Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jezero Delta Campaign, Sols 414-1000
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 708 W-N
© NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/ASU/NeV-T

Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 708

Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 702

Gigapan Website
My Website
scalbers
More of a new landscape with the Sol 713 panorama including a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info. Kodiak Butte is just barely visible now.

Click to view attachment

Here is an extended drive animation from Sol 394 to the present.
Phil Stooke
Yes indeed. Up over the ridge and into a different landscape.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another nice drive by Perseverance rover on sol 715.
Horizontal drive distance was reported as 190.64 meters, with a climb of 3.5 meters to site 34/0
Here's one of the end-of-drive tiled NavCams, roughly assembled in MS-ICE and very roughly de-greened etc. Also attached is an annotated screen capture of the mission map, & the drive data (assembled from JSON data)
At this time there are only a few end-of-drive NavCam images from the drives on sol 714 and 715. I'm not sure if the backlog of images is related to the deep valley / channel the rover is traversing through, or if there are other issues I'm not aware of.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 707
Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 708
Gigapan Website
My Website
scalbers
Sol 714 panorama including a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info.

Click to view attachment

Sol 715 panorama with a large version.

Click to view attachment
scalbers
Sol 716 panorama with a large version.

Click to view attachment

Phil Stooke
Very nice! Thanks. Here is sol 714 in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And the same from Steve's panorama for sol 715.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And the same for sol 716. Thanks to Paul and Steve.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scalbers
This image from Sol 717 seems to show the restoration of an improved line of sight to Kodiak Butte (behind the wheel tracks). We'll see if this is confirmed with the mosaics.

Click to view attachment

EDIT: turns out instead to be another smaller butte located ENE of the Sol 714 location.
PaulH51
Perseverance continued its climb up the slopes of the delta with another drive on Sol 717 arriving at site: 34/2098. Still awaiting official distance / map etc, but the estimated point-to-point drive distance is around 200 meters, with a climb of about 6 meters. The post-drive tiled NavCams were acquired one sol later on sol 718.

I have roughly assembled / processed one of the available tiled NavCams. At it's new location the rover is stationed roughly 300 meters from where Ingenuity landed after flight #45. If it has not completed flight #46 yet, it should be visible from the rover, but at this distance it would just be a few pixels wide in these NavCams.

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 707
Gigapan Website
My Website
scalbers
Sol 717 drive panorama with a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info. The images are actually mid-day on Sol 718.

Click to view attachment

Gladstoner
Perseverance and Ingenuity have arrived in the vicinity of some well-exposed point-bar deposits (Sol 719):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gladstoner
Sol 719. The path traveled:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
The sol 717 panorama by Steve in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 711

FULL SIZE IMAGE DOWNLOAD- 724MB .TIF

Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 695-N
Gigapan Website
My Website
tau
Sol 712 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with sol 711 Mastcam-Z context and sol 709 Navcam context

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 712 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic no. 2 with sol 710 Mastcam-Z context and sol 709 Navcam context

scalbers
Sol 719 drive panorama with a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info. Ingenuity is visible in this mosaic to the west as pointed out by Paul with the NavCam image. There is another drive between Sols 717 and 719 with imagery from which a mosaic will be forthcoming.

Click to view attachment

Gladstoner
Sol 721. Follow the yellow brick road...

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Rather nice Workspace after the drive on sol 721 to site 34/5120
2x2 tiled NavCam roughly assembled in MS-ICE
Screenshot of the map that shows the path of the drive around the small TARs
Drive data from JPLs JSON URLs
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 715 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Navcam context

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 716 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z context

tau
Sol 716 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z context

neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 710
Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 710-E
Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 713-N
Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 714-W
Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 715 N-E
Gigapan Website
My Website
Phil Stooke
Steve's panorama for sol 719 (end of drive) in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scalbers
Looks good Phil. I suspect we might be seeing the rim(s) Belva to the NW (upper left) and farther the Jezero crater rim.
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Steve.

