Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
BrianL
Nothing odd about typos, it just requires correction
Tesheiner
Thanks for the heads up. I'll correct it on the next update.
Tesheiner
Sol 1666; another long drive.
Click to view attachment

Edited: Corrected position at sol 1663 a few meters to the south based on the navcam pictures.
Tesheiner
From september's issue of the monthly MER Update at TPS:

“Our goal is to drive right past Cape Pelar (sic) to the north end of Cape Victory – Magellan would have called it Cabo Victoria -- and then imaging Cape Pelar (sic) which is the next promontory,” Squyres said. “That’s our objective for the next few sols. Then we’re going to the next promontory to the south and image across of the southern side of Cape Victory. And then, we’re going to hit the gas.”

This is how I understand it.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Another update, after driving on sol 1668.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
No images yet, but this is the position after sol 1670.
Click to view attachment
PaulM
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 2 2008, 08:55 AM) *
From september's issue of the monthly MER Update at TPS:

“Our goal is to drive right past Cape Pelar (sic) to the north end of Cape Victory – Magellan would have called it Cabo Victoria -- and then imaging Cape Pelar (sic) which is the next promontory,” Squyres said. “That’s our objective for the next few sols. Then we’re going to the next promontory to the south and image across of the southern side of Cape Victory. And then, we’re going to hit the gas.”

This is how I understand it...

If I read SS's statement correctly then there are no plans to image the high cliffs between Cape St Mary and Cape Vincent using the PanCam at either of the two promontorys where Oppy will be parked over the next few SOLs.

In an ideal world I would like a few more columns would be added to the the right hand side of the planned image of Cape Victory. This enlarged image would include a clear view of the cliffs between Cape St Mary and Cape Vincent. My scientific justification for producing a slightly larger PanCam panorama is that a lot of effort has already been expended in photographing the cliffs between Cape St Mary and Cape Vincent. However there are a few sections of cliff face that could not be imaged from above. These missing sections of cliff can only be imaged from Oppy's current location.

There is of course another reason for imaging these cliffs. The reason is that this enlarged PanCam could be one of the prettiest views of the entire mission.
Tesheiner
Rover's position after sol 1673.
Click to view attachment
climber
Very close to your understanding on post#2354, may be a little bit more "agressive" (closer to the rim).
Tesheiner
Agressive? Look at this.
Sol 1674.
Click to view attachment
BrianL
Excellent draw weight. Didn't even need to be (clean) swept. biggrin.gif
Tesheiner
The whole picture, updated to sol 1676.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 1679.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Latest update after drive on sol 1683. Check the latest discussions here.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
The latest JPL map gives us a name for the last cape, 'Agulhas'

Phil
tty
Very fitting. Cape Agulhas (not the Cape of Good Hope) is the southernmost tip of Africa. Beyond that there is only the Southern Ocean...
djellison
And Antarctica

smile.gif
climber
Only question remaining: will we go dead South or through Australia...
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 1686.
Click to view attachment

To be double-checked once the navcam images are available.
Tesheiner
Map updated after driving on sol 1687, and the big picture at half size (1m/pix).
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ilbasso
I'm bored. Are we there yet? mad.gif
MahFL
Oh look, some pebbles !
centsworth_II
SHUT UP AND SIT STILL OR SO HELP ME....
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Ah Ah Ah biggrin.gif
Youtube's version wink.gif http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=raNM0UvR_Bo
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1691. Almost 200m on a single drive!!! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Click to view attachment
Shaka
Yeah, stretch that envelope, boys! smile.gif
Juramike
Click to view attachment

"Call the ball , Maverick!"

(W Spur entrance zoom)
Tesheiner
Here's an updated version of the map for sol 1691 taking into account some intermediate points in the drive. The last part of it was almost due south and based on the downlinked imagery I think the next move will go on this general direction: South. My 2c.
Click to view attachment
MahFL
That makes more scense.
Sunspot
Where are they going???
BrianL
Straight for the Victoria-Endeavour Freeway would be my guess. Perhaps to examine the exposed rock?
Tesheiner
That's my guess too, but I wouldn't call it "Freeway". wink.gif
djellison
This isn't the thread for debating routes for the future - this is the route map thread - a place of reference.

Here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...80&start=80
or here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...0&start=660 is a more appropriate place for these discussions.

Doug
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1693.
Click to view attachment
alan
Is the latest position based on tracking data only? I think it may be possible now to match dunes visible in navcam images to the HiRISE image.
jamescanvin
I had a quick go at trying to match the ripples and the outcrops ahead to the HiRISE and it looks to me like Tesheiner's position is bang on. smile.gif

(Not that I'm surprised wink.gif)
Tesheiner
QUOTE (alan @ Oct 29 2008, 03:05 PM) *
Is the latest position based on tracking data only? I think it may be possible now to match dunes visible in navcam images to the HiRISE image.

No. This and the one for sol 1691 were adjusted with the help of polar projections of the navcam mosaics, although the discrepancy in this last sol was only 3 meters.
mhoward
It's kind of fun checking Tesheiner's work, isn't it? I agree the features are a match.
Tesheiner
Here's a portion of the map (at 10cm/pix) and the polar projection user to adjust/pin-point the last position, size by side, if anybody finds that interesting.
Click to view attachment
Juramike
I found that really cool!

So the rock outcrop in the Pancam images is not the bigger rock pavement chunks we see further ahead almost at the bottom of your zoom on the HiRise image, correct?

-Mike
climber
The little very remarkable "crater on a crest" at 7 hours on Eduardo's map is clearly visible in Ant' view.
So far, Eduardo's not lost ...and is even dead right wink.gif

Edited with picture :
Click to view attachment

Edited again, also visble in this forward_hazcam: BTW, I didn't notice what I point out with an arrow here. What is it ?
Click to view attachment
Airbag
QUOTE (climber @ Oct 29 2008, 04:12 PM) *
What is it ?

That is the spare wheel; it was added at the last 5 km oil change. wheel.gif

No, wait, it is the "RAT brush station" really - presumably to allow the RAT to "clean its teeth". Has it ever been used on either rover though?

Airbag
TheChemist
Isn't it about time to get Oppy's perspective ourselves?
After all, we are backseat drivers, not some observers already residing in Endeavour.
I know the convention is to have North at the top, but we are going South gentlemen laugh.gif
I mean, Tesheiner's latest masterpiece looks much more natural upside down.
Why rotate the polar view ? wheel.gif
BrianL
What's happened? It feels like spring, and I've got this overwhelming urge to throw some shrimp on the barbie. biggrin.gif
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1695.
Click to view attachment
gregp1962
What exactly is our destination now? I'd like to see a much much bigger map.
imipak
gregp1962, see http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=128456 , and read further back up the thread - although I think we're off the western edge of this view now!

(Edit: ...and also the map analysis thread; e.g. here's a wider view, posted by SFJCody: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=126300 )
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 1697.
Click to view attachment
Nirgal
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Nov 2 2008, 09:36 AM) *
Map update for sol 1697.

Thanks ! I like the overview thumbnail map you included in the upper left smile.gif
climber
I realy love the little details you added to the map Eduardo smile.gif
I want to suggest one more regarding the horizontal 100m marks you put on the wide view. I've noticed that the traverse (in a strait line) will be about 15 Victoria diameters. You may want to put a different color on these 100m marks each time Oppy progress one Vicky diameters. Just to "pave" the way...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.