Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
MizarKey
QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jul 28 2011, 07:14 AM) *
Yes. Almost as incredible as the rovers' durability is your persistence in tracking them for us all these years.

Thank you.

--Greg

I absolutely agree! Thank you very much for the time you've put into pinpointing the intrepid wanderer. Excellent work!
stewjack
Drat! Now I am back to feeling guilty. I had almost convinced myself that those route maps just appeared by magic!

Teshner Teshner - that name does sound familiar. You been here awhile?
Wow a couple of weeks longer than me! But I bet you haven't swung around a branch as many times as I have.

Jack tongue.gif

dilo
I agree with other friends here... and last big map is really impressive! ph34r.gif
Greg Hullender
The big picture only goes back to Victoria, right? Is there a bigger picture that goes all the way to the landing site?

--Greg
Tesheiner
Here's the map up to sol 2674. GE only; I have no time now to work on the JPEG version.
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
Here's the map for sol 2764, not as accurate as Tesh maps, but I hope good enough for us to see, where Oppy is.

EDIT: Google Earth says 257 meters in direct line to Spirit Point...
Tesheiner
Thanks for the help, MoreInput. smile.gif

Here's the GE map update for sol 2676.
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
Here's the map snippet for Sol 2676.

Distance to Spirit Point (Google Earth): 140 meters.

Are we there yet? tongue.gif

(EDIT: Wrong sol)
Tesheiner
Back to business. Here's the map update for sol 2678.
@MoreInput: Great job with your GE layers. They were hosted by Emily and I've included them on the "Extras" section of the map. Like it?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MoreInput
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 8 2011, 12:42 AM) *
Like it?

Oh, yes, that a really good idea! I think that's the best place for this additional information. If I have time this week I will put also some texts to the older objects, like Santa Maria, or even Victoria. So everyone can sail on Oppys route and James Cook journeys. And I just found out now, how to view pictures in the description, so the browsing over this part of mars will be much more fun.

elakdawalla
When you make updates, you should email them to me (blog@planetary.org) but also post them here in case I can't upload them right away.
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 8 2011, 08:12 AM) *
Back to business.

Gotta say, love your maps. Always look forward to them. Been following them since nearly the beginning!

Only one problem, if Opportunity keeps going like this which of your kids is designated to take over from you? rolleyes.gif

(Good one .... MoreInput!)
Tesheiner
Ok, it's time to post this biggie one once more and move forward to the next map.
Click to view attachment

Since the idea now is to slow down I thought it would be a good idea to bring back the "zoom window" I used while we were at Victoria to better focus on the small steps. Here's the new incarnation of the route map. And the GE version, of course!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
A slight update to the current position, thanks to the 360deg. navcam mosaic.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the map update corresponding to sol 2683.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2685.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a new map update, after sol 2690.
Click to view attachment

Since Ross Beyer posted the Ames Planetary Content team new HiRISE/CTX overlays for GE (check this post) I have been working on re-registering the route waypoints to that new background map. If anybody is thinking on it, no, I don't have to redo all the route again; it's just a task of adjusting a number of "control points" (currently 22) and the whole route is recalculated again.

From this point on I will use that background as "baseline" so if you don't want to see the route displaced in relation to the map you should do that too. I will keep posting two versions of the KMZ file for some time so everybody can decide when to move forward.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
A little late (I have a newborn!) but here is my large scale route map for sol 2700.

James
Greg Hullender
Amazing how much more territory she covered the last year or so. Is it better terrain, less-interesting terrain (so no stops), or better driving algorithms?

--Greg
djellison
All of the above.
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2703.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a new update after sol 2707. Note that I shifted the zoom window to cover the new ground.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: Updated KMZ files.
dilo
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 31 2011, 08:28 PM) *
A little late (I have a newborn!) but here is my large scale route map for sol 2700.

I'm late too, James... congratulations! laugh.gif
Tesheiner
It's time for a route map update.
Click to view attachment
Julius
So where would shoemaker ridge be on this close up map of cape York?
Stu
Click to view attachment

Ignore the "Oppy's current position", she's moved since I made that image.

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/...ge-here-we-come
Tesheiner
Here's an updated route map, up to sol 2738. The last three plots are purely based on the "telemetry" so they might be off by a few meters; I'll work on it during the weekend, if time permits.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
My route map update for sol 2739.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2742.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update for sol 2744. I will enable the "zoom" view again once Opportunity slows down.
Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 14 2011, 08:19 AM) *
I will enable the "zoom" view again once Opportunity slows down.

Been a while since you had to say that... laugh.gif

climber
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 14 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Been a while since you had to say that... laugh.gif

Restricted sols start today...
Tesheiner
Here's the map update for sol 2746.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Opportunity's position on sol 2749.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Better late than never. Here's a map update corresponding to sol 2751.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2754.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2756, including the 34km mark crossed during sol 2754.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2758. GE only, for the time being; I will update the JPEG later on.Done.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update for sol 2760.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
FWIW, I substituted the attachments on the previous post with new ones after registering the latest navcam mosaic to the HiRISE background map.
Tesheiner
Sol 2763.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Back home after almost two weeks on a business travel and finally found some time to "work on mars".
Map update for sol 2773.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated with the latest info from sol 2775.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2777.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2778, now with the zoom area enabled again.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Just a quick post to provide an updated KMZ route map but, more important, to inform that yesterday I observed what (I think was) an automatic update of my Google Earth client with a "small side effect": the path on the route map simply doesn't display properly. If any of you saw the same "update" on GE try for yourself to load one of the previous maps.
After a small trial and error I discovered the origin of the problem (IMHO an incorrect handling of blank spaces in a <LineString> directive) and corrected it.

However and unless there's a new update of GE, all previous KML/KMZ files in this thread won't load properly any more. sad.gif

Edited: FWIW, I'm running GE version 6.1.0.5001
CosmicRocker
I'm running the same GE version as you. Your sol 2781 route appears properly, but I tried the AMES and the UMSF versions of the sol 2763 route and the path does not display. The sol markers and labels do display. I also tried the sol 2778 kmz and it appears to display correctly.

I noticed that your latest map (sol 2781) is named as the UMSF version of the map, but it perfectly overlays my previously downloaded AMES versions. Might you have mislabeled it?
Tesheiner
I tried again the maps from sol 2778 (just in case) and see the same problem as with the previous ones; the path is displayed as a single line from 5.5W to 2W around the equator.

RE the latest map, my fault. Renamed.
Stu
My GE version hasn't been updated for months, so I'm not having the same problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.