Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Dig
Left Navcam Sol 995

Click image for full resolution. Click here for VR Version (Google account required).

My Curiosity Pinterest Board . Flickr Gallery
jvandriel
and the complete Navcam L view on Sol 995.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
some stereo views at this juncture SOL995
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is a circular version of Jan's latest panorama. We'll probably be here for a while.

Phil

PaulH51
Sol 995 R-MastCam 3x3 mosaic, some nice exposed/extended mineral filled fractures in the exposed bedrock

EDIT :
added the sol 005 drive direction L-MastCam, but like Phil's stated earlier, we won't be leaving here any time soon smile.gif

Clicking the above images will open the applicable Flickr 'All Sizes' page.
both images enhanced
PaulH51
USGS Mission Update - Sol 997: Preparing for contact science, from Lauren Edgar
Today’s plan is focused on characterizing the contact in this new location, and then bumping even closer to the outcrop to prepare for contact science later this week...
neo56
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 25 2015, 04:48 PM) *
Here are circular views from the last two stops, from the Navcam pans posted above.

Thanks to the circular view you made with my sol 992 NavCam panorama, I noticed I forgot to add NavCam pictures of Mt Sharp and also some discontinuities in the stitching. I corrected that and improved the contrast of Gale crater wall in the horizon.

jvandriel
Nice overview.

The Navcam L view on Sol 997.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Zelenyikot
The "Sting" of Marias Pass smile.gif
PaulH51
USGS Mission Update - Sol 998: Contact Science at Marias Pass, from Lauren Edgar
...The goal of today’s plan is to characterize the Stimson unit. First, Curiosity will acquire ChemCam and Mastcam on part of the Stimson unit called “Ronan” (the large block in the top part of this Mastcam image) as well as a coarse-grained block named “Big_Arm.” Then we’ll acquire several MAHLI images on “Ronan.” Next, Curiosity will brush “Ronan” to remove the dust, and will then take MAHLI images of the brushed area to get a better look at the grain size and textures. And finally, we’ll place APXS on the target to investigate the bulk chemistry of “Ronan.” Tomorrow’s plan will likely include similar observations on the Pahrump unit...
PaulH51
Sol 997 : R-MastCam 3x3 of Ronan. Our first close look at part of the Stimson unit smile.gif

LINK to full size ((3806 x 3579 pixels)
PaulH51
Ronan, through the lens of the MAHLI on sol 998. Seeing some large grains smile.gif

LINK to full size 4425 x 1899 pixels
dvandorn
Looks like the upper overhanging ledge is a bed of conglomerate rock. Those "large grains" look like stream-rounded pebbles, and they are eroding out of the conglomerate matrix onto the thin ledge and onto the ground below. (We've seen several other examples of conglomerate rock here at Gale; specifically, while heading to Yellowknife Bay from Bradbury Landing.)

I'd say this suggests that the unit in question was deposited fluvially. It doesn't prove it, but it is suggestive.

-the other Doug
Phil Stooke
Hi Doug - the coarse grains are millimeter size, so it's really more like a sandstone in grain size terms. They do look rounded, but at such a small size that could include aeolian transport. Still, I think you are probably right.

Phil

Gladstoner
There could be lenses of conglomerate nearby.
Gerald
Scaling this Sol 998 MAHLI image of a brushed target by the motor count of 13984, I'm concluding clasts of larger than 1 mm diameter:
Click to view attachment
I'd see this as a strong hint towards a moderately energetic aquaeous environment, threshold velocity about 30 cm/s, considering lower gravity on Mars.
Other hints:
- Grain size distribution doesn't look as strictly bimodal as for aeolian deposits.
- The larger grains show variable roundness, presumed tektites in aeolian deposits use to be mostly well-rounded, almost spherical, diameter 0.6 mm (IIRC).
So if it's aeolian, it's rather different from "recent" aeolian deposits, like e.g. Rocknest.

