Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
atomoid
just turned out to be nice old images of the channel from sol957 reinterpreted as new by MP.. anaglyph fwiw, back to Pluto..
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L Panoramic view on Sol 1044.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Latest view of Pluto:

Click to view attachment

(the only way to get eyes on Mars these days)

Actually, Jan's pan in circular format. You can see how we are edging around the drifts.

Phil

atomoid
more interesting erosion this little section sol1044
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
57 of the 70 R-MastCam frames from sol 1044

Original size: LINK
PaulH51
Finally, the complete Sol 1033 R-MastCam mosaic of Apikuni Mountain

Original size 13199 x 6123 pixels LINK
Edit
The planned 5 sets of Wheel-Check MAHLI's, sol 1046

Original size 8250 x 5116 pixels LINK
jvandriel
Part of Sol 1044 Navcam panorama. Just for the Craterrim.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Mt Shields : All 70 frames, sol 1044 R-MastCam

Original size 11057 x 7376 pixels LINK
algorithm
Partial NavCam pan/anaglyph from sol1046

Click to view attachment
algorithm

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The complete Mastcam L overview taken on Sol 993.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
L-MastCam, sol 1047

Original Size 12459 x 2855 pixels LINK

"Mustang" on sol 1044

Original Size 2132 x 2355 pixels LINK
eliBonora
wheels check sol 1046

and a mosaic MastCam right sol 1044

Phil Stooke
Sol 1049. We have moved back to, roughly, the sol 991 position. The planned drill site is just a few meters east or northeast of here.

Phil

jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1049.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jul 20 2015, 09:14 PM) *
The Navcam L view on Sol 1049.
Jan van Driel

Nicely stitched Jan smile.gif. MS ICE did not cope well with the end of drive 'roll' (+15° according to Joe's page)... Maybe they need a bump to get in range of the light toned outcrop and on more level ground for any drilling?
Phil Stooke
This is the middle bit of a circular view of Jan's nice new panorama, to show where the rover is now. This is a bit to the south of the 922 and 1035 position, quite a bit further south than I suggested earlier. I am preparing a new map base so it will be a day or two before I update the map. We still have to get around the gravelly ridge to the east of our new position. That probably means moving north, east and south again into a small trough parallel to the entrance to Marias Pass which we used on sol 991. But there is a significant northward slope, so it could be tricky.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nogal
I thought I had correctly identified the new drilling target outcrop based on Jan's Sol 991 panorama of Navcam L images and the bright outcrop image mentioned in "Mission Updates" for Sols 1048-1050:

Click to view attachment
I was expecting Curiosity to retrace its route to halfway between Sols 990 and Sol 991 locations and then turn a bit to the east and climb in a more southerly direction, so I am a bit surprised by the chosen route. But, of course, where I can only guess, the rover drivers KNOW.
Fernando
PaulH51
We now have a better idea where the possible test drill site may be with the end of drive L-MastCam images.

Original Size 3379 x 2412 pixels LINK
algorithm
A Mastcam pan, Sol 1049, pick a layer..any layer laugh.gif

A closer view of the top right portion of Pauls' pan I believe.

Click to view attachment
atomoid
some nice formations (that ms ICE can handle) for sol1049 anglyph
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
While i'm preparing a new base map, here is the latest JPL map for sol 1049. The perils of automated label placement!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/imgs/2015/07/...ol1049-full.jpg

Phil
PaulH51
QUOTE (atomoid @ Jul 22 2015, 04:40 AM) *
some nice formations (that ms ICE can handle)
That really pops smile.gif

Here is the full size R-MastCam mosaic, all 27 images

Original Size 12080 x 3179 pixels LINK
EDIT: link repaired.
PaulH51
What appears to be a good drive on sol 1051 to inspect the light toned outcrop, hopefully the rover will be on good ground and we can drill in a couple of days
360 L-NavCam (roughly stitched)

Original size (8192 x 1973 pixels) LINK
algorithm
A closer view of the same outcrop from NavCam subframe images.

