Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jezero Delta Campaign, Sols 414-1000
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
scalbers
A cylindrical panorama from Sol 632 also using Paul's tiled Navcam images:

Click to view attachment

Large format version
scalbers
Panoramic animation covering the two most recent drives ending on Sol 632, with mosaics constructed from PaulH's tiled NavCam-L images.

Click to view attachment

Link for longer drive starting back on Sol 502
Phil Stooke
Just had a drive on sol 641, apparently heading back to Three Forks to drop the first cache. Paul kindly provided the full frames again (saving me time I don't have) so here is the new circular view.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tolis
Deimos (grazing) transit on Sol 637.
scalbers
Here's a Sol 641 panoramic mosaic constructed by reprojecting PaulH's tiled NavCam images.

Click to view attachment

Link to large format version

We see the driving in this extended animation. It mainly starts on Sol 502, and we're gradually filling in additional mosaics back to Sol 400 to show more of the traverse to the delta. North is now in the center for a better view towards the delta.
Ron Hobbs
A direct hit by a dust devil!

Joel Achenbach in the Washington Post

“As the dust devil passed over Perseverance we could actually hear individual impacts of grains on the rover,” said Naomi Murdoch, a planetary scientist at ISAE-SUPAERO, an aerospace engineering institute in Toulouse, France, and the author of the new report. “We could actually count them.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-35100-z

Holder of the Two Leashes
Here is a link about the event at the mission website that includes audio of the event:

LINK
Phil Stooke
Images for this image were taken on sol 644 and processed by Paul. There seems to be no movement since 641. A failed drive? But the lighting is different from the previous view so I will post it. There was a drive on sol 645.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
Perseverance has recorded the sound of a dust devil moving over the Rover. It recorded not only the wind, but also the impacts of individual dust grains, bringing forward a new parameter to measure: dust grains.

MahFL
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 14 2022, 07:33 AM) *
Perseverance has recorded the sound of a dust devil moving over the Rover. It recorded not only the wind, but also the impacts of individual dust grains, bringing forward a new parameter to measure: dust grains.

Is there a direct non pay site link to the audio file ?
djellison
https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA25657
Floyd
QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 14 2022, 11:47 PM) *
Is there a direct non pay site link to the audio file ?

The Nature article is open--no paywall.

Phil Stooke
Sol 645 circular view courtesy of Paul's images and a bit of pixie dust. We had a drive on 646 and 647 too so I will catch up as I can get to it.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 15 2022, 07:00 PM) *
The Nature article is open--no paywall.

That's what I thought. I was looking more at the data and discussion, and less at the audio recording.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
The Nature paper - like a lot of papers these days - comes with a supplementary file containing much more detail. You may find useful things in that - it's linked on he article page.

Phil
Phil Stooke
This is the sol 646 circular view from Paul's images.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
After a long drive on Sol 648 to Site 32 (Drive 0) Perseverance has arrived back in the Three Forks area.
The rover looks to be ~20 meters southwest of the location where they plan to drop the first of the 10 sample tubes in Sample Depot 1.
Attached is a post-drive 2x2 tiled NavCam, roughly assembled in MS-ICE and de-greened, also attached is a figure from the plan
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
scalbers
Here's a news story that I found educational about upcoming plans, related to the mission news link in the previous post.

Also a Sol 646 panorama, along with a large version. Thanks to Paul for the tiled NavCams and pointing info.
Click to view attachment

Here is Sol 647, plus a large version.
Click to view attachment

We can see the changing landscape in this extended drive animation starting back on Sol 400.
PaulH51
Sol 649: 4x3-tile Front-left HazCam [5066x2877px] acquired at site 32/0. Roughly assembled with MS-ICE, then de-greened /sharpened.
I'm assuming that this HazCam features the terrain where they are planning to drop the 1st sample tube at 'Three Forks'.
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Catching up... this is sol 647 from Paul's images.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And sol 648 with Paul's help.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
The rover has arrived at 'Depot 1' after a drive of ~37 meters towards the East during Sol 652 (Processed Front HazCam)

It is positioned at the 1st sample tube drop point identified by on this map JPL.

Click to view attachment
neo56
Touchdown confirmed! The first sample tube has been dropped off!

And a nice WATSON picture of the Sample Handling System taking off the tube.

MahFL
Nice.
Floyd
Has anyone read or know the reason for having the tubes separated from one another (1-2 m apart) over an area cash vs putting all the tubes in a single pile?
scalbers
QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 22 2022, 01:44 PM) *
Has anyone read or know the reason for having the tubes separated from one another (1-2 m apart) over an area cash vs putting all the tubes in a single pile?

It's related to a future helicopter's landing strategy to pick them up.
Quetzalcoatl
QUOTE (scalbers @ Dec 22 2022, 03:56 PM) *
I think it was something to do with a future helicopter's landing strategy to pick them up.