The rock looks clearly reddish, an indication for relevant hematite abundance, i.e. strong oxidation (Fe3+) of at least the matrix.
PaulH51
USGS Mission Update - Sol 999: "Last MAHLI images before conjunction" by Ken Herkenhoff
Today is the last day we can plan MAHLI activities before the operational stand-down for solar conjunction, to ensure that we have time to confirm that MAHLI's dust cover is safely closed. So we worked to include as many MAHLI images as possible in the Sol 999 plan, making for a rather hectic day for me as MAHLI uplink lead. The plan includes a full set of MAHLI images of a potential DRT target called "Big Arm." The target dubbed "Wallace" was selected for brushing by the DRT, followed by a full set of MAHLI images of the brushed spot. The APXS will then be placed on Wallace for overnight integration. Mastcam multispectral observations of the brushed Ronan target and some rocks broken by one of the wheels (dubbed "Seeley") are also planned--we want to image them before any dust is deposited on those clean surfaces.
Julius
The pahrump unit is traversed by gypsum veins filling fracture lines in the rock. The rock unit above it is distinctively layered and somewhat made up of coarser grains. It lacks such veins which are present in the pahrump unit. huh.gif
PaulH51
USGS Mission update - Sol 1000-1002: Photometry, by Ken Herkenhoff
We're planning 3 sols of MSL activities today, starting with Sol 1000! As we continue to prepare for solar conjunction, arm motion is allowed in this plan, but no contact science...
PaulH51
Simple right mast camera animation of the 'DRT check-out' during sol 999
LINK : Flickr Animation 787 x 816 pixels
Alternate link : Imgur Animation 787 x 816 pixels
PaulH51
Clocked up a thousand sols... Here is to the next thousand smile.gif

To some these engineering images from the rovers hazard avoidance cameras (HazCam's) may not appear very interesting, but they record a milestone of a thousand martian days that the rover has been on the 4th rock from our sun. Since landing the rover has returned more than 245 thousand images. In addition to those images, the rover's instruments have returned scientific data that will keep scientists busy for decades to come. Look closely at these HazCam images and you will see rover tracks acquired by just one of the rovers 4 rear pointing HazCam's, these are looking north over the crater floor and beyond to the distant walls of Gale crater. The other image records the view to the South and the Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer (APXS) carefully acquiring elemental mineralogical data from an outcrop at the upper limit of the Pahrump unit, above which lies layers of mainly unexplored history recorded in the Stimson unit... I hope I can be here to enjoy the next 1000 sols with you all smile.gif
algorithm
Mahli anaglyph from images of 'Big Arm' Sol999,

Two images were stretched to form a sort of synthetic left/right eye perspective and it seems to have given at least some depth of field, other adjustments made to try and highlight the different materials, and make up of this rock.

Click to view attachment
Julius
It's a conglomerate!
algorithm
You seem pleased!
algorithm
A wider view

Click to view attachment
algorithm
Rock comes in all shapes. sizes, and chemical makeup.

Click to view attachment
dvandorn
QUOTE (Julius @ May 31 2015, 01:20 PM) *
It's a conglomerate!

Exactly what I said. I'm pretty sure we're right, Julius.

-the other Doug
algorithm
Of course it's a conglomerate rock!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=conglomer...HHOuy7Qb4sYPIDA
Julius
QUOTE (algorithm @ May 31 2015, 08:42 PM) *
You seem pleased!

Pleased because that means a longer water story for Mars.
serpens
Actually given the small clast size I would have thought a poorly sorted sandstone with well rounded grains. I actually wonder of this could be reworked sedimentary material - a debris flow from the erosion of the sedimentary, lower levels of Mount Sharp.
algorithm
'Julius' I wish I knew enough to be pleased when I saw something which would indicate that. smile.gif
algorithm
NavCam anaglypgh from Sol 1001, really shows the difference between the different rock types.

Be sure to zoom in nice and close in the midground to catch all the alien artefacts left strewn on the ground! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Lovely anaglyph algorithm smile.gif

USGA Mission Update - Sols 1003-1004: Last tactical planning before solar conjunction, by Ken Herkenhoff
Extract...
Today is the last day of MSL tactical operations until after solar conjunction, so this will probably be the last MSL update for a few weeks. Ryan Anderson and I are both on shift as payload uplink lead today, but because the instruments we're representing (ChemCam and MAHLI/MARDI, respectively) are already standing down in preparation for conjunction, our efforts have been focused on planning for the resumption of activities after conjunction. We don't know precisely when tactical planning will resume, as the ability to communicate with spacecraft as Mars passes behind the Sun depends on variable solar activity. The expectation is that the next tactical planning day will be June 25th (Sol 1026), but the schedule probably won't firm up until that week...
jccwrt
That conglomerate bed is pretty interesting. Judging by how poorly sorted the grains are in it I can't really see the Washboard formation being anything but fluvially deposited. I'm interested in how the MSL team will reconcile that with the more soil-like composition of the unit.

