Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Conjunction: Santa Maria to Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Sunspot
There doesn't seem to be any kind of structure visible in those navcams of Cape York, yet the orbital images show it to have small peaks and bumps. Weird. huh.gif
MoreInput
I think the whole scenery is still dizzy. Maybe waiting for some rain to get a better view later..
fredk
Well, if you weren't sure what was Solander, this should clear it all up. Long baseline stereo from sols 2668 and 2671, in x-eyed and anaglyph format:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
blink.gif blink.gif smile.gif
brellis
My friends are all shaking their heads at me but dang, I'm so excited about this! thanks for the image work, everybody
Ant103
Mindblowing Fred ! Thanks for the crossed-eyes ph34r.gif
algorimancer
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 30 2011, 06:35 PM) *

Is that a cliff or crater rim showing just above the halfway point, on the right third of the image? Looks like a neat place to drive to some day smile.gif
walfy
Using ant's latest excellent panorama, I've circled some jumbled rocks that have come into view. A question for the map-masters: are these rocks a part of Spirit Point? According to Google Mars, Spirit Point is somewhere in this direction.
Click to view attachment

Or maybe they belong to the circled rocks here:
Click to view attachment

In any case, it seems like we should be looking right down on it by now!

thanks again for all the fine images everyone.
Steve G
How high is Cape York?

It doesn't look nearly as high as the HIRISE images suggest.
antipode
Is that a cliff or crater rim showing just above the halfway point, on the right third of the image? Looks like a neat place to drive to some day

This?

That looks like a yummy exposure. Bit of a climb though, and dont they want to go down the sequence? biggrin.gif

P
Ant103
Pancam anagyph of Sol 2671 :

We can see the deepness below the "horizon" toward Cape Tribulation.
jvandriel
Here is the Colourized version of the
Pancam L2 view on Sol 2671.

jan van driel

Click to view attachment

climber
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 31 2011, 02:35 AM) *
Well, if you weren't sure what was Solander, this should clear it all up.

Was Tribulation visible from Victoria? (In case we climb up there, I want to know whether we'll see Victoria again wink.gif )
climber
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 31 2011, 02:03 AM) *
(internet through 3G network, in the Alps, it can be a little bit random).

We'll wait you'll be back and I hope you'll be able at least to "see" the final approach/arrival. I spent 8 days around La Meije last month with NO network available at all...
Astro0
I've added a new version of Opportunity's journey to Endeavour Crater on Youtube covering sols 2553-2671 smile.gif
Too big to host here. Interesting to watch the scenery change.
Enjoy
Bobby
That's Awesome Astro0. Watched it more then a few times. From what I can see. Cape York has surprised us all and is actually below the Craters Edge and is probably harder material that did not get blown out from the impact that took place. I just want to get to the edge of the crater and see what Cape York really is and it now looks like we are going to have to drive down into the crater to investigate it instead of climbing a hill? From what I can see the angle of the drop into Endurance is not much. Thanks to all the image experts here. smile.gif
Stu
It's not a surprise; we've known for ages now that CY is on the inner slope of Endeavour, the only question has been how high it rose above the surface, really. We'll see soon!
fredk
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Jul 31 2011, 02:01 AM) *
Is that a cliff or crater rim
I think a crater and a sharp ridge. Check out the identification here.

QUOTE (climber @ Jul 31 2011, 12:23 PM) *
Was Tribulation visible from Victoria?
I think we could only see the north rim "twin peaks" and the far rim (east rim) peak - the one with the "cyclops" crater. So we may have to wait till we complete half our circumnavigation of Endeavour and climb that far rim peak to see Victoria again! laugh.gif wink.gif
Stu
Portrait of the Tribulation Range...

Click to view attachment
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jul 31 2011, 04:31 AM) *
I've added a new version of Opportunity's journey to Endeavour Crater on Youtube covering sols 2553-2671 smile.gif
Too big to host here. Interesting to watch the scenery change.
Enjoy

Excellent work. Love it.

As you might know, Paolo Belutta (rover planner) has been creating a "Endeavour Movie" -- we take a low-res navcam after each and every drive in the direction of Endeavour, and he's going to put them all a movie-like form, much like your video. I think there's going to be some extra goodies in there, but I haven't asked him. It'll prove to be a beauty.

-m
marsophile
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 31 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Portrait of the Tribulation Range...

Those dark areas on the left suggest the spherules might go part way up the hill.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (marsophile @ Jul 31 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Those dark areas on the left suggest the spherules might go part way up the hill.
It will be interesting to see if the highest point which hematite spherule-containing sediments reached on the rim before they began eroding away can be determined.
Stu
New colourisation...

Click to view attachment
MoreInput
wonderful. Just want to drive up Cape Trib and make a 370 degree super hirise panorama ...
brellis
Looks like a smoggy day in the Endeavour Basin tosol smile.gif
Stu
Localised dust event tongue.gif
fredk
QUOTE (MoreInput @ Jul 31 2011, 08:20 PM) *
drive up Cape Trib and make a 370 degree super hirise panorama
And you know Oppy will give 110% as she does that! laugh.gif
ilbasso
QUOTE (MoreInput @ Jul 31 2011, 04:20 PM) *
wonderful. Just want to drive up Cape Trib and make a 370 degree super hirise panorama ...

At 370 degrees, it will be a super-pan! rolleyes.gif
marsophile
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 31 2011, 11:34 AM) *
I...the highest point which hematite spherule-containing sediments reached on the rim ...

Curiously, the dark area boundary does not appear to be an equipotential line.
Phil Stooke
Later landslides would mess up that line anyway.

