Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Tesheiner
Here's a link (http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=127283, thanks James!) to a Tim Parker's post with a picture covering the whole route. I did a similar one on my own using CTX and HiRISE images which is the overview picture seen on the top left corner of the route map but I don't have it at full resolution, only at 25m/pix so it's maybe too small for your purposes. The original CTX image covering both VC and Endeavour is P01_001414_1780 but you'll have to rotate and re-scale it to match with the route map. PM me for more details.
ustrax
Thanks Tesheiner! That was just what I was looking for.
Have the new map ready, waiting for tosol's drive to update it, got the arrival to Porcupine set now for march 22 and the end of leg two for October 10, 2009...although I'm expecting Oppy to recover some of those 94 days of delay... wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1797.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
antoniseb
Can someone please remind me what the scale of the grid on this map is?
Thanks in advance.
Tesheiner
100m.
ElkGroveDan
Wow, we're really moving now.
Enceladus75
Fantastic progress is being made by Oppy at the moment. Well done to RoverDriver and his colleagues! smile.gif

Happy days...and I see Spirit is thought to have had a little "cleaning event" over at Gustav. pancam.gif
brellis
Oppy's gotta be setting a 1 week distance record! Keep on truckin'! smile.gif
Tesheiner
Not so fast. Today's drive was the shortest since the occultation period making a net move of around 4m (11.5m backwards followed by 16m forward slightly to the left of the previous path).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
I thought it might help visualise our progress and speed towards Endeavour by plotting Opportunities position every 100 sols on a large map.

Now we're at sol 1800 here is the first one.

Click to view attachment

and with the ripple map overlay

Click to view attachment

James
elakdawalla
Great idea! One typo -- you credit someone named Time Parker smile.gif

--Emily
jamescanvin
So I did - fixed.

Thanks Emily.
Greg Hullender
Thanks, James. I was hoping someone would do that. The local maps are great, but on the long trek, it's really nice to see the big picture from time to time.

--Greg
Tesheiner
Good idea James, specially the one with the ripple map.

> The local maps are great, but on the long trek, it's really nice to see the big picture from time to time.
Local maps ... big picture ...
Now, whould you imagine telling that to the MER team during the nominal mission? laugh.gif
Tesheiner
Here we go with another map update: Sol 1803.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol1806: Another 60m to the odometer.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dig
Hello to all, although I read the forum for some time had never written before.

Tesheiner, the layer of your Route Map for Google Earth must be downloaded each time or if I keep the layer will be updated automatically?

In Google Earth, the Mars view has a layer with the path of the Opportunity, which has differences with yours. Why are these differences?

Greetings
djellison
The one that works via Google is less accurate than Eduardo's. It's also updated less often. I would trust Eduardo's over everything apart from JPL et.al.
Tesheiner
Welcome to UMSF, Dig.

> Tesheiner, the layer of your Route Map for Google Earth must be downloaded each time or if I keep the layer will be updated automatically?

You should download it every time you see an update here.

> In Google Earth, the Mars view has a layer with the path of the Opportunity, which has differences with yours. Why are these differences?

Good question. First of all, I presume you are talking about the different (x,y) positions for a given site in both paths. IMO the difference is probably due to a different translation from (x,y) coordinates to lat/long.
I'm keeping track of the route on a map-projected picture (HiRISE image PSP_009141_1780 in the route map you see here in JPG format) and the process to plot a position on that picture is in a way manual and results in (x,y) coordinates which are good for that image. Now, I'm creating the KML layer for GE automatically using a VB tool and converting the (x,y) into latitude / longitude using fairly simple interpolation. Besides, the HiRISE image you see in GE is not exactly the same I use in the route map. The end result is that these lat/long coordinates may have an error and/or they don't match the same point in both pictures, the one in my route map and the one used by GE.
In any case, this difference is only significant with big zoom factors. smile.gif

Edit: Well, there are other differences too. One was noted by Doug and is because the path "embedded" in GE is updated only up to "Santorini". Another difference is that they are considering only the driving endpoints while my version sometimes use mid-drive points between two consecutive sites.
Tesheiner
I think it's time to post the "big picture" again. Map updated up to sol 1813.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MahFL
When o when will we head SE ?
Does anyone know what the offcial route is ?

Thanks.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (MahFL @ Mar 2 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Does anyone know what the offcial route is ?

I guess this is as official as it gets right now.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=136998
Floyd
Seems like someone (official or here at UMSF) suggested that Porcupine rim is the next stop?
MahFL
Well they must have great faith that Oppy will be able to drive forever...to add all those extra Km to avoid the bigger dunes. I am sure Steve never mentioned this when they first decided to head for Endeavour.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
Map update corresponding to sol 1816. We might be reaching the 15km mark in a few (two?) driving sols.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a quick update with information from sol 1818.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
remcook
Nice long drive. Keep it up Oppy!
(edit: oops, thought this was the other thread)
Tesheiner
Sol 1820.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Marsahod
Why Oppy turned its way back?
jamescanvin
We don't know yet.

Discussion of this type should be posted in this thread rather than here in the route map thread.
Tesheiner
Update for sol 1824.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Small bump on sol 1825.
Added a new feature (Cook Islands) to the map and the 15km mark too.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Wow, three weeks without posting any update here!
I think it's time to post the whole picture again. Sol 1850.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Enceladus75
Hmmm. Oppy seems to be a long time at this one spot.

When can we expect to see her move again? I want to see the distant rim of Endeavour get closer and closer in Oppy's sights! smile.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
I checked the attachment just to see if I posted the wrong picture, but no. Its correct.

> When can we expect to see her move again?

Er, there was a 60m drive less then 24h ago! rolleyes.gif
Tesheiner
Sol 1852.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 1854, including names for the "micro-craters" in the KML file.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after driving during sol 1856.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 1857.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
A quick update after driving a few hours ago during sol 1859, based only in the rover's mobility info (no images yet).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

PD: I believe Rui/Ustrax will like this change of direction. wink.gif
Tesheiner
Update after sol 1860.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ustrax
Well...that's nice... laugh.gif
Looks like Oppy will take the Eastern road to meet my predicted path a little bit south.
I like it. We are on our way.
Tesheiner
Update after sol 1863.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 1864.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1867.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Tesheiner
I guess it may be time to post the whole map again. It is updated up to sol 1870; tosol drive ended about one hour ago!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
Great map, as usual, but they always leave me a bit deflated... I look at the "zoomed in" track and think "Woo hoo! We're flying!" then I look at the bigger picture... "pfffffffffffffttttt"... balloon bursts... we're still MILES away...! sad.gif

Making great progress tho biggrin.gif
climber
Can't get a hand on the big picture. As we're closing to the 10 miles mark, I'm looking for the strait distance to Eagle at this stage. Anybody?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (climber @ Apr 28 2009, 06:07 PM) *
I'm looking for the strait distance to Eagle at this stage. Anybody?

That is something the Google Earth kml is good for - using the ruler I get 9.06km/5.63miles from Eagle Crater
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 28 2009, 07:03 PM) *
We're flying!" then I look at the bigger picture... "pfffffffffffffttttt"... balloon bursts... we're still MILES away...!

There's a nice "progress indicator" on the official route map: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...l1857_1_br2.jpg
We've already covered 16% of the estimated distance to Endeavour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.