For today's view (sol 721) I have used a new source of panoramas, Simeon Schmauß:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/semeion/

My reprojection seems to be covered by the licence ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ )

I did what I usually do here: stretch the vertical scale for distant features and shrink the foreground, giving an effect a bit like a stereographic projection. Make a polar projection of that modified cylindrical projection, and where necessary enhance contrast.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 716-W
Gigapan Website
My Website
Phil Stooke
For a very interesting look ahead, here is a presentation from the MEPAG meeting in October last year:

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/mepag/meetings/mep...EPAG_Farley.pdf

Phil
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 716-717-E
Gigapan Website
My Website
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 717-W
Gigapan Website
My Website
scalbers
Sol 718 drive panorama (Site 34 / Drive 3196) with a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info. The images are actually mid-day on Sol 719. This fills in a gap in my previous posts between Sols 717 and 719.

Click to view attachment
scalbers
Sol 721 drive panorama with a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info. This time the direction of motion is to the SSW.

Click to view attachment

Here is an extended drive animation from Sol 394 to the present. Stepping between the end & beginning of the animation from Sol 721 to 394 it looks like some common features of Jezero's rim are visible to the west. Stepping between Sols 719 and 721 the differing sideways shift of near and far rims of Belva seem to be visible in the relative foreground to the NW.
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 3 2023, 11:50 PM) *
For a very interesting look ahead, here is a presentation from the MEPAG meeting in October last year:
Phil

Thank you very much Phil for sharing this interesting document.
I really hope that the Perseverance Team will get a sneak peek view inside Belva Crater and will take also a 360° panorama showing the impressive view we should have from its rim!
smile.gif
Phil Stooke
This is a circular pan made from Steve's cylindrical panorama for sol 718 (Steve's date, but Paul called it the mid-point of sol 719, and the JPL map says 718 but puts it in the middle of the 719 drive when you check the distances). I personally think Paul is correct but can't be certain.

Why take mid-point images? The drive was 415 m long, which is a record distance for a single drive. The images may be a chance to check the navigation data for the drive.

I did use one of Paul's original images to patch a bit of the panorama where the horizon was offset.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 5 2023, 03:53 PM) *
This is a circular pan made from Steve's cylindrical panorama for sol 718 (Steve's date, but Paul called it the mid-point of sol 719, and the JPL map says 718 but puts it in the middle of the 719 drive when you check the distances). I personally think Paul is correct but can't be certain.

Why take mid-point images? The drive was 415 m long, which is a record distance for a single drive. The images may be a chance to check the navigation data for the drive.

I did use one of Paul's original images to patch a bit of the panorama where the horizon was offset.

Phil

Phil,

I've had a look at this and I'm not 100% sure, but I / we could be getting confused by image sets being acquired the day after the actual drive, and possibly a double entry in JSON & GeoJSON.

Using the Map, JSON URL and the site/drive data on the images, I observe the following:-

There was a reported drive of 216 meters on Sol 717, that drive ended at site 34/2098, but no end-of-drive tiled-NavCams were acquired on that sol. The tiled NavCams for site 34/2098 were only acquired around noon the next sol (Sol 718)

There was a reported drive of 207 meters on Sol 718 , that drive ended at site 34/3196, but no end-of-drive tiled NavCams were acquired on that sol. The tiled NavCams for site 34/3196 were only acquired around 11am the next sol (Sol 719)

There was a reported drive of 415 meters on Sol 719, that drive ended at 34/4394, tiled-NavCams were acquired.

So we had 2 sets of NavCams acquired on Sol 719: 34/3196 & 34/4394

Checking the map & JSON, I think there could be an error that may have initiated by a multisol drive.

The point-to-point distance between map markers for 717 to 718 is ~196m, the p-t-p between 718 to 719 is ~210m, not the >415 meters in JSON and GeoJSON.

One possible explanation is the drives on 718 and 719 may have been executed as a multisol drive. If the drive on sol 718 was to be readjusted to 0 meters in JSON and GeoJSON, and the drive for Sol 719 remained at 415m it could work.

It'll take another set of eyes to look at this and see if you concur.

Click to view attachment

scalbers
Yes - I would concur with the point-to-point distances from the map being reasonable with a uniform ballpark 200m movement each drive, judging from the changes in the landscape in the mosaics.
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 718-N
Gigapan Website
My Website
tau
Sol 721 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z context
and Mastcam-Z left eye filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.