Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
jamescanvin
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 22 2010, 09:24 AM) *
Astro0, does the colour difference in another 2 kms or so, on the scheduled path, shows when we'll be going downhill?

That colour change is on the pdf version - I guess it indicates the transition from 'planned' route to 'hypothetical' route.

As it is so flat around here and the contours are far apart it is hard to tell, but anywhere between Conception and 500m past it, should be the start of the downhill run to Endeavour (and HOAV time). smile.gif

Mini-Endurance by Christmas I'd say. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
FWIW, I've added the planned route as another layer on the GE version of the route map (thanks SFJCody!).

Click to view attachment
Astro0
I was thinking about that map and wondering what the drop down to Endeavour will be like.
I think is about right for the 'Descent towards Endeavour' that might commence late in the year(?!) if all goes smoothly wink.gif
Click to view attachment

EDIT: I stand corrected. See the revised version of the map above here smile.gif
eoincampbell
What do you mean by HOAV ?
ngunn
Here's Stu's polite version: "heck of a view".
Tesheiner
It's time for another update. Sol 2133.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Yet another update; sol 2136. And this time I'm posting the whole map again.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dig
Hi,

I have long followed this thread but I have not written much already, really.

I have a question about the maps published in KML format. Indeed, an extraordinary job. Take this opportunity to congratulate everyone, especially Teehseiner.

The doubt is that when you load the KML in Google Earth does not get a high resolution map of the latter sites the Rover. Specifically since the route began in Sol 2042.

How can I get it to load in the background?.

Thanks
Tesheiner
This section of the background is not part of GE itself but another KML layer created by UMSF member SFJCody based on HiRISE maps.
You should download it with uTorrent. The link is, ..., mmm, somewhere here in this very same thread (edit: already answered by James).
Dig
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 27 2010, 02:36 PM) *
This section of the background is not part of GE itself but another KML layer created by UMSF member SFJCody based on HiRISE maps.
You should download it with uTorrent. The link is, ..., mmm, somewhere here in this very same thread (edit: already answered by James).

Thank you both. Everything perfect now.
Tesheiner
Our position on sol 2138.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
walfy
I can't believe found this forum only recently, after following Oppy's progress on JPL's website for the last 5 years, where maps are updated every few months. Very cool to see these maps updated in real time here! Thank you.
ngunn
Welcome on board!
ngunn
If admins approve, and to celebrate the opening up of wide horizons, I suggest a new thread called 'distant vistas' or something like that to hold discussions of this kind. We don't want to clutter up this thread or other location-specific ones. With that in mind here are a couple of links to start off:

QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 28 2010, 04:35 PM) *

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...amp;qpid=154408

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...amp;qpid=141505

In passing I note that the nearest Endeavour 'rim' hills actually rise from some way down inside the hole so we won't see their feet till we're almost there. In the Endeavour Crater thread there was a very nice HRSC 3D view of Endeavour which somebody annotated with elevations. I wanted to look at that again but the HRSC links no longer work for me. Can anybody help with that?
Tesheiner
You are right, and I was wondering the same yesterday.

New thread Distant vistas: Endeavour, Iazu and beyond created.
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2143.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
walfy
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 3 2010, 01:03 AM) *
Map update after sol 2143.

Tesheiner, your maps look just like the official ones on JPL's website. Are you the real thing? If so, that is awesome that you post them here for us, and so up-to-date. As I've said in a previous post, I can't believe I just found this forum. It's a privilege to be following this historic expedition, and to read posts from "insiders," if that's the case. Thanks again.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (walfy @ Feb 4 2010, 01:36 AM) *
Tesheiner, your maps look just like the official ones on JPL's website.

Huh? huh.gif
Sorry, but I don't see the coincidence.

And no, I'm just a "space enthusiast", no "insider".
djellison
QUOTE (walfy @ Feb 4 2010, 12:36 AM) *
Tesheiner, your maps look just like the official ones on JPL's website.

I think this says a lot about ET's talent. But at some level, when you're drawing points ( which you know to be right ) on the same reference image, two maps are going to look pretty much alike.

ETs map's were not always as awesome as this....but they have always been awesome smile.gif
walfy
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 4 2010, 01:28 AM) *
Huh? huh.gif
Sorry, but I don't see the coincidence.

And no, I'm just a "space enthusiast", no "insider".

You're right, they are a little different.
I didn't compare them closely...
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2145.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
fredk
Tesheiner, I wonder if it might be useful for some (those not actively using GE?) to provide a larger-scale closeup map showing our route as we circumnavigate Concepcion?
Phil Stooke
Maybe I'll post a close-up after this stop is over. I made them for some of our other stops.

