Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 26 2007, 10:53 PM) *
but this cape is really narrow.

When you look at the dimensions on your Oppy route, it's not THAT narrow. I mean it'll be definitively the best of all to get THE Victoria view if they get closer to the tip. I'm sure "they" know how to get closer safely they just won't tell us if they plan to go for not scarring us tongue.gif
I realy don't want to try visidom on this but I suppose that the contrast between the edge and the Abbyss is way enough. If I refer to what Steve wrote the other day about the "drunken saylor" I understand they can test visidom without actualy run the drive, correct? BTW, I notice that the wheel.gif is driving backward wink.gif
fredk
Guys, guys - sure, Cape Desire is pretty narrow, in fact it looks like it's the narrowest of all the capes. But surely we can expect even more from our intrepid little friend. Remember what we've got here - six wheel drive, four three independently steerable wheels, and a rocker-bogie suspension system.

I therefore propose - no - insist, that Oppy attempt to drive out onto the tip of the column of Hoy. Judging from recent pancams there is a narrow isthmus connecting the bulk of Cape C2 with the column of Hoy. Surely this would be a breeze for a dependable rover who's explored and extricated herself from various craters, dunes, etc. And just think what the pancam mosaic would be like from there! laugh.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

(Hint to image wizards: if the rover drivers aren't (as they better not be!) convinced by my "plea", perhaps you could drop Oppy onto Hoy...)
Tesheiner
MRO took another shot at VC, now with Oppy near the tip of Cape Desire! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

No, no, it's a fake. biggrin.gif
I took the tiny rover from Cape Verde and placed it at it's current approximate position at Cape Desire in order to have a sense of scale and, yes, the cape is not that narrow. I would like to have more navcam images, perhaps the whole 360º panorama, to confirm this position but in the lack of that I used the distance to the tip (aprox. 10m) to plot it.

On a different topic, I've just checked the planned imaging sequences for the weekend and, among others, they include the following:

01070 p2359.09 18 0 0 18 1 37 pancam_long_baseline_6x3_part1_L2
01070 p2571.17 13 13 0 0 2 28 pancam_ceuta_quarter_L234567Rall
01071 p1201.07 2 0 0 2 0 4 front_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri17
01071 p1211.03 2 0 0 2 0 4 ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
01071 p1301.06 2 0 0 2 0 4 rear_haz_penultimate_1bpp_pri17
01071 p1311.07 2 0 0 2 0 4 rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
01071 p1987.04 10 0 0 10 0 20 navcam_5x1_lvlaz_288_3bpp
01071 p1988.01 4 0 0 4 0 8 navcam_2x1_Bahia_Blanca_SITE

Here is how I read them.

Sol 1070: Take a 6x3 pancam mosaic (red filter) of Cabo Anonimo and an all-filters pancam picture of "Ceuta".
Sol 1071: Take an 80º fov navcam mosaic of "Bahia Blanca" (Hmmm, the next Bay?) and move on to a different location. It shouldn't be a long drive if there is an intention to take the second part of a long-baseline (color?) mosaic. We'll see.
Tesheiner
01070 p2359.09 18 0 0 18 1 37 pancam_long_baseline_6x3_part1_L2
01070 p2571.17 13 13 0 0 2 28 pancam_ceuta_quarter_L234567Rall
Sol 1070: Take a 6x3 pancam mosaic (red filter) of Cabo Anonimo and an all-filters pancam picture of "Ceuta".

The pancam pointing info says the pancam mosaic is to the NE not SW so it can't be of Cabo Anonimo but the one following Cape Desire.
Tesheiner
Opportunity moved another 2m towards the tip of Cape Desire on sol 1071.
Here is the updated route map, including the next bay clockwise: "Bahia Blanca".

Click to view attachment
CryptoEngineer
I think we need a new poll:

Where will Oppy first enter Victoria far enough to get to the base of
one of the capes?

My choice is the bay between E1 and D5, at which point she'll hang
a right and travel a bit clockwise.

