Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Tesheiner
Here's a crop of the map with the latest data from sol 2049.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

A mars bar for the first one to guess the distance covered today without looking at the map. tongue.gif
Hungry4info
I've seen "70 m" and "steady pace" thrown around earlier so...
70 m? unsure.gif
Tesheiner
Bingo.

Click to view attachment
Enjoy!
climber
I could may be apply to be a Rover driver those days... biggrin.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Poolio
Looks like about 50 meters on sol 2050? As usual, awaiting corroboration from the master...

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Right at the money! smile.gif
Here's my version.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
I hadn't gone to Google Mars in a while. It looks like a larger strip of HIRISE overlay is needed, or is it just me?
SFJCody
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 31 2009, 01:43 PM) *
I hadn't gone to Google Mars in a while. It looks like a larger strip of HIRISE overlay is needed, or is it just me?

I've created an extension to the HiRISE coverage which you can find here.

Edit: ...at least you could, a while back. I think legittorrents may have gone down temporarily.

Edit 2: I've added a new tracker. smile.gif You can now get the torrent here.

Edit 3: I spoke too soon! Just seen this message on the tracker: "Le status de moderation de ce torrent l'empeche d'etre actif pour le telechargement. Une enquete est en cours concernant sa legitimite sur freetorrent.fr"
As the file is an entirely legitimate one that I made from a public domain image it should be fine. Hopefully they'll approve it.

Edit 4: OK this one has GOT to work! Use this! smile.gif
Tesheiner
Wow, two map updates on the same day! (I was a bit late on the previous one)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Oct 31 2009, 07:58 AM) *
... Use this! smile.gif

I've been using your original three part set of maps, and they seem to work well for me. Would I find much of an advantage in downloading the new v2 extension?
Hungry4info
QUOTE ("Tesheiner")
Bingo. Enjoy!
Lol woot!

Is Google Mars up to date? or updated often? I recently downloaded the programme and Opportunity was one of my first targets of course. From what I saw, it seemed like it was rather behind in updating Opportunity's path. Most notably, I checked after she turned around and headed for Block Island, but Google Mars did not show that.
SFJCody
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 1 2009, 02:44 AM) *
I've been using your original three part set of maps, and they seem to work well for me. Would I find much of an advantage in downloading the new v2 extension?

The original version works well enough. The updated version is in full resolution, although it only incorporates one extra HiRISE image (so far).

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Nov 1 2009, 08:01 AM) *
it seemed like it was rather behind in updating Opportunity's path. Most notably, I checked after she turned around and headed for Block Island, but Google Mars did not show that.

I don't think they've updated Opportunity's path since the first release. That's why Tesheiner's making his Google Mars route map updates. You might also want to download version 1 or version 2 of my additional HiRISE overlays
Tesheiner
I saw just one route update after the first release.
In any case I don't blame them; Opportunity's site is just one of hundreds (if not thousands) of interesting places. If they would have to update GE with each and every new image --or path in this case-- whenever they become available, it would be a significant task in terms of effort (and probably $$$). This is a really powerful tool and I believe it's our opportunity (no pun intended) to make use of it with, for instance, my route map and SFJCody's supplementary background.
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2054 and another 70m to the wheels.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 2056.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2058.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the GE map version for sol 2061. The JPEG map is almost the same as the previous one and I don't want to clutter it too much.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2063.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Yestersol was sol B-2100 , time for another map update:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

James
Julius
Whats the coloured representing?Topography or geologic units?What does the green area represent?
alan
The height of the ripples: red large ripples, green little ripples.
brellis
Every 1000 times I want to say thank you, I feel compelled to post. See you on Sol 3100!! smile.gif
Tesheiner
Here's an update to the maps after sols 2122 and 2123.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 2124, including the 19km mark.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2125.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And another milestone; we are 11km south of the landing site. That's the thick horizontal line in the grid.
Nirgal
2021,2022,2023,2024 .... Soooo good to see her driving each successive sols again smile.gif

kwp
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 21 2009, 02:48 AM) *
Yestersol was sol B-2100 , time for another map update:

Given that Oppy's the first and so-far only non-Lunar landing mission to every wander beyond its landing ellipse, I'd be curious (pleased) to see a big white line drawn across one of these large-scale route maps. Anyone? Anyone?