Phil
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2147. The rover's position change is barely visible on the 1m/pix map so here's a snapshot taken from the GE version.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
For those of you who want to follow Eduardo's latest maps in GE since Oppy wandered off the included HiRISE base map, I've mirrored the HiRISE image map update here (256 MB Zip file; download, unzip, and then open "MER-B map extension version 2.0.kml" within Google Mars).
Tesheiner
Great, Emily!
Perhaps I should include a link to it on the route map...
belleraphon1
Folks...

I am in GOOGLE MARS doing the a slow roll along Tesheiner's route mapping for Oppy and listening to "Winds of Mars" CD.
Highly recommend the experience
WOW... what a relaxer ........

Craig
Stu
That's really useful, thanks Emily! smile.gif
brellis
thx Emily! It's like living a dream to fly around G.Mars smile.gif
tim53
QUOTE (brellis @ Feb 13 2010, 01:28 AM) *
thx Emily! It's like living a dream to fly around G.Mars smile.gif

Hi all!

I've been trying to find a streamlined way of posting my Opportunity location maps for public access for some time now, and hopefully that's going to start happening soon (today?). In the meantime, here are my latest (remember that Oppy hasn't moved in a few sols). First is the map at the HiRISE mosaic resolution of 25cm/pixel. Second is a 5cm/pixel projection of the Navcam panoramas onto the HiRISE image, around Concepcion.

vikingmars
smile.gif your data is perfect as usual, Tim !
Tesheiner
QUOTE (tim53 @ Feb 18 2010, 08:16 PM) *
I've been trying to find a streamlined way of posting my Opportunity location maps for public access for some time now, and hopefully that's going to start happening soon (today?).

KML files for Google Mars on the MER website maybe? That would be great! smile.gif

QUOTE (tim53 @ Feb 18 2010, 08:16 PM) *
Second is a 5cm/pixel projection of the Navcam panoramas onto the HiRISE image, around Concepcion.

I presume that's a projection of the 3D meshes generated from both L&R images. I would love to put my hands on such tools...
tim53
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 18 2010, 12:53 PM) *
KML files for Google Mars on the MER website maybe? That would be great! smile.gif

I'm hoping to do that at some point soon, but need to get the paper writ first that includes contributions from JPLers to the planning software used to make the maps.

-Tim.
tim53
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 18 2010, 01:08 PM) *
I presume that's a projection of the 3D meshes generated from both L&R images. I would love to put my hands on such tools...

Forgot to comment on this. Yes, that is from the project's planning software. But I believe there is commercial software out there to do something similar, provided the camera models can be generated. For example, I use Point Grey Research firewire cameras for planetary imaging (I'm an amateur astronomer), and Pt Grey has stereo camera systems and software to build 3-D files from stereo pairs.

There must be others, but I haven't had any opportunities (sorry for the pun) to explore these myself.

-Tim.
Tesheiner
Update after sol 2161.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
... and after sol 2165.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Looks like we're leaving already!? Or are they stopping to examine the eject 'tail'?
Floyd
I think just going around all the rocks in this ray. A little dangerous to cross rock piles.
Tesheiner
Here's the GE map update after sol 2167.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
djellison
Guys - a polite reminder -this thread is for maps, or discussion of making/tweaking/interpreting the maps. There are routine threads for discussion of actual rover ops.
Tesheiner
Yet another update. Sol 2170 i.e. yestersol.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the map for sol 2172.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I've included Santa Maria (Mini-Endurance) too. Note that the label is really displaced wrt the default low-res map; you must load SFJCody's maps to see if properly.
Dig
Congratulations Tesheiner. Emily Lakdawalla has a link to one of your route maps for Opportunity in an article in the Planetary Society Blog.
Tesheiner
Thanks Dig. smile.gif
I read the article before your post but didn't realized the link was pointing here. In any case, I suppose that map was not the one used by SS on the conference but he would have used one from the project itself. That would be too much for the heart! laugh.gif
Tesheiner
Sol 2173.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Since we are moving towards another "waypoint" I thought it was time to include it in the big map.
Here's the latest version, updated up to sol 2177.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Edit: GE version corrected.
Oersted
One day, when these missions are over, it would be great to have route maps showing all the tiny wiggles and turns of the actual rover movements instead of the "straight-line" representations in Tesheiner´s day-to-day updates. We have the data (hazcam pics) to draw in the actual micro-scale wiggly routes the rovers have taken. I am thinking of the slight deviations from straight lines that happen when dunes are crossed, when the navigation software works independently, etc.
Tesheiner
Here's the map update corresponding to sol 2179.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2181.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.