Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Phil Stooke
We have left Spirit of St. Louis and headed north. Not long now until the conjunction period. I imagine they will head east now to get to the head of the valley before conjunction. I still don't know that I have Le Bourget labelled correctly.

Phil

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Maybe going back to check out Marathon Monument for comparison with Lindbergh?

Quote: I still don't know that I have Le Bourget labelled correctly
They really should tell you these things. There again maybe they're playing an evil game. "Let's invent a feature name and see where Phil puts it."
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 26 2015, 09:17 PM) *
I still don't know that I have Le Bourget labelled correctly.

Phil, your labelling of 'Le Bourget' is just great smile.gif
Btw, it's where the Paris Air Show takes place : the next edition will start June 14 and lasts until the next Sunday (June 21) included...
dvandorn
And if you can't see Le Bourget well, we can get the locals to drive out and light it with their automobile headlights... wink.gif

-the other Doug
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4031, where we will sit during conjunction.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Time for a closeup of Spirit of St. Louis as we pass through conjunction.

Phil

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 15 2015, 02:55 AM) *
Time for a closeup of Spirit of St. Louis as we pass through conjunction. Phil

What a NICE map !
Please, let me take this opportunity to thank you so much, Phil, for all the GREAT work of cartography you are doing for us and since several years now.
It's so much appreciated indeed.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Olivier!

Here's an update to sol 4061, a small move. EDIT -OOPS!!! A bit rusty after conjunction. I reversed my before and after images, I think! - this is a corrected version of the map. Previous one deleted.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4076.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Helloooo! Is anybody out there? Opportunity just drove again... hellloooooo....

Anyway, here's a map of the new drive, for whenever people get back from Pluto.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nogal
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 14 2015, 05:16 PM) *
Helloooo! Is anybody out there?

Here! Here! Thanks Phil biggrin.gif
Fernando
ngunn
The 4077 location must be very close to the saddle point at the head of the valley. It must be onward and downward from here.
Phil Stooke
It's a bit difficult to map the sol 4078 drive with so few images down, but I think we are at the foot of Swann Hill and near the top of the slope into the valley. The route is not as well constrained as the position.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This map update uses the drive maps tweeted by Mike Seibert (thanks!) to correct my drive paths, and it adds the sol 4079 drive to bring us up to date.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
The map is updated to sol 4081 - I had to cut a few names out, but they will end up on other maps later.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4084, where we are as I post this on sol 4088.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Map updated to sol 4096.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This update adds a few names and the stops shown in Larry Crumpler's blog (thanks, Larry!)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We moved back up the valley a little bit - so a map update.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A belated update. Things are getting complicated on the valley floor and I'm trying to make a high resolution map from reprojected panoramas on a Hirise base, but it's tricky. Also trying to make sure names are in the right place. Any corrections or additions gratefully received.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4152 - I'm still struggling with the detailed map of the valley floor, which will untangle the complexity here.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4157, location only approximate so far. That new map is coming...

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Oh - here it is now! (some details may be refined as I learn more)

Phil

Click to view attachment

Phil Stooke
We are moving towards the south wall at the moment - update to sol 4160.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
OK, north again! Sitting on a big fracture.

Phil

Click to view attachment
serpens
It sure is., Just sometimes it is nice to correlate the map to a ground image.

Phil Stooke
Another update - looks like I will need a new base map soon.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A quick update to sol 4200 while I work on a new base map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Tim Parker's map at the MER website has allowed me to correct an error in the Opportunity route map (full Navcam pans would really help with location, but images are precious right now). I am trying to put together a detailed map of the current area as well. A couple of feature names are floating while I try to place them better.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's a close-up route map for Opportunity's recent activities. The target locations are not precise. I hope we will get an update from Larry Crumpler in due course to give me more details.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
First drive of the new year! Not very far, but here's a map. (EDIT - very quickly replaced with a version with a few more names)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another short drive on sol 4270.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A tiny move on sol 4291.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Catching up with Opportunity after a bit of a gap. Sol 4320 - moving to a different location on the slope, or perhaps a different approach to the rocks they couldn't reach last time. Not sure yet!

Phil

Click to view attachment

PS not sure that I have 'Northwest Ridge' in the right place, it might be the far side of the valley.
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4323.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another drive, another map - just as LPSC concludes.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Yikes, it's hard to keep up. Let's hope Curiosity stays put for a week so I can catch up here. Yeah, just kidding (sort of). I have things to add to this when I can get to it, some names and white squares to indicate the main science sites (where IDD is used). The route into the valley is shown subdued and cleared of labels (compare with earlier maps) for clarity.

This smaller scale (larger area) map shows our recent drives in a wider context. We are still in Marathon Valley, but you can see here that it has two halves, separated by Knudsen Ridge. And Opportunity is so far up the slope now that it can now see down into the southern half of the valley for the first time.

Phil (doing this update in the beautiful Public Library in Flagstaff)

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another drive on sol 4334.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4341. The recent locations are only approximate.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A little drive on sol 4345.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And another little drive on sol 4375.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A close-up of Station 3 to try to sort out these small moves. I may not have every detail figured out yet!

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 4406. I will try to complete a map of the activities at Station 3 (update to map above) soon.

This new map contains a major correction of recent locations based on the JPL maps.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here is my map of Station 3 activities.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
update to sol 4415.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Now updated to sol 4419.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Holder of the Two Leashes
Did it notice it dropped something?
Phil Stooke
Good one! No, they took multispectral images of the work area but some were lost, so they had to go back to re-take them.

Phil
Phil Stooke
And now, sol 4423, back towards Mesa but not all the way. I don't know the path yet.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And now, sol 4426, right back to Mesa.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.