Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
BuckGalaxy
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Aug 3 2009, 07:42 AM) *
I took the liberty for updating the route map for the Sol 1963.

I think it's good, but it needs confirmations.

You guys rock but it appears you are slacking off lately. Is there a projected route map to Endeavor?
nprev
Uh...Buck, Ant103 & Tesheiner do these maps on their own time, and out of their own generosity they share their fine work with us; they are under no obligation to do so.
djellison
QUOTE (BuckGalaxy @ Aug 28 2009, 07:13 AM) *
You guys rock but it appears you are slacking off lately. Is there a projected route map to Endeavor?

Opportunity has been slacking as well smile.gif

Plenty in other threads - but to be honest, it's a fairly futile exercise, just as we figure out what they're up to they find a new obstacle of dunes etc. to avoid.
jamescanvin
Another 100 sols down, time for another update to my map:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Not so much progress this time, what with being at BI for ~50 sols and only being <100m from the sol 1927 position.

James
Tesheiner
Here's a map update up to sol 2002. I'm posting only the KML version for Google Mars basically because all the steps/moves at Block Island were too small to be visible in the usual map. Once Opportunity leaves the area I'll start posting both maps again as usual.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
stewjack
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 12 2009, 02:00 AM) *
because all the steps/moves at Block Island were too small to be visible in the usual map.

Great little map Tesheiner. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Back to "business"! smile.gif
Here's a map update after driving on sol 2004.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Maps for sol 2006.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 2007.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Nirgal
Thanks Tesheiner !

From now on looking on your road map updates will be the most exciting part of my daily web site/news visits again smile.gif

After the 60 sols of a fascinating shore excursion on Block Island we are about setting sail for uncharted territory again !

Really great to see her progressing so steadily on each "driveable" sol.
(which means the RF wheel currents must be still well under control.)

---------------------
"It's Drive, Drive, Drive Squyres said." wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
Another plot at the map; sol 2009.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Preliminary plot for sol 2011.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Updated after registering the navcam pictures.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Roving, roving, roving. smile.gif
Another plot on the map after tosol's 70m WSW drive.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2014.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Nirgal
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 23 2009, 09:52 PM) *
Map update for sol 2014.

what a beautiful pace she now has ... making steady & determined progress just perfectly smile.gif

and the terrain looks like becoming even better driveable further south-west on her way.

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
climber
Very close to 18 kms, aren't we?
jamescanvin
Scott Maxwell tweeted that Oppy has just passed 11 miles. That would be 17.7km
Tesheiner
Sol 2015.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2017. Back on bedrock.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Is that small crater at the bottom left corner our next waypoint?
Nirgal
since departure from BI we made almost half a kilometer in 15 days !

one month = one kilometer: just the perfect Endeavour-Pace biggrin.gif

------------------------------
"Drive, Drive, Drive"... wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
I love this pace too, but let's not forget the restricted sols.
Tesheiner
Here's the whole map, updated after sol 2020.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
3 sugestions (sorry no less)
+ add the 11 miles mark
+ add the 18 kms mark next drive (I know you'll do it smile.gif )
+ once it'll come add the 10 kms mark in strait line from Eagle (let me have a look at it since James pointed out the 9 kms mark recently)
Edited: James mesured 9.06 kms from Eagle on Sol 1870, so, we're above 10 kms by now but not much more.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 30 2009, 04:36 PM) *
3 sugestions (sorry no less)
+ 1. add the 11 miles mark
+ 2. add the 18 kms mark next drive (I know you'll do it smile.gif )
+ 3. once it'll come add the 10 kms mark in strait line from Eagle (let me have a look at it since James pointed out the 9 kms mark recently)
Edited: James mesured 9.06 kms from Eagle on Sol 1870, so, we're above 10 kms by now but not much more.

