Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Phil Stooke
The pre-load tests leave small marks on the surface where the posts flanking the drill press into the rock. Here are the locations of those marks relative to the DRT.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jccwrt
Some bayered MastCam frames that came down last night from Sol 1115. Might be part of a larger mosaic that also came down, although there seemed to be a frame that linked these with the rest of the panorama missing. I need to check on that.

I love these shots. There's some interesting regularly-spaced bedding on the right side of the image. I'm wondering if those might be the results of climate cycles or something.

The Slopes of Mt. Sharp - Sol 1115 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr\

Imgur link
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 30 2015, 04:59 AM) *
The pre-load tests leave small marks on the surface where the posts flanking the drill press into the rock. Here are the locations of those marks relative to the DRT.

Nice spot Phil.
Here is the 'mini-start-hole' at Big Sky: Context mosaic using R-MastCam images from sols 1112 and 1116, roughly stitched in MS ICE

Original (3392 x 3338) LINK
PaulH51
Sol 1118 Montage of Chemistry Camera Targets - “Beaverhead”, “Birdbear” and “Buffalo Flat”

Flickr Original (3712 x 2686) LINK
Imgur LINK
algorithm
The mini drill hole as an anaglyph.

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (algorithm @ Oct 1 2015, 01:41 AM) *
The mini drill hole as an anaglyph.

Great 3D image.... smile.gif
This time the full depth hole: Sol 1120: ChemCam-RMI - Focus Stack and a 3D (red/cyan) Anaglyph of Big Sky (using 12 selected images processed in Picolay)

Flickr Original (2061 x 1072) LINK
Imgur Image LINK
monty python
Well I know they were looking for a unaltered sample of bedrock - this at least looks uniform.
atomoid
apparently a bunch of previously undownlinked images from sol1000 came down a few days ago of that ancient conglomerate boneyard site, sporting remains of all manner, I think i see a femur for sale, oops, did somebody drop their credit card..?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update from Ryan Anderson: Sol 1121-1122: Successful Drill at Big Sky LINK
Success! Our drill at “Big Sky” went perfectly! On Sol 1121, the rover will transfer some of the powder from Big Sky to CheMin so that it can begin analyzing the mineralogy of the sample. Also on Sol 1121, ChemCam has an observation of the target “Minnekahta”. Mastcam will document the ChemCam location and also take a picture of the location on the ground where Big Sky material will be dumped. On Sol 1122, ChemCam has observations of targets “Kippen,” “Kalispell,” and “Big Snowies.” Mastcam will document these targets and take a 4x1 mosaic of the lower portion of Mt. Sharp. Navcam will be used to take a movie about the northern rim of Gale crater to search for any clouds.
PaulH51
"Curiosity's Drill Hole and Location are Picture Perfect"
Click to view attachment
As much as I enjoy white balanced images, I think I would have enjoyed an option from JPL to DL this in true colour
JPL News Release LINK
Postcard from the above release LINK
PaulH51
Sol 119 R-MastCams: Curiosity's drill is still in great shape after completing the full depth hole 'Big Sky' and the adjacent 'mini-start-hole'
Click to view attachment
Flickr Original Size 2700 x 1268 LINK
Imgur: LINK
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update by Ken Herkenhoff: Sols 1123-1125: Drill hole and tailings LINK

The weekend plan includes lots of arm activities and science. First, on Sol 1123, ChemCam and Mastcam will observe the drill hole and tailings, plus targets named "Frontier," "Floweree," "Bozeman," and "Billings." Then the portion of the sample that has not been sieved will be dumped on the ground and examined by Mastcam. After dusk, MAHLI will use its LEDs to look inside of the drill hole and image the drill tailings and CheMin inlet, then APXS will be placed over the tailings for an overnight measurement. Late in the afternoon of Sol 1124, MAHLI will image the pre-sieve dump pile and APXS placed over it for another overnight integration.

A SAM atmospheric methane measurement was added early on Sol 1125 because Mars is expected to encounter some cometary debris, a possible source of the elevated methane concentration that has occasionally been observed. After all those activities, the rover will sleep through most of Sol 1125 to recharge its batteries in preparation for Sol 1126.
eliBonora
Sol 1117 anaglyph
nprev
Beautiful, Eli!

