Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Tesheiner
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 12 2006, 04:49 AM) *
Oppy has took another mini-valley of crest after crossing two crests of ripples. Its new channel of valley, will go southward where will meet somewhat buried outcrop. After the outcrop, I seems the track will have more sand deposition. Let see how is the next days. However, the new minivalley, in general view, seems it is going for a long way as Tesheiner has calculated as 100 meters.

Rodolfo, that "100m figure" has nothing to do with a specific trough/"valley" as seen on the rover images but is just a raw measure of a point in which the terrain texture seems to change, and smooth, as seen from the orbital images.

Based on the last nav/pancams I would guess the following path for the next 50m up to the outcrop I think you are talking about.

Click to view attachment
(Annotated navcam mosaic, sol 846)
Ant103
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jun 9 2006, 10:52 PM) *
That's much better, Ant, but to be perfectly correct you should say:
Oui, nous sommes plus près de Victoria que d'Erebus.

Because what gregp1962 said: Aren't we just a bit over halfway between Erebus and Victoria?
means the same. biggrin.gif

Oops! I haven't seen the little word : over sad.gif, I must read more patiently before answer the question... This one change the sense of the sentence. Yes, it done : Oui, bla bla bla bla. wink.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (dilo @ Jun 12 2006, 01:24 AM) *
..and what about this dark, stright highway?
Click to view attachment
someone is indicating us a path, but do not seems really safe to me... rolleyes.gif

That picture is tough to trace the route since the crest does not run in a straight parallel line. I am not able to identify fully that the Oppy mini-valley is going to reach to the indicated arrow. I seems that its point is on the other one East mini-valley toward south. However, it is not of a matter importance. So, the Oppy mini-valley, up to now, it is clear to follow only by short distances with stops to observe before to adjust correctly the head direction. That route needs a fine driving.

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 12 2006, 03:14 AM) *
Rodolfo, that "100m figure" has nothing to do with a specific trough/"valley" as seen on the rover images but is just a raw measure of a point in which the terrain texture seems to change, and smooth, as seen from the orbital images.

Based on the last nav/pancams I would guess the following path for the next 50m up to the outcrop I think you are talking about.

Click to view attachment
(Annotated navcam mosaic, sol 846)

Yes, I was aware of this since the picture has no good resolution (1meter/pixel as does MRO) but much less, it seems like to have around 5m/pixel so at that resolution is not good enough for close and detailed navigation purposes.

About the tracing route is good except one part with caution (at middle of route), there is some kind of sand loose since it has slight slope of sand, some sand deposition. Hence, the best suggestion would be that Oppy must drive at the lowest point of that part between crest of ripples.

Let take care of pancam.gif .

Rodolfo
Shaka
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 12 2006, 06:27 AM) *
About the tracing route is good except one part with caution (at middle of route), there is some kind of sand loose since it has slight slope of sand, some sand deposition. Hence, the best suggestion would be that Oppy must drive at the lowest point of that part between crest of ripples.

Rodolfo

I'll admit that what inspires caution in you, Rod, scares me silly. I have serious doubts about our ability to get through that area. I hope we don't try. unsure.gif
Toma B
First sol848 post-drive images are on Exploratorium...
Looks like a good drive...no stuck wheels to... smile.gif
This is just beautifull image
RNeuhaus
Today at Sol 848, Oppy has advanced around 19 meters during the sol 846.

I took the image of Tesheiner as the reference:

Click to view attachment

Rodolfo
RNeuhaus
Sol 846

Stiched five NAVCAM pictures of L0 with 40% quality due to space easons

Click to view attachment (645KB)

Rodolfo
antoniseb
B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Jun 13 2006, 11:03 AM) *

First sol848 post-drive images are on Exploratorium...
Looks like a good drive...no stuck wheels to... smile.gif
This is just beautifull image
[/quote]

What is the distance between the rough patches in the track on the right? Is that a reliable way to judge how far the rover hs traveled?
Tesheiner
My updated route map (sol 848).

Click to view attachment
djellison
The rough patches are the brackets within the middle and rear wheels that were used to bolt the thing down to the lander deck.

