Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
BrianL
QUOTE (climber @ Jun 30 2006, 02:48 PM) *
And we can see A LOT of stuffs all along the horizon smile.gif

Like all those outcrops on the far rim of VC. I think the original beacon that we saw through the gap many sols ago would be about the middle of that cluster beside the current beacon. Obviously we are climbing higher and seeing more of the far rim over the rest of the near wall. wink.gif

Brian
Tesheiner
Based on pancams from sol 864, the distance to the center of next outcrop on the path is about 29m; I used that figure to refine last positions on the route map.

Click to view attachment

B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Jun 30 2006, 06:02 PM) *

I can hardly wait for Tesheiner to make one last "white square" move on his Route Map... smile.gif
[/quote]

Your wish is my command! biggrin.gif
It was already time to shift the map and finally see VC; it's BIG.

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 30 2006, 11:02 PM) *
It was already time to shift the map and finally see VC; it's BIG.

That's a new milestone! (but before others notice it, please correct your red labbeling on VC's near rim: it's NOT the Beacon)
djellison
Isn't it amazing - we are so close to Victoria Crater now, almost the range of Eagle to Endurance....but we can essentially see NOTHING of it.

Doug
Shaka
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 30 2006, 11:41 AM) *
Isn't it amazing - we are so close to Victoria Crater now, almost the range of Eagle to Endurance....but we can essentially see NOTHING of it.

Doug

So very true. Our beloved Vicky is an old, old crone. Worn flat over however many millions of years; her once upright, sprightly rim eroded back into crenulations and undermined until it sags down into her nether regions. So we can't even see the immediate near rim ( with the possible exception of the Beacon slab). Rim depressions like the Boat Ramp are below our sight horizon.
An old lady, but one who might tell us some secrets about Mars' past, long before her flaming youth.
cool.gif
David
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 30 2006, 09:41 PM) *

Heh -- I'm still waiting for the "hell of a view"! Granted that Opportunity's had a good view out to the horizon for a while, it's still not everything-visible panorama I expected. The land's too flat and the horizon too close, I guess.
Tesheiner
About the horizon, it seems we have the false impression that it corresponds to the near rim but it's actually a fair distance of that rim.

I made the following composition from pancams taken on sols 855 and 864. Beacon aside, there are some dark features which can be seen on both shots and there is clearly a parallax effect due to the rover's movement towards BC. Given the beacon at the near rim, obviously those dark features are not very near the rim. The leftmost dark feature is quite at the horizon line and that's what convinced me that we are actually not seeing the near rim except for the beacon.

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
The truth will be that the Beacon is stranger than strange. I'd propose that it _ought_ to be named "Escher" because of the optical illusion property! Except that name has been used before.

Victoria is indeed strange. A flat ejecta blanket, no appreciable outside rim (with the exception of that enigma) above the ejecta blanket so it won't be visible until we are virtually upon it. Endurance at least had some rim above the plain, Erebus had the "Dunefield" and the Payson bluff but Victoria is stealthy...

--Bill
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jun 30 2006, 11:51 PM) *
Victoria is indeed strange. A flat ejecta blanket, no appreciable outside rim (with the exception of that enigma) above the ejecta blanket so it won't be visible until we are virtually upon it. Endurance at least had some rim above the plain, Erebus had the "Dunefield" and the Payson bluff but Victoria is stealthy...

--Bill

Bill:

Is it possible that somebody has stolen it? Ustrax was previously in the frame for the Ultreya Heist...

Hmmm...

Bob Shaw
Pando
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 30 2006, 02:41 PM) *

I think we'll be *very* close to Victoria until we see the ground open up in front of the rover, and we'll say "holy $#!%"! Looking at the satellite images Vicky's pretty deep. It will be quite a sight when Oppy will be perched on one of the triangular rim remnants looking into the hole.
RNeuhaus
Sol 866 (today) and 867 (Sunday) there will not be any driving. Oppy will just by observing the sky.

CODE
866 p2600.09 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_tau
866 p2627.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_sky_radiance_thumbs_L457R247
866 Total    0   0   0   0   0   0

CODE
867 p2631.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_sky_spot_L234567R34567
867 Total    0   0   0   0   0   0

Rodolfo
alan
Taking advantage of the long weekend to finish downloading the software update?
Tesheiner
> Taking advantage of the long weekend to finish downloading the software update?

Not necessarily given that different antennas are used for sw/commands uplink (HGA) and for data downlink (UHF).

> Sol 866 (today) and 867 (Sunday) there will not be any driving. Oppy will just by observing the sky.

