Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Conjunction: Santa Maria to Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Explorer1
My God... it's full of blueberries!
MoreInput
That's the real reason why Nasa wanted to go this way - we are connecting to the elder civilization on Mars now! Endeavour crater was just a false pretense!

This picture of the monolith is really a reference to 2001: In Kubrick's film the first humans used for the first time tools (the rotating bone) - and now we are with a really cool tool (a rover is just a tool) on Mars! A tool can extend our abilities to achieve some task much easier, or even impossible for us as humans alone, and now we are extending this ability to other planets. Wow!

<philosophic mode on/>
It is fascinating, how much the people can do with a tool, and they are continously learning more, how to use this tool: The first humans found out, how to use a bone as a tool. And our beloved rover team also just get still more out of this tool - by driving it backwards, peering under the belly with the microscope camera, make trenches with the wheels. I think thats an important part of human development - and we are part of it.
<philosophic mode off/>
Astro0
We've been down the monolith road before wink.gif
Here and here and here.

Now back on the road to Endeavour smile.gif
Tesheiner
This last sol 2614, Opportunity left the vicinity of Valdivia and Gumdrop on a long 140+ drive crossing the 30km mark.
As it is written on the newest and beautiful logo made by Astro0, that's "50 times beyond the mission distance goal". Think of it...
Pertinax
If I lived 50 times beyond my "mission distance goal" I'd die at roughly 4000 years old. Note quite Methuselah, but that is rather impressive!

(was doing a little happy dance this morning when I saw James' tweet regarding 144m on the last drive and realized we broke through 30kms)

-- Pertinax
djellison
For an average car manufacturers warranty to match, it would have to be something like a 140 year, 3 million mile guarantee.
Astro0
30kms is an amazing milestone.
For anyone interested here's the banner logo in a desktop variation.
Click to view attachment

Link to a hi-res version here 1.2mb
and large banner here 6.17mb
Tesheiner
The current report on the mission's website include this note (highlighted by me).
On Sol 2611 (May 29, 2011), the rover used the Microscopic Imager (MI) to collect an extensive mosaic of the exposed outcrop. Opportunity then conducted a MI poker test, which exhibited anomalous behavior the last time it was used. The test indicated positive switch trip on just one of three tries. The project is investigating this further.

Does anyone know what that means?
M@!
According to this site the MI Poker failed when investigating Ruiz Garcia.
Stu
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 2 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Does anyone know what that means?

I asked Scott. Paraphrased reply:

The MI poker is how the MI nominally finds the surface.
It's a thin rod attached to the MI with a contact switch on the rover
side; when it senses contact with a hard surface
you pull back a known distance and you're at the best-focus
position.

Tesheiner
Opportunity Passes Small Crater and Big Milestone

Nothing really new on this press release except for (yet) another unit of distance.

30km = "12 times the distance racehorses will run next week at the Belmont Stakes" laugh.gif
centsworth_II
According to the Google calculator, Opportunity has reached another milestone: 150 furlongs!
Click to view attachment
ngunn
Oo-aarh, that be still half a furlong to go by my reckoning (unless we've moved since the last map update).
MoreInput
Just some more drives, and oppy reaches it's first Pico-Parsec: 1 ppc = 30,856 km (if I calculated correctly)
(Distance to Alpha Centauri just a little longer way: 1,3 pc)
PDP8E
Moreinput,
Your math is accurate.
The distance to Alpha Centauri AB is 1.338 ± 0.002 pc (that's a lot of pico parts!)

Tesheiner
Wow! If I'm reading the data correctly, Opportunity drove almost 4h today for a total of 165m.
Map update will follow.
Stu
165m..?!?!?!

Spirit is pushing her on. I knew it. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Check the map. We are heading to (yet) another crater.
Since they are naming them upon exploration vessels/assets I would really like to see one of those being labelled "Spirit Crater".
Stu
Oh, please, Please, PLEASE let them name that big crater blasted out of the farside hills of Endeavour after Spirit, that would be just magnificent.
Hungry4info
QUOTE (MoreInput @ Jun 3 2011, 01:42 PM) *
...oppy reaches it's first Pico-Parsec: 1 ppc = 30,856 km (if I calculated correctly)
(emphasis mine)
So, is it that Opportunity has actually travelled a thousandth of a picoparsec? tongue.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 4 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Check the map. We are heading to (yet) another crater.

Another impressive drive - that must be 150 furlongs now. smile.gif This crater is the one I've been thinking could be 'Young Blocky'. Out of idle curiosity it would be nice to know if that's in fact the case. At any rate there should be some great images on the way.
fredk
An interesting tidbit in the latest MER update:
on Sol 2603... the rover performed a tank turn test. This is a maneuver where the rover drive one side or set of wheels forward while driving the other set of wheels on the other side in reverse to turn in place like a caterpillar or tank would. It's a way for the rover to turn without using the steering actuators.

While the tank turn test was successful and Opportunity achieved the desired turn in place, the maneuver actually puts more wear on the drive actuators, which are already operating beyond their guaranteed "lifetime" of revolutions, while the steering actuators are actually hundreds of thousands of revolutions under their "lifetime warranties;" thus, it's not likely to be employed soon.

