Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
atomoid
Thanks for that nice debayered result Gerald, you must have something other than the free debayer plugin for ImageJ, i didnt have much luck finding any for gimp/photoshop..

anyway onward to new pastures sol1073 and new glimpses of wind-exhumed blocks of ancient buried crater-ejecta/cliff-crumbles?
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Yes, I've used a C++ compiler a while ago to get a very rudimentary debayering tool. The onboard debayering uses a more sophisticated 5x5 kernel, but I'm not sure whether the results would be much better with the lossy jpg version.
===
Here a Sol 1072 NRB pano:
Click to view attachment
In the meanwhile, there has been another drive on Sol 1073.
Gerald
Preliminary Sol 1073 NRB partial pan:
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam NL B panorama taken on Sol 1073.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Jan - and Gerald for the previous sol. Here are two circular views at these locations:

1072:
Click to view attachment

1073:
Click to view attachment

Phil
Gerald
Partial NRB pan after the Sol 1074 drive:
Click to view attachment
(Edit: replaced file with the correct one, see below, thanks Phil!)
Phil Stooke
Oops! That's sol 1073!

Phil
Gerald
Next time when I think "wow the layout resembles much the previous one" I better should look twice.
Gerald
A first glimpse of a Sol 1073 ML mosaic, stitched of some of the thumbnails, using Hugin:
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 15 2015, 08:27 AM) *
A first glimpse of a Sol 1073 ML mosaic, stitched of some of the thumbnails, using Hugin:

Nice preview Gerald smile.gif here are 34 full frames roughly stitched in MS ICE, colour and contrast have both been stretched to highlight the different surface textures/features.

Clicking the preview will open the 1024 x 131 version
Original size LINK (25293 x 3230)
PaulH51
3x3 R-MastCam mosaic of "Crazy Mountain" (sol 1074). Roughly stitched in MS ICE, Contrast and colours stretched to highlight the "Interesting Banding" on this fallen?,or tilted bedrock?... Jury will remain out on that topic until we see some more bedrock in this new location smile.gif

Clicking the preview image opens the 1024 mosaic on Flickr, this link opens the full size image (3374 x 3303 pixels) LINK
Gerald
Thanks Paul, for preparing the mosaic!

Makes me thinking at glacial striations.
algorithm
Crazy Mountain again but with a bit of tonemapping to try and bring out some detail in the shadows.

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
A contact test on the Organic free blanks...my guess is that they are preparing to drill into these soon and sample them. Very interesting arm and turret deflection. http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01076.html
PaulH51
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Aug 17 2015, 09:22 AM) *
A contact test on the Organic free blanks...my guess is that they are preparing to drill into these soon and sample them. Very interesting arm and turret deflection.

A good write-up from the 42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (2011) on the OCM is here LINK

Also a sol 34 image of one of the OCM cans (for comparison), plus an informative write-up on the "touch points" (for the rover's drill posts) LINK
eliBonora
wheels... sol 1065

.... with a rock in balance, or caught?!?!

PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update - Sols 1078-1079: Back to restricted planning from Ryan Anderson LINK
...another drive is planned for Sol 1078 with only the usual post-drive MAHLI (stowed) and MARDI (twilight) imaging. Planning is restricted again (Mars and Earth time are out of sync), so we are planning two sols. Before driving away from the current location, ChemCam and Mastcam will observe rock targets dubbed "Huson" and "Ignatius" and Mastcam will image another rock called "Hodown." After the drive, an overnight CheMin integration on the drill sample is planned, followed by atmospheric observations early on the morning of Sol 1079. More Navcam atmospheric observations are planned later that sol, along with some ChemCam calibration activities...
PaulH51
With the next drive imminent, here is the 'end-of-drive' L-MastCam mosaic from the last drive on sol 1074. Colour and contrast have been stretched to highlight the terrain.

clicking the preview opens the 1024 version, the link opens the full size (5696 x 1341) LINK
SteveM
Ken Herkenhoff seems to think we haven't reached Mount Sharp yet: "I'm glad that we are making good progress toward Mt. Sharp!"
Floyd
There are far flanks, and the canyons on the mountain. We've been drilling into the former and have a ways to go to get to the latter. So we are at Mt Sharp and have a ways to go to get there rolleyes.gif
algorithm
A panorama of one of the ChemCam observations on Sol 1077

Click to view attachment
fredk
RDR versions of those chemcam pics are available that have been flatfielded and show a lot more detail:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/pr...CCAM01075L2.JPG
PaulH51
Sol 1078: ~29 meter drive SSW (Midnight Planets). Partial L-NavCam roughly stitched mosaic gives some details of the next valley system.
PaulH51
Sol 1077 R-MastCam mosaic, 8 images roughly stitched in MS ICE. This location was targeted by the laser (see LH side of the central rock) and the subject of a series RMI-ChemCam observation, some of which were posted here earlier by 'algorithm'

Click above preview to open the 1024 version or HERE for the full size version (4641 x 2338 pixels)
Arizona Dave
Nice Mosaic!

whats the chance they will ChemCam zap that little "pearl" jutting out....Id love to know its comp vs the material its encased in.

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Aug 18 2015, 07:43 PM) *
Sol 1077 R-MastCam mosaic, 8 images roughly stitched in MS ICE. This location was targeted by the laser (see LH side of the central rock) and the subject of a series RMI-ChemCam observation, some of which were posted here earlier by 'algorithm'
dvandorn
Interesting rock. It's obviously layered, thus implying a sedimentary rock of some kind. And yet the lower, less wind-smoothed portion looks like it has small vesicles in it. Since finely layered rock is less likely to be vesicular, I'd have to think that these are places where small grains have eroded out, or dropped out, of the rock. Either that, or the little holes are tiny craters left by energetic ejecta from nearby impacts.