I think the main reason for this lack of new sequences is to give a chance for less priority data still on the rover to be downlinked.
CosmicRocker
I can't help but wonder, "How the blazes are we going to draw accurate route maps once on the apron?" Unless we are sent that postulated MRO image of the region by the gods above, we'll all be squinting pretty hard to find navigational markers to correlate to the MOC image. I have no doubt that we'll finally refine a process, but does anyone have a plan? Mine's pretty rough...
djellison
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 2 2006, 08:44 AM) *
Not necessarily given that different antennas are used for sw/commands uplink (HGA) and for data downlink (UHF).

They can also do uplink via UHF now as well - but there's a long lead time for getting the data ready to send as it has to go up on whichever uplink to Odyssey is before the UHF pass, and it can be 24 hrs or more.

Charge batteries, downlink some lower priority mid-drive imaging (such as a sol 812 and sol 856 L1 albedo pan), , do some more flight software uplinks, all good stuff.

Doug
Bill Harris
My guess, Tom, is that we will be making good guesstimates based on direction and odometry. Being very flat, I'd reckon that waypoints would be easily visible. Being a very firm surface, I'd suppose that wheel slip would approach zero. Advanced WAGs, in other words.

--Bill
Shaka
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 1 2006, 09:57 PM) *
I can't help but wonder, "How the blazes are we going to draw accurate route maps once on the apron?"
...does anyone have a plan? Mine's pretty rough...

Tom! Repent! Thank the Good Lord for THE BEACON! rolleyes.gif
With that, Beagle, the smaller apron craters, and other landmarks we haven't seen yet, the apron will be Triangulation CITY! . I expect Tesh, Dilo, Rod, Ustrax, fredk...hell, I might even take a whack at it... should be able to calculate our position to about 2.5 gnat's eyelashes. Of course there won't be slabs of evaporite to sit on and positively identify from orbit, but sooner or later we have to learn to trust the geometry! This may be a struggle for the Far-rimmers, but it's my fervent hope that the sight of that glittering, white slab of evaporite perched up there on the near rim will at last free them from the shackles of....of... abdominal intuition.
Brothers, let us pray.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jul 2 2006, 12:35 AM) *
sooner or later we have to learn to trust the geometry! This may be a struggle for the Far-rimmers,

One of the things you first learn about geometry and trigonometry is that common points between two calculations must be just that, points. Different points along a wall that appear to be the same point source from different perspectives will really throw your calculations out of whack.

So I am now forced to wonder. If we are going to use the conclusion-jumping trigonometry practiced by the near rimmers to navigate Opportunity up the ejecta blanket and to the precipice of this massive crater ohmy.gif, did JPL do any roll and tumble tests on the MER craft?
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 2 2006, 02:44 AM) *
> Sol 866 (today) and 867 (Sunday) there will not be any driving. Oppy will just by observing the sky.

I think the main reason for this lack of new sequences is to give a chance for less priority data still on the rover to be downlinked.

At the Pancam database, I have found many pending pictures from past soles to be downlinked to Earth. As the MER is getting a new uploaded mobility software, I seems that it is wise to clean all memory of kept past pictures just in the case before upgrading a new version of Mobility software. This will avoid that any problems related with the upgrad might loose any remain pictures in the board.

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 2 2006, 09:57 AM) *
I can't help but wonder, "How the blazes are we going to draw accurate route maps once on the apron?"

I would try a similar aproach as for Spirit.
You must find similar features (e.g. rocks) on both pre and post-drive images and calculate the net driving distance using any Parallax Calculator. For the driving heading I would take the beacon as a reference.
This approach, together with periodic corrections (if possible), worked quite well for Spirit's route map.

BTW, when I say "I would" is because I will probably have no time to do that. My summer vacations starts on Jul 15th and I'm quite sure by that time we will still be at Beagle Crater.
Shaka
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 2 2006, 06:08 AM) *
. If we are going to use the conclusion-jumping trigonometry practiced by the near rimmers to navigate Opportunity up the ejecta blanket and to the precipice of this massive crater ohmy.gif, did JPL do any roll and tumble tests on the MER craft?