I've also updated my annotated image of Grey Wolf Peak based on closer looks at the contact in the Mt. Shields region. I hope we'll get an image of the backside of Grey Wolf Peak at some point in the future, the topography back there looks interesting. At a glance it looks to me like a bit of minor faulting has taken place, and that might explain the slight folding of the Washboard unit that I highlighted in the panoramic image. I doubt backtracking that far will be in the game plan after conjunction, though, that's quite a way to backtrack.
serpens
Well rounded small grains implies transportation over a reasonable distance and time span, almost certainly in a reasonably high energy, fluvial environment. However the poorly sorted grains imply an intermittent energy source that resulted in dumping of sediment rather than diminishing fluvial energy which would tend to graded bedding. While impact surge can result in some rounding of larger rocks combined with poor sorting, angular clasts would also be expected, so impact can pretty much be ruled out. The simplest explanation would seem to be reworking of a previous fluvial/lacustrine deposit, with grains jumbled in a mass wasting event.
Arizona Dave
QUOTE (algorithm @ Jun 1 2015, 01:08 PM) *
NavCam anaglypgh from Sol 1001, really shows the difference between the different rock types.

Be sure to zoom in nice and close in the midground to catch all the alien artefacts left strewn on the ground! laugh.gif

Those were my potato chips left-over after a snack - LOL :-) Nice anaglypgh though.

Some of the nodules look semi-translucent which is funny - Opportunity has sent back several microscope images showing what looks to be nearly transparent little nodes in some VERY interesting rocks. Other images show "fuzz" and long stringy dust particles when they look closer at the crunchy stuff they stumbled across. Very interesting!

On this stuff, Im siding on the Fluvial theory.
jvandriel
145 images, Debayered and stitched and resized.

The Mastcam R view on Sol 993.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jccwrt
I assumed that with solar conjunction starting today that we were stuck with what was down already by late last night, but I guess that Curiosity got a few more images down before disappearing behind the Sun! EDIT: Full panorama is now stitched together.

Full size here

Debayered in gmic, assembled and stitched in Photoshop. I adjusted the color channels a bit, reducing the brightness of green by 5, and increasing the brightness of red by 5 and blue by 2. This seems to match the color of official releases pretty closely, at least on my home monitor (which should be properly calibrated), but doesn't seem to be reproducing well on other monitors. Once the green was darkened a bit, I used the "replace color" tool in Photoshop. I selected a couple of different green patches with a fuzziness of 35, then replaced it with a similar color with the red color values boosted by 20. This was entirely subjective, but it looked like it matched the surrounding rock hues pretty well.

Also a bit more evidence that the Washboard was fluvially deposited. Load casts!

Click to view attachment

These look like they're resting directly on Murray formation, so they could be remnants of the very basal layer of the Washboard. I think they'd have to be resting on mud for that to happen, since dry clay would be too hard to deform plastically like that.

Also here's a comparison shot between some fluvially-deposited sandstone here in Illinois and one of the sandstone beds in the Washboard. Admittedly, my knowledge of eolian cross-bedding isn't very good, I've only seen it in person a couple of times, but it seems to me like the scale of the cross-bedding is a lot bigger. What we're seeing on Mars seems more in line with a fluvial setting.

Full size here

Perhaps the Washboard is a subaerially-exposed alluvial fan?
dburt
QUOTE (serpens @ Jun 2 2015, 05:55 PM) *
...However the poorly sorted grains imply an intermittent energy source that resulted in dumping of sediment rather than diminishing fluvial energy which would tend to graded bedding. While impact surge can result in some rounding of larger rocks combined with poor sorting, angular clasts would also be expected, so impact can pretty much be ruled out. The simplest explanation would seem to be reworking of a previous fluvial/lacustrine deposit, with grains jumbled in a mass wasting event.

For my own information, on what well-documented example or model of a highly distal or far-travelled impact surge deposit ponded at the bottom of a deep crater on Mars is this assertion regarding the necessity for angular grains based? Note: Turbulent density current flow is also a type of mass wasting event that involves reworking of older deposits.
Don Burt
dburt
QUOTE (jccwrt @ Jun 3 2015, 04:42 PM) *
...Also a bit more evidence that the Washboard was fluvially deposited. Load casts!
...Also here's a comparison shot between some fluvially-deposited sandstone here in Illinois and one of the sandstone beds in the Washboard. Admittedly, my knowledge of eolian cross-bedding isn't very good, I've only seen it in person a couple of times, but it seems to me like the scale of the cross-bedding is a lot bigger. What we're seeing on Mars seems more in line with a fluvial setting...

