Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Conjunction: Santa Maria to Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
fredk
Positioning for RAT work?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2608

Edit: Looks like it. From the latest update:
The science team has spied an outcrop ahead to perform some brief in situ (contact) science... The plan is to briefly examine this outcrop before moving on.
ElkGroveDan
It looks like Opportunity is auditioning for Mystery Science Theater.

SFJCody
Am I right in thinking they've passed the 30km mark?
Tesheiner
Not yet. This last move was quite small, only 0.5m, and there are still 90m to go before reaching the 30km mark.
Stu
This could be the target area...

Click to view attachment
Sunspot
looks like it has those indents left by eroded crystals
djellison
Yup - looks quite Vuggy.
Stu
QUOTE (djellison @ May 27 2011, 04:14 PM) *
Yup - looks quite Vuggy.

Even more so in enhanced-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life 3D...

http://twitpic.com/538jcg/full

laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
I'm on the verge of getting a new dog. That sounds like a good name -- Vuggy.
MoreInput
Oh, cool, bluesberries ... still found after 7 years wink.gif
Stu
Every image - even if it shows things we've seen before - is a gift, MI, especially now we're a rover down. smile.gif
Stu
Animation of sunset, Sol 2597 (Sun May 15th...)

Click to view attachment
machi
Very nice!
I'm looking forward to raw images!
fredk
QUOTE (Stu @ May 15 2011, 07:30 AM) *
I would have liked a closer look at this strange little 'un...

You got it, Stu. Some pancams returned today from the ejecta field around Skylab:
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
I'm glad to see this sequence of pancams to finally start coming down. The rock with what appeared to be interesting laminations is a little further to the right of that image, but only 2 of 8 images have come down so far.

I am curious about the 8x1 Skylab panorama. There should be 4 filters (L257R2) times 8 images, or 32 full frame images in all. Why is the pancam site counting only 26?

CODE
Sol   Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
----- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
02595 p2418.27 26   0   0   26   2   54   pancam_skylab_8x1_L257R2
Stu
QUOTE (fredk @ May 28 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Some pancams returned today from the ejecta field around Skylab:

Wow, well spotted Fred, I would never have found those if you hadn't pointed them out...

Had a bit of a clean-up... this is...was...a pretty stunning collection of rocks...

http://twitpic.com/53sh8l/full
jamescanvin
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 28 2011, 08:02 PM) *
I am curious about the 8x1 Skylab panorama. There should be 4 filters (L257R2) times 8 images, or 32 full frame images in all. Why is the pancam site counting only 26?

Looking at the stamps it looks like only 5 of the images were taken in colour the other 3 were just L2/R2. Looks like the colour bit covers all the actual crater though.

Here are the colour mosiacs taken of the Mercury Cluster.

Sigma 7

Friendship 7

Freedom 7

All images link to same blog entry

James
Robert S
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 27 2011, 05:05 AM) *
It looks like Opportunity is auditioning for Mystery Science Theater.

LOL
Nirgal
thank you James.
brilliant color balancing again !
I espacially like that Sigma-7 image whose colors have exacty the "Mars-like-reddish" hue that I exepct it to really look like smile.gif
fredk
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 14 2011, 04:42 AM) *
There are some very interesting laminations in an ejecta fragment (see arrows) in this navcam from sol 2594. I really hope it is imaged by the pancams before Oppy leaves this area.

Here you go, Rocker:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M1.JPG?sol2595
And an anaglyph version:
Click to view attachment
walfy
A nice dune among rocks:

Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
Thanks, fredk. It helps a lot to see that rock in 3D. smile.gif
It doesn't look nearly as convoluted as it did in the navcams.
brellis
A recent Mars Daily article has a picture captioned "Opportunity makes tracks". What causes the pattern of short imprints to the sides? Did she really stop and turn a dozen times at such regular intervals?
Hungry4info
It's been discussed on this forum multiple times.

here for example.
brellis
Thanks, H4I. Autonav produces an interesting 'footprint'!
tdemko
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 29 2011, 11:50 PM) *
It doesn't look nearly as convoluted as it did in the navcams.

That set of rocks exhibits a lot of small-scale trough cross-bedding and ripple cross-lamination. The rock you and fredk are talking about looks like it has rib-and-furrow structure, which is a horizontal section through those types of cross bedding. Here are some terrestrial examples:

rib-and-furrow

rib-and-furrow

rib-and-furrow
Stu
Oh, very funny, chopping the tops of the hills off like that when we're all panting to make new colour pics of them...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2421L5M1.JPG

rolleyes.gif
Stu
Mosaic of Valdivia MI's...

