Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jezero Delta Campaign, Sols 414-1000
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 955
© NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/ASU/NeV-T
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 951
serpens
Neville's post #1051. We only missed seeing the river flowing through into the crater by a few billion years.
Phil Stooke
This is Steve's panorama for sol 950 in circular form. An image from Paul let me fix a seam in the foreground.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 950 Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 (RGB) mosaic with enhanced colors and anaglyph
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 955 Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 (slightly enhanced), left eye filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components, and anaglyph

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 956 Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 (slightly enhanced), left eye filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components, and anaglyph.
There are some peculiarly shaped rocks, formed by wind erosion, here and in the two previous posts.

tau
Sol 955 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z context and sol 952 Navcam context

tau
Sol 957 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with sol 956 Mastcam-Z context and left eye filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components

Phil Stooke
Sol 952, Steve's panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 940
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 959
Bill Harris
QUOTE (tau @ Nov 2 2023, 12:37 PM) *
Sol 950 Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 (RGB) mosaic with enhanced colors and anaglyph

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Now this is an interesting rock: moderate-grained below the contact and conglomeratic above. Did you do a multispectral view of this? Do we spot an in-place outcrop of this rock type?

--Bill
antipode
That's a stunner, I wonder if they might be tempted to head over there?

P
tau
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 5 2023, 06:38 AM) *
Now this is an interesting rock: moderate-grained below the contact and conglomeratic above. Did you do a multispectral view of this? . . .

This is only seemingly one rock on sol 950. That's what I thought, too, before I looked at it in the anaglyph. It is two different rocks with a distance between them.
The more distant rock was already visible on sol 939 (post #1039). You can find a multispectral image of it in post #1040.
This rock is probably not a conglomerate, but a grainy rock (sandstone?) with a bumpy surface.

Click to view attachment
neo56
Nice clouds imaged on sol 959 by NavCam Left.

tau
Sol 958 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z context and sol 957 Navcam context

neo56
Cloudy sky on sol 961. NavCam Right, 16:13 LMST.

serpens
QUOTE (tau @ Nov 5 2023, 01:48 PM) *
/.......This rock is probably not a conglomerate, but a grainy rock (sandstone?) with a bumpy surface.

Click to view attachment

I think you are spot on Tau. The bumpy aspect is a function of erosion. It is standing proud of similar rocks and was probably part of that bed and potentially tilted.
tau
I was wondering if the layered rock might extend beneath the bumpy rock, which can't be decided from the images in the previous posts.
The bumpy rock had even been imaged already on sol 934 with the left and right eyes of the Mastcam-Z simultaneously.
These paired raw images (1, 2), along with paired images of Sol 950 (3, 4, 5, 6), enabled triangulation (map 1).
There is a dark rock (and/or shadow) at the intersection of the distance circles around the respective rover positions.
Helicopter flight paths run nearby. And indeed, the dark rock is visible in some helicopter color camera photos from sol 915.
Calculating the relative positions (as seen from above) of the visible front faces of the three rocks with the help of the sol 950 raw images results in the left inset in map 2.
Light blue polygons are a measure of the uncertainty of the triangulation. Here is A - the bumpy rock, B - the layered rock, C - the rock with a hovering pointed tip and its shadow.
Both insets and the orbital photo are of the same scale.
The photo made by the helicopter clearly shows that A and B are not connected and that the apparent contact between A and B in this image is an optical illusion.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Bill Harris
QUOTE (serpens @ Nov 6 2023, 05:52 PM) *
I think you are spot on Tau. The bumpy aspect is a function of erosion. It is standing proud of similar rocks and was probably part of that bed and potentially tilted.

Oh my. Geo-paredolia strikes!

--Bill
serpens
Really? OK.
tau
Here is a wiggle stereogram for sol 950.

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 962-963
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 960
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 960
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 950
Phil Stooke
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/pac/presentations/...023%20v1.4.pptx

This link is to the recent PAC meeting presentation on the Mars program. It includes a nice slide on the delta samples:

Click to view attachment

Phil
scalbers
Sol 958 is seen in this 360 degree mosaic along with a large version link. The drive was to the NNW and the view is centered on north. Thanks to Paul for image and camera navigation info and Kevin Gill for the raw image utilities that all help prep the images for my processing steps. This one has more seams than usual as the images come from three different times of the day with changing land and sky illumination.

Click to view attachment

Here is Sol 959 heading to the ENE along with a large version link.

Click to view attachment
scalbers
And here is Sol 960 heading to the east along with a large version link. Thanks to Paul for image and camera navigation info and Kevin Gill for the raw image utilities that all help prep the images for my processing.

Click to view attachment

Extended drive animation from Sol 387 to the present.
Phil Stooke
Thanks for all those images, Steve and Paul. Here is the sol 958 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And the same for sol 959.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
... and sol 960. Up to date! The rim peaks were patched with images from another sol.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 989 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with sol 988 Mastcam-Z context and sol 961 Navcam context

Bill Harris
Even before seeing the cloud image my first thought was that the lighting looks soft in the other images.
tau
Sol 991 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with sol 991 Mastcam-Z context and sol 960 Navcam context

neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 995
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 995-996
tau
Sol 993 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with Mastcam-Z filter 0 raw image context and Mastcam-Z left eye filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components

scalbers
Here is Sol 1002 (the most recent of the bunch now available) with a large version link. Thanks to Paul for image and camera navigation info and Kevin Gill for the raw image utilities that all help prep the images for my processing.

Click to view attachment

Along with Sol 1001 below with a large version link.

Click to view attachment

neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 997
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERENCE 998
tau
Sol 996 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with an interesting rock collection

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 996 Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 (slightly enhanced), and left eye (ZL1...) and right eye (ZR1...) filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components

Floyd
That is probably the most dramatic color sorting of large rocks I've seen. I like the smaller brown rock in the middle panel--so at least 3 types of rock here. Very nice tau.
scalbers
Looking a bit earlier, the mosaic below uses Sol 1000 imagery with a large version link. Thanks to Paul for image and camera navigation info and Kevin Gill for the raw image utilities that all help prep the images for my processing.

Click to view attachment

And here is Sol 999 with a large version link.

Click to view attachment

xflare
Perseverance spots a giant sunspot on Dec 22nd

scalbers
Thank you Glevesque smile.gif Here are a couple of Sols that help fill in the animation. The first mosaic uses Sol 997 imagery with a large version link. Thanks to Paul for image and camera navigation info and Kevin Gill for the raw image utilities that all help prep the images for my processing.

Click to view attachment

Below is Sol 998 with a large version link.

Click to view attachment

scalbers
This mosaic uses Sol 994 imagery with a large version link. Thanks to Paul for image and camera navigation info and Kevin Gill for the raw image utilities that all help prep the images for my processing.

Click to view attachment

Below has a synthetic sky added, helped by the relatively uniform timing and lighting of the individual images.

Click to view attachment

scalbers
This one uses Sol 993 imagery with a large version link.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.