Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Tesheiner
Sol 2367.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2374.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2375.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2377.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
Kinda playing around with the 13km South line, eh?
Tesheiner
And the 2km East too. laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Ouch! Stop it, you're making me crazy!

Phil
fredk
laugh.gif

Seriously, I've often wondered something about your route maps, Tesheiner: You often show a single sol's drive in multiple segments, rather than just a straight line. On the 2377 drive, the imagery isn't even down yet, so obviously you used the downlinked drive data. I'm curious how the downlinked data is presented: do they provide the distances E/W/N/S for some number of drive segments? Do the segments always correspond to turns?

It's really nice to see that level of detail in your maps.

Edit: one more thing: you forgot to include the kml file with your last map update! laugh.gif laugh.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 1 2010, 08:44 PM) *
I'm curious how the downlinked data is presented

For each picture taken during a drive (e.g. slip-check navcams, post-drive pancams) the (x, y, z) position calculated by the rover itself and relative to the site origin (AR00 in this case) is provided.

That's the easy part in the process of updating the route map. The "hard" one starts afterwards when the pictures are available at the exploratorium; then it's time to make a navcam mosaic, convert it to polar projection and register this picture on a HiRISE image at full resolution. The reason to do it is because the position calculated by the rover itself almost always drifts. E.g during the drive on sol 2375 I had to adjust the final position by 2.5m to the east and 1.5m to the south. It's not too much on a single drive but without these corrections and using only the "telemetry" the route would be way off after a number of driving sols.
Phil Stooke
A wee correction to our wonderful route maps...

Ray Arvidson has a very nice presentation of Opportunity's traverse at the 4th MSL workshop site:

http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/landingsites/...roscopy_opt.pdf

He shows Solander Point as a northern spur of Cape Tribulation. So when the tracking website indicated that an image was looking at Solander Point, it was that, and not the small crater in front of the rover at that point.

Phil
Tesheiner
Thanks for pointing that, Phil. Maps updated.
ngunn
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 2 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Ray Arvidson has a very nice presentation of Opportunity's traverse at the 4th MSL workshop site

Well worth the watch. Thanks for posting that.
Tesheiner
Here's the update for sol 2379.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a preliminary update for sol 2381. I'll probably have to adjust it slightly after the pictures are down.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2382.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

There're some data from sol 2383 but not enough to plot the current position. Perhaps tomorrow.
Tesheiner
A preliminary plot of Opportunity's position after sol 2383.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
It's like she's following a coastline, isn't it? smile.gif

Really need to see some new images soon. I'm going mad here, Ted, mad I tell you...!
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 9 2010, 02:46 PM) *
It's like she's following a coastline, isn't it? smile.gif

Looks like they are aiming for that meandering crack formation, but higher up where there's no sand obscuring it.
Poolio
If memory serves, someone, somewhere, once anticipated that Opportunity would follow along this very coastline...
Tesheiner
So we are back on track. smile.gif

Rui, perhaps it's time for another update of this map.
Tesheiner
Here's an update corresponding to sol 2393 and also including the 24km mark.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Today's drive was once again on the 100m range. Here's a preliminary map update; of course, it still has to be adjusted based on the "ground truth".
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Moved a few posts dealing with travelled distance / 100 sols to this thread: Some Statistics for Spirit & Oppy
jamescanvin
The clock has just ticked past midnight and so sol 2400 has begun. smile.gif As no driving is planned tosol I'll post the update to my large scale 100 sol (hectosol? wink.gif) route map now.

As was mentioned a few days ago the progress over the last 100 sols has been fantastic. Almost exactly half the distance to Santa Maria has been covered since sol 2300 and the 'parking lot' is now very close. smile.gif

Both images link to the same blog post with links to larger versions.

James
MoreInput
Here's the latest map from the Ohio State University: http://shoreline.eng.ohio-state.edu/album/...03/opp_2375.jpg
It's from sol 2375. Usually it was available through the MER main site, but this one I didn't see in the Opportunity traverse map archive. The last was published in July.

