Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Steve5304
QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 6 2015, 04:51 AM) *
They probably are; gypsum veins have been found by Oppy and Curiosity before. There was water percolation through bedrock in many places. Most of what we see is a lot older than most places on Earth, though; billions instead of millions. Erosion moves exceedingly slowly here.

well the gypsum is in a flow pattern downstream. the plaster of paris only reveals itself in the presence of.water . This place on the planet had ALOT of water...
algorithm
MastCam mosaic from Sol1095, (not sure of target name)

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another R-MastCam mosaic from sol 1095

Original (5756 x 1469) LINK
serpens
QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 6 2015, 04:51 AM) *
..... Erosion moves exceedingly slowly here.

More accurately, erosion moves exceedingly slowly here now days. In the past this must have been a very dynamic environment with plenty of that universal solvent, water. In the absence of plate tectonics building and sculpting a sedimentary formation like mount Sharp won't happen in a benign environment.
Actionman
... erosion exceedingly thorough with out apparent annihilation.
jccwrt
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 6 2015, 07:46 PM) *
Another R-MastCam mosaic from sol 1095

I believe the big ridge at center is Grey Wolf Peak. Cliff on the left side might be the rear flank of Mt. Stimson or Mt. Siyeh.
PaulH51
Animation of what looks like an Alignment Check for Organic Check Material Sample Acquisition on the 'offset OCM canister' (lower right hand side of the 5 cans)

Flickr (755 x 800) LINK or IMGUR LINK
PaulH51
QUOTE (jccwrt @ Sep 8 2015, 09:35 AM) *
I believe the big ridge at center is Grey Wolf Peak. Cliff on the left side might be the rear flank of Mt. Stimson or Mt. Siyeh.

Looking at Phil's maps, that sounds like a good call... I'd probably favour Siyeh for the other peak smile.gif
atomoid
QUOTE (algorithm @ Sep 6 2015, 09:29 AM) *
MastCam mosaic from Sol1095, (not sure of target name)

Nice work! algorithm's stitch stitch gives context to the two curious and seemingly related bar-like features tht appear to contain coarser grains and are displaced across what to my untrained eye looks like an apparent fault slip in this sol1095 image... interpretations anyone?
PaulH51
QUOTE (atomoid @ Sep 9 2015, 05:10 AM) *
Interpretations anyone?
I'll leave that to the experts smile.gif But it is impressive

Meanwhile we dont have all the NavCam images yet, but these 5 frames (L-NavCam, sol 1098) give us an idea of the terrain in new location. Roughly assembled in MS ICE.
The drive appears to have been cut short of the planned distance. Maybe the rover spotted the outcrops to the right (inside Bridger Basin) and fancied a closer look at them smile.gif If not, there is some better driving terrain to the south and then west around the basin.

Original (3841 x 1382) LINK

Edit : Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff, Sol 1099: Driving again LINK
MSL did well over the long weekend, except that the Sol 1098 drive was halted after 13 meters of the planned 25 meters because the rover could not confirm that the path ahead was safe. So the plan for the Sol 1099 drive is essentially to complete the rest of the previously planned drive. The only significant problem I've had to grapple with today as SOWG Chair is that the last 5 relays of data through MRO have returned significantly less data than expected; if this problem continues, we will barely receive enough data to plan another drive on Sol 1100. Fortunately, the MRO team understands the problem and knows how to correct it, and there is a good chance that we will receive all the data we need in time for planning tomorrow morning. This situation reminds me of how much we depend on the Mars orbiters and the teams that operate them, and to thank them for their continued support of the MSL mission.
Before the Sol 1099 drive, we have time to acquire ChemCam and Mastcam observations of "Mission Creek" and "Chamberlain," plus MastCam mosaics of "Bridger Basin," "Hackley Point," and "Police Creek." The rover will wake up early on the morning of Sol 1100 to acquire a big stereo mosaic of the far wall of Bridger Basin, because the illumination will be better early in the morning. Mastcam will also take a 360-degree panorama with the left camera.
PaulH51
Sol 1098 R-NavCam in MS ICE. Stitching at the horizon is poor, but the rest should be OK. Great view.... smile.gif

Link to full size LINK
jvandriel
The Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1098.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's panorama in circular form - for identification of distant features, this projection puts them at the correct azimuth (roughly - I'm only aligning it by eye here).

