Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
djellison
800m marks? Nahh - that would just be added noise to the maps. 100m boxes is enough. Maybe adding a scale of how many metres south and east of Eagle we are would be good however.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 2 2008, 05:22 AM) *
800m marks? Nahh - that would just be added noise to the maps.

Or maybe just make every tenth line a little bolder (not a different color). That would give a Km by Km context for the drive without adding "noise".
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1700.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update for sol 1702.
Click to view attachment
dvandorn
Is it possible to annotate in some manner the route map with ticks or something for every full km traveled since Oppy's departure from the Victoria rim? I mean, we know we're looking at a trip distance of some 15 to 20 km, it might be nice to see the kilometers falling behind us as we make our way along... smile.gif

-the other Doug
Tesheiner
Actually, the map has already such thing, in some manner. I'm reflecting the rover's odometry on the route --note that we crossed the 13km mark around sol 1693-- and given that we left VC by the 12km mark that should be enough. Off course this figure (12km) is just approximate but once the kms start going and going by the odometer, 7km or 7.5km from VC will make no difference.
dvandorn
Oh, sure, I knew you were trying to give a basic odometer reading. I guess I was asking for a trip odometer, as well... rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
Tesheiner
Update for sol 1704.
Click to view attachment
SpaceListener
I am an occasional visitor to USMF. I got scared to see the long hop drives of Oppy. I am really interested in knowing exactly the route driving but I found the route map on the map to be mostly as a straight line except few intelligent zig zag in one day. I am puzzled on how Oppy has detected on the ahead obstacles in one day. I am supposing that the zig zag driving was already planned... rolleyes.gif

My wishlist for this map is to have an exact Oppy's trayectory among crest of dunes. smile.gif
Oersted
Yes, Tesheiners wonderful maps are mainly a tool for keeping track of progress on a daily basis. From location to location. All the maneuvering in-between is not reflected, only major moves. I wonder if there are any maps out there which show it? All the data is there, wheel turns and drive directions and most importantly photos of the tracks left behind. I'd love to see a map with all the wiggles...
djellison
Tesheiner already adds about as much info as we can easily get our hands on, when that data is available ( from the Pancam database)

There used to be more complex mobility data available from the MER workbook, but it was removed some years ago.

Doug
climber
QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Nov 10 2008, 08:07 PM) *
My wishlist for this map is to have an exact Oppy's trayectory among crest of dunes. smile.gif

How do you like this :
Click to view attachment

PS : don't ask me where we are and where it is blink.gif but that from today download
Tesheiner
> ... but that from today download

That's a picture from some time ago, not from the latest drive.
Here's the route map as of sol 1707.
Click to view attachment
Oersted
Thanks for the update Tesheiner! - We'll soon be saying goodbye to Victoria on the route map...
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1709.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
... and for sol 1710.
Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
I know this is sort of a dumb question, but can anyone tell me what HiRISE filename this image was from?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...B_Sol1713_1.jpg
RoverDriver
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 16 2008, 12:17 AM) *

I think we are still within the 1414, but the 9141 includes as much to the south of VC as we need and that's the one I typically look at.

Paolo
Tesheiner
I think it's time to post the whole map again. smile.gif
Update after driving on sol 1770.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a crop of the map with the latest drive which happened during sol 1774.
Click to view attachment

Note: There's a "big" change in the map. It will be evident when I post the whole picture again (after a few more moves) but can you catch it now?
ngunn
half the scale?
Tesheiner
Exactly. I changed the map scale to 1m/pix.
I was trying to keep it at 50cm/pix but adding another 1km x 1km "piece" at the bottom meant either the picture would become too big to handle it "nicely" on my home computer or I would need to take out the upper part of it, the one covering VC. I could do the latter but the result would be a map covering an area about 1km by 2km with a route coming from nowhere and going to nowhere and given that this trek is going to be fast (~100m / drive) I don't want to be shifting the map too often.