Bonjour,

I also think that this is what it is all about.

I think I understood that this method is made to facilitate the operations of recovery of the tubes.

The helicopters would land on the area and then have to roll by each tube to position themselves properly to allow their robotic arm grippers to pick them up and carry them one by one to the Mars Ascent Vehicle. It is therefore necessary to have enough space between the sample tubes to allow these maneuvers.

We can remember that initially, it was envisaged that a rover (Sample Fetch rover) would pick up and bring back the sample tubes.

MahFL
QUOTE (Quetzalcoatl @ Dec 22 2022, 03:09 PM) *
Bonjour,

I also think that this is what it is all about.

I think I understood that this method is made to facilitate the operations of recovery of the tubes.

The helicopters would land on the area and then have to roll by each tube to position themselves properly to allow their robotic arm grippers to pick them up and carry them one by one to the Mars Ascent Vehicle. It is therefore necessary to have enough space between the sample tubes to allow these maneuvers.

We can remember that initially, it was envisaged that a rover (Sample Fetch rover) would pick up and bring back the sample tubes.

Remember the tubes on the ground are a backup. The main delivery of the tubes to the lander will be by Percy herself.
Quetzalcoatl
QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 22 2022, 05:37 PM) *
Remember the tubes on the ground are a backup. The main delivery of the tubes to the lander will be by Percy herself.

Yes, I did. I have not forgotten that.

I also read that the MAV would have the capacity to carry 30 sample tubes and so it would be desirable to be able to supplement Perseverance's inventory with some of the samples from the backup depots. Moreover, we do not have an absolute guarantee that the rover will be able to deliver. We must consider all eventualities.
StargazeInWonder
I don't know if this is the reason, but it makes, for the retrieval process, the tubes identifiable from one another on the basis of their location. That doesn't seem to be crucially important, but it's a kind of information. If, say, dust covers up the tubes, you'd still know which one is which. That doesn't matter if you're picking all of them up anyway, but if there's any reason why a choice would be made, it's information.
djellison
QUOTE (Quetzalcoatl @ Dec 22 2022, 10:03 AM) *
I also read that the MAV would have the capacity to carry 30 sample tubes and so it would be desirable to be able to supplement Perseverance's inventory with some of the samples from the backup depots. Moreover, we do not have an absolute guarantee that the rover will be able to deliver. We must consider all eventualities.

The tubes being deposited here are a back up of other samples in duplicate being carried onboard the rover.

Under a nominal plan - SRL will be landed many many km from here, next to Perseverance such that Perseverance can drop the samples right infront of the lander (and perhaps assisted by the fetch helicopters)

In that scenario - this cache would be far far away and unreachable.

This cache is a backup for the scenario that Perseverance is no longer capable of handing off sample - the SRL would land near this location and the fetch helicopters would do the out-and-back to pick up these tubes.
scalbers
Sol 648 panorama, along with a large version. Thanks much to Paul for the tiled NavCams and pointing info.
Click to view attachment

Sol 652 panorama, plus a large version.
Click to view attachment

We can see the changing landscape in this extended drive animation starting back on Sol 397.
Quetzalcoatl
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 23 2022, 01:37 AM) *
The tubes being deposited here are a back up of other samples in duplicate being carried onboard the rover.

Under a nominal plan - SRL will be landed many many km from here, next to Perseverance such that Perseverance can drop the samples right infront of the lander (and perhaps assisted by the fetch helicopters)

In that scenario - this cache would be far far away and unreachable.

This cache is a backup for the scenario that Perseverance is no longer capable of handing off sample - the SRL would land near this location and the fetch helicopters would do the out-and-back to pick up these tubes.

Thank you for these explanations. All this has more coherence than my interpretations.

scalbers
Sol 654 panorama, along with a large version derived from Paul's tiled NavCams and pointing info. This time there's a full set of upper tier images showing more of the sky.

Click to view attachment

We can watch the changing landscape in this extended drive animation starting back on Sol 397.
neo56
Second tube dropped off on sol 655!

scalbers
Mosaic using PDS NavCam png images from back on Sol 538:

Click to view attachment

Here is a large version.
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 650-z
© NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/ASU/NeV-T
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 647-Z
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 606-Z
Phil Stooke
Paul's images for sol 652 give me this for the start of the caching operation.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 629-E
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 629-W
PDP8E
SOL 661 tube drop off (#3 ?)
Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 654 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z and Navcam context

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 656 SuperCam RMI mosaic with sol 657 Mastcam-Z context

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 657 SuperCam RMI mosaic with Mastcam-Z context and sol 654 Navcam context for this and the preceding SuperCam image

tau
Multispectral contexts for the preceding three SuperCam RMI images,
Mastcam-Z left eye filters 1 to 6 (visible to nearest infrared light) principal components

neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 619-W

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 619-E
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 641
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 642-S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.