Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Stu
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Nov 3 2012, 05:49 PM) *
I follow the maps faithfully but never download the kmz file. What am I missing?

You're not 'missing' anything as such, but they do allow you to follow the route more closely, view it from different angles, get more of a feel for the terrain etc. I use them on my blog and for Outreach work, obviously, but I think they're a fantastic resource for anyone following the mission. And if a UMSFer produces something so useful, in their own time, it's only fair that we support their efforts. smile.gif
ngunn
Is this based on the newer CRISM data? The illustrations are quite small, but it does look different to me. The red area forms a complete ring around the bigger subdued crater a few tens of metres SW of us.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...qZlGzT75XBAiBLg
fredk
No, it says the measurements are from Wray etal, that's the older 2009 results.
brellis
I was without Google Earth for awhile during computer transition. Got my new hot rod with Google Earth - yay!
nprev
MOD NOTE: Guys, let's minimize the chit-chat here. This is a dedicated thread to track Oppy's progress. Thanks!
Tesheiner
A map update for sol 3121.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3124.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3128, although this is just "preliminary" data. Will have to adjust it later on, once thisol images are downlinked.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3132.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a map update for sol 3135. Google Earth only. The other map will take a little bit more time because I have to remove some "clutter".
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Done.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the zoom portion of the route map updated as of sol 3155.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
There was no change on Opportunity's position since some time ago but I just saw my last update here is still from when she was parked near the previous target (Copper Cliff). This one is good 'til sol 3187.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a map update, good up to sol 3205.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 3206.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
A quick update before heading to work. Sol 3212.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Another map update. Corrected sol 3212 position and added a few more.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a quick update of Opportunity's approximate position as of sol 3230.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TheAnt
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 24 2013, 08:41 PM) *
Here's a quick update of Opportunity's approximate position as of sol 3230.

Thank you again for your great work on keeping track. And Opportunity have indeed been backtracking now for a while.
But that's good I guess it means that they got something interesting to investigate in the area.
brellis
Thanks more than 3000 times, Tesh!
Tesheiner
Thanks everyone! smile.gif

Nothing really new here, just a slight adjustment of the current position on the map. We're parked almost at the same spot as on sol 3101.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
I added a few feature names to the map. The main ones referred on the status reports. @Phil, I think I got them correctly; what do you think?
And it is updated with the data from yesterday's drive.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Looks good to me.

Phil
Tesheiner
Here's a map update for sol 3246. Same site as on sol 3063.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
fredk
Thanks as always, Tesheiner. Is there a chance there's a marker missing for sol 3216 on your map crop?

When the map starts getting this crowded, you know it's time to drive! wheel.gif
Tesheiner
The map is so cluttered and that position was so close to 3219 that I intentionally deleted it.
And, yes, it's time to move on. smile.gif
brellis
Starting to look like the end of a Benny Hill episode biggrin.gif
jasedm
That made me smile....
fredk
Benny Hill? Reminds me of this post in this very thread many years ago...

Or this one for Spirit... laugh.gif
dilo
I support the idea to rename Matijevic hill as Benny Hill! tongue.gif
Tesheiner
Here's another map update, probably the last one at "Benny Hill".
The current position (sol 3257) is virtually the same as during sols 3233-3240.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
Going back and forth with Opportunity : I think they are on the verge of making/announcing big discoveries that will compete with those made with Curiosity smile.gif
Tesheiner
I had no time to do a proper update of the route map so here's just a snapshot from the KML version on Google Earth/Mars.
Seems that she will be leaving Cape York quite soon.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
A quick update after sol 3310.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Yet another update, now after sol 3312.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Updated after sol 3314, including a pin at the 36km mark.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's another update, now up to sol 3316 and revising / adjusting some of the previous positions.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mhoward
Nice work, as always.

This is minor, but there was a jog to the W-NW from the sol 3312 position to image tiny "Duyfken Crater" before continuing south. The metadata was updated some time after the drive, and we still don't have the images, so it's a little obscure.
Tesheiner
Thanks Mike. I will take that into account on the next map update.
I was a little bit puzzled by that imaging sequence ("Duyfken Crater") because it was too wide (3x1) and pointing nowhere (basically N). I thought it was taken before starting moving on that sol 3314 but now I realize it was a mid-drive imaging. All's clear.
Tesheiner
There was another drive today; four days in a row! Here's the updated map.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
We can see on the map that since arrival at Spirit point on sol 2681, the increased net distance from landing has been a mere +150m South in nearly a martian year! (636 sols instead of 686). We're about to improve this a lot in those 50 sols difference wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
dilo
I am so happy for this achievement, after months of (apparently) unuseful loops! wink.gif
Go Oppy! pancam.gif
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
And yet another update to the route map, adjusting several past positions (starting on sol 3315) and adding the missing ones up to thisol 3324.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
I was in a business travel the whole week and couldn't update the route map in the meantime. But now, here's a fresh one and updated up to sol 3330.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
I took some time to extend the map up to our expected destination Solander Point. Here is it, updated with the data from the latest drive on sol 3333 and correcting a few of the previous plots. From now I will usually post just a crop of it, including the whole picture just from time to time.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Today's drive was something like 35m SW. Here's a map update.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
A quick one for sol 3339.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Two additional sites, sol 3342 and 3344.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
... and on the final leg to Solander Point. Sol 3346.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Yet another update, and yet another km mark on the rear window.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.