Phil
Astro0
QUOTE (Matt Lenda @ Aug 1 2011, 03:52 AM) *
As you might know, Paolo Belutta (rover planner) has been creating a "Endeavour Movie" -- we take a low-res navcam after each and every drive...

Thanks Matt.

Yep, I knew that Paolo had arranged for that sequence (#1994 was it?!) to be taken.
I think that more than a few of us are looking forward to seeing it completed and I bet that there might be one or two of us that will try to beat him to it of course, in our usual friendly UMSF way wink.gif
ustrax
Who would say hey?
Let me have it! let me have it! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
dilo
blink.gif Hey, I would like to climb there... fantastic, Ustrax!!!
Pertinax
Reiterating the proverb that hindsight is 20/20: a pronounced hint that Cape York's elevation profile was, shall we say subdued, lay in James' "Ripple Map". Note the the more pronounced topo features (the crater north of CY and Cape Trib to the south) produce an increase in dune coverage / magnitude down mean-wind of themselves, while such a feature is lacking with CY.

Wish I'd though of that sooner! rolleyes.gif

-- Pertinax
MoreInput
Music to my ears:
From Scott's twitter account: "Looks like we'll pull up at Spirit Point at Cape York (our chosen landfall point at Endeavour Crater) on Friday's (weekend) drive!"
Maybe we are there yet, soon. Maybe...
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (brellis @ Jul 31 2011, 12:45 PM) *
Looks like a smoggy day in the Endeavour Basin tosol smile.gif

Yeah, Tau is way up...
fredk
Are you able to provide numbers, Matt? The latest update says we had tau = 1.01 on 2668, but the latest (2671) pancams do look hazier than 2668.
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 1 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Are you able to provide numbers, Matt? The latest update says we had tau = 1.01 on 2668, but the latest (2671) pancams do look hazier than 2668.

Ehhhhhhhhh.... 1.1? I don't know anything but that it's up from Friday's planning.

It's been pretty noisy.
Deimos
Yeah, 1.11 the last two sols, compared to bouncing between 0.9 and 1 most of last week. It's been quite variable, mostly between 0.8 and 1.1 lately. Within 3-6 weeks the variability should decline and a slow and steady drop should commence. And eventually, some of the residual opacity of 0.4-0.5 will be high-altitude clouds that don't impact viz.

Also, a little dust confined to the boundary layer (from nearby lifting, say) can be as bad for viz as a lot of dust distributed through the atmosphere.
Stu
Had a play about with a couple of the MIs that are available now...

Click to view attachment

...and I couldn't help thinking of the contrast...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
Pertinax
QUOTE (Deimos @ Aug 1 2011, 04:25 PM) *
Yeah, 1.11 the last two sols, compared to bouncing between 0.9 and 1 most of last week. It's been quite variable, mostly between 0.8 and 1.1 lately. [...] Also, a little dust confined to the boundary layer (from nearby lifting, say) can be as bad for viz as a lot of dust distributed through the atmosphere.

Thank you Deimos. Would an assumption that most of the current variability in tau is mostly related to variation within the BL be fair? I've been thinking about that recently and your post opened the door to ask! smile.gif

Within 3-6 weeks the variability should decline and a slow and steady drop should commence. And eventually, some of the residual opacity of 0.4-0.5 will be high-altitude clouds that don't impact viz.

Would the time period spent integrating the MB at Cape York be one during which cloud obs would have a decent chance for being fruitful?

Thank you again for your time,

Pertinax
neo56
@Stu : Very nice comparison of different scale of size !
MoreInput
Where is Oppy looking at ? Navcam of Sol 2670
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...UIP1977L0M1.JPG
fredk
South. That's a bit of Tribulation on the left.
MoreInput
Cape Trib the last three sols.
Stu
Stitched together a few HiRISE zoom-ins and dropped virtual Oppys onto them to show how big the features and landmarks up ahead are compared to our gal...

http://roadtoendeavour.files.wordpress.com...t-plus-oppy.jpg

Note: the "route" is purely for fun, not suggesting that is the route Oppy will take.
MoreInput
Will Oppy make so many turns and curves? Or just drive along a "We brake for nobody"-line right to Spirit Point ? We will see, soon biggrin.gif
Deimos
QUOTE (Pertinax @ Aug 2 2011, 02:40 AM) *
Would an assumption that most of the current variability in tau is mostly related to variation within the BL be fair?

Could go either way in principle--I'd favor the BL at Gusev. The images suggest that is true. Despite that, the dust still increases with height (the principal source is a storm track thousands of km away). If we had tau=1.15 (the new value) well-mixed, the far rim would be even murkier. For dust perfectly mixed through the whole atmosphere, the opacity across the crater would be about twice the measured (zenith) value on any given sol. I wonder if visibility might get worse before it gets better, even as the dust settles. We'll be testing that, of course.

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Aug 2 2011, 02:40 AM) *
Would the time period spent integrating the MB at Cape York be one during which cloud obs would have a decent chance for being fruitful?

Yes. It has been the norm to get more cloud images & movies during the aphelion months.
Toma B
Opportunity drove some 120 meters today; almost straight down toward Botany Bay. There should be HOAV here.
Maybe MER team shold consider taking some time to snap at least one quick 180 degrees L257 panorama of Endeavour. Just one line of images covering horizon.
Bobby
I feel the same way about that Image Fred K.

Oppy has moved from the Flat Midwest Region and is now entering The Rocky Mountains and Grand Canyon area.

This is going to get real scenic, interesting and what's new around the next corner.

I see us spending a lot of time at Cape York area and then driving south to climb a mountain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.