Your "load casts" don't look much like terrestrial load casts I've seen (more like some sort of shrinkage structure) and your cross-bedded fluvial sandstone in Illinois is well ordered, with an easily visible, consistent flow direction, whereas the Mars example is more chaotic, with shallower cross beds. It resembles cross-bedding seen by the two previous rovers all over Meridiani (where it was eventually called aeolian) and at Home Plate in Gusev (where it was eventually called volcanic). No actual load casts (caused by compressional dewatering of wet sediments) appear to have been imaged anywhere on Mars. Does anyone know of examples? Thanks.

Don Burt
serpens
QUOTE (dburt @ Jun 4 2015, 01:37 AM) *
For my own information, on what well-documented example or model of a highly distal or far-travelled impact surge deposit ponded at the bottom of a deep crater on Mars is this assertion regarding the necessity for angular grains based?

As you well know there has been no investigation of surge deposits on Mars to date...with or without crater ponding, so I accept that your requirement was probably mischievous and tongue in cheek - good one. There are some well documented investigations of far travelled impact surge/ejecta on Earth. For example E-Wallace et al. Sedimentology of the Neoproterozoic Acraman impact-ejecta horizon, South Australia. AGSO Journal of Australian Geology & Geophysics, 16 (4), 443-45I. In addition of course are your own papers on impacts and volcanic surge and potential misidentification as aeolian/fluvial deposits. I would in fact draw your attention to your 1982, "Spor Mountain paper" where you quote "'Why, those are surge deposits!' His criteria were the coarse angular clasts, the lack of sorting, the laminar bedding and cross bedding, bomb sags...". From my reading the general outcome of impact surge seems to be near field angular clasts poorly sorted and distal area, graded bedding. The poorly sorted but well rounded sandstone deposit does significantly reduce the probability of a fluvial/lacustrine deposit but there are a number of possibilities in play and the composition of the deposit will be interesting. But I will stick with a reworked fluvial/lacustrine deposit with surge possible but improbable.
vikingmars
Some images from Sol 1003 were received yesterday !
Here are some of them mosaicked into a nice perspective... Enjoy smile.gif
Click to view attachment
vikingmars
...and a more detailed view, even more enjoyable smile.gif
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Remote Micro Imager Mosaic featuring "Piegan" and "Wallace". The first issued images that were acquired after conjunction (Sol 1027. Jun 27. 2015) roughly stitched.

Flickr Image
kenny
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Jun 28 2015, 09:30 AM) *
...and a more detailed view, even more enjoyable smile.gif

Fabulous view... and now we really have the impression of looking up Mount Sharp from the base, rather than the more distant profile views of the hillside we
had after landing.
PaulH51
MAHLI mosaic of the soil and ground in front of the rover (sol 1028)
neo56
Here is my take on the MC100 mosaic of sol 1003. What a nice view!

rtphokie
QUOTE (neo56 @ Jun 29 2015, 04:10 AM) *
Here is my take on the MC100 mosaic of sol 1003. What a nice view!

Shared this view (with attribution of course) with a group of pre-schoolers in North Carolina this morning at a talk I gave at my local library. We talked a bit about the layering in the rocks and what we can guess about the atmosphere from this image.

Nice work!
neo56
QUOTE (rtphokie @ Jun 29 2015, 02:29 PM) *
Shared this view (with attribution of course) with a group of pre-schoolers in North Carolina this morning at a talk I gave at my local library. We talked a bit about the layering in the rocks and what we can guess about the atmosphere from this image.

Nice work!

Thanks wink.gif I really appreciate when my work is used for teaching and outreach purpose. Your young students imagined being on Mars for a morning rolleyes.gif
atomoid
..and the requisite anaglyph of that beautiful sol1003 foothills view, which from this far still looks like an old spaghetti western painted background, will have to dig up a wide-baseline for that once we reach a hopefully unobstructed view. Also, some frames of the sol1028 MAHLI mosaic happen to be conducive to stereo.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.