Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Conjunction: Santa Maria to Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Ant103
Prepare for epic !

This is going to be incredible.
fredk
Something big's up ahead indeed: our old friend the Mystery Man has reappeared to give us a sense of scale and encourage us onwards:
Click to view attachment
Like usual he's to proper scale (2 metres high to top of hat), standing on the rim of AC.

And you know what he's yelling: "Guys, over here! The view's incredible!"
Stu
Yaaay! Mystery Man is always a welcome sight!! smile.gif
ustrax
did I make it on time?
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 18 2011, 07:04 AM) *
Something big's up ahead indeed: our old friend the Mystery Man has reappeared to give us a sense of scale and encourage us onwards:

Thanks for that Fred. Seriously we should really see more of him. The vertical perspective is important to get an intuitive grasp of what the scenery would look like in person.
Phil Stooke
Ustrax said "did I make it on time?"

Tsk! I hope you are not allowing so-called 'real life' to intrude on your precious Mars time!

Fred said "our old friend the Mystery Man has reappeared"

Is he holding up the sky in that view?

Phil
ustrax
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 18 2011, 04:41 PM) *
Ustrax said "did I make it on time?"

Tsk! I hope you are not allowing so-called 'real life' to intrude on your precious Mars time!

I managed to escape samsara. wink.gif
pancams are in, my useless techniques are telling me that we're getting more detail on that big paw:
Click to view attachment
Stu
Ooh.... love how the crater peaks line up with the Farside Hills...

Click to view attachment

P.S. Welcome back ustrax!! smile.gif
Pertinax
With you there Stu! I was thinking the symmetry* quite fair: A crater rim in front of a crater basin on a crater wall. It reminded me of our view over Sputnik, and Victoria, only so much better.

-- Pertinax

PS: Hi again ustrax!!! Ever closer to Ithica wink.gif

* in the interest of clarity: 'Beauty as a result of balance or harmonious arrangement'
Stu
Navcam panorama...

Click to view attachment

...and stretched version of horizon...

Click to view attachment

John Carter would have felt at home in that landscape, wouldn't he? smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Looks like I can retire - my work here is done!

Phil
Stu
You must be kidding, Phil. You can tease details out of those horizons and faraways the rest of us couldn't find in a month! I've just been playing about waiting for you to get to work! smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 18 2011, 12:08 PM) *
Looks like I can retire - my work here is done! Phil

Whoever is printing the invitations to Phil's retirement party, you'll need his retirement photo:
Phil Stooke
What, you couldn't find the picture that makes me look like a young Roger Moore?

Phil
fredk
Some cool new features appearing on Tribulation now:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M1.JPG?sol2659
Can't wait to see the latest panorama in colour...
Stu
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 18 2011, 08:51 PM) *
Can't wait to see the latest panorama in colour...

Here ya go...

Click to view attachment

ohmy.gif smile.gif
jamescanvin
Wow! Great work Stu, I guess I don't need to rush and do that one myself now. smile.gif
MoreInput
Wow, the next days will be fantastic. Is there any possibility to make a full view of Endeavour now, from the north rim to the south rim?

@Stu, Ant: Fantastic panoramas ... thx.
@ustrax: Nice to hear from you again.

Are we there yet?
Ant103
Very nice Stu ! And very quick ! smile.gif

My version of this -wonderful- view :

We need to go closer !
MoreInput
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 18 2011, 09:51 PM) *
Some cool new features appearing on Tribulation now ..

Didn't someone realized the new view of Cape tribulation? Currently we see the Cape Tribulation as 'pyramid', but where's Cape Byron, Cape Dromedary, Point Hicks?
I think they are hidden through the Cape Tribulation, or are they now visible left from the cape in Fred's picture?

Here was the view from Sol 2239, all capes are ordered from left to right.

jamescanvin
OK so when I said I didn't need to rush to do my own version I meant it. However for some inexplicable reason 40 minutes later I'm now posting one. blink.gif I'm addicted!

James
Tesheiner
Fantastic, Stu & Ant!
And when I think that this is just a preview of the panorama that should open in a couple of days... Wow!

@James: We can't live without it, can we? laugh.gif

BTW, there's another driving planned thisol 2660. That's music to my ears.
Images should be avail. around 13:35 UTC.
Ant103
We all know that feel James. wink.gif
MoreInput
Here is a Google earth file with all named object of the Endeavour crater (from which I know).
Maybe helping us identifying structures of the new pictures.
Tesheiner
And continuing with the driving theme, I guess it will be minimum 90m (*). There's a "mid-drive" navcam shot planned at 252deg. and the only "relevant" feature I can find with that heading on the current path is that small crater highlighted here on the map.
Click to view attachment

(*) Perhaps Scott may tweet a more precise figure...
fredk
QUOTE (MoreInput @ Jul 18 2011, 10:33 PM) *
Currently we see the Cape Tribulation as 'pyramid', but where's Cape Byron, Cape Dromedary, Point Hicks?
I think the full length of the straight ridge including Tribulation and Byron is hidden behind the near end of Tribulation (the "pyramid"). I think Dromedary and Hicks are now visible as the two bumps to the left of Tribulation. Iazu is hazier and farther to the left.