CE
djellison
QUOTE (CryptoEngineer @ Jan 29 2007, 11:00 PM) *
I think we need a new poll:

Not really. And we sure as hell don't need it in the Route Map thread.

rolleyes.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 29 2007, 03:09 PM) *
And we sure as hell don't need it in the Route Map thread.

Unless we are trying to get the 270,000 views up over the 300,000 mark in a hurry.
Tesheiner
An updated route map, including Cabo Corrientes.

Click to view attachment

The latest map with cape labels (sol 1071) can be found here.

Note: There was no move tosol or yestersol. The reason for this update is to post a map *without* the cape labels. I think those ones are extremely useful --thanks James for the original idea and Steve for making the layer used here-- but this route map is becoming a bit "cluttered" with all those ground feature names and sometimes is a bit difficult to read them with the cape labels layer activated, so I decided to deactivate it.
But given the use we are currently making of this naming convention for the unnamed capes and bays I thought it would be better to keep the cape labels from time to time, so I will do the following: the map associated to the first move after the weekend will be posted *with* cape labels while all further ones during the week will be posted *without* cape labels but with a link to that "labelled" map included for convenience, like on this same post. With this approach we still have a route map updated asap after driving and also have a map with cape labels "on" updated on a weekly basis.
remcook
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/pia09116

does anyone know of a version where you can actually read the orange bits?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 30 2007, 08:38 PM) *
a map *without* the cape labels. I think those ones are extremely useful --thanks James for the original idea and Steve for making the layer used here-- but this route map is becoming a bit "cluttered"

I agree, I think the route map is better without them.

Note that I have been keeping my Victoria feature names map updated with all known cape, bay and other (resolved in HiRISE) features as a complement to the route map.

Here is that latest:

James
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1075).

Click to view attachment

The latest map with cape labels (sol 1071) can be found here.
fredk
Thanks as always, Tesheiner! I like the smaller font for the rover targets.
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1078).

Click to view attachment
FIN Mars
daam.

we missed "Guam" another time.

I'm now be disappointed to NASA.

But life continues...
Pando
QUOTE (Bobby @ Jan 24 2007, 07:47 PM) *
I was looking at Page 1 of this thread and when did the map updates change from Pando to Tesheiner? unsure.gif & laugh.gif

LoL, you know, I was wondering the same thing so I went back and checked it out. Turns out it coincided with my vacation back in July-Aug 2005 during which time I couldn't keep up with any of it. So Phil Stooke posted some vertical projections after Purgatory, after which Dilo followed with some awesome projections and mapping thru the dune fields north of Erebus. Tesheiner then took over the localization and mapping around Erebus and all that followed. That was a totally seamless transition I might add, and you guys are just awesome. biggrin.gif

(ok, going back to my cave now trying to stay out of trouble) smile.gif
Bobby
laugh.gif Thanks for the Answer Pando. That is funny you didn't realize when that happened

Keep up the good work Tesheiner, jamescanvin, dilo and Phil Stooke from time to time and others in here smile.gif
Tesheiner
Actually, I found both UMSF and Mark Carey's forum after searching for Victoria Crater and finding references to Pando's mapping. Two years ago I wasn't aware about *any* mars discussion group (found almost nothing at the wild wild usenet) and the "periodic" info available at the official MER site was not enough for me. Where the hell was that "Victoria Crater", I was asking to myself?
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1080), including the 10,000m milestone.

Click to view attachment

The latest map with cape labels (sol 1078) can be found here.
djellison
Routemap threads are for routemap discussions. OT posts moved.
mars loon
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 7 2007, 11:14 AM) *
Updated route map (1080), including the 10,000m milestone.

Thats a great added touch to the map.

complemented perfectly by your Sol 1080 navcam.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=82999

ken
Pando
QUOTE (Bobby @ Feb 7 2007, 12:31 AM) *
laugh.gif Thanks for the Answer Pando. That is funny you didn't realize when that happened

Keep up the good work Tesheiner, jamescanvin, dilo and Phil Stooke from time to time and others in here smile.gif

I forgot to add that when I got back from my vacation and seeing all the scientific method applied to the mapmaking by these folks, I decided to quietly put away my dowsing rod and ouija board. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

I sincerely hope you guys are still around over here when MSL starts roving... wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1082).