1. Well, I didn't include the 10 mile stone or previous ones so ... smile.gif
2. If this drive adds another 70m to the odometer, yes. wink.gif
3. I like the idea; actually the grid --squares each 100m-- gives almost all is needed to do it. The problem is that the grid origin in my map is the exit from VC, not Eagle, and it should be offset before adding labels (e.g. 5km, 10km) to the grid. Let's see what I can do.
SFJCody
Opportunity has a fair way to go before they are again as near to Endeavour as they were on sol 1927. Once they cross the green line in this image, they'll be closer.
BrianL
Oh cool, thanks SFJCody! I've been wondering where the "detour" ended.
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2022.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
It's time to go "back to business". smile.gif
Here's a map update after sol 2034, including the 18km mark (Hi climber!) which was crossed in this sol. The grid has been updated too; check my previous entry four posts above for more details.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
Farewell Shelter Island, nice knowing you... smile.gif

Can I just thank you for taking the time to make those Google Earth files, Tesh? Don't know about anyone else, but it's adding a whole new dimension to Oppy's Great Trek for me...
Poolio
I agree completely, Stu. I especially appreciate the attention to the small hops in Google Earth that wouldn't register on the JPG map.

Regarding the JPG map, I do have one request. Now that the grid has been changed, can you post an update of the whole map going back to Victoria? I overlay your daily map snippets on the latest big map every time you post them, but now the grid lines don't coincide anymore. (Am I the only one who does this...?) Thanks, Eduardo, and thanks for all your tireless work in maintaining this thread.
SFJCody
Tesheiner's been amazingly consistent and reliable. smile.gif

Here's the green line 'detour boundary' for Google Earth if anyone wants it . Looking at the most likely route, I'd say there's still another 1.5km to go before they cross it.
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 14 2009, 11:20 AM) *
including the 18km mark (Hi climber!)

Thanks Eduardo... and not only the 18 kms mark. I think we can say that we are now dead south of Eagle. Nice add up
Tesheiner
Yup. Only 450m westbound if we want to be precise.
But think of it; we are talking about 400m as almost nothing, near zero. Now, let's go back to sol 1 and think about this very same 450m. By that time, this distance would be considered as huge.

QUOTE (Poolio @ Oct 14 2009, 04:09 PM) *
Regarding the JPG map, I do have one request. Now that the grid has been changed, can you post an update of the whole map going back to Victoria?

I'll wait some days/updates before doing it since I don't want to attach that 1.4MB file too often.
Be patient. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Yet another update; sol 2038.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2040: another 70m to the odometer.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Note: The next driving sol we will be almost out of the original HiRISE coverage in GE!
ilbasso
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 20 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Note: The next driving sol we will be almost out of the original HiRISE coverage in GE!

And it's hard to believe, but we've added nearly 50% to Oppy's odometer since she left Duck Bay!
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2041.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Nirgal
Thanks for the (as always) prompt map update.

perfect pace again ...

only two or three more driving sols and she can go straight south, rock paved and nicely in parallel to the ripple crests smile.gif
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2042.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2043. Heading south!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2045. Let's keep this pace.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 2047.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
With this last move we were getting close to the bottom edge of my route map, so it's time to add another square-km to it. Here's the map, updated up to sol 2048.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
(The picture is becoming big!)
ustrax
"Fresh Crater" Tesheiner? "Fresh crater"?!
That's the glorious Lightning!...Or cranky, as some have called it... rolleyes.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 28 2009, 03:18 PM) *
(The picture is becoming big!)

Much like I used to tell my barber, you can take a little off the top. Victoria Crater is so last week's news, why not just lose it?
Ant103
Excellent !!! Very well done smile.gif
The journey become to be very long in the same time.
Phil Stooke
I agree that the top part could be 'retired' at this point. It's very nice to have this version with the new grid, but it can probably be dropped after this. But thanks for all your hard work!

Phil
Greg Hullender
I don't know, I appreciate seeing the big picture from time to time. I wouldn't mind seeing the WHOLE picture every now and then -- all the way back to Eagle crater.

--Greg
Tesheiner
Thanks for the comments but for the time being I'll keep the top part of the map as it is now because (IMO) 1) it gives a sense of scale to the whole trek and 2) the lack of an absolutely known feature like VC would make the map just a route "from nowhere to nowhere".
I *may* reduce it in the future or even make a new one but only if/when it becomes too big to be handled by my home computer and/or graphic tools.
vikingmars
Me too : I prefer a global picture, because it shows where we started from. Thanks again for your wonderful work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.