I've wondered whether the new side-to-side "jig" on the blind part of the drives is putting stress on the steering actuators. This answers that - apparently they're in much better shape than the drive actuators.
Vultur
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jun 4 2011, 12:37 PM) *
(emphasis mine)
So, is it that Opportunity has actually travelled a thousandth of a picoparsec? tongue.gif

No, 1 picoparsec = 30856 m = 30.856 km. But some countries use the comma where many English-speaking countries use a decimal point.
Tesheiner
Here's our next waypoint in the route. Image taken on sol 2617.
Click to view attachment
Stu
...and in 3D...

Click to view attachment
marsophile
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 4 2011, 08:16 PM) *
... steering actuators. This answers that - apparently they're in much better shape than the drive actuators.

And yet it is the right front steering actuator that has failed on Oppy, not the drive actuator.
fredk
True. And yet they still decided to go ahead with all of the extra steering with the "jig" procedure (is there a proper name for this?)

Maybe another factor that goes into this is that a steering failure is not necessarily a really bad thing - as long as the wheel is pointing more or less straight ahead, we can still function, as the RF wheel shows. Does anyone know what the max steering angle is during the jig procedure?

In reality I'm sure it's a complicated decision process, weighing increased risk of steering failure against increased risk of some other failure since it would take longer to get to Endeavour without the jig procedure.
ElkGroveDan
Looks like every other small Meridiani crater. Has everyone used the restroom? Let's go.
ngunn
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 5 2011, 10:19 PM) *
Looks like every other small Meridiani crater. Has everyone used the restroom?

No. I've been on bus tours in places like this before. It's the damndest problem: not a bush in sight. I'm off to have a pee behind one of those blocks. You could take a picture of the bottom of the crater while you're waiting.
Stu
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 5 2011, 10:38 PM) *
I'm off to have a pee behind one of those blocks.

Oooh, not sure that's a good idea. Didn't you see that documentary, TOTAL RECALL? Remember what happened to Arnie's eyes? Just imagine what would happen to -

blink.gif laugh.gif

And hey, I like the crater stops. Just imagine how fascinating this bus trip would be if we didn't have the odd crater to look at every now and again. And remember, every crater was made by something falling out of the sky... something from Somewhere Else...

But you're right. What we need is another big shiny meteorite! tongue.gif

AndyG
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 5 2011, 11:46 PM) *
Just imagine how fascinating this bus trip would be if we didn't have the odd crater to look at every now and again.

Nah, Stu. We'd be fine. We'd just sing the theme tune to The Flintsones every now and again. laugh.gif

Andy
Bobby
Where on Mars was TOTAL RECALL filmed at and on Mars a future city would be like The Flinstone's city of Bedrock!!! laugh.gif
Stu
Wow... look how clear and detailed the hills on the horizon are...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2431L2M1.JPG

Can't wait for the view of the rest of the hills...! smile.gif
Sunspot
It cant be long before we see Cape York?
Stu
It'll be a good while yet, I think; CY is "under" the horizon as the land dips down into Endeavour crater, and CY isn't that high anyway, so we might not see it for another couple of km yet. I think there's a *chance* we *might* catch a glimpse of it in around 1.5km's time, but my money's on the oft-quoted estimate of "we won't see it until we're almost on top of it"...
Tesheiner
The 3x1 pancam mosaic.
Click to view attachment
MahFL
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 6 2011, 12:23 PM) *
Wow... look how clear and detailed the hills on the horizon are...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2431L2M1.JPG

Can't wait for the view of the rest of the hills...! smile.gif

I was looking at that earlier and was having the same thoughts.
Stu
3D view... pretty place...

Click to view attachment
BrianL
QUOTE (Bobby @ Jun 5 2011, 10:59 PM) *
Where on Mars was TOTAL RECALL filmed at laugh.gif

This reminds me of the time many years ago when we were sitting in a movie theatre and I overheard someone tell their companion that the reason why Total Recall was so expensive to make was the high cost of filming on Mars. rolleyes.gif
sgendreau
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci...0,1842971.story

"For Mars rovers, a friendly rivalry: NASA's newest Mars rover, Curiosity, will be deployed to the planet to study rocks that may shed light on whether life existed there. But its cousin Opportunity, which is already there, may steal its thunder."

Registration, if needed, is free; some entertaining quotes.

Tesheiner
Scott Maxwell tweeted: "What's better than driving a Mars rover? Driving a Mars rover with Paolo. Today, maybe ~ 100m with drive-by imaging of a crater for Matt G.".
jamescanvin
... But then tweeted later that the drive was off due to DSN problems
djellison
Tosol will thus be a runout, I presume...with the drive getting an uplink tomorrow.
Sunspot
Destination "Spirit Point"

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/news/mer20110608.html

That small crater could be an interesting target.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 8 2011, 07:46 PM) *
Destination "Spirit Point"
Fantastic! What a great memorial.

I'm glad it's not one of the craters passed on the way to Cape York named for Spirit but rather the landing spot on Cape York itself. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Great. Great! GREAT!!! biggrin.gif
The mission and the people behind it deserve this recognition.
Astro0
A small adjustment to this thread's subtitle. smile.gif
eoincampbell
Spirit points the way....
Lovely (naming) gesture and emotive target.
Oppy drivers - we're thinking of you...

lyford
Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye.....

ElkGroveDan
I've been crying too. Really wanted to head around the Northern tip of Cape York.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.