Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post Conjunction: Santa Maria to Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
MoreInput
Yes, I also would really like to see that channel at the north tip of Cape York.
But I want to see how this Cape York will look like, after all these years now ...
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 9 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Nice move -- executing two turns across ejecta rays as part of one long drive.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 9 2011, 12:39 PM) *
I've been crying too. Really wanted to head around the Northern tip of Cape York.
Who knows, maybe the driving will be so easy along the East side of Cape York that they will make it up there. laugh.gif
lyford
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jun 9 2011, 02:47 PM) *
Who knows, maybe the driving will be so easy along the East side of Cape York that they will make it up there. laugh.gif

We'll be counting laps around Endeavor eventually! Dream big! smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
Meanwhile, sol 2622 images are down. Someone seems to have dropped a mountain in her path. Holy smokes where did that come from?
MahFL
Is Oppy driving to the high point we see, then turning right ?
ElkGroveDan
Actually that is not the drive direction, my fault for wording my comment the way I did.. "Spirit Point" her first destination at Endeavor Crater is to the North, or left of this image. Hopefully we'll have enough images for a drive direction pan in the next day or so.
Stu
Click to view attachment

Oppy is following the purple line towards Cape York. The hills visible so strikingly in the latest images are the ones ringed in red.

Edit:

Quickmessaboutwith...

Click to view attachment
fredk
The new view of Cape Tribulation blew me away, too. In fact, I think it deserves one of my "poor man's superres" treatments. Here's the 2x zoomed, registered, average of all four L2/R2 frames on sols 2621 and 2622, to reduce jpeg noise:
Click to view attachment
I've also tried to ID various features. Here's my best stab:
Click to view attachment
marswiggle
A rare possibility for a long(ish) baseline 3D occurred between sols 2621/2622. Here, the R pancam images of Cape Trib from those sols are partly combined into an anaglyph, 3 x stretched so as to accentuate the topography.

Notes: I think I can see two different parts of the rim just to the left of CT, first in the foreground only barely above the horizon, tops of the lower hills north of CT, and secondly straight behind them and reaching higher, a part of the southwestern rim, which is probably visible now for the first time unless I am mistaken. In the farther background the mighty Iazu is again showing itself.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 10 2011, 01:46 PM) *
...average of all four L2/R2 frames on sols 2621 and 2622, to reduce jpeg noise:
...results in a nice watercolor paper texture. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
brellis
If she could get going fast enough, maybe she could do a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang over Endeavour! smile.gif
eoincampbell
Thanks everyone for the thrilling views, eyes ahead, the view is unfolding ...
dilo
Imagine how nice would be if, after exploration at Spirit Point, Opportunity will climb on top of Cape Tribulation in order to have, for the first time, a panoramic view of Meridiani plain... rolleyes.gif
jvandriel
The panoramic view on Sol 2622

taken with the L2 pancam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

ElkGroveDan
Probably nothing, but..... looking at a pancam image from 2621 a 10x stretch reveals two little peaks roughly in the direction of Cape York. But then again they might also be Moby Dick's tail.
fredk
That was the "beacon" crater/"cape approach crater" that we talked about a while ago - see this post onwards.
ngunn
A stray thought . . Having recently passed by some craters named after Mercury spacecraft and another called Gemini we now (as anticipated by Stu) seem to be making a beeline for quite a rich cluster of craters. There seem to be about seventeen of them. Mmm.
kenny
Nice thought, but there weren't 17 Apollos as there was a lot of muddle at the start and numbers began again at 4, missing out 2 and 3. We've already had one Apollo craft name, Gumdrop, the Command Module from Apollo 9. I told Rusty... smile.gif
Stu
3D view of "Crater Cluster"...

Click to view attachment

...and to show how big this cluster is compared to Oppy herself...

Click to view attachment

Too many pix to post here, but I've written up a kind of "Road Ahead" travelogue on my blog here...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2011/...r-monster-drive

..if anyone would like to drop by and take a look. smile.gif
Poolio
QUOTE (kenny @ Jun 12 2011, 06:43 AM) *
We've already had one Apollo craft name, Gumdrop, the Command Module from Apollo 9.

Yes, and we had Yankee Clipper and Intrepid shortly before arriving at Santa Maria. Plus we can't forget that the very first crater we saw was named Eagle. And although it wasn't a direct Apollo reference, Endeavour was the name of the Apollo 15 CSM.

Personally though I think it would be great to have a crater named "Snoopy".
Floyd
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 7 2011, 04:41 PM) *
Scott Maxwell tweeted: "What's better than driving a Mars rover? Driving a Mars rover with Paolo. Today, maybe ~ 100m with drive-by imaging of a crater for Matt G.".

Anyone know if they got the drive-by images. If they did, must be lower priority than dirve direction images.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 12 2011, 05:10 AM) *
3D view of "Crater Cluster"...

Looks like a corduroy jacket with cigarette burns.
ngunn
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jun 12 2011, 10:21 PM) *
Anyone know if they got the drive-by images.

That's the question I've been holding off asking all day because I don't like to sound impatient laugh.gif .

I think they must have, but I don't know. I want to see the southern horizon.

jamescanvin
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jun 12 2011, 10:21 PM) *
Anyone know if they got the drive-by images. If they did, must be lower priority than dirve direction images.

