Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Phil Stooke
It's the left edge. There are ChemCam RMI images of it as well. Looks like a tear.

Phil

Herobrine
Preview:
Click to view attachment
Full-size (4.4 MiB)

Dat shutter smear tho
algorithm
I have a sieve at home with an almost exact same issue, the sieve mesh has come away from the surrounding frame.

However, it still sieves flour just fine, and unless I decide to empty a whole pack of flour into it at once, I anticipate that it will continue to sieve flour for some time to come.

Having said that, my cakes don't suffer all that much from some lumpy flour getting int the mix, I suppose the problem for Curiosity instruments is somewhat more dire should larger grains ingress through the gap between sieve and frame.

Would that be a likely scenario? Who knows!?
Herobrine
Apparently, it's been that way since Sol 81 or earlier.
Here's a MASTCAM image that shows it on Sol 81.
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...1000E1_DXXX.jpg
Here's a small crop of that Sol 81 MASTCAM image.
Click to view attachment
And here's an old mention of it from October of 2012.
http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-...edge-welds.html
atomoid
little sol1132 pile before and after stamping (parellel stereo)
Click to view attachment
serpens
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 15 2015, 06:25 PM) *
...... Looks like a tear.

Are you sure that is not accumulated dust?
PaulH51
Sol 1133: R-MastCam 33 frames, 11x3 mosaic. Runs ~North-South at the side of the rover and appears to track the fracture, maybe Gallatin Pass?

Flickr Original Size 18723 x 3552 pixels LINK
Imgur LINK
Phil Stooke
Here is a plan of activities near Greenhorn over the last few sols, with north roughly at the top.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Mission Update - By Lauren Edgar - Sol 1135: Sniffing the Martian Air LINK
The Sol 1134 mini-start hole on “Pilgrim” went well, as seen in the above MAHLI image. Side note: if that doesn’t look like a hole to you, try rotating the image (the hole is illuminated from the lower left, but the human eye generally prefers to see sunlight coming from the upper half of the image).

Due to power restrictions, we’re waiting until the weekend plan to go for the full drill hole, but that means that today there’s time for a SAM atmospheric observation and a targeted science block. The goal of the SAM activity is to look for methane, one Mars year after the previous high detections. So we’ll let SAM take a big whiff to see if we can detect anything. I was on duty as GSTL today, and we filled the science block with several ChemCam and Mastcam observations. We’re trying to look for variations in silica associated with the fracture zone that we’re drilling. We also planned several Mastcam images to look for changes in fine-grained deposits to evaluate local winds. Despite our power restrictions, planning has been going very smoothly today, and we’re looking forward to more time for science this weekend!
elakdawalla
Yeah, it's not a tear on the sieve. The photos they did were intentionally taken in geometry to get a specular reflection off the sieve, but I forget who told me that or why they were doing it exactly :| But I think it's just part of them monitoring long-term wear.
PaulH51
Sols 1136-1138: Drilling at “Greenhorn”. Mission Update from Lauren Edgar LINK

