Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jezero Delta Campaign, Sols 414-1000
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 557-S
© NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/ASU/NeV-T
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 557-SE
PaulH51
The 'Chiniak' abrasion target fractured during the abrasion activity (Processed sol 564: WATSON image)
The rover has since made a short bump from site 28/0 to site 29/0 (Processed sol 565: 4-tile NavCam mosaic)
Other 4-tile post drive images of the new location are yet to arrive at the time of this post
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Paul's images give us this circular view. Just a short move to the south, closer to the rock to reach a more promising bit of it.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Friable rocks!
This sol 566 processed MastCam-Z features a rock that the rover crushed with its wheels on the approach to the current location.
The wheel tracks and the crushed rock can be seen in the annotated post drive tiled NavCam from sol 565.
The width of the wheel tracks provides a handy estimate of the scale.
If this is an example of the sedimentary outcrops around this location, it could lead to further issues with abrading and even obtaining a viable core.
Bill Harris
So Sol 566-ish is the Amalik area near Enchanted Lake?
That rock it ran over was certainly very thinly bedded. I run short on vocabulary, but I'd regard friable as a rock that crushes easily to powder. This one just broke into many thin flakes. It may be one variety of friable.
I'm on the lookout for larger in-place examples. And maybe some Tau geovision images.

--Bill
PaulH51
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 24 2022, 08:47 AM) *
That rock it ran over was certainly very thinly bedded. I run short on vocabulary, but I'd regard friable as a rock that crushes easily to powder. This one just broke into many thin flakes. It may be one variety of friable.
I'm on the lookout for larger in-place examples. And maybe some Tau geovision images.

--Bill

Bill,
Forgive my poor geology terminology, I've clearly a lot to learn smile.gif
Enchanted Lake is just a few meters south of Amalik.
The rover currently has its front wheels resting on top of Amalik, we can see the Enchanted Lake outcrop and the rover's old wheel tracks when it first visited that target on sol 422 in this annotated NavCam where the rover is pointing almost South (189 degrees) I've also included a screen capture of the interactive map

serpens
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 24 2022, 12:47 AM) *
..... This one just broke into many thin flakes. It may be one variety of friable.....

--Bill

Shale.
tau
Sol 566 Mastcam-Z
1. Left eye filter 0 raw image (black frame omitted)
2. Left eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (visible to near infrared light) principal components false colors
3. Right eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (infrared) principal components false colors
4. Anaglyph

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 566
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 565-ENCHANTED LAKE
Bill Harris
Sol 566, Right camera, filters 1-6, IR view. On the surface, around the shattered rock, we see many small particles as "speckles". Fascinating.

Thanks, Tau!

--Bill
Phil Stooke
This is one of Paul's Navcams showing the locations of the failed and successful abrasions. The Navcam was from before the arm activities so they have been added.

Phil

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 569 Mastcam-Z images of the sol 568 abrasion patch
1. Left eye filter 0 raw image (black frame omitted).
2. Left eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (visible to near infrared light) principal components.
3. Right eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (infrared) principal components.
Strangely, the false colors of the cuttings differ noticeably from the false colors of the rock interior in the abrasion patch.
Left eye: Brownish cuttings versus a slightly turquoise abrasion patch.
Right eye: Bluish cuttings versus a neutral (in average) abrasion patch.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
The sol 568 abrasion patch seen by SHERLOC
1. Sol 568 SHERLOC WATSON camera anaglyph
2. Sol 570 SHERLOC Autofocus and Context Imager (ACI) image (contrast enhanced) in a sol 568 SHERLOC WATSON camera raw image
3. Overlay of the sol 570 SHERLOC ACI image for detail with a sol 568 SHERLOC WATSON image for color, both enhanced

tau
Sol 571 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic no. 1 with sol 569 Mastcam-Z context

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tau
Sol 571 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic no. 2 with sol 569 Mastcam-Z context

Bill Harris
QUOTE (tau @ Sep 30 2022, 01:17 PM) *
Sol 571 SuperCam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic no. 1 with sol 569 Mastcam-Z context

Note the coarse, conglomeratic, truncated unit below.