With a map @ 1m/pix and my current tools & HW I will (knock on wood) be able to have the route half way to Endurance in a single picture.
Tesheiner
Here's the rover's position as of sol 1776.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the route map now including another km of terrain southwards to the current position (sol 1780).
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a snapshot around sol 1782 position.
Click to view attachment
charborob
Opportunity is still moving generally S-W. Do you think it will turn S-E soon?
Tesheiner
I hope so. See a discussion starting with fredk's comments here: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=135050 (... and let's continue it on that thread)
Tesheiner
Opportunity's updated position after sol 1784. It's purely based on the rover's mobility info and I will double-check it later with the navcams, once they hit the exploratorium web.
Click to view attachment
Edit: now attached the correct map. rolleyes.gif

BTW, the 14km milestone was crossed on sol 1782.
akuo
Tesheiner, looks like that's the same map as 3 posts back.
jamescanvin
Yes, looks like Oppy's off the bottom of that crop now. smile.gif (85m S on 1784)
BrianL
QUOTE (akuo @ Jan 30 2009, 07:04 AM) *
Tesheiner, looks like that's the same map as 3 posts back.

Oppy intentionally moved 0m in a display of solidarity with her fellow rover. biggrin.gif

(I know, don't chat in the route thread, sorry)
Tesheiner
Oooops! Now corrected!

(It was posted at the end of a very busy morning)
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 31 2009, 06:25 AM) *
Oooops!

I think we can all allow you a LOT more oooops's!!!!! rolleyes.gif wheel.gif rolleyes.gif wheel.gif rolleyes.gif
Tesheiner
Quick map update with the latest data from sol 1787, although the drive took place during sol 1786.
Click to view attachment
algorimancer
I've clearly been out of the loop for the past few months. I just realized that Endeavour=Ithaca=Big Crater, and that's where Oppy is heading. Wow. Exactly where I wanted to go. Even Spirit is headed exactly where I wanted to go. I just wish I had more time to follow the trek in detail -- hurricane Ike caused one big disruption, and then I decided to go back to school for a couple of years.

Is there an "official" route map showing the generally intended path between the current position and Endeavour, or is the plan more broadly something like "drive south for a bit, then head a bit south of east until we get there"? All the overview images I've been able to find essentially show a single image of Victoria and Endeavour without any marked routes.
Tesheiner
I haven't seen any map with the projected path (official) for the time being.

Meanwhile, here's my latest update (sol 1791). Looks like they completed the remaining part of the drive aborted on sol 1786.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
The latest map as of sol 1793.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Just playing around...

Launch Google Earth, Select Mars, and open this file:
Click to view attachment

smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
Brilliant! (can you do that from now on?)
helvick
I second that, it's an excellent addition to the map resources.
Floyd
The smooth area immediately ahead looks to me like a filled crater about 400 m in diameter. Look like that to anyone else?

BrianL
QUOTE (Floyd @ Feb 8 2009, 07:28 PM) *
The smooth area immediately ahead looks to me like a filled crater about 400 m in diameter. Look like that to anyone else?

Yep, but I didn't want to be the first one to say it since I'm generally wrong. biggrin.gif
Astro0
OMG! ohmy.gif
TEsh, if you can keep doing that for the rest of the journey and equally for Spirit, this would be the ultimate Route Map.
Flying over Victoria and racing along the surface, then lifting up into the 'air' and seeing the contours of the surface and Endeavour in the distance....WOW it just brings the entire journey to life.

Incredible. Finally I've found a good reason to have Google Earth/Mars on my computer.
Thanks
Astro0
Tesheiner
Thanks, all. There'll be no problem to keep updating it IF I sort out the way to do it automatically.
Quite a long time has passed without exercising my programming skills...
Stephen
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 9 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Thanks, all. There'll be no problem to keep updating it IF I sort out the way to do it automatically.
Quite a long time has passed without exercising my programming skills...

If you do does this mean you won't be posting the maps to this thread on UMSF.com any more?

======
Stephen
ustrax
QUOTE (Stephen @ Feb 9 2009, 09:42 AM) *
If you do does this mean you won't be posting the maps to this thread on UMSF.com any more?

Heresy! ohmy.gif
tongue.gif
Tesheiner
> If you do does this mean you won't be posting the maps to this thread on UMSF.com any more?

No. I enjoy doing them and my intention is to continue. smile.gif
Tesheiner
A quick map update for sol 1795.
Click to view attachment
And the layer(s) for Google Mars: Click to view attachment
ustrax
Tesheiner, from your map covering the whole distance between Victoria and Endeavour is it possible to find posted here the first section? The rectangle on the top left? Eagerly wanting to start mapping the second leg of the journey... smile.gif
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.