Yes, they were taken (Don't expect anything spectacular though, a single colour pancan of a 'ray' and some navcams)

And yes, images like this always have a much lower priority, drive images are needed right away to plan the next drive, science ones can sometimes take weeks to make it down.
ngunn
James, you obviously know exactly what to expect. Can you point us to the source of that information?
centsworth_II
It's interesting to note that from "crater cluster" to Spirit Point, Opportunity has about the same distance to traverse as Spirit did on its trek from Bonneville Crater to West Spur in the Columbia Hills. Who could have known such a comparison could be made seven years later!
Click to view attachment
Source maps:
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/tm-spiri...rit-sol517.html
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=173814
ElkGroveDan
... or viewed in the context of "almost there."
djellison
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 12 2011, 03:29 PM) *
James, you obviously know exactly what to expect. Can you point us to the source of that information?

The Pancam tracking database holds that information. What's planned. What's taken. What's yet to be transmitted. What's received.

My advice would be to just enjoy the results of those who know where it is and how to use it. It's hard to use, slow, and a very constrained resource.
ngunn
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 13 2011, 07:08 AM) *
advice

Taken! smile.gif
Floyd
Thanks for the information James--as expected on priority.
jamescanvin
Yes, as Doug says the information is from the tracking site which is a massively useful resource (map making, MMB metadata, thumbnail images, planned sequences, etc.) and as such the last thing we want to do is overuse it hand have it closed off.

For those of you who don't know, over recent weeks I've started posting a daily tweet summarizing what Oppy is up to based largely on the tracking data. So even less reason for others to need to query the database themselves. smile.gif

http://twitter.com/nivnac

James
fredk
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jun 12 2011, 09:21 PM) *
Anyone know if they got the drive-by images.

Some navcams are now down:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2621
charborob
Gemini 5 crater navcam panorama:
Click to view attachment
antoniseb
Full inline quote removed. You've been here > half a decade - you should know better - ADMIN

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing such clear images showing that the rocks excavated by the crater formation landed after the dune formation... and that the dunes haven't substantially moved since then.
ngunn
That panorama deserves a special round of applause. Well done rover team! The beckoning distant crater rim hills and the dramatic foreground action in one view - superb. And thanks charborob for the nice mosaic work.

("some navcams" - James, you under-sold it. smile.gif smile.gif)
marsophile
I'm wondering about the timing for exploration of the clay deposits on the southern slopes of Cape York. Oppy might be hard-pressed to achieve a North-facing or even level orientation for the solar panels once it is on those slopes. We might have to be content with the hydrated sulfate areas until the next Martian Spring. That would make it a real horse-race with MSL to be the first to reach phyllosilicates.
fredk
I like the look of that status bar!
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...ty-sol2624.html
brellis
Thrilling, once again! How clearly do we already know the contents of what's underfoot as she traverses the area? Will there, for example, be an early right or left turn based on what is found at Spirit Point?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 13 2011, 09:58 PM) *
("some navcams" - James, you under-sold it. smile.gif smile.gif)

Indeed, that's a much nicer view than I was expecting. smile.gif Shame there wasn't a pancam mosaic, but no time for that, Spirit Point beckons...
KrisK
From Opportunity update:
On Sol 2616 (June 3, 2011), Opportunity set a new one-sol backwards driving distance record with a drive exceeding 165 meters (541 feet).

but when looking at this map:
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 14 2011, 05:39 AM) *

There is a 165.4m on last drive. Does it mean that Sol 2624 is now new backwards driving record Sol?

Anyway another 120-140m soon to come: http://twitter.com/#!/marsroverdriver/...509680526438400
MahFL
Wow 165 meters. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (KrisK @ Jun 14 2011, 01:30 PM) *
Anyway another 120-140m soon to come: http://twitter.com/#!/marsroverdriver/...509680526438400

Executed thisol and the images are on the net. One more drive and we are at the crater cluster.
Sunspot
How much lower is the base of Cape York compared to the rovers current location? It still seems weird we can't see any obvioius sign of it.
Stu
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 14 2011, 11:24 PM) *
It still seems weird we can't see any obvioius sign of it.

Not really; I think I'm right in saying that it's pretty much been agreed that CY is going to be hidden from us until we're almost on top of it, because it's more like a ledge sticking out of the inner slope of Endeavour's western wall than a peak on the wall itself. So we will need to get to a higher point in the landscape, I reckon 1.5km or so ahead, before we can start to see CY by looking down onto it.
ngunn
Just to add: I think we saw more of the far rim of Endeavour from our higher vantage point near Concepcion than we do now. Until we see all that again, and more, we can't expect our destination to come into view. We're just crouched too low - and descending. Stu is right. The revelation will happen when the ground starts curving downward again and that may not be for a while. But at the current rate of progress it won't take too long. smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 14 2011, 05:32 PM) *
....it's more like a ledge sticking out of the inner slope of Endeavour's western wall than a peak on the wall itself....
If Cape York were a ledge off the wall, wouldn't a peak be evident to the West of Cape York?
Is there reason to think that Cape York is not a rim peak in its own right?
brellis
Good time to reread Emily's excellent blog article on elevation via MGS's MOLA: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002638/ smile.gif

This quick screen grab might suggest we'll see CY sooner rather than later?

(edit: it's soo much fun flying around on Mars!!)
eoincampbell
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jun 14 2011, 05:07 PM) *
If Cape York were a ledge off the wall, wouldn't a peak be evident to the West of Cape York?
Is there reason to think that Cape York is not a rim peak in its own right?

Is CY a well-eroded formerly considerable peak?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Jun 14 2011, 10:19 PM) *
Is CY a well-eroded formerly considerable peak?
Cape York may have been protected from erosion until recent geologic times by a blanket of sulphate layers that are just now being removed to reveal more of Endeavours' rim. I wonder if there was ever a time that the entire rim of Endeavour was covered or if the higher parts of the rim have been exposed to the elements since their formation close to four billion years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.