Interestingly, it seems we still can't see Solander point which is between us and Tribulation. Once we drop a bit, that should pop into view.
KrisK
Made this just for fun pancam.gif
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55907406@N08/...in/photostream/
Ant103
That a good work KrisK smile.gif Keep sharing pictures like that !

I've made this picture from the navcams. Reprojected so it looks like it have been taken with a reflex camera with a 10-20 mm lens (I love this kind of lenses).

Tesheiner
New pictures are already available and the near horizon is dropping significantly. Compare this fresh navcam image with a similar one taken from the previous site, 120m behind.
MoreInput
... and we see a little more detail of Approach crater ... just a tiny little bit.
Sunspot
I'm starting to feel like we wont see Cape York until we end up driving into it biggrin.gif blink.gif
ElkGroveDan
Blueberry and hematite discussion moved HERE
fredk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 19 2011, 07:45 PM) *
New pictures are already available and the near horizon is dropping significantly.
It looks to me that we are now seeing more of the far rim than ever before. I think the most we'd seen before was roughly in the late 2300's. Here's a comparison of one of James's pans then with the new navcam:
Click to view attachment
Can't wait to see some pancams...
fredk
...and here they are!
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M7.JPG?sol2660
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif blink.gif We can now see that smaller crater below-right from far-wall crater...
Explorer1
It's almost time to say... Voila!
Stu
Oh... my...

Click to view attachment
MoreInput
.. god.

Fantastic!
Tesheiner
And the view will only improve!!! biggrin.gif
Stu, I think your picture confirms what I was thinking, which is that the far horizon we're seeing to the right of the mosaic is not the crater rim but the plains way after it. Here's my version of the mosaic (no contrast / gamma enhancements) and what I think is the rim.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

BTW, I'm just wondering how the view will be months later during martian winter and clearer skies...
Tesheiner
For thisol 2661, the "telemetry" shows Opportunity is 130m closer to CY. Now waiting for the pics...
jamescanvin
Yup. We should be very close to 'Approach crater' now. Much more of Endeavour's interior should be visible and Cape York could well be peaking over the horizon. Haven't been this excited since the Victoria approach!

Note don't expect any pancams, none were planned tosol.
Floyd
Can't tell too much from the rear hazcam, but check back in 5 1/2 hours for the navcams blink.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jul 20 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Note don't expect any pancams, none were planned tosol.

That's part of the thrill. wink.gif
fredk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 20 2011, 07:33 AM) *
the far horizon we're seeing to the right of the mosaic is not the crater rim but the plains way after it
Agreed.

As of the 2660 position (now completely out of date, hopefully!), I think we were starting to see features beyond AC. Here's my identification of a crater beyond AC:
Click to view attachment

We've only gotten hazcams for the 2661 drive (are we expecting navcams?). But even in hazcam, we can see that the horizon has dropped dramatically again! Compare the 2660 view:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2660
with the new 2661 view:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2661
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 20 2011, 04:05 PM) *
... are we expecting navcams? ...

Yep.

02661::p0673::03::6::0::0::6::0::12::navcam_3x1_az_126_3_bpp
02661::p1977::20::14::0::0::14::0::28::navcam_custompri_7x1_az_306_3_bpp

AND PANCAM TOO!!! Checked it right now! smile.gif

02661::p2366::28::6::0::0::6::2::14::pancam_drive_direction_3x1_L2R2
Sunspot
I presume those will come down next Sol?
Tesheiner
Or perhaps earlier, on the next update cycle of the exploratorium i.e. at 19:35 UTC.
marswiggle
While only of secondary interest, a peep into the so often mentioned 'Approach Crater' as seen from the orbit might be a good pastime before more interesting views. (In double size, anaglyph and x-eyed versions.) A tongue of dark sand can be seen as well as some layering in the crater walls.
cschmidt
For all of us quiet lurkers who have followed Oppy every meter and stand in awe of the discussions and creativity here, the excitement is palpable! This is going to be - is - awesome.
MoreInput
Here's a navcam:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...MLP0673L0M1.JPG

I think I can see the smaller crater after the Approach Crater.

Embedded image replaced with a link - ADMIN
Sunspot
grrr, one pancam image with bad data drop outs sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.