It would have been fascinating to see you navigate the MERs to Mars, Dan'l. cool.gif
jamescanvin
Next drive will be on sol 869

CODE
869 p1151.04 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
869 p1154.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
869 p1205.08 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_penultimate_0.5_bpp_pri17
869 p1211.03 2   0   0   2   0   4    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
869 p1275.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
869 p1305.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_penultimate_0.5bpp_pri17
869 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
869 p1375.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
869 p1585.00 4   0   4   0   0   8    navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
869 p1948.01 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_162_mixed_bpp_crtiical
869 p1948.01 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_162_mixed_bpp_crtiical
869 Total    40  0   4   36  0   80
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 2 2006, 02:45 PM) *
I would try a similar aproach as for Spirit.
You must find similar features (e.g. rocks) on both pre and post-drive images and calculate the net driving distance using any Parallax Calculator. For the driving heading I would take the beacon as a reference.
This approach, together with periodic corrections (if possible), worked quite well for Spirit's route map.

BTW, when I say "I would" is because I will probably have no time to do that. My summer vacations starts on Jul 15th and I'm quite sure by that time we will still be at Beagle Crater.
Yes, we should have no problem measuring distance with parallax as usual, and we can even get pretty good directional from the tracking site. I'd use MMB for that, since it displays the azimuth and elevation as you pan around in panorama mode. That's all you need to plot a path. But the point I was making is that small errors will accumulate. Outside of the apron we have been able to see the shapes of ripples and patches of outcrop that can be directly correlated to the MOC imagery. If distance and direction do not quite plot the correct point, it is obvious when comparing the rover's images of it's surroundings to the MOC image.

I wouldn't call the apron as seen from the MOC featureless, but there are not very many features on it. Without a visual corelation between the orbital and rover images, those accumulated errors will not be apparent. It is not a big problem, since there are only a few hundred meters between the bottom and the rim. Once at the rim there should be plenty of landmarks.
Sunspot
[quote name='jamescanvin' date='Jul 3 2006, 01:42 AM' post='60497']
Next drive will be on sol 869

Yikes, nearly a week without any progress towards Victoria/Beagle.
djellison
Independance Day weekend. Recharge, downlink, flight software uplink, targetted remote sensing. Busy rovers, but a bit of time off for mission people. (After the sprint from Erebus to here, and the Purgatory 2 situation...I think they're entitled)

Doug
Tesheiner
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 3 2006, 05:25 AM) *
But the point I was making is that small errors will accumulate.

Yup, same as for Spirit's map.
A possible solution would be to make use of those little craters seen on the apron as heading references and triangulate the aprox. rover's position based on them. This method wouldn't suffer of accumulated errors, but it's accuracy is questionable. It could be used from time to time to adjust the already plotted route.

Maybe, the best approach would be to trust 100% on the data tracking web data until the rover makes about 80% of the path to the rim. At that point, triangulation and/or parallax could be used to calculate the "exact" rover's position and to re-adjust the route.
Tesheiner
Route map, updated after sol 869 driving.

Click to view attachment

If I got it right from the pancam database, the rover is now on an outcrop named "Fort Gibson".
antoniseb
Is the plan that Opportunity will continue through the dune troughs for another 70 or 80 meters, and then make a hard left for the Corner on the terrain with apparantly more exposed Epsom salts?
BrianL
QUOTE (antoniseb @ Jul 5 2006, 07:33 AM) *
Is the plan that Opportunity will continue through the dune troughs for another 70 or 80 meters, and then make a hard left for the Corner on the terrain with apparantly more exposed Epsom salts?

To my untrained eye, the path straight toward Beagle looks so tempting right now. The ripples look very low and traversable, maybe 5-6 to cross to get to that first outcrop.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...U6P1948R0M1.JPG

In the following shot along the current heading, the ripples seem higher and more potentially troublesome.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...U6P1948R0M1.JPG

Brian
hortonheardawho
Er, I measure 50 meters movement for sol 869. The "fort" I think is the small outcrop spot about 13 meters further south.
Tesheiner
Rover motion data from the tracking web say 35m, like parallax. Off course, parallax measurements depends on the feature you guess to be the one corresponding to the current position.
Do you use another technic?

Better wait for the north-looking navcam pics (planned for sol 870) to fine tune this position.
RNeuhaus
Today, Sol 870 is another driving day!
CODE
Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
870 p1151.04 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
870 p1154.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
870 p1205.08 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_haz_penultimate_0.5_bpp_pri17
870 p1211.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
870 p1275.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
870 p1305.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_penultimate_0.5bpp_pri17
870 p1311.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
870 p1375.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
870 p1795.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_5x1_az_342_1_bpp
870 p1902.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_5x1_az_162_mixed_bpp
870 p1903.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_5x1_az_342_1_bpp
870 p2631.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_sky_spot_L234567R34567
870 Total    0   0   0   0   0   0

Due to the orientation of Navcam (between 162 to 342), the guessed route are two (right hand - blue) and (left hand - yellow). I would rather choose the route blue.