26cm is the wheel diameter I've heard quoted - 81.7cm is thus the diameter

I can make 9 'gaps' between them out until that turning point near the horizon on the left track, so that would be approx 7.4M

Doug
RNeuhaus
un-needed quote removed

Everything is correct except "81.7cm is thus the diameter" the diameter as longitud. smile.gif

Rodolfo
djellison
DOH - the circumference smile.gif

Doug
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 13 2006, 02:13 PM) *
Today at Sol 848, Oppy has advanced around 19 meters during the sol 846. ...
Rodolfo

QUOTE (antoniseb @ Jun 13 2006, 03:11 PM) *
What is the distance between the rough patches in the track on the right? Is that a reliable way to judge how far the rover hs traveled?

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 13 2006, 03:20 PM) *
... I can make 9 'gaps' between them out until that turning point near the horizon on the left track, so that would be approx 7.4M
Doug
I hadn't previously put a great effort into measuring distances from the imagery, but I had made some rough tests to get a feel for it. These messages suggested to me a test of a combination of methods, and the results seemed worthy of a brief mention.

I measured the distance to a small rock in front of Opportunity in a sol 848 navcam to be 4.2 meters using AlgorimancerPG. I measured the distance to the same rock as visible in a pancam from sol 846 as 23.3 meters, again using AlgorimancerPG, and concluded that the straight line distance between the two points was approximately 19 meters. That result agreed with the number Rodolfo posted.

Then, I went to Doug's lookback measurement using the counted cleat marks back to the last turn, which he measured as 7.4 meters. I realized I could estimate the location of that turn, and measure the distance from the sol 846 location using AlgorimancerPG. The largest error occurs at this step, because I must guess the location of the turn in relation to the much foreshortened location of the 9th cleat mark in a hazcam image. Be that as it may, my estimated distance was 10.2 meters, which, added to 7.4 meters yields 17.6 meters. That's a bit short for an estimate including a turn, but sufficiently close to the straight line distance to make me feel comfortable with such estimates from raw imagery.

This is probably not much of a surprise to those of you who routinely make such estimates, but I was long overdue in going through this drill a bit more rigorously. blink.gif Perhaps there was a way to do the last part more accurately...
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 13 2006, 09:19 PM) *
My updated route map (sol 848).

Click to view attachment

I'll take my chance...But just as far as Beagle for now... smile.gif

Possible route to Beagle Crater
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jun 14 2006, 12:31 AM) *
I measured the distance to a small rock in front of Opportunity in a sol 848 navcam to be 4.2 meters using AlgorimancerPG. I measured the distance to the same rock as visible in a pancam from sol 846 as 23.3 meters, again using AlgorimancerPG, and concluded that the straight line distance between the two points was approximately 19 meters. That result agreed with the number Rodolfo posted.

Tom: Very good analysis and coments! smile.gif

I have own method which is empirical. I took the best distance-sol made by the official JPL. I measured its distance up to a milimeter to take a reference and again I measured the desired distance in milimeters and compute with the reference to get the results. However, this measurement has minor deviation error specially for short distances. I will try to learn to use the AlgoriancerPG tool.

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
An updated route map (sol 849).

Click to view attachment
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 14 2006, 10:57 AM) *
An updated route map (sol 849).

Click to view attachment

The Oppy's site must be a bit behind of outcrop, perhaps by 1.5 milimeter. The reasons are two:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...DPP2428L2M1.JPG
The outcrop on the left side is somewhat at south of Oppy.

Oppy has not yet arrived to stay on the outcrop but somewhat few meters behind.

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
I'll wait until all five navcams are downlinked to make a polar projection and better pinpoint the current position. If any change, you'll see them on the next "map release", hopefully tomorrow. smile.gif

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 14 2006, 06:26 PM) *
The outcrop on the left side is somewhat at south of Oppy.

Those pics are from yesterday not today. tongue.gif

This is the current view; at least 40m of rocky terrain ahead.
Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 14 2006, 08:33 AM) *
This is the current view; at least 40m of rocky terrain ahead.
Click to view attachment

Uh oh. I think I see festoons in the foreground ohmy.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 14 2006, 10:38 AM) *

These are not the festoons we are looking for. You can go about your business. laugh.gif

Brian
Shaka
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 14 2006, 06:38 AM) *

Hard to say from this angle, Dan'l. Could be iron pyrite - "Fool's Festoons" cool.gif
We've seen 'em before.
Looks like the 'ejecta shards' have thinned out a bit. Maybe because we're farther from the rock pile.
Best look again tomorrow. unsure.gif
Joffan
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 14 2006, 11:21 AM) *
These are not the festoons we are looking for. You can go about your business. laugh.gif

Brian
laugh.gif
but also:
blink.gif
<sigh> That it should come to this - layered rock has become merely a distracting feature of a good driving surface...