Click to view attachment

Tesheiner
Updated route map (1084).
Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 11 2007, 02:58 PM) *
Updated route map (1084).

Thanks again and again... and here I come again with a sugestion. rolleyes.gif
In all discutions it's said that Oppy will go 120° around Victoria before they decide where to enter. It'll "may be" nice if you put a * or whatever you like where these 120° are located relative to Duck's bay. This will then show us whereabout the goal is. As usual, it's up to you smile.gif
CosmicRocker
Well, if you can imagine the face of a clock and that Duck Bay is approximately at 9:30, then 120 degrees would be around 1:30. But I wouldn't think of 120 degrees as a limit. I think of it more as a minimum.
djellison
I can't find it now - but the annotated colour Victoria image shows the next ' crater pan ' position as being about 2 - 3 O'clock on the crater dial

Doug
Reckless
Hi all can anyone help find an onscreen directional compass which I can overlay on these route maps or on any aerial or orbital photos?
I thought I saw a nice transparent circular graticule on UMSF but I havn't been able to find it again distpite going through both route map threads from day one (which was very interesting especialy comparing old and new orbital pictures)

This place keeps going from strength to strength well done smile.gif

Roy F
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1087).
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Reckless @ Feb 11 2007, 09:58 PM) *
I thought I saw a nice transparent circular graticule on UMSF but I havn't been able to find it again ...

The only thing I can remember is that transparent layer with cape labels posted some weeks ago which I incorporated to the map. But that's not a compass, off course.
ustrax
QUOTE (climber @ Feb 11 2007, 02:52 PM) *
In all discutions it's said that Oppy will go 120° around Victoria before they decide where to enter. It'll "may be" nice if you put a * or whatever you like where these 120° are located relative to Duck's bay. This will then show us whereabout the goal is. As usual, it's up to you smile.gif

Climber, I don't know if this might help you.
ilbasso
Just occurred to me, looking at the sol numbers around this route map - it feels like we have only just gotten here after ages and ages of traveling, yet Oppy has already been at Victoria for nearly 12.5% of her total lifetime!
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1089).
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1094), with cape labels.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1095).
Click to view attachment
The latest map with cape labels (sol 1094) can be found here.
Tesheiner
Updated route map (1096), including Cape of Good Hope.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1098).
Click to view attachment
nprev
Ah! Thanks yet again, T. The Lump makes more sense now; we were indeed staring right down its greatest longitudinal dimension.
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1100).
Click to view attachment
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 23 2007, 12:24 PM) *
Updated route map (1096), including Cape of Good Hope.

John the II would be pleased to know that... smile.gif
Floyd
I'm confused by today's forward hazcam images. We haven't moved, was there to be a drive which was aborted?
Floyd
akuo
Could be images taken before a drive for whatever reason. At least they are before midsol and the drive number hasn't advanced.

Can't think why they'd deploy the IDD back and forth though.
Tesheiner
Strange.
Tosol imaging plan (see below) didn't include the usual sequences associated to a driving sol.

01101::p1151::04::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
01101::p1154::01::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
01101::p1214::05::2::0::0::2::0::4::front_haz_ultimate_4bpp_pri15
01101::p2140::06::13::13::0::0::2::28::pancam_LGA_dust_L234567Rall

Besides, the IDD was actually stowed and unstowed again.

Troubleshooting? unsure.gif
djellison
This is the routemap thread, not a 'what is the rover up to' thread.

Doug
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1103).
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1105).
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
The latest route map (sol 1107).
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1108).
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated route map (sol 1111).
About the new zoom window, it's just a test. It's nice but takes some additional work.

Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
I like it. It adds extra detail/information with the same number of pixels.
Edward Schmitz
I was really wanting full res rather than a full view of the crater. I was going to get around to suggesting that. I think your idea is perfect. Just what I wanted...

ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.