Click to view attachment

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
Route map, updated up to sol 870.

Click to view attachment

They took the green path, Rodolfo.
SacramentoBob
Greetings: I am a new member of the forum. but a long time visitor. Just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed the graphics and discussions you guys have put together.... Tesheiner's maps are amazing!
Can't wait until Oppy arrives at Corner Crater! - Sacramento Bob smile.gif
Zeke4ther
Welcome to the forum Bob! smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (SacramentoBob @ Jul 6 2006, 09:31 AM) *
Greetings: I am a new member of the forum. but a long time visitor. Just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed the graphics and discussions you guys have put together.... Tesheiner's maps are amazing!

Welcome neighbor wink.gif
bmoskovi
QUOTE (SacramentoBob @ Jul 6 2006, 10:31 AM) *

I think Sacramentans need their own topic wink.gif Btw, I'm a relatively new member, my name is Bob, and I am in East Sacramento!
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (bmoskovi @ Jul 7 2006, 04:59 AM) *
I think Sacramentans need their own topic wink.gif Btw, I'm a relatively new member, my name is Bob, and I am in East Sacramento!

Enough with the Bobs, already!

Bob Shaw
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 871).

Click to view attachment
Oren Iishi
Looks like within a week the rover should be at or past Beagle. Hopefully, the dark layer around Victoria is easily negotiated by Opportunity. If it is then I'm guessing around the end of August Oppy will be at the rim.
Bill Harris
I'll speculate that the drivers will be nervous about the sandpile ahead of Oppy and take a detour...

--Bill
CosmicRocker
Yep. Well, at least some of us are nervous. cool.gif I am beginning to suspect that they drove to this point intentionally. It seems to be the end of the maze in some ways. A turn to the left or right seems a logical thing to do. It doesn't appear that we'll see a move on 872.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 8 2006, 04:45 PM) *
It doesn't appear that we'll see a move on 872.

No, looks like it's a spring cleaning sol!

CODE
418 p2293.02 0   0   1   0   0   1    pancam_albedo_pan_360_L1R1267
421 p2396.05 0   0   0   0   1   1    pancam_drive_dir_3cx1r_L2R2
423 p2111.05 0   2   0   0   0   2    pancam_cal_targ_L234567Rall
423 p2600.06 0   0   0   0   1   1    pancam_tau
439 p2111.05 0   3   0   0   0   3    pancam_cal_targ_L234567Rall
439 p2403.05 0   0   0   2   0   2    pancam_photom_eq_east_L247R17
439 p2404.05 0   0   0   1   1   2    pancam_photom_eq_west_L247R17
439 p2620.04 0   0   0   0   1   1    pancam_tau
440 p2600.06 0   1   0   0   0   1    pancam_tau

Sol 400's!

Driving again on Sol 873 though.

CODE
873 p1151.04 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
873 p1154.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
873 p1211.03 2   0   0   2   0   4    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
873 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
873 p1375.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
873 p1902.03 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_126_3_bpp

James
kenny
I too was concerned about the mound ahead, but the drivers may have something else in mind as they are deliberately driving straight at it, according to Tesh's map. Since recent rear Hazcams show good traction over the last dune crest, maybe they are confident about ground conditions and plan to surmount the mound as a viewpoint?
We'll see....

Kenny
Bill Harris
This is almost more drama than "who shot JR". We'll wait, we'll see.

Attached is a clip from MOC image R1500822, enhanced to bring out low-contrast detail and presented in .PNG format so there isn't JPEG artifacting. For general membership use to see what's ahead on the ejecta apron. The solar azimuth was 9.5 deg, the solar altitude was 64.9 degrees.

--Bill
lyford
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jul 8 2006, 03:51 AM) *
This is almost more drama than "who shot JR". We'll wait, we'll see.

As long as the rover drivers aren't fans of Thelma and Louise....
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jul 7 2006, 12:21 AM) *
Enough with the Bobs, already!

Mind if we call you "Bruce" then to keep it clear?
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 8 2006, 07:20 PM) *
Mind if we call you "Bruce" then to keep it clear?

Was that posting spam, then?

Spam, spam, spam.

Spam.

Bob Shaw
CosmicRocker
The 873 navcams will be centered on 126 degrees, which is a bit east of the 871 set, but none of the new images are down yet. It will be interesting to see where the drive direction pancams are located. We may get pancams of Beagle and the Beacon shortly. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 873)

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.