Shaka, I'm ready to abandon the hypothesis that the scattered stones we saw earlier are outlying ejecta directly from CC. Rockpile droppings it is. wink.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Joffan @ Jun 14 2006, 01:02 PM) *
Rockpile droppings it is. wink.gif
If you shovel them in around your evaporite garden they'll make your hematite blueberries grow larger. biggrin.gif
Zeke4ther
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 14 2006, 01:21 PM) *
Brian

I can see who has been watching too much "Star Wars" laugh.gif
Tesheiner
Route map, updated to sol 850.

Click to view attachment
Shaka
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 14 2006, 01:32 PM) *
If you shovel them in around your evaporite garden they'll make your hematite blueberries grow larger. biggrin.gif

The only trouble is, it takes a billion years! cool.gif
hortonheardawho
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 15 2006, 04:30 PM) *
Route map, updated to sol 850.

You might be interested to know that I had just completed my sol 850 route map when you posted yours -- and your map and mine was within a pixel of one another!

Corner crater was 4.64 degrees wide -- which put it at 432 meters distance and the distance moved since last sol was 36 meters ( pancam / navcam parallax measurments ) and the distance to the next major outcrop along the dune trough was 107 meters ( pancam parallax ) and the angular separation between corner crater right edge and a really neat 5 meter tilted crater at 85 meters +/- 15 ( navcam parallax) was 112 degrees...

I don't think I will bother doing an independent map anymore.
Zeke4ther
Excellent analysis though, keep it up! smile.gif
I also look forward to your imaging work. Though I have never been on the other forum, what I have seen here is superior quality. mars.gif cool.gif
hortonheardawho
QUOTE (Zeke4ther @ Jun 15 2006, 06:32 PM) *
Excellent analysis though, keep it up! smile.gif
I also look forward to your imaging work. Though I have never been on the other forum, what I have seen here is superior quality. mars.gif cool.gif

You know Zeke4ther, there is no excuse for you not to have visited The Other forum.

I can understand not participating, but not even to kick the tires and take a test spin?

So... what will it take to get you into a used, low milage Mondeo -- hardly ever on the road except for occasional trips between Mars and Reading with the wife and kids to pay on the £127,000 mortgage?

If you are simply interested in some more color by Horticolor, you can try here.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Jun 15 2006, 10:59 PM) *
You might be interested to know that I had just completed my sol 850 route map when you posted yours -- and your map and mine was within a pixel of one another!

Good to know that. Sometimes I miss a sort of "double-checking".
Bill Harris
>I miss a sort of "double-checking".

I suspect that your routes are checked quite often... wink.gif

--Bill
CosmicRocker
The sol 850 drive was the longest yet since getting stuck. This long straight chute Opportunity has been following just keeps going and going. In the last 4-5 drives Opportunity has made it about halfway across this old crater basin and now begins the drive up, toward the opposite side. I think the view from the opposite side should be awesome. With a little luck she could be there by next weekend. smile.gif
ylbs101
Tesheiner,

I registered today just to post a big THANK YOU for all your efforts over the past 2.5 years -- keeping a sol-ly route map of Opportunity current.

Great Job!

Tom
CosmicRocker
Sol 851 hazcams are on Exploratorium. It looks like about a 30 meter drive.
Tesheiner
Route map, updated to sol 851.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (ylbs101 @ Jun 16 2006, 06:56 PM) *
Tesheiner,

I registered today just to post a big THANK YOU for all your efforts over the past 2.5 years -- keeping a sol-ly route map of Opportunity current.

Great Job!

Tom

Thanks for your kind words, Tom. smile.gif

... but 2.5 years is too much! I was even unaware of the existence of this great forum.
Toma B
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 16 2006, 07:33 PM) *
... but 2.5 years is too much! I was even unaware of the existence of this great forum.