Of course, I suppose it could be an example of a sedimentary rock that was partially melted via impact, thus forming vesicles. The distortion of the layering on the upper portion of the rock could also speak to partial remelting, too, I suppose.

-the other Doug
eliBonora
Variations on the theme!

jvandriel
The complete Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1074.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another interesting 'Light Toned' Target for the RMI-ChemCam during sol 1077.

Full size version (1404 x 2164) LINK
jvandriel
and the complete Navcam L view from Sol 1078.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
eliBonora
anaglyph sol 1074

PaulH51
QUOTE (eliBonora @ Aug 20 2015, 12:35 AM) *
anaglyph sol 1074

Nailed it Eli smile.gif I always look to seeing your work here...

Here is the sol 1078 'Drive Direction' L-MastCam, colour and contrast stretched to being out the wonderful detail of the geology to the South and South-West.

Full size version (5811 x 1427 pixels) LINK
Phil Stooke
We're moving again... but I'm afraid i will be unable to map anything for a few sols while travelling (currently on Hornby Island, BC) - not to worry, normal service will resume as soon as possible.

Phil

PaulH51
Looking NNW on sol 1078 a R-MastCam 4x2 Mosaic, colour and contrast stretched

Link to full size (4563 x 2261) LINK

Also the latest USGS Mission Update Report from Ryan Anderson "Sols 1080-1081: Official New Selfie!" LINK
...On sol 1080, ChemCam has observations of the targets “Red Lodge”, “Mowry”, and “Rosebud”, with accompanying Mastcam images. Mastcam will also take a 19-frame stereo mosaic of a cliff dubbed “Judith River”. After the drive, we have our standard post-drive imaging, plus an active measurement with DAN. On sol 1081, since we won’t have the data down yet to do targeted observations, we have a bunch of atmospheric monitoring with REMS, Navcam, Mastcam, and ChemCam. We’re also planning a 360 degree Mastcam mosaic to take in our new surroundings and MARDI will take a picture of the ground under the rover....

jvandriel
Partial Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1080.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

PaulH51
Now that is a truly stunning vista. The 360 degree mast camera panorama (planned for sol 1081) promises to be a memorable image smile.gif
atomoid
yes, we're finally up where we can get some perspective on the rolling foothills once again
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff : Sols 1082-1084: Nice View LINK
...On Sol 1082, ChemCam and Mastcam will observe Ravalli and a brighter rock dubbed "Sawtooth" before Mastcam acquires a 23x6 mosaic of the nice outcrops ahead. Mastcam and Navcam will look up at the sky at about the same time that the Mars Odyssey orbiter will be passing over, to compare results of observations from above and the surface. Then the arm will be deployed for contact science and the APXS placed on Ravalli for overnight integration. ChemCam and Mastcam will observe a couple more bright blocks on Sol 1083, named "Stonewall" and "Wolsey" before the rover drives toward the south. We'll then acquire the usual post-drive images and DAN active data. On the last sol (1084), ChemCam will take some calibration data and SAM will clean its scrubber in preparation for future measurement...
jvandriel
The complete Navcam L B view on Sol 1080.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Great - here's a more map-like view of the same data, showing us on a rubbly ridge between depressions and outcrops.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another drive on Sol 1083, 2 R-NavCam images acquired during the drive reveal some interesting shallow channels exposing light toned bedrock?

Full size (1860 x 1193) LINK
PaulH51
Coulple of Questions...

Anyone know if there is an acessible contour map that covers the ground between the curent location and Murray Buttes? Or even between the current location and the Clay and Hematite ridge?

In a recent curiosity video update JPL reported on the Lewis and Clark Trail, and showed a variety of possible paths as well as some limitations to its boundaries. Were those maps ever issued outside of the video?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. I realise that the actual path will depend on a number of factors, but it would be fun to try and visualise the next parts of the journey.

I will add the link to the video here....
fredk
There's a topo map here, but there are no contours or elevation scale. I've seen contour maps but only at much lower resolution.

jvandriel
The Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1083.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's pan in circular form:

Click to view attachment

We have come down off that rubble-covered ridge and now there's a sea of outcrop all around.

Phil
Floyd
What exciting terrain to explore. Hang together wheels wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif , firm sandy soil is yet a ways ahead.
atomoid
quite a bit of countour going on at the X-mark spot sol1083
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 24 2015, 10:23 PM) *
There's a topo map here

Many thanks, that's one I was not aware of smile.gif appreciate the feedback...

Here's the latest Mission Update Report from Ken Herkenhoff for Sols 1085-1086: Rough road ahead : LINK

Edit : Sol 1083 'Drive Direction' left mast camera mosaic. Roughly stitched in MS ICE, colour and contrast stretched. Some interesting fracture filled veins in the distance, but maybe not close to our path... Time will tell. This may be a 'rough road' but it's sure to be scenic smile.gif

Full size (5768 x 1371) LINK

And the completed sol 1077 L-MastCam 22x2 Mosaic looking West.

Full size (23956 x 2330) LINK
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1085.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
looks like we finally can see a full view of Mt Sharp again on sol1081, AFAIK the last time we could see a relatively unobstructed view of at least the channel mouth was almost kilometer ago back in April on sol952 or maybe it was sol1047. Heres a quick n dirty ICE mashup taking liberties with the color.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.