Unfortunately the Sol 1135 bundles were not uplinked due to a DSN issue, so the activities that we planned yesterday never made it onboard. However, that meant that Curiosity spent the day resting and recharging in time for a lot of great science this weekend.
Today’s 3-sol plan will recover most of the activities that were planned for Sol 1135, in addition to the main activity of a full drill hole on the “Greenhorn” target. On the first sol, Curiosity will acquire several ChemCam and Mastcam observations on the targets “Nisku,” “Skull Creek,” “Hawk Creek,” and “Opeche,” to investigate the variability in silica associated with these fracture zones. We’ll also take several Mastcam images to look for changes in fine-grained deposits to evaluate local winds. Overnight, we’ll use MAHLI to image the CheMin inlet in preparation for drilling activities. On the second sol, we’ll go for the full drill hole on “Greenhorn,” followed by MAHLI imaging of the drill hole. The third sol consists of several environmental monitoring activities to assess the composition and opacity of the atmosphere. We’ll also squeeze in some Mastcam observations of the “Big Sky” dump pile and drill tailings using all of the camera filters. The only activity that we won’t have time for is the SAM atmospheric methane detection, but we’re hoping to get that sometime next week. I’ll be on duty again on Monday, so I’m looking forward to seeing the results from the latest drill hole!
PaulH51
Drilling the Mini-Start Hole at Pilgrim (Animation) - Sol 1134 R-HazCam (5 frames)
Small format preview (600x298)
Click to view attachment
Flickr (full size 1024 x 557 pixels) LINK
Imgur (full size 1024 x 557 pixels) LINK
Herobrine
Sol 1137 drilling
Tiny-crop version:
Click to view attachment
Larger Crop (2.1 MiB)
Full Size (17.2 MiB)
PaulH51
2 of the ChemCam targets from Sol 1136 identified on 2 overlapping R-MastCam images. Targets located close to the fault near to the right rear wheel of the rover (RMI's re-sized to 60%)
Click to view attachment
Flickr Large 1024 x 868 LINK
Flickr Original 2058 x 1744 LINK
Imgur LINK
PaulH51
Mission update from Lauren Edgar - Sol 1139: Another successful drill hole on Mars LINK
Over the weekend Curiosity drilled another hole on Mars at the “Greenhorn” target. Everything went smoothly and we have another beautiful sample to analyze! Today’s plan is focused on transferring the sample to CheMin, followed by CheMin analysis of the drill sample. I was on duty as GSTL today, and we also planned several ChemCam and Mastcam observations of the drill hole and surrounding rocks. First we’ll acquire a ChemCam passive observation of the drill tailings, and take a number of RMI images of the drill hole to help with ChemCam targeting of the drill hole tomorrow. Then we’ll acquire ChemCam LIBS on the targets “Gypsy,” “Tumbleweed,” and “Wrangle” to assess the variability of silica associated with these fracture zones. We’ll also take a small Mastcam mosaic to document the ChemCam targets and the local topography, and a Mastcam and Navcam photometry experiment to characterize differences in lighting over the same region at different times of day. In the afternoon, the “Greenhorn” drill sample will be transferred, sieved, and dropped off to CheMin, and the sample will be analyzed by CheMin overnight. It will be interesting to see how this sample compares to the “Big Sky” target!
algorithm
The proverbial 'Black Hole' (Of the Calcuttan variety) smile.gif

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Nice anaglyph and great animations guys.... smile.gif

Latest from USGS: Zapping the drill hole wall - Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff (Sol1140) LINK

The ChemCam RMI images of the drill hole planned yesterday were successfully acquired and received, and were used today to plan 2 parallel LIBS rasters down the hole. The additional LIBS raster should be useful in measuring variations in chemistry among individual sand grains and in detecting thin veins. ChemCam and Mastcam will also observe a target dubbed "Marshall" to see whether silica enrichment extends along other fractures near the rover. Finally the SAM methane experiment that was deferred due to an uplink problem last week is scheduled overnight between Sols 1140 and 1141. This experiment requires a significant amount of power, which will limit the activities that can be planned tomorrow.

EDIT
Greenhorn RMIs : Roughly stacked plus its 3D anaglyph, both created in Picolay

Flickr Original 2077 x 1117 LINK
Imgur Mirror : LINK
PaulH51
Dusty Rover... 9 Raw MAHLI's of the deck mounted UVS...

Flickr Original Size 4954 x 3970 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK
PaulH51
Recharging batteries: Mission Update: Sol 1141 From Ken Herkenhoff LINK
There was a problem processing the latest data from MSL at the Deep Space Network station that received it, but the data are now available and confirm that the Sol 1140 activities completed successfully. As expected, the batteries need to be recharged after the SAM methane experiment, so Sol 1141 activities are limited to a few remote sensing activities. ChemCam and Mastcam will observe the Greenhorn drill tailings and another bedrock target, called "Fort Conrad." Besides some recurring observations, that's it for the Sol 1141 plan! The rover's batteries should be nearly fully charged for Sol 1142 activities.
PaulH51
A still frame from an animated GIF using three RMI frames acquired on sols 1140 & 1141 (Before & After the LIBS rasters down the hole at Greenhorn)

Flickr Animation 1034 x 1089 pixels LINK
Imgur Animation LINK
neo56
My take on Curiosity self-portait of sol 1126 at Big Sky:

And with a sky added on Gimp :

neo56
Here is an animation showing how dust is accumulating on Curiosity between sol 84 (1st selfie) and sol 1126 (last selfie):

Click to view attachment

Animation available in higher resolution here.
PaulH51
Sol 1141 NavCam red/cyan anaglyph looking WNW into Cut Bank Valley
Click to view attachment
Flickr 980 x 1074 LINK
Imgur mirror LINK
eliBonora
Sol 1132 1133 anaglyph

and holes compilation!

sol 1140

sol 1142

algorithm
The pictures showing the latest efforts at 'The Martian Swiss Cheese Workshops' have arrived from Sol1142.