Paul - assuming your mosaic work uses manually identified tie points, try to make sure there is one on the horizon at each image overlap, and your horizon will be fixed.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Navcam L view on Sol 1099.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
and the circular view of the same view on Sol 1099! Great view of the cliffs of Bridger Basin.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Herobrine
I like to create heavily contrast-exaggerated versions of MAHLI, MARDI, and MASTCAM imagery for myself, to help me to get a better sense of what different geology/stuff is around Curiosity.
I do it with an emphasis on maximizing color contrast without crushing shadows or highlights any more than I need to, while trying to preserve as much detail available in the JPEGs as possible. It really helps me start to grok the surroundings more than a regluar contrast increase or white balance adjustment, which often seems to wash out the image.
Here's some recent examples, done to varying effect.
Sol 1081
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Sol 1090
Click to view attachment
Sol 1092
Click to view attachment
Sol 1094
Click to view attachment (stowed MAHLI)
Sol 1095Click to view attachment
Nothing really new or exciting; eliBonora, for example, posts similarly exaggerated images from time to time (though I can't usually enjoy them fully due to the use of flickr's URL shortening service, hosted in Korea and blocked from here). I just wanted to bring it up to reiterate how helpful they can be sometimes. Carry on.
Herobrine
It appears we have a driving "video" from Sol 1098.
Click to view attachment
The above is somewhat reduced, both in size and in quality. Full size/quality can be found here.
And for good measure, click below for an animation of the stereo pair for parallel viewing (for a change, since not everyone is able to cross their eyes ).
Click to view attachment
(Click for GIF)

Edit:
And because I'm an extremely kind, generous, and of course modest individual, I made one for you cross-eyed people as well.
Cross-eyed viewing: http://i.imgur.com/timS7Ke.gif

Edit: Whoops, wrong link. Let me fix that....Fixed.
atomoid
is that a small crosseye? thats no crosseye, its a parellel! its too big to be a parellel? no, i have a very good feeling about this..! and it gives me a new hope to use parellel more, as crosseye is better only when image matchpoints exceed interpupilary distance, and parellel is so much more relaxed (unless im freaking out trying to view a parellel bigger than the distance between my eyes).

not to get too far off on a tangent, thanks for posting that (and everything else too)! without stereo i would have never suspected that we straddled atop that thin ridgetop as long as we did! nothing else comes as close to being there!
Herobrine
QUOTE (atomoid @ Sep 9 2015, 06:51 PM) *
is that a small crosseye? thats no crosseye, its a parellel! its too big to be a parellel? no, i have a very good feeling about this..! and it gives me a new hope to use parellel more, as crosseye is better only when image matchpoints exceed interpupilary distance, and parellel is so much more relaxed (unless im freaking out trying to view a parellel bigger than the distance between my eyes).

Whoops. I posted the same link twice by mistake, which means I don't even have the cross-eye one anymore. Guess I owe it to you people to remake it now.

Edit: Here it is. http://i.imgur.com/timS7Ke.gif
Sorry about that.
PaulH51
QUOTE (Herobrine @ Sep 10 2015, 05:02 AM) *
It appears we have a driving "video"
Very nice drive Animation smile.gif. Also enjoyed your enhanced images, they can really help to tell a tale.
Here is one of the recent end of drive stowed arm MAHLI's (sol 1098) stretched colours and sharpened to highlight the terrain.

Original (2009 x 1910) LINK
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff: Sol 1100: Swan, Sunburst, Studhorse, Sweetgrass Arch, and Silver Hill LINK
The rover drove 34.5 meters on Sol 1099, as planned, to a good location for the imaging of the northwest wall of Bridger Basin. The Mastcam team verified that the pointing of the mosaic of that wall, planned to occur early on Sol 1100, is excellent. So the Sol 1100 plan includes another drive, to the southwest edge of the small plateau the rover is on. Before the drive, ChemCam and Mastcam will observe nearby layered rocks dubbed "Swan" and "Sunburst," and Right Mastcam mosaics will be taken of targets named "Studhorse," "Sweetgrass Arch" and "Silver Hill." After the drive, in addition to the standard post-driving activities, we're planning a Right Mastcam mosaic of "Beartooth Butte" and a SAM diagnostic activity in preparation for the next solid sample analysis. Fitting all of the desired observations into the plan was challenging, otherwise I've had an easy day as SOWG Chair.
The MRO operations team identified the cause of the communications relay problem we had over the holiday weekend, and sent commands to the spacecraft to correct it. We're happy that we are again receiving lots of good data via MRO!
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1100.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Lacking a full panorama so far, I used this quick reprojection of hazcams to get today's location. The outcrops are distinctive enough for it to work pretty well.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Herobrine
Fresh on the heels of the Sol 1098 NAVCAM travel animations come two more.