Click to view attachment

Full size: http://twitpic.com/54oyir
elakdawalla
Wow, that's a very funky texture!
nprev
I agree, Emily. smile.gif Could you please put on your geologist hat & do some (informal, of course) instant science? This doesn't look like your garden-variety vuggy surface to me; seems like the substrate is slightly more solid then what we've seen before.
jamescanvin
Skylab crater

Sunspot
What would these crystals look like if they were still in place in the rock?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Stu @ May 30 2011, 02:47 PM) *
Oh, very funny, chopping the tops of the hills off like that when we're all panting to make new colour pics of them...

I believe that is what is referred to on 'teh internets' as FAIL! wink.gif

Anyway, it's still worth stitching:

Stu
3D view of Valdivia's funky textured ( © E Lakdawalla 2011 ) surface...

http://twitpic.com/54r38v/full
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 30 2011, 02:44 PM) *
What would these crystals look like if they were still in place in the rock?

I have no idea if the missing crystals were gypsum,
but these crystals with matrix removed do
look like they would fit nicely into the Meridiani specimen
of matrix with crystals removed.
Click to view attachment
Gypsum, without associated rock matrix.
Size: 5 1/4" wide, 3 3/4" high, 3" thick.
http://www.minresco.com/special/spec3.htm
Sunspot
mmm interesting.

I thought they might have looked sparkly and gem like blink.gif
centsworth_II
More examples of gypsum crystals that look like they would fit nicely into the Meridiani vugs.
Click to view attachment
ngunn
That's very good centsworth. I don't know if it pins down the mineral because I don't know if there are other minerals that do similar things in sandy environments with who-knows-what chemistry, but I think you've highlighted a very plausible general explanation.
Stu
Can I just say how much I love this place? A picture gets posted, people look at it, suggest explanations and theories, hunt down pics of their own, post them, the discussion moves on...

biggrin.gif

CosmicRocker
Every time I see these vugs I am struck by how similar they appear compared to the ice crystals in mud I often saw in the winter in the midwest. From what I have read, sulphate crystals seem to be the top contender for the formation of these vugs, though. By the way, there is a free electronic book about fossil ice crystals that contains some photos and sketches that look very much like the vug patterns in these rocks.

I can't help but wonder how the team targeted this outcrop. There is no way they could have seen the vugs from any distance, but it seems that they knew exactly what they were going for before Opportunity got there.

When we first saw these vugs I was hoping that the MIs would show them filled with some hydrated sulfate mineral. That would have been an interesting way to discover the polyhydrated sulfates that are supposed to appear as we approach Endeavour.
ElkGroveDan
As a former beach bum they remind me of seagull footprints in the sand.
djellison
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 30 2011, 10:04 PM) *
I can't help but wonder how the team targeted this outcrop.

Easy - use the last two drives before the Memorial Day weekend to arrive at the 'next' piece of outcrop. Stop. Do science for 3 days.

fredk
I'm guessing this means that all (or most) of the outcrops around here have similar vugs. I don't think they somehow honed in on the only one that had vugs.
jamescanvin
Gumdrop Crater

James
sgendreau

Awwwwwww. It's cute.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (fredk @ May 31 2011, 01:59 PM) *
I'm guessing this means that all (or most) of the outcrops around here have similar vugs. I don't think they somehow honed in on the only one that had vugs.

In retrospect, I think that is the only explanation that makes sense. My comment was prompted by the earlier rover update that stated that they had seen an outcrop 40 meters ahead upon which they intended to do some in situ work.

Opportunity Mission Update
The science team has spied an outcrop ahead to perform some brief in situ (contact) science. Opportunity moved a modest 41 meters (135 feet) to the east/southeast as the approach to this outcrop. The plan is to briefly examine this outcrop before moving on.

QUOTE (djellison @ May 31 2011, 10:29 AM) *
Easy - use the last two drives before the Memorial Day weekend to arrive at the 'next' piece of outcrop. Stop. Do science for 3 days.

I hadn't thought about that, but undoubtedly the holiday weekend had a lot to do with it.
eoincampbell
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 31 2011, 11:45 AM) *
Gumdrop Crater...

Great color renders of late, it's like we're re-united with your filters again cool.gif
kenny
With the precedent of Skylab, I'm assuming Gumdrop is also named after a manned spacecraft -- the Command Module half of Apollo 9.
fredk
Monolith on our tail:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2608
wink.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.