We have now reached 53,1% of the distance to endeavour crater, yeah!

MoreInput
Tesheiner
And here's my version from sol 2401. The current position is already corrected by means of the navcams.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
At the bottom right of Tesh's map you can see the start of the parking lot. Just 300ish meters away!
Tesheiner
Yes. smile.gif
That's the reason why I posted a bigger crop.
ngunn
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 26 2010, 08:29 PM) *
bigger crop

I really appreciate that. I know we can't have one every time, but a series of overlapping ones about that size at intervals of 5 or 6 drives would be nice.
djellison
Remember - there is always the KML
ngunn
I know I'm at the back of the class but I won't be shy. What is a KML?
ElkGroveDan
Keyhole Markup Language
djellison
It's the file that ET has been attaching to every map update for months and months, and loads directly into Google Earth (once you've added on the local maps for Opportunity ) so you can see the route for yourself, as much or as little as you want.
Stu
This shows you what you can do with Google Earth and Eduardo's .kml files, Nigel...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/moving-on-2
ngunn
Thanks all re KMLs. My system comes up with 'unknown file type' when I click on those. However I do greatly appreciate 'Road to Endeavour' which is always admirably clear and instantly accessible.
Stu
Thanks, but I have to stress it's only because of Tesheiner's brilliant work with those KML files that my blog is of any use to anyone! laugh.gif
Tesheiner
Here's the map update corresponding to sol 2402.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 27 2010, 11:30 AM) *
My system comes up with 'unknown file type' when I click on those.

Mmm, don't you have Google Earth on your computer?
ngunn
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 27 2010, 04:30 PM) *
Mmm, don't you have Google Earth on your computer?

Not the right version, apparently.
Tesheiner
Now that Opportunity has almost reached the flat parking lot / tarmac I thought it was time to post again the "biggie" map. It is updated up to sol 2404.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: Here's an updated KML file with a corrected position for sol 2404. The "mobility data" was off by around 5m.
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
Cool. For those who want to follow the trek of opportunity I have this tip: Just save the new big map from Tesheiner to your desktop. Every time he posts a new small map of the current progress, just open it, copy the picture and paste it into the big map. The alignment is easy. This is done within 30 seconds. I made this the last half year. You always have the the current route as picture and always the context of current drive.
walfy
QUOTE (MoreInput @ Oct 29 2010, 10:28 AM) *
Cool. For those who want to follow the trek of opportunity I have this tip: Just save the new big map from Tesheiner to your desktop. Every time he posts a new small map of the current progress, just open it, copy the picture and paste it into the big map. The alignment is easy. This is done within 30 seconds. I made this the last half year. You always have the the current route as picture and always the context of current drive.

Thanks for this excellent idea, especially since Google Earth is working awfully for me with the overlays. My Mac Pro is loaded with 5 GB of RAM, but freezes up constantly in GE. Can't figure it out. I delete the overlays and it works great. Still waiting for the folks at NASA to embed the detailed overlays right into Google Mars' servers! That's gonna be great.
Tesheiner
I'm currently using the overlay created while testing the MapTiler tool (see this post) and it works quite smoothly. Let's see if I can make it available.

And back to the business of this thread, here's a crop of the map around sol 2405 and the corresponding KML file.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Astro0
ADMIN: Several unproductive posts moved to the "Kitchen Junk Drawer" thread.
Tesheiner
There's still not enough images to confirm the position after sol 2410, but if we trust the rover's mobility info here's our current site.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
An updated version.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2412.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update corresponding to sol 2414; arrival at Intrepid Crater.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: KML corrected.
Tesheiner
Here's the route map cropped around the sol 2420 position and the corresponding KML file.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: Updated the attachments 'cause I simply forgot to add the 25km mark (thanks poolio)!
Tesheiner
Sol 2424.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
You may like to download these updated versions. I revised the end position on sol 2020 with the help of nav/pancam mosaics and also added the leg around Intrepid.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.