Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Tesheiner
Yet another update; now after sol 2183.
About 400m to the twin craters.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2184.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2186.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2188. More or less 250m to the craters.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update for sol 2190.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Quick update after sol 2191. The 20km mark have been crossed!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2193. Almost there!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
35-40m/sol for the last 10 sols.
Tesheiner
Here's the map update for sol 2194.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2197. Now with the official name "San Antonio", although I still prefer "Twin Craters". smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
climber
We are ~150m from crossing the 12 kms in strait line from Eagle.
jamescanvin
Tosol is 2200 for Oppy and no drive is planned, so It's time to update my maps:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Steady progress smile.gif
vikingmars
blink.gif James : thanks for you map !
The view towards Endeavour from the rim of the "Mini-Victoria" crater (maybe to be reached aroud Sol 2800) should be absolutly breathtaking ! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
SFJCody
The official JPL map has been updated:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...nity/index.html
Tesheiner
... and I forgot to post mine. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's a preliminary update after sol 2206. The final position will probably change a bit once the images are available so I can register the correspondent mosaic to the map. As already noted by climber, we're approaching the 12km S (from Eagle) line.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2208.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dilo
In the last year, the effective shift was only 3.0Km. Assuming same average "straight" speed in the future (but going in the right WSW average direction) she will reach Santa Maria in Feb, 2012 and Endevour rim at the beginning of 2014...
Thanks Tesheiner for continuous update!
Tesheiner
Here's yet another update, after driving on sol 2213.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2215.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2218.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
... and the small bump on sol 2220.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Sol 2226.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's the current position, updated after sol 2228 drive.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
leFab
Hello

I'm n00b as a poster to this forum and I'm used to lurk it a lot, but today I've a question :
It's starting to be kinda frustating to see that the effective path seems to keep getting away from Endeavour. When Oppy left the Victoria crater, it was initially planned (or guessed) that she will directly head to Endeavour, but she went South-West... Today, after one year and a few kilometer, she must be at nearly the same distance from Endeavour that she was when she left Victoria. More than one year after exiting Victoria, and still no clue in the effective done-path that they really intend to make Endeavour a next target. So here's my question : I see that you planned a future path where the big turn will occur in the next few sols. This topic is great but many time in the past, I was disappointed after such path-guesses where the "big turn" was imminent. So is it a path you get from an official source or is it just something you "guessed" ? What is your source of information for the planned path ? And if you "guessed" it, which clues are you using ?

Thanks

P.S. : Sorry if there are some mistakes, I'm french biggrin.gif
dot.dk
The path ahead came from this document: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2010/pdf/2638.pdf

Discussed here: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=153775

Hope that helps smile.gif
leFab
Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was searching for !
Tesheiner
Latest 30m drive, during sol 2231.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Here's Opportunity's current position. Last drive was two days ago during sol 2234.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update corresponding to sol 2240.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Update after sol 2245.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gregsz55
At present Opportunity is outside of high resolution photos in Google Earth. Is it possible to download some photos covering this area and area to the East and South-East from present position?
ElkGroveDan
Greg see this post of Emily's from a couple months back
Tesheiner
Mmm, let's see if I'm able to add a sort of "pop-up window" to the GE map with this or a similar link...
Tesheiner
It's time for another map update; sol 2252.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ngunn
Thanks for the big picture. We've almost rounded your waypoint, like a sailboat at the start of a race rounds a buoy.
Tesheiner
Here's a map crop around sol 2254's position and the GE version too, as usual.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
alan
Here is a section of the road east to the 'pavement'
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Map update after sol 2256.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Robert S
[quote name='Tesheiner' post='160457' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:30 PM']Map update after sol 2256.

Once again, just wanted to thank you for your incredibly good work! Keeping my Google-app updated!
Much respect, and thank you!
Tesheiner
Here's a route map update, up to sol 2270.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ngunn
And with that one drive the distance to Endeavour shrank by 0.6 percent. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Here's a map crop and the corresponding GE version as of sol 2272. And check also the little star near the current position; the 21km mark was crossed close to the end of drive.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
A quick update corresponding to sol 2274, but still to be confirmed when the navcams are made available.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Robert S
Hello Tesheiner, thank you for your updates!

I want to ask a question.

Is it possible to get one update that ONLY covers the days from landing -> Victoria Crater?

Thank you in advance, and please ignore this if you don't have it or got time for it! smile.gif

Greets
ngunn
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=68584
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Robert S @ Jun 18 2010, 03:49 PM) *
Is it possible to get one update that ONLY covers the days from landing -> Victoria Crater?

No, for the time being. I started mapping Opportunity's trek a short time before reaching Erebus and that was on a different background picture until we reached VC. It would take a significant time to re-map those positions to my current baseline map. And the effort to plot the positions from Eagle to Erebus would be also big.

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 18 2010, 04:53 PM) *

Ahh, those good old times... :-)
Phil Stooke
"Is it possible... ?"

Robert, what you are looking for can be found here:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...tunity-all.html

Some of these maps are local, some cover the whole route. There will be others among the MER press release images if you explore.

Phil
MoreInput
QUOTE (Robert S @ Jun 18 2010, 03:49 PM) *

Hi Robert!
Some more infos about the traverse map:
- The whole traverse path in the analysts Notebook: Not up to date: http://an.rsl.wustl.edu/mer/merbrowser/bro...=map&m=MERB
- or use from google earth the mars view, there is also the traverse path from beginning (Menu point: Mars gallery Rovers and landers - opportunity - traverse path) (http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/02/google_earth_5_the_new_google_mars.html)

Bye,
Moreinput

Tesheiner
Here's another update, after sol 2276.
Have a look to the 100m grid; the thick vertical line near the right edge corresponds to the "0km" mark starting at Eagle.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.