Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
jamescanvin
That movement was on 936 - hence why Tesheiner's route map says 931/936.

While the PMA moved a metre or so to get that long baseline the rover only really rotated, so the rover center (according to the tracking site) only moved 50cm (just one pixel on the map)
Phil Stooke
Very nice, Dilo - I've missed your maps.

Phil
RNeuhaus
Today Sol 945 and tomorrow 946 won't be a driving day.

Oopss, PLEASE DISCARD IT SINCE IT BELONGS TO SPIRIT.

Thanks to James for pointing it out.

CODE
Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
945 p2102.13 3   0   3   0   1   7    pancam_isc_voc_cal_L267
945 p2104.10 3   0   3   0   1   7    pancam_mtes_cal_target_L267
945 p2600.09 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau
945 p2619.08 57  2   0   0   3   62   pancam_skysurvhi_L2345678R345678
945 Total    65  4   6   0   7   82

Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
946 p2092.06 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_cal_targ_L456R127
946 p2299.06 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_deck_L456R127
946 p2600.09 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_tau
946 p2632.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_sunset_tau
946 Total    0   0   0   0   0   0

Rodolfo
jamescanvin
That's Spirit your looking at! There is nothing up for Oppy.

But your conclusion is probably right there will be no (significant) driving while they test the new software.
fredk
QUOTE (dilo @ Sep 20 2006, 09:42 PM) *
Thanks to Michael's equirectangular projection, here below the pseudo-polar and the vertical (5 cm/pixel) views of Sol943 site:
Note the paleocrater (I do not remember the nickname) visible immediately WSW of Oppy, with depression influencing the ripples apparent pattern...

Beautiful work, Dilo! Especially in the vertical view you can see that the small pieces of outcrop near us now are actually the remains of the extremely eroded rim of the paleocrater Zeta.

Actually, I know this isn't a route map comment, but Zeta is big, so it must be very old to be as eroded as it is. But it's on the blanket of Victoria, so VC must be older. Interesting how age manifests so differently according to size.
Tesheiner
This is hopefully the "Best & Final" route map version for sol 943, thanks to Dilo's polar and vertical projections.

Click to view attachment

There is a perfect match between the small oucrops seen around the rover on Dilo's picture with some little bright specks near Zeta as seen on the MOC image. This match solves also another problem I had with the previous attempts.
My previous attempt to plot sol 943's position was made by matching the headings to the far rim cliffs as taken from a polar projection with their respective counterparts on the route map. The match was almost perfect for the far rim however the near rim features around the boat ramp Duck Bay --the same ones already seen since sol 929-- didn't match. Strange think because those rocks are not supposed to be moving from sol to sol.
On this final attempt the headings to Epsilon, Zeta, Duck Bay features, and beacon match quite well and this is a good indication. On the other hand, now the far rim cliffs don't match, why? I think it's because of the map distortions, an issue we already discussed before.
climber
You deserve some recreation now Tesheiner :
from last SS update : "... just a lot of little rover moves that don't really go anywhere"
Show us what you can do with this when Oppy's move again wink.gif laugh.gif
Ant103
I've updated my own "aerial route map" from terragen simulation.

And thanks too for Dilo's vertical projection that I have put over the picture wink.gif.
dilo
Happy to serve you, Ant103! smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 21 2006, 01:28 PM) *
You deserve some recreation now Tesheiner :
from last SS update : "... just a lot of little rover moves that don't really go anywhere"
Show us what you can do with this when Oppy's move again wink.gif laugh.gif

Perhaps somethink like this?
Click to view attachment
(animated gif)

laugh.gif
Nirgal
doesn't matter as long as the maximum south-east deviation of the random walk will not exceed,
um, say 60 meters .... wink.gif wink.gif
echo
I want to join in the thanks to you all as well. I like Tesheiner saying his motivation last year was "wanting to know where" in the world Opportunity was. That's a downfall of JPL's job. But it makes your work here all the more vital & exciting. But HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS to the JPL on GETTING TO VICTORIA! and I'm joining you all in rejoicing at this momentous time! COSMIC ROCKER, thanks for the sol references on the apron transition. Its kind of old news compared to the thrill of Victoria now, but didn't you think the Beagle area was fantastic, almost better than Endurance? I'm blown away by that area. Thanks
Tesheiner
My updated route map after sol 948 "drive". smile.gif

Click to view attachment
RNeuhaus
The sol 948 Oppy short drive is, I think it is done in order to check if the new updated software works exactly what the commander says to go advance for 4.99 cms. If it is so, after that successfull testing, this assure that Oppy won't be tipping off the Victoria's rim. wink.gif

Rodolfo
jamescanvin
It may not look it on the map but that was a 25m drive. Oppy drove 10m, then 10m back, then 5m forward again! smile.gif
Bobby
That's 5 more meters towards Big Crater rolleyes.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 25 2006, 01:57 AM) *
It may not look it on the map but that was a 25m drive. Oppy drove 10m, then 10m back, then 5m forward again! smile.gif

Yup.
I was expecting something "weird" like on this previous post (see the attached animated gif), but it looks the test was much simpler. smile.gif
Stu
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 24 2006, 11:57 PM) *
Oppy drove 10m, then 10m back, then 5m forward again! smile.gif

You put your left wheels in, your left wheels out, in out, in out, shake that software out,
You do the Oppy-cokey and you turn around,
that's what it's all about...

(altogether now)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Oppy-okey=cokey...!!!

biggrin.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 25 2006, 10:30 AM) *
Oppy-okey=cokey...!!!
#

So THAT's how you're managing the pre-Victoria tension ( PVT ) - taking DRUGS.

wink.gif

Doug
Stu
Absolutely! biggrin.gif Have to have something to dull the monotony...