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Here is my Sol 1051 Navcam L view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Curiosity Rover Mission Update:
Sols 1051-1054: Approaching "Lion" by Ken Herkenhoff LINK

After driving just over 20 meters, the rover stopped 4.4 meters short of the Sol 1049 drive goal because the vehicle pitch exceeded the 15-degree limit set by the rover drivers. So another 6.4-meter drive toward the bright outcrop of interest, dubbed "Lion," was planned for Sol 1051. That drive completed successfully, providing a good view of the outcrop. ChemCam and Mastcam observed the sand ripple "Agency" and bedrock target "Mullan" before the Sol 1051 drive. Now that the Lion outcrop is within LIBS range, ChemCam and Mastcam observations of it are planned for Sol 1053, specifically targets named "Sorrel Springs" and "Buckskin." A nearby rock called "Hewolf" will also be observed before the rover drives closer to the Lion outcrop. Hopefully the rover will be in position for contact science on the outcrop this weekend. The Sol 1054 plan is much less complex, with a Navcam search for clouds above the rover and ChemCam calibration activities. The vehicle should be recharged and ready for a busy weekend plan!
Phil Stooke
And here we are sitting near Lion. Jan's pan in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
A closer look at the approach to "Lion" Sol 1051 L-MastCam (11 frames)

Original size 5188 x 2650 pixels LINK
PaulH51
Left Mast camera, Sol 1047 and 1049, 49 frames roughly stitched with MS ICE. Lots of history in these layers smile.gif

Original Size 12838 x 3510 pixels LINK
eliBonora
A large mosaic of sol 1049

and anaglyph

PaulH51
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Jul 24 2015, 11:46 AM) *
.....and anaglyph

Some real 'poppers' on that anaglyph smile.gif
MizarKey
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Jul 23 2015, 07:46 PM) *
and anaglyph

Really beautiful work. I love this forum.
Eric
climber
We are getting ready for another drill: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4668
Did they name that rock after you, Dan?
PaulH51
Quick & Dirty, partial end-of-drive pano, sol 1053 (L-NavCam)

Original Size 5132 x 1984 pixels LINK
jvandriel
Navcam NL B view on Sol 1053

Jan van Driel.

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update, from Ryan Anderson:
Sol 1055-1056: Closing in on High-Silica Targets LINK to full update
The main priority in today’s plan is to nudge the rover a bit closer to the target “Buckskin”, which is in the area where we have discovered rocks high in silica and hydrogen....
PaulH51
Over 45 hours since we had any new images from Curiosity, but Joe's drive page has just reported sol 1056 (today's) planned bump. So I suspect it just needs a soft boot aimed at the JPL image server, so we can all catch up on events on Mars... If any one here has an inside contact at JPL, maybe they can tell them that some of us are beginning to develop MSL withdrawal systems smile.gif TIA
neo56
I realized I didn't post the mosaic I made with MC34 of sols 1047 and 1049. So here it is. Plus a postcard version with a sky.

algorithm
Some NLB sky observations on Sol 1054

Click to view attachment
algorithm
A different version which (might) show some cloud/haze movement rather than perhaps lense flare? Hard to tell really. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam NL B panoramic view on Sol 1056.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Simple animation using L-HazCam images from sol 1057 showing arm deployment. Edit : added DRT check out animation from the same sol, looks to be wearing well smile.gif 2nd Edit MAHLI Anaglyph added, also same sol

Arm Animation LINK
DRT Animation LINK
MAHLI LINK
algorithm
A synthetic anaglyph of the latest drill site Sol 1059

(I think it works to give more depth) smile.gif

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (algorithm @ Jul 31 2015, 03:29 AM) *
(I think it works to give more depth) smile.gif

Great Anaglyph, I like the added depth smile.gif Plus the team are happy with the "mini start hole" and they have given the 'GO' for for the FULL drill hole.

Curiosity Mission Update from Lauren Edgar: Sol 1060: GO for drilling! LINK
PaulH51
'Buckskin': Before & After cleaning (reduced size animation) Edit : Added R-MastCam mosaic from 1056 and 57.
Click to view attachment

Animation Buckskin 800 x 622 pixels LINK
R-MastCam Mosaic 8157 x 6022 LINK
PaulH51
We have a full depth hole at Buckskin...

Curiosity Mission Update, from Ken Herkenhoff:
Sols 1061-1063: Sample drop-off to CheMin. Link to update
Click to view attachment
eliBonora
A stereo view of the Curiosity's hole

algorithm
I had a go at an anaglyph of the drill hole Sol 1060, trying to bring out some of the details from the interior. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Really enjoyed the colour anaglyphs of Buckskin smile.gif

So here is another anaglyph & Z-Stack, this time using the 1061 ChemCam-RMI's. Created in Picolay

Clicking the preview will open the 1024 version in Flickr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.