For Sol 1099, we have a 43-frame travel animation.
Here's a small preview of NAVCAM-L's view:
Click to view attachment
And here are full-size (512x256) stereo pair animations for Parallel and Cross-Eye viewing. File sizes are about 6.5 MiB each.
Alternatively, here are smoother versions that omit 4 frames where Curiosity is jockeying for position, for Parallel and Cross-Eye viewing.

For Sol 1100, we have a 47-frame travel animation.
Here's a small preview of NAVCAM-L's view:
Click to view attachment
And here are full-size (512x256) stereo pair animations for Parallel and Cross-Eye viewing. File sizes are about 7 MiB each.

Edit: Updated with full-size versions for Sol 1100
PaulH51
Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff. Sol 1101: Driving into the Saddle LINK
The 34-meter drive planned for Sol 1100 placed the rover at the edge of the small plateau, as intended, with a good view of a bright Murray Formation outcrop. The center of the Murray outcrop is the target of the drive planned for Sol 1101, which will hopefully put the vehicle in position for contact science over the weekend. Before the drive, ChemCam RMI and Mastcam observations of targets named "Brady" and "Bradley" are planned, both of which are on the far wall of Bridger Basin. Mastcam will also observe a shallow trough in the soil next to the rover ("Blackleaf Creek") and acquire a mosaic of the Murray exposure, which has been named "Saddle."
jccwrt
Curiosity's Sol 1099 MastCam mosaic looking towards Murray Buttes. Handled the debayering process in gmic and cleaned up some of the artifacts introduced by jpeg compression in Photoshop.

Curiosity MastCam - Sol 1099 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr
stevesliva
I love that sort of image from the ground. It reminds me of what you see from orbit. Most macro features could be explained by processes not involving any phase of water. But there are some screamingly obvious things that say, "hey, look here, this isn't wind and mass wasting. Explain me."

- not a geologist.
jvandriel
Here is the complete Navcam L panoramic view from Sol 1100.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Habukaz
QUOTE (jccwrt @ Sep 11 2015, 07:50 AM) *
Curiosity's Sol 1099 MastCam mosaic looking towards Murray Buttes. Handled the debayering process in gmic and cleaned up some of the artifacts introduced by jpeg compression in Photoshop.

Curiosity MastCam - Sol 1099 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

That's really nice. Reminiscent of the odd sci-fi poster depicting Mars.
PaulH51
Just for fun: Sol 1100, end-of-drive MAHLI... Colour/contrast really pushed

Original (1975 x 1786) LINK

Also the predrive sol 1099 R-MastCam of Bridger Basin (5x3)

Original (5848 x 3409) LINK
Blue Sky
My take on jccwrt's Murray Buttes photo. All I did was compress the contrast range, resulting in something that looks like a watercolor painting.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's 1100 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
charborob
A wider view of the buttes on sol 1100:
Click to view attachment
dvandorn
QUOTE (jccwrt @ Sep 10 2015, 11:50 PM) *

Unfortunately, Flickr now seems to be requiring that you have an account with them, or a Yahoo account, to download images. I know both are supposedly free, but when a website tells me I need to register to do more than browse, I tend to rebel a bit. I don't need or trust people who want to track my movements -- one reason I don't have any of those "discount cards" that are so popular at gas stations and drugstores. What I buy, and where, is none of their business. Same here -- what I download (as long as it's legal) is no one's business but my own.

Too bad, that would have been my new desktop.

-the other Doug
Phil Stooke
I feel the same way, and I'm not happy that access is now tied to signing in. Any chance some of these great new images might be made available some other way?

Phil

Explorer1
I can download it just fine, and I have no account; just press the arrow icon on the bottom right and choose your size. Or press 'all sizes' to see them in the browser.
Herobrine
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Sep 11 2015, 02:58 PM) *
press the arrow icon on the bottom right and choose your size. Or press 'all sizes' to see them in the browser.

For the rest of us, doing that just pops up a 'looks like you're trying to download an image' prompt that requires you to sign in with your Yahoo! account in order to continue.
It's possible they're doing A/B testing of the new requirement and that's why you're not experiencing it.
Edit: Here's a screenshot after clicking "View all sizes" from the arrow icon on the bottom right: http://imgur.com/BRW0aPZ.png
jccwrt
Thanks for the heads up. Here's an Imgur link to that MastCam image for now, and I'll try to find another acceptable image host.
Explorer1
Strange; I'm on the latest version of Firefox, for the record. I've never seen a login prompt on Flickr. What about right-clicking?

Seems like the internet is going back to the future, with 90's style 'this website is viewed best with Netscape Navigator 2.x' messages. Whatever happened to consistency? rolleyes.gif
stevesliva
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Sep 11 2015, 03:12 PM) *
Strange; I'm on the latest version of Firefox, for the record. I've never seen a login prompt on Flickr. What about right-clicking?