(only joking kids, drugs aren't cool. As Zammo said, "Just Say No..." <----- shameless 80s UK kids tv reference exactly 4 people will get! Sorry...)

Not only that, I'll now have that stupid song going round my head all day now too... laugh.gif
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 25 2006, 11:26 AM) *
Yup.
I was expecting something "weird" like on this previous post (see the attached animated gif), but it looks the test was much simpler. smile.gif

So, you were NOT joking ! biggrin.gif
May be your first wrong assesment! I didn't thought you were feeling the pressure too wink.gif
Jeff7
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 25 2006, 06:02 AM) *
#

So THAT's how you're managing the pre-Victoria tension ( PVT ) - taking DRUGS.

wink.gif

Doug

Doing lines of ground up blueberries, are we?
smile.gif
jamescanvin
Route Map for Sol 950.

Click to view attachment

Getting real close!

James
jamescanvin
I could really have done with one extra navcam frame left and right but here is my best guess at the sol 951 position.

Click to view attachment

James
jamescanvin
No doubt about the sol 952 position!

Click to view attachment

Officially arrived at Victoria!

James
Myran
Yes I agree James. The rover have reached he rim and so its arrival in any way which you want to see it. And no more 'Are we there yet'. smile.gif
diane
QUOTE (Myran @ Sep 28 2006, 11:22 PM) *
And no more 'Are we there yet'. smile.gif

I already know that the next question will be "Is it in?"

<clinck clink clink in Doug's swearing bank>
jamescanvin
Sol 955 Route map.

Click to view attachment

James
Arkarch
Did Opportunity bend around the slopes of Duck Bay or cross the slopes; or is the straight line just a convention for the route maps?
MahFL
You can see on this navcam that she did a dogleg.

Navcam
Tesheiner
I was just including the intermediate positions from last drive into the map when I saw Arkarch's post.
Here is a crop of it where you can see the dog-leg.

Click to view attachment
dilo
Sol955 Polar and Vertical projections, based on mhoward stitch:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment(5cm/pixel)
This is for orientation:
Click to view attachment
From Vertical image the drive bending is 24deg; we see also the Sol951-52 drive track in the form of a weak dark arc on the right (in reality, trajectory was straight but local topography make it distorted). The paleocrater in front of Oppy (top-left) is not visible in MGS and perhaps could be an interesting target before to go on Capo Verde...
Tesheiner
No, this is not yet the route map update for sol 957. rolleyes.gif
It's still the route as of two sols ago but now using the "clean" non-annotated background image of Victoria (thanks tom53 and NASA/JPL-Cornell/MSSS). Given that we have finally arrived it doesn't makes sense to keep the current map format with zoom at the left and the whole route at the right, so this is the *last* update using such format.

Click to view attachment

From now on I will keep just the left picture; it saves some bandwidth and I can use a not-so-heavy compression.

... and no "hypotetical path" at least for the time being. wink.gif
ylbs101
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 3 2006, 08:53 AM) *
From now on I will keep just the left picture; it saves some bandwidth and I can use a not-so-heavy compression. ...

What will you do when MRO takes high resolution images of Victoria (soon, as I understand it)? ohmy.gif
Tesheiner
Re-scale them to about the same size (50cm/pixel) as the current ones I'm using here, otherwise my PC would stall! wink.gif
Tesheiner
First of all let me say thanks James for keeping the route map up to date during last week.

And this is the new position after sol 957 driving, extracted from the PCDT web.

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 958).

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 959).

Click to view attachment
Reckless
So will we be having brilliant colour route maps from now on WOW laugh.gif
Roy F
antoniseb
QUOTE (Reckless @ Oct 6 2006, 09:16 AM) *
So will we be having brilliant colour route maps from now on WOW laugh.gif
Roy F

I'm looking forward to these, though, it may take some of the mystery out of what lies ahead.
kenny
Color photo from orbit of little Oppy approaching Cabo Verde...amazing

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21010
Tesheiner
Very, very preliminary route map using this new HiRISE image! biggrin.gif cool.gif

Click to view attachment (407k)
Bill Harris
The Updated Route Map in Post#1938 has to be the record-holder for shortest-lived update here. biggrin.gif And the newest update has a totally appropriate filename. wink.gif

Wow.

--Bill
Indian3000
i can make some telemetry correction now biggrin.gif

the telemetry of these last days be really bad unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
Reckless
Great route map Tesheiner as I said earlier WOW
it is strange seeing the current location of Oppy and seeing the her actually sitting there as well, just like having two rovers at Victoria blink.gif
Roy F smile.gif
RNeuhaus
Great images from Tesheiner and Indian3000!. Now these pictures are sexier! biggrin.gif

Rodolfo
FIN Mars
how mutch is one centimeter in the MRO:victoria map? I mean LARGEST image> http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/press/o...color-annot.jpg

the full image is best; there is about 20-40 meter crater in south.
and i found James Gaird-crater and rovers trakcs in northern
edstrick
If you download the ENTIRE full-resolution HiRISE image strip with Victoria, you can see Oppy's wheel track entering the image at the top, about 1/4 of the way across from the left edge, and slowly angling toward and disappearing off the left edge maybe 1/4 of the way down from the top. The area covered is the very uniform rippled plains, rather like much of Victoria's annulus, before Oppy got to deeper drifts and ran smack-dab into Purgatory.

Heat-shield and Endurance are apparently well off the top of the image.
jamescanvin
I'm a bit rusty at this, and I could have done with the navcam covering Duck Bay, but I think it is more or less right.

Route Map for Sol 992.

Click to view attachment

James
Phil Stooke
This is my version.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.