--Bill
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 569
tau
Sol 571 Mastcam-Z no. 1
2. Left eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (visible to near infrared light) principal components
3. Anaglyph

tau
Sol 571 Mastcam-Z no. 2
2. Left eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (visible to near infrared light) principal components
3. Anaglyph

tau
Sol 571 Mastcam-Z no. 3

tau
Sol 571 Mastcam-Z no. 4

tau
Sol 571 Mastcam-Z left eye multispectral panorama

Click to view attachment
neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 569
tdemko
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 30 2022, 02:01 PM) *
Note the coarse, conglomeratic, truncated unit below.

Adding onto Bill's observation, I think I see a fining-upward unit below the truncation, and a fining-upward succession with large-scale cross-stratification that has flattening-upward bedding.

My interpretation of these observations, in the context of the position of the outcrop, distal to the more proximal part of the delta, would be that these are the deposits of supercritical bedforms, likely cyclic steps (the lower coarse unit) and long wavelength antidunes in the distal delta front and toe-of-clinothem lobe element and feeder channel to lobe element transition zone.
Bill Harris
Tim, this is a wonderfully dynamic area.

--Bill
tau
The sol 575 core in its sample tube
Slightly enhanced mosaic of images acquired by the Sample Caching System Camera (CacheCam) on sol 575

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (tau @ Oct 5 2022, 03:30 AM) *
The sol 575 core in its sample tube
Slightly enhanced mosaic of images acquired by the Sample Caching System Camera (CacheCam) on sol 575
Click to view attachment

This core is called 'Shuyak' from the 'Amalik' outcrop LINK
tau
1. Sol 572 Front Left Hazard Avoidance Camera A.
The small sand dune under the turret at the end of the rover's robotic arm seems to be of particular interest.
2. Mastcam-Z image with stretched colors and scale.
3. SHERLOC WATSON camera image with enhanced colors.
The size of the rounded grains is roughly 1 mm.
The location of this image is most likely somewhere in the right halfth of the Mastcam-Z image.

Further investigation of this dune is underway on sol 575 with PIXL.
Phil Stooke
Here's a graphic summary of the sampling activities at this site.

Phil

Click to view attachment
tau
A closer look at the sol 568 abrasion patch
1. Animation of three sol 573 SHERLOC Autofocus and Context Imager (ACI) images with changing illumination angles, enlarged and contrast enhanced.
_ The diameter of most of the dark grains is about 50 µm.
_ The dark grains show moving light reflections. In some cases they alternate between completely dark and an overexposed reflection.
_ That is, the dark grains have a shiny surface, some probably even have shiny facets.
2. Sol 571 SHERLOC WATSON camera context image. The bluish part of the inserted SHERLOC ACI image corresponds to image no. 1.

tau
Layers of Kodiak in a sol 580 Supercam RMI mosaic with Mastcam-Z context image and "marsonaut" for scale

neville thompson

Gigapan - PERSEVERANCE 580
Bill Harris
Perseverance having ptoblems capping sample tubes.
October, 2022.

https://www.space.com/perseverance-mars-rov...-sample-problem
tau
Sol 590 Mastcam-Z
1. and 3. Left eye filter 0 raw images (black frame omitted)
2. and 4. Left eye multispectral filters 1 to 6 (visible to near infrared light) principal components

tau
The two multispectral images of the previous post in a sol 586 Navcam right eye mosaic context

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
After ~4 weeks at Amalik the rover has driven away during Sol 592, the map has not been updated yet, but it looks close to 40 meters north.
Here is one of the post-drive tiled NavCams that features a TAR where the rover may take a regolith sample.
The mosaic was downlinked as a 4x4 tiled set, but I have reduced its size to match the 2x2 sets.
The rover may need a bump to reach the TAR (if they choose to sample here)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Paul's images give me this circular view:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Phil
PaulH51
A short drive up to a transverse aeolian ridge (TAR) on Sol 593. Once there the wheel tracks indicate that they swept the front right-side wheel onto and off the TAR. I'm assuming they did this to expose some fresh regolith for investigation with the rover's instruments. Looks like a possible site to use the regolith sample bit for the first time. I've attached three end-of drive NavCam's and one Front HazCam roughly assembled in MS-ICE and processed to highlight the terrain. The other 2x2 sets had some data drop out on a number of tiles.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 593 Supercam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with 10 laser holes,
Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 context image and
Mastcam-Z left eye multispectral principal components

Bill Harris
PaulH51
Regolith sample bit? