Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Ant103
Sol 958 Navcam pan :
algorithm
From Sol960,

A NavCam anaglyph

Click to view attachment

algorithm
And a HazCam one. (Slightly tortured)

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
18 frames (complete?) version of the pre-drive right mast camera panorama looking WSW (some colour correction applied)
atomoid
washed-out Mt. Sharp mini-pano sol960
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Sol 960 Drive direction left mast camera mosaic. Maybe considering going north of the butte and then dropping south into the pass to avoid driving through the sand on the south side of the butte? See Phil's latest map smile.gif
vikingmars
In this very interesting image, taken Sol 958, you can see two different sediments : a light-colored one (the most usual on which we roved for many Sols) and a dark-colored one, which seems to be fine-powdered (center) : maybe a preview of the dark-colored dunes to be seen later on the mission... Enjoy ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L Panoramic view on Sol 960.

Jan van Driel

Edit. (Added 1 image)

Click to view attachment
Dig
Left Navcam Sol 960 Full Resolution.

Click image for full resolution.

My Curiosity Pinterest Board
Arizona Dave
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Apr 21 2015, 01:07 AM) *
In this very interesting image, taken Sol 958, you can see two different sediments : a light-colored one (the most usual on which we roved for many Sols) and a dark-colored one, which seems to be fine-powdered (center) : maybe a preview of the dark-colored dunes to be seen later on the mission... Enjoy ! smile.gif

Ive been noticing a lot of the wide-variations in sand as well...some of the sand appears extremely bright. I wonder if part of this is due to longer-wavelength infrared being allowed to be filtered through?
atomoid
it looks like this image was relatively overexposed in the Left pancam, is more equalized in the Right frame, nonetheless its bright enough to consider possibly sourced from erosion of (thanks Gerald) MgO=5.8% CaO=56.3% veins. dark sand ive always assumed basaltic but never read up on it.. (the stereo of this wasn't very satisfying so here just posting the R pano).
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another 4 sets of wheel check MAHLI images during sol 962
Animations of just one wheel (reduced to 1024 x 777) : Reddit Animation or Flickr Animation All Images Midnight Planets sol 962
PaulH51
USGS Curiosity Mission Update from Lauren Edgar "Sol 963: Making a run for it" checking out "Logan's Run"
Phil Stooke
This is a circular view of Dig's sol 960 panorama. I was pretty far off with my last map, as I mistook one or two nearby features for others. I will fix the map after the next drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Mars Orbiter Sees Curiosity Rover in 'Artist's Drive' during sol 949 Photojournal page (PIA19392) - Full Res Image (annotated) - Unannotated Image
PaulH51
Simple merge/stack focus and red/cyan anaglyph using just 9 frames of the ChemCam-RMI target dubbed "Apple" acquired during Sol 963

Click image or this LINK
Arizona Dave
QUOTE (atomoid @ Apr 21 2015, 02:46 PM) *
it looks like this image[/url] was relatively overexposed in the Left pancam, is more equalized in the Right frame, nonetheless its bright enough to consider possibly sourced from erosion of (thanks Gerald) MgO=5.8% CaO=56.3% veins. dark sand ive always assumed basaltic but never read up on it.. (the stereo of this wasn't very satisfying so here just posting the R pano).

Do you know where the "Apple" is in relation to this pan? (Nice pano btw!, overexposed or not, it shows a LOT of different composition materials)

ADMIN: About 100 metres away in the opposite direction. Refer to the Drive Map.

PaulH51
USGS Curiosity Mission Update : Sols 964-965: Logan’s Run? Or just a short dash, from Lauren Edgar
...Although we had planned a drive of up to 48 m towards “Logan’s Run” on Sol 963, the drive ended early after only 17 m due to the detection of a nearby hazard...
Edit : I guess we can now refer to sol 963 as "A Bad Day at Black Rock" (I guess only the older members will understand the attempted pun)
Joe's drivelog has already been updated, but the map appears to contain a small offset to the south.

Very roughly stitched sol 963 post-drive left NavCam pano. The other available frames were giving huge stitching errors, so I omitted them.

Link to Flickr preview page
jvandriel
The complete Navcam NL B Panoramic view taken on Sol 963.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Very nice, Jan - here's a circular version of it.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Zelenyikot
MAHLI at Sols 960, 963.
algorithm
Sol963 MC100 pan with added saturation.

Click to view attachment
charborob
Wow! A new driving distance record biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
One of the post-drive L-MastCam mosaics from sol 963, this one looking south toward the entrance to Logan Pass (contrast stretched)
PaulH51
Lengthening Shadows - One hour before sunset on sol 964. Contrast stretched.

Dig
Left Navcam Sol 964 Full Resolution.

Click image for full resolution.

My Curiosity Pinterest Board
Phil Stooke
A very nice view! This is a circular version of it. You can see the big crater to the northwest - in HiRISE it shows up with dark drifts on its floor. Here we just see the northern and southern ridges which define it.

Phil

Click to view attachment
neo56
My take on MC34 panorama of sol 963. According to Phil's map, West Ridge is on the right and Logan Pass is between West Ridge and the background ridge.
Gerald
Sol 964 MastCam Right thumbnails, Target "Blackrock", which stopped the Sol 963 drive:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Quick-and-dirty version of the Sol 964 post-drive Left Mastcam 5-image mosaic:
Phil Stooke
"According to Phil's map"

Yes... but unfortunately I don't know where that ridge actually is. I am waiting for a map with some names, or or other confrmation, to locate that and several other names.

Phil

jvandriel
The last Mastcam L images of Sol 938 are down, debayered and stitched.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
neo56
My take on MC34 and MC100 mosaic of Logan's Run on sol 964. High difference of luminosity between individual pictures made difficult to obtain homogeneous mosaics.

MC100 mosaic in high resolution here
jvandriel
All the MASTcam L images of Sol 964 stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jmknapp
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Apr 22 2015, 10:52 PM) *
Joe's drivelog has already been updated, but the map appears to contain a small offset to the south.

I adjusted the current position to match Phil's latest--moved about 12 meters to the northeast.
jvandriel
Enjoy.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
neo56
My take on the lovely view of sol 952:
Phil Stooke
Stunning!

Phil

vikingmars
Thanks Neo56... You win ! I was to post it too ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Sol 967 Right NavCam half-pan:
antipode
Wow. What an amazingly photogenic area. And Oppy is in one too. A real feast for the Mars-scape aesthetes out there ATM.

P
marsophile
The sand (or dust) "sea" looks a bit "choppy" there.
charborob
The view on sol 952 with the right mastcam:
Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 966 left mascam view:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Sol 967 NRB update:
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Gerald - here is a circular reprojection of it. Presumably these outcrops in front of us are Logan's Run... I confess I can't quite see what is so special about the area, but what do I know?

Phil

Click to view attachment
Gerald
From the press release:
At Logan Pass, we hope to investigate the relationship between the Murray formation and the Washboard unit, to help us understand the ancient depositional setting and how environmental conditions were changing. ... The ability to get to different sections of the rock record builds more confidence in your interpretation of each section.

The unit characterized by a sequence of almost parallel small valleys and hills seems to be called 'Washboard unit'.
Between the lines I'm reading, that besides Logan Pass, also Logan's Run may be considered a candidate either as a contact/transition zone to the Washbord unit, or as an outcrop revealing the structure and composition of the Washboard unit. Investigating two similar sites improves the confidence in possible results (regarding the Washbord unit and its distinction).
Phil Stooke
I get that... but why divert to Logan's Run rather than go straight to Logan Pass? It looks like it exposes less rather than more.

Phil
elakdawalla
Just a wild guess: maybe they judged an outcrop to be more likely to be reachable by in-situ instruments?
atomoid
Heres a crosseye for a section of those great sol952 pancam views. and a fun section of the recent sol828 downlinks as well
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
(if too wide, open in SPM StereoPhotoMaker from IE context menu for easy pan/zoom)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.