Those were "the dark ages" when we could wait months to see MER locations update on JPL/NASA/MER site...
Thank you Tesheiner from me too....
RNeuhaus
Next week, Oppy will slow down the transverse due to restricted sols. The source of the information is from Mars' JPL.

Next week the rover will be on restricted sols, meaning the end-of-sol data from the rover does not get to Earth until late in the day, so the team plans every other day without it. The plan will be for Opportunity to drive every other day. On the days off, the team will plan light remote sensing and downlink some of the unsent data that is building up in memory.

Rodolfo
BrianL
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 16 2006, 09:13 PM) *
Next week, Oppy will slow down the transverse due to restricted sols. The source of the information is from Mars' JPL.

The part of the report I find interesting is this:

Sol 846: After little progress in two adjacent troughs, Opportunity moved one more trough to the west. Slip checks were used to prevent driving with over 40 percent slip. The soil was relatively firm, and the rover made 9 meters (30 feet) of progress.

Sol 847: Opportunity conducted atmospheric science and took rear-looking images with its navigation camera.

This was the point at which I thought perhaps they were on the verge of another embedding and they did indeed make a course correction. The hazcam shots hinted at a bit of a mess when they did this, and I have been waiting to see the rear navcam shots of this area. The report seems to indicate those pictures were taken on sol 847, but they have not yet appeared on either JPL or exploratorium sites. I would like to know more about how they managed a turn and drive so quickly in an area that was causing them slippage problems.

Brian
antoniseb
Is it realistic that with the restricted Sols and the upcoming soft terrain that Opportunity will get to the edge of this old crater next week? Are we expecting that the terrain after that will be more rigid?
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (antoniseb @ Jun 17 2006, 10:19 AM) *
Is it realistic that with the restricted Sols and the upcoming soft terrain that Opportunity will get to the edge of this old crater next week? Are we expecting that the terrain after that will be more rigid?

I am neither sure about the advance type of surface since the MOC does not show good resolution pictures. Surely, MERB is approaching a large pool of outcrop which will help it to transverse climbing small crests of sand toward East until the point in which MERB will go straight southward to CC.

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
An updated route map (sol 853)

Click to view attachment
RNeuhaus
From the Sol 853, Oppy is about 306 368 meters from the north rim Corner Crater.

Rodolfo

Re-edited on distance correction.
climber
[quote name='RNeuhaus' date='Jun 19 2006, 04:21 AM' post='58881']
From the Sol 853, Oppy is about 306 meters from the north rim Corner Crater.
Rodolfo

Using last week speed as a reference and assuming there is 2.5 the distance AND 10 days of restricted sols we'll need another 20 sols to get to Beagle! Bigre...
Phil Stooke
This is the latest version of my Opportunity map, just from Erebus to Beagle. The 100 m grid distances are counted from the landing site. They are only approximate. Each big square is 500 m across and will eventually be a separate illustration.

I'll be in the UK for the next three weeks with only very limited access to UMSF, but I hope we'll reach a conclusion about the location of the beacon during that time.

Phil

Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
Thanks for sharing your excellent maps, Phil -- duly blogged!
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000611/

--Emily
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 19 2006, 11:13 PM) *
This is the latest version of my Opportunity map, just from Erebus to Beagle.

Nice map, Phil.
djellison
I used to think "ahh - HiRISE imagery will make doing route maps much better, I'm looking forward to it", now instead I think "ahh - HiRISE imagery will make Phils route maps much better, I'm looking forward to them"

smile.gif

Doug
Stu
Gorgeous map Phil, as usual. smile.gif One of the reasons I love seeing all these maps is reading the names of the features that now seem to flash by as we head south... can't recall anyone ever mentioning the "Vermillion Cliffs" before? Did we see those on any images? Can anyone point me to them if we did.

Vermillion Cliffs... beautiful, just beautiful... What a planet we're exploring here... what an amazing world we're going to make of it some day... rolleyes.gif
MichaelT
Thanks for the phantastic map, Phil! Which program do you use to compile it?

Btw.: How do you spell "Vermilion/Vermillion Cliffs"? Cause on the web I most often found the "double l" version. What is correct?

Michael
Phil Stooke
the name Vermillion Cliffs comes from:

http://athena.cornell.edu/news/mubss/archive/2005_09.html

and my spelling would appear to be a typo! I'll fix it.

I use Photoshop for everything. I would wash my socks with it if I could.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.