While not logged in, I'm able to click the icon that is an arrow pointing down at a horizontal line and select "Original " to get the full-size PNG.
xflare
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Sep 11 2015, 08:58 PM) *
I can download it just fine, and I have no account; just press the arrow icon on the bottom right and choose your size. Or press 'all sizes' to see them in the browser.

I got the log in request in Chrome, but not in Firefox. And after seeing the image..... DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE biggrin.gif
fredk
With firefox, I've always been able to right click, select "view page info" -> media tab -> select the image from the list -> click "save as". I've never had an account with them.

But this raises a point I've made before: when possible, we should encourage people to use the internal UMSF image post. Of course there are many cases when the 1 MB limit isn't enough (eg large mastcam pans), but we do see stuff posted to flicker that is under 1 MB. Dig into the UMSF archives and see how many images are lost because the image server the poster used went belly up.

Edit: another idea is to provide the direct image link. For the image in question that's:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/656/21287525...90d988cd1_o.png
Of course that doesn't give us the option of choosing the size (unless the poster does a lot of work and collects the links to all the sizes). And I don't know how static those links are.
hendric
I am willing to sponsor increasing our drive space to host larger images. Doug, Emily?
serpens
I am a little confused by this thread. I opened the image in Flickr. Then all sizes, selected the one I wanted and then "save image as". All went without a hitch. I do not have a Flickr account.
djellison
QUOTE (hendric @ Sep 11 2015, 03:45 PM) *
Doug

I've not been a member of the UMSF admin team for some years.
Floyd
Doug, some confusion may come from "Administrator" under your avatar. Stu seem to no longer be an active member, but is also listed (last time I looked) as an Administrator. Maybe Admin could clean up titles.
walfy
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 11 2015, 02:32 PM) *
...when possible, we should encourage people to use the internal UMSF image post...

I've always thought the 1MB size limit was pretty small here, especially considering how costs have come down so drastically for storage. Multi-terabyte hard drives are relatively cheap now, just one would take care of several months of image/gif uploads, even if file size limit was increased by a few megabytes. Of course, increased bandwidth would be needed as well. But cheaper storage can offset some of the costs. Hosting the images in-house on UMSF would be in line with its archival mission, and all the excellent image contributors should be encouraged to use it. Anyway, those are my two "bytes"!
PaulH51
The latest Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff. Sols 1102-1104: Arm error recovery LINK
The Sol 1101 activities that we planned yesterday did not complete due to an arm error while it was being stowed. Apparently the shoulder azimuth motor was too cold, so the rover software halted the stow, which precluded the drive that was to follow. The rover is therefore in the same position that it was yesterday.
I'm not scheduled in any operational role today, but I called in to help plan MAHLI imaging of the ChemCam optical window, to monitor dust accumulation. The operations team had to scramble to recover from the arm error and plan science observations, but was able to put together an excellent weekend plan. On Sol 1102, MAHLI will take the standard images of the rover wheels, then acquire a full suite of images of a rock dubbed "Badlands." APXS will then be placed on the rock for an overnight integration. Arm work will continue on Sol 1103, with MAHLI images of the ChemCam window. Then ChemCam and Mastcam will observe targets named "Madison" and "Jefferson." On Sol 1104, the RMI and Mastcam will take images of a bright ridge on the flank of Mt. Sharp, then ChemCam and Mastcam will observe "Lincoln." Mastcam will also acquire another mosaic of the wall of Bridger Basin, then the rover will drive to the bright Murray outcrop "Saddle" as planned yesterday. Fortunately, the Sol 1104 orbiter overflight geometry is better than it was yesterday, so we expect to receive all the data needed for planning on Monday. Finally, early on Sol 1105, Mastcam and Navcam will observe the sun and sky soon after the Mars Odyssey orbiter flies over, so that orbiter observations can be compared with nearly simultaneous observations from the surface. Overall, not a bad plan, considering that the operations team had to quickly respond to the arm error!
atomoid
thanks so much jccwrt and charborob I hijacked your great images from sol1099/1100 for the first long baseline in some time... anaglyph and crosseye below
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dvandorn
QUOTE (jccwrt @ Sep 11 2015, 02:09 PM) *
Thanks for the heads up. Here's an Imgur link to that MastCam image for now, and I'll try to find another acceptable image host.

Thank you! Desktop now in place.

As for the image, all I can say is the following:

"I think it's important to explore beautiful places. It's good for the spirit." -Dave Scott, amateur geologist/explorer

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.