Love the nomenclature for this area. If there's a particularly mineral-rich location found, odds are it'll be called "Butte". wink.gif
PaulH51
Animation: Vibrating the powdered rock sample from 'Big Sky' inside the rovers scoop, L-MastCam Sol 1121:
Click to view attachment
Flickr LINK
Imgur LINK
elakdawalla
I've done some interviews on sample processing recently, so I've learned more about the reason for these images. The image of the sample in the scoop gives an estimate of the total sample transferred from the drill to CHIMRA. It needs to be less than 12cc for CHIMRA safety. Also worth checking to make sure that the sieve is functioning as expected, since they've got that ongoing concern about the edge welds.
Herobrine
Sol 1119
Click to view attachment
Full size: http://imgur.com/J3eH9i8.gif (20+ MiB)
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update: Sol 1126: MAHLI selfie from Ken Herkenhoff LINK
MSL did well last weekend, but the Sol 1124 MAHLI images of the unsieved part of the drill sample showed that the APXS was not perfectly centered on the dump pile. Therefore, the Sol 1126 plan includes new MAHLI images and APXS measurements, better centered on the dump pile. Before the arm activities, ChemCam will acquire passive spectra of part of Mt Sharp, a 5x1 LIBS raster on "Canadian Creek," and an RMI image of the ChemCam calibration target. Then MAHLI will be used to take another self-portrait of the rover, and the APXS will be placed on the dump pile for an overnight integration. Later in the afternoon, Mastcam will acquire some mosaics and an image of Canadian Creek to provide context for the ChemCam observations. In parallel with the overnight APXS measurements, CheMin will analyze the material from the latest drill hole.
PaulH51
Quick and very dirty sol 1126 partial selfie, using just 41 frames assembled in MS ICE, reduced size to post here directly as I cant get into my Flickr account.
Click to view attachment
This should whet your appetite for the proper versions that will be posted by the image gurus

Edit : I managed to post the images so here are the links
Flickr Large (1024 x 753) LINK
Flickr Original (9335 x 6144) LINK
Imgur (9335 x 6144) LINK
jvandriel
My view of the Sol 1126 MAHLI selfie.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
eliBonora
Here our version
PaulH51
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Oct 8 2015, 04:48 AM) *
Here our version

Great processing Eli smile.gif
Here is the latest Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff - Sol 1127: Full MAHLI wheel imaging and bump LINK
Planning is no longer restricted, but to ensure that Sol 1127 commands are ready to be sent to the rover on time, we had to start planning 1.5 hours earlier than usual this morning. The Sol 1126 images show that the APXS was well centered over the pre-sieve dump pile, so we are ready to move on. It's time for a full set of MAHLI wheel images, which dominate the Sol 1127 plan. After the wheel imaging, there's just enough time for a short drive to another potential drill target and post-drive imaging. The volume of data expected to be received in time for planning tomorrow is smaller than usual, so we had to carefully consider data priorities. With luck, we'll receive enough of the post-drive images to select targets for remote sensing tomorrow morning. Planning will start at 6:30 PDT again tomorrow, so many of us will be getting up before dawn, but it's well worth it to keep the rover going!

atomoid
nice vicarious sefies! on another note a picturesque pan from sol1126
Click to view attachment
Herobrine
Animation of wheel check on Sol 1127. All 4 camera angles in the same GIF. Frames are cropped, histogram equalized and scaled to half size and played at 7.5 frames/sec, because I like it to feel as if Curiosity were rumbling across the surface at a rapid pace. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Here's a 1/3rd-size preview GIF.

(Click to animate)
Click to view attachment

And here's the full version. File size is about 8 MiB.
http://imgur.com/umNScVz.gif
PaulH51
QUOTE (Herobrine @ Oct 9 2015, 06:36 AM) *
......because I like it to feel as if Curiosity were rumbling across the surface at a rapid pace.

Enjoyed that animation....
PS We'd be atop Mt Sharp now if she could drive that fast, but likely to have picked up a few speeding tickets along the way... wink.gif
PaulH51
Another series of distant RMI's of Mt Sharp. Sol 1126: Very roughly assembled: Gathering passive spectral data. Makes me wonder if they are looking for science targets they may pass... Or simply gathering data from those light toned hills..
They also acquired 2 R-MastCams covering this location during the same imaging session, but these were bayer encoded and beyond my processing skills, so I used JPL's PIA19912 for a context image...

Flickr Original (2294 x 2026) LINK
Imgur (2294 x 2026) LINK

Edit : Curiosity Mission Update from Lauren Edgar - Sols 1129-1131: Assessing “Greenhorn” LINK

Curiosity is currently investigating an alteration zone around a fracture. After a successful drilling investigation at “Big Sky,” Curiosity is now ready to evaluate the alteration zone at “Greenhorn” for comparison. The weekend plan is a busy one. The first sol is focused on SAM activities, to prepare a cup to receive the “Big Sky” drill sample, and then to drop off the sample. On the second sol Curiosity will use the DRT to clear off a fresh surface on "Greenhorn,” which we’ll image with MAHLI. Overnight, we’ll acquire APXS on “Greenhorn.” The main activity on the third sol will be CheMin analysis of the “Big Sky” sample. Throughout the weekend Curiosity will also take standard DAN, RAD and REMS measurements. Meanwhile, I’ve been busy on the other side of the planet working MER operations, but I’ll be back on MSL next week so it’s good to keep an eye on all of the action!
neo56
My take on this RMI mosaic, with colorization using a MC100 picture.

