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Down in the valley at last! This location is good, but the path is conjectural until I know more. EDIT - replaced with a good path from a useful tweet... thanks, Mike.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And a detailed map of the area around our last stop.

Phil

Click to view attachment
atomoid
NASA's Opportunity Mars Rover Passes Marathon Distance http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4521

"There was no tape draped across a finish line, but NASA is celebrating a win. The agency's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity completed its first Red Planet marathon Tuesday -- 26.219 miles (42.195 kilometers) - with a finish time of roughly 11 years and two months"................
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3968.

Phil

Click to view attachment
climber
If we add Spirit ride, MER proogram is short of 75m for roving 50 km (42195 + 7780)
wheel.gif wheel.gif
Phil Stooke
Another move to approach Athens, the light-toned outcrop.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I've made a few modifications to the map... not sure I have the Speckled Hill-Swann Hill business sorted out yet.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3998, moving up to the edge of Spirit of St. Louis. This is only based on reported distance and direction as I have no images yet.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4000 - amazing! The latest positions may not be quite right as I still don't have images. Maps like these made from reprojected panoramas will contain relief distortions which I can't remove at this stage.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
This is just a warning that the 3998 official map seems to have scrambled the sol numbers for the sites... (Eg, 3881 should be 3875, etc.)
Phil Stooke
Tsk Tsk! You can't trust anyone these days.

Here's a quick update to sol 4004.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A short move towards Lindbergh. I'm not sure which feature is Le Bourget, but I suspect it is the rocky raised part of the rim of Spirit of St. Louis, just to our east now.

Phil

Phil Stooke
I enlarged the map to show operations at Spirit of St. Louis better. We just had a drive back towards the edge of the crater, just south of the coconut rocks.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another drive on sol 4016.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.