Click to view attachment

Slides and a Powerpoint presentation from all of the workshops will be given once the final workshop has taken place on the higher slopes of Mount Sharp. (Seats are limited) smile.gif
eliBonora
looking back
(Rear Hazcam in color sol 1143)

PaulH51
Another take on the L-MastCam mosaic with a few more images thrown in for good luck and an annotated inset thanks to Phil Stooke's earlier post.

Full size Flickr 8408 x 6929 LINK
Imgur mirror LINK
EDIT
Midnight Planets shows a drive of ~12.6m ENE on sol 1141, interesting direction smile.gif takes the rover back towards Birdger Basin, maybe a small diversion to find a friendlier path? Link : http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01144.html
Actionman
Sol 1134 & 1137
jvandriel
The Navcam L Panoramic View on Sol 1144.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Jan! Here it is in a circular view (it's rather distorted by the relief in the local outcrops).

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
End-of-drive L-MastCam mosaic sol 1144 looking back at Greenhorn and Big Sky. A taster for a full 360 L-MastCam pano

Flickr Original Size 5794 x 1434 pixels LINK
Imgur Mirror LINK
Mission Update from Ryan Anderson: Sol 1146-1147: A View of Meeteetse LINK
The weekend drive was successful, placing us nicely on an overlook of the “Meeteetse” area. The focus for Sol 1146 is to get some good color stereo images of the whole area, including “Big Sky,” “Greenhorn,” and “Meeteetse”. Mastcam will take a 16x3 mosaic of the Meeteetse area, plus a 12x1 right-eye mosaic of some nearby resistant ridges. It will also measure the amount of dust in the atmosphere by looking at the sun, and take a documentation image of the target “Belle Fourche” after ChemCam analyzes it. ChemCam also has a “passive sky” observation, where we use the ChemCam spectrometers to stare at the sky and measure the abundance of gases in the atmosphere.
On Sol 1147, the main activity is to deliver some of the material sampled at the “Greenhorn” drill hole to the SAM instrument, and then run a SAM evolved gas analysis and tunable laser spectrometer (EGA/TLS) experiment on the sample. This involves heating the sample gradually and measuring the gases that are produced as it breaks down.
PaulH51
Postcard from Mars... L-MastCam 1144 using some of the frames that will eventually make a stunning 360 pano

Flickr Original Size 10184 x 3542 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK
PaulH51
RMI Mosaic of 'Belle Fourche' sol 1146 location shown on 1144 NavCam mosaic crop.

Flickr Original Size 2219 x 1880 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK
jvandriel
The Mastcam L panoramic view on Sol 1144.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Oct 29 2015, 08:28 PM) *
The Mastcam L panoramic view on Sol 1144.

Great processing Jan smile.gif Here is my rough and ready take using MS ICE, some stitching errors (as usual) but a great view of the mountain and the crater. Looking forward to seeing some other takes here..

Flickr Original Size 30208 x 6961 pixels LINK
Imgur (down-sized during upload) LINK
Herobrine
NAVCAM travel animation for Sol 1144 is 28 frames.
Here's a small preview of the left NAVCAM's view:
Click to view attachment
And here is the full-size (512x256) stereo pair for Parallel and Cross-Eye viewing. Files sizes are 4.2 MiB each.
elakdawalla
With the drive on sol 1148, I've started a new thread. Onward to the dunes!

Anything up until the drive on sol 1148 (including the nice Mastcam stereo pan they took before the drive) should be here, anything after the sol 1148 drive over there.
neo56
My take on the 360° panorama at Meeteeste area with pics of sols 1144 & 1148:
neo56
I'd like to fill the black gap in my last panorama where there are no photo of the rover. Does anyone know a recent sol when Curiosity has fully imaged its deck ?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (neo56 @ Nov 1 2015, 03:39 AM) *
Does anyone know a recent sol when Curiosity has fully imaged its deck ?

This has never been done with Mastcam. sad.gif

I suppose in theory the gap could be filled with MAHLI self-portrait data, though that would be geometrically challenging.

I have the impression that occasionally Navcam is used to image the whole deck, but I don't have any tools that can conveniently figure out when this was done. I know it happened shortly after landing (see http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/mult...a/pia16063.html ) We have occasionally tried to get a hybrid Mastcam/Navcam pan into the plan, but without science justification this is a tough sell.
neo56
Thanks Mike. I'll try to fill the gap with NavCam pictures. Andrew Bodrov already succeeded in using that technic.

I'll use NavCam pics taken on sol 1144 plus NavCam pics taken on sol 2, which cover completely the dock. Work in progress!
mcaplinger
QUOTE (neo56 @ Nov 1 2015, 09:49 AM) *

We've never been sure how that was made. It didn't appear until after the first MAHLI self-portrait, I don't think, so my presumption was that it used that for deck coverage. But I've never attempted that approach myself. I spent a fair amount of time with Hugin trying to make self-portrait mosaics with some of the gaps filled in with Mastcam images and ran out of patience with the tools. So it may be a matter of better tools and/or more patience smile.gif
eliBonora
Some last mosaics

sol 1144

sol 1148 anagyph

sol 1144 sol 1148 horizon
elakdawalla
QUOTE (neo56 @ Nov 1 2015, 02:39 AM) *
I'd like to fill the black gap in my last panorama where there are no photo of the rover. Does anyone know a recent sol when Curiosity has fully imaged its deck ?

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2015, 07:42 AM) *
This has never been done with Mastcam. sad.gif

I suppose in theory the gap could be filled with MAHLI self-portrait data, though that would be geometrically challenging.

What Dr. Caplinger is not saying is that the Mastcam PI has forbidden the team from 'wasting' any more Mastcam pixels on the rover deck. Everyone on the mission who I have talked to about this except for the Mastcam PI agrees that it would be nice to have a Mastcam deck pan but that other battles are more important (and more winnable) than this one.

Indeed, it was MAHLI self-portrait data that Andrew Bodrov used for his panorama.
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2015, 07:42 AM) *
I have the impression that occasionally Navcam is used to image the whole deck, but I don't have any tools that can conveniently figure out when this was done. I know it happened shortly after landing (see http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/mult...a/pia16063.html ) We have occasionally tried to get a hybrid Mastcam/Navcam pan into the plan, but without science justification this is a tough sell.

I have a very partial list of Navcam deck pans (will eventually have a complete list for the sols covered by my book, in the book). They include sols 134, 168, and 375, but those were in earlier (less dusty) days. The sol 375 one is notable because it was on the same sol as a Mastcam 360. I know there has been one more recently, but haven't systematically worked through sols after 413.

mcaplinger
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 1 2015, 02:07 PM) *
Everyone on the mission who I have talked to about this except for the Mastcam PI agrees that it would be nice to have a Mastcam deck pan...

Maybe, but attempts to get simultaneous Navcam/Mastcam coverage for merging and colorization have not been successful because of lack of science justification, so far as I know due to objections from people other than the PI. We can agree it would be nice, but there are lots of times when nice isn't a good enough reason.

You can be sure that we'll continue to push for it. Another option is to shoot a MAHLI pan from a position somewhere over the rover deck, although this hasn't been looked at by the rover planners and there may be constraints I'm not aware of that preclude it.
elakdawalla
Going through the rover images, I found a section of the rover was imaged by Mastcam (accidentally? on purpose?) on sol 25 as part of a 360 1-tier panorama. It's not the whole rover by any means, but it's a start, including the Chemcam cal target, RTG, LGA, and most of the HGA. You can find PDS versions of the images here or here (you want the DRCL full frame images, which have an E in the third-to-last character; to convert them with IMG2PNG you also need to download labels).
mcaplinger
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 4 2015, 01:09 PM) *

Accidentally. We can command in many reference frames, both rover-relative and surface-relative, and if the rover orientation post-drive is not what we expected during planning, these sorts of things can happen. (Note that these images are focused on the stuff behind the rover, not on the rover itself.) There are some cases where the arm was imaged because it was in an unexpected pose, too.

I've tried to imagine a way in which the entire rover could be imaged by "accident" but I haven't come up with a plausible story. Yet. wink.gif
elakdawalla
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 4 2015, 02:12 PM) *
I've tried to imagine a way in which the entire rover could be imaged by "accident" but I haven't come up with a plausible story. Yet. wink.gif

Haha, I hope such an accident befalls you someday!
Sean
Here is a stitch from Sol 1087 MR...

Sean
Sol 1100 ML

Extended sky + minor foreground patches

...to the right of the image we see the climb toward Naukluft Plateau.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.