(Had to specify "landing" mission as the Venera balloons drifted well outside of their ellipses.)

-Kevin
djellison
That happened a long time ago - and was notated as you ask. Search for something before asking for it.
briv1016
Here you go.

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/0...Ellipse_25m.gif

You can see Victoria Crater in the mid-lower right.
centsworth_II
Here's an annotated version with Endurance, Victoria, and Endeavour craters indicated as well as a very crude indication of Opportunity's route.

EDIT: actual route (red) added.
Click to view attachment
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/01/24/
imipak
Talking of milestones, total odometry on reaching Victoria on Sol 952 was 9279.34m; on Sol 2124, it was 19,025.92m. So we've already driven as far after arrival at Duck Bay as Duck Bay was from Eagle.
fredk
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jan 17 2010, 07:45 PM) *
...a very crude indication of Opportunity's route.

Since this is the route map thread, it's probably worth mentioning that the actual path to Victoria was much more north-to-south (perhaps you mis-IDed Erebus?). You can see the entire route at a similar scale here for example. It was in the vicinity of Erebus that we crossed the ellipse.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 17 2010, 02:27 PM) *
...(perhaps you mis-IDed Erebus?)....
Oops! Yeah, I should have realized that Erebus is not as big as -- or due East of -- Victoria.

EDIT: I added the actual route to the landing ellipse in my last post.
Tesheiner
Here's my route map update after sol 2128.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
We'll be there by week-end. Still driving in the 60's m a sol and have a good RF rest afterwords.
I love this plan.
kwp
Using the Oppy+landing ellipse image for context (thanks, Centsworth!) I've placed Oppy's route on a pre-landing image showing the putative hematite distribution (warmer colors = more hematite). Looks like we're soon heading for spectrally distinct terrain . Wonder if the "ground truth" will really look any different? Fewer blueberries? Just more dust and duracrust on the ground?

-Kevin

antoniseb
QUOTE (kwp @ Jan 19 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Using the Oppy+landing ellipse image for context ...

Thanks for this. I finally see why the Western Route makes sense.

Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2130.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Stu
What do you think? 2 more drives and we're there?
Tesheiner
Yes. smile.gif
SFJCody
Here's a google earth path for the predicted route.

Edit: modified final part of path. See this post for reason.
brellis
hey SFJCody, I tried to download your MER-b map extension via uTorrent, but it made no progress after several hours. Is there another way to do it?

Thanks!
SFJCody
QUOTE (brellis @ Jan 21 2010, 07:53 PM) *
hey SFJCody, I tried to download your MER-b map extension via uTorrent, but it made no progress after several hours. Is there another way to do it?

Thanks!

Sorry about that. unsure.gif I forgot to keep seeding it. I'm seeding it now so it should work.
brellis
Much appreciated. I get scared when my Google Mars flights go off the HiRISE path huh.gif
Tesheiner
Sol 2131. Getting closer.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
brellis
Thanks, SJFCody! smile.gif
Astro0
The map from the report on Oppy's traverse is quite interesting, albiet a bit small.
I've really stretched and sharpened the image and added Tesheiner's excellent route map on top.
Thought that this might give everyone a better idea of where Oppy is and the road ahead. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
nprev
Thanks, Astro0! Looks like once she's over the ridge it's all downhill from there, eh?
climber
We're also 11km (nearly) dead South of the landing site. This could help for scale.
Astro0, does the colour difference in another 2 kms or so, on the scheduled path, shows when we'll be going downhill? Sorry it's not THAT clear to me. If yes, it'll be helpfull to put a clear mark on the map, I think.
Pending we'll have a 360° pan very soon, we'll have to launch a "Find Victoria" campaing.
Hopefully in another 6-8 months (I try to be conservative since winter's coming), we'll be at the start of the downhill path and could also start to look for mini-Endurance crater.
All this to say: your post is very helpfull Astro0.
NW71
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 22 2010, 09:24 AM) *
All this to say: your post is very helpfull Astro0.

I'd like to echo climber's comments above.

To Astro0, Tesh, Phil and all the others who take the time to create and upload the diagrams/graphs/misc items a big thank you.

It really does help a newbie such as myself to put a great deal of information and factors surrounding various rover decisions into context. smile.gif

Neil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.