Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
ngunn
Are the latest images from the 2424 position or have we moved again? (Tweets about future actions, new images and map updates - I'm losing track of the sequence of events.)
Tesheiner
Moved on sol 2427 but this terrain is so featureless that I'm having a hard time trying to locate the current position without "telemetry" from the rover itself.
ngunn
OK, thanks - for that, and for everything you do. smile.gif
fredk
Here's my guess of the 2427 location based on the navcams and pancams. There's a group of small features (craters?) directly west that are visible in the navcams, as well as the end of a linear feature. Also the line of sight to the next two mid-sized craters to the west is correct. Finally, the circled bit of bedrock is visible in the middle-left of this navcam.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Right on the money, Fredk!
I got the same result today but only after checking again for an update of the rover's mobility data (85m East) so I had an idea of where to look around. Here's and animated GIF from the tool (Photoshop like) I use for this purpose.
Click to view attachment

And here's a crop of the updated route map and the corresponding KML file. Sol 2427.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2429.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the whole picture once again, updated up to sol 2433.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map crop, centered on sol 2436.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2438.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Nov 29 2010, 01:16 AM) *
whole picture to sol 2433

Great that you post these 'whole pictures'! Really really appreciated by people like me who get busy and may not be able to check things out for a couple of weeks or so. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Thanks, Hugh. smile.gif

And "back to business", here's an update after yestersol drive. I thought it would be nice to see our intermediate destination on the picture.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2442.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
charborob
Sorry to post on this thread. When I open the latest route map file in Google Mars, the end is now outside the hi-res images region. There has been talk in another thread of extending the hi-res coverage to Santa Maria and on to Endeavour, but maybe I missed something. Has it been done? Where can I find it? Thanks.
KrisK
charborob, have you tried KML file from this post?
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=164750

It covers area near Santa Maria.
elakdawalla
The post that KrisK mentions is a good stopgap. It was just supposed to be a step on the way to a complete map to the rim of Endeavour but I got too busy sad.gif I probably will not be able to return to the project until after the New Year.
Tesheiner
Here's yet another update, and yet another km mark on the rear-looking mirror.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2444.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
There are some new maps on the NASA page:
According to this map Opportunity has reached 64% of the road to endeavour (Sol 2438):
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/tm-oppor...B_Sol2438_1.jpg

Also there is a new map for sol 2442: http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/tm-oppor...ty-sol2442.html
It contains the whole mars trek since sol 1, here in a big map (11 MB): http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/tm-oppor...42_PIA13598.tif
elakdawalla
Hey Tesheiner! We're almost there! Where's Oppy now? smile.gif
Tesheiner
Just a second... wink.gif

Done. I was travelling these past days and with no time to work on the route map, so now it's time to catch up.
Here's my latest update, up to sol 2449.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2450.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Den
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 15 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Sol 2450.

Thanks!
Tesheiner
Sol 2451.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
The last two moves are barely visible at the 1m/pix map resolution but I thought it would be nice to post it in any case.
Sol 2454.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
I think it's time to post the "big picture" again. It is updated up to sol 2462.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
New Year got me somehow delayed on the route map updates. Here's the latest one, after sol 2468 drive.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
Looking at Doug's post regarding Oppy from above on Dec 31st 2010, I can see you were still right till then.
Happy New Route Eduardo!
Phil Stooke
2-4-6-8 - who do we appreciate? Eduardo!

Phil
Mirek
Looks to me that after sol 2468 drive Opportunity could have surpassed total distance traveled by Apollo 16 Lunar Rover (LRV16)

LRV16 26.55 km 16.5 mi

Sol 2464 26.51 km 16.47 mi

Opportunity only needed 40 meters to accomplish that, and looks like drive on sol 2468 was little more (?) than that.
jamescanvin
Yeah, Scott tweeted that Oppy had passed that milestone a couple of days ago.
Mirek
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jan 5 2011, 01:55 PM) *
Yeah, Scott tweeted that Oppy had passed that milestone a couple of days ago.

I missed that somehow even though I have RSS feed of his Tweets.

Perhaps Tesheiner could put some sort of marker on his route map ....
Tesheiner
Here's Opportunity's position after sol 2474.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2477.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
I'm a few hours early but as I'm busy tomorrow and over the weekend I'll post this now:

Sol 2500
CosmicRocker
Very nice, James. Your map with 100 sol increments really puts the journey into perspective. smile.gif
paxdan
Opportunity's total odometry must be approaching the 'as the crow flies' distance to Endeavour from the landing site.
NW71
QUOTE (paxdan @ Feb 7 2011, 01:51 PM) *
must be approaching the 'as the crow flies' distance to Endeavour

Paxdan,

I'll have first dig at this (but I suspect guys like Climber and the other regular posters on the statistical threads will be able to give you a better answer) but I think the point you mention was passed by Oppy a long time ago. By looking at the map put up a couple of posts ago (and thank you to James Canvin for them) I would estimate that Cape York is approximately 20kms from the landing site whereas she has travelled well over 26kms.

Neil
Oersted
And, well, 26 km. is counted in straight-line increments. When we count all the little squiggles in between (looking at odometry) we probably get a figure which is a good deal bigger. Minus the turning-in-place-bits of Jammerbugt and elsewhere.
fredk
But 26+ km is the odometry. So it should include all of the little movements, no?
Tesheiner
I think it's time to start updating the route map once again.
Here it is, up to sol 2519 (thisol), and the corresponding KML file for Google Earth. Take a close look to the GE version because you will find a new layer named "Opportunity Calendar Dates" made by Emily Lakdawalla and containing placemarks for the first day of every quarter since the rover left Victoria. It should be enough to figure out roughly when on Earth's calendar Opportunity was at any given location on the map.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update, corresponding to sol 2534.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2547: The final leg has finally started. biggrin.gif
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Here's the "big picture" covering the path from Santa Maria to Cape York which I will use as route map to cover this last segment on the trek from Victoria to Endeavour. As usual, I will be posting "crops" of this map (and a KML file too) after driving sols and the big map from time to time.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

PS: This update is purely based on the "telemetry" from the rover. The exploratorium is still missing the latest pictures.
nprev
Great to see her rolling again! wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
Freaking move on sol 2549. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
Hmm. Either one of the drivers had his/her map upside down, or, as an early April Fool's joke, someone swapped their keyboard for an Etch-a-Sketch when they weren't looking... laugh.gif
nprev
THAT's interesting. Perhaps the move was to aquire long-baseline stereo views of Santa Maria? Can't see any compelling terrain-avoidance rationale.
eoincampbell
It's a "7" smile.gif
mhoward
Step 1: Get away from Santa Maria. Step 2: Approach "Rodrigo de Escobar".

That's what it looks like, anyway.
fredk
I guess the question is: why get away from SM directly east? It sure does look strange. One idea would be that the 2547 and 2549 positions could form a large baseline for stereo imaging of the route ahead. Although now that we're off the rim of SM, the view SE has got to be pretty poor.
marsophile
QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 27 2011, 08:26 AM) *
... why get away from SM directly east?

You have to see where you are driving. The direct view towards Rodrigo de Escobar may have been obstructed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.