PaulH51
Remember this? PIA16104_fig2, issued not long after landing..
Can any users advise me what tools to use in order to create something similar for the latest MC images?
TIA
Click to view attachment
Floyd
Not sure it was any magic tool. I think it is simply lining up features in the image with the same features maps. Use the map scale to get distances.
fredk
You can use Emily's identification of features as a start.
PaulH51
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 10 2015, 10:56 PM) *
You can use Emily's identification of features as a start.

Thanks guys smile.gif
wildespace
You know who's awesome?

Emily Lakdawalla is awesome.

Just felt I needed to share that thought.

smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Agreed!

Phil

PaulH51
Over three days since our last Curi images. Already got withdrawal symptoms...

Hope all is well on Mars... smile.gif
nprev
This Monday (12 Oct) is a US Federal holiday, so that's probably why there hasn't been much posted. wink.gif
Phil Stooke
Also, if you check the latest activity report which Paul linked to, this 3 day plan was largely taken up with SAM and CheMin activities, which use so much power that there isn't much left for other things. There should be some MAHLI images pretty soon.

Phil
Herobrine
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Oct 12 2015, 02:49 AM) *
Over three days since our last Curi images. Already got withdrawal symptoms...

Hope all is well on Mars... smile.gif

Somebody was asking about http://json.jpl.nasa.gov/data.json in another thread and I notice, pulling links from the JSON, that there is a substantial amount of imagery from Sols 1129-1131 in there. Some examples:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...246C00_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...245E01_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...244E01_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...873E01_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...857C00_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/pr...FHAZ00323M_.JPG
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...878R00_DXXX.jpg

As of the time of this post, neither http://curiositymsl.com nor http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/ show anything after Sol 1128.
Anyone know why that is? I've never seen the JSON API before so I don't know if it's normal for it to be ahead of the two sites I mentioned.
PaulH51
QUOTE (Herobrine @ Oct 13 2015, 03:39 AM) *
...a substantial amount of imagery from Sols 1129-1131 in there. Some examples:

Good to hear all is well on Mars, I am sure all will be resolved after the long weekend with those images being made available in the public servers smile.gif
PaulH51
Using the JSON links from Herobrine...
I grabbed the sol 1127 end of drive L-NacCam (acquired over 2 sols).
Quick and Dirty stitch in MS ICE. Stitching errors mainly limited to the horizon, but should give you something to see, until a cleaner version can be posted smile.gif

Flickr Original (8192 x 2099) LINK
Imgur LINK
PaulH51
Greenhorn: 3x3 R-MastCam mosaic (MS ICE) sol 1128 from JSON.

Flickr Original Size 3398 x 3368 pixels LINK
Imgur LINK
jvandriel
The Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1127-1128.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Herobrine
NAVCAM travel animation for Sol 1127 is 17 frames. There's a jump in the middle. NAVCAM stopped capturing frames for about an hour and when it started back up, either the rover had moved or NAVCAM was oriented differently.
Here's a small preview of the left NAVCAM's view.
Click to view attachment
And here's the full-size (512x256) stereo pair animation for Parallel and Cross-Eye viewing. File sizes are about 2.6 MiB each.
Phil Stooke
This is a circular version of Jan's panorama. The curving fracture and halo show up quite nicely.

Phil

Click to view attachment
wildespace
The Sol 1126 "selfie" in Photosynth: http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=87dbd2...d0-1088ae8a36e3
PaulH51
After dumping the remains of the Big Sky sample they checked out CHIMRA's internal chambers during sol 1132. Looks fairly clean smile.gif

Flickr Original Size 5966 x 3825 pixels LINK
Imgur LINK
climber
This make me wondering how do we know we had a cleaning event on a RTG vehicule?
Explorer1
Less visible dust on the rover outside, presumably?
PaulH51
Mission Update from Lauren Edgar - Sol 1134: Mini-start hole at “Pilgrim” LINK
Curiosity is currently investigating an alteration zone around a fracture, and the plan today is focused on what we call a “mini-start hole.” Before we do a full drill hole, we do a small test hole to make sure its safe. The target “Pilgrim” was selected for drilling, located in the middle of this Mastcam image. Today’s plan also includes MAHLI imaging of “Pilgrim,” both before and after drilling. Then we’ll place APXS over the target for analysis overnight. The plan also includes DAN, RAD and REMS measurements. Data volume and power were issues today, but the team put together a very full plan despite these limitations. I’ll be on duty as GSTL tomorrow, and it looks like we should have a science block that will allow us to characterize this target with both Mastcam and ChemCam as well.
PaulH51
First the good news :
Mini-start hole at “Pilgrim” looking good.... Image acquired just three hours ago on Mars !
Click to view attachment
LINK to full size

I hope I am wrong, but this image gives me some concerns about the integrity of the 150 micron screen... There is a pronounced concave appearance to the screen. Have we got an issue with the spot welds along the edge?
Click to view attachment
LINK to full size
Gerald
At first glance I don't see an issue.
The impression could be a result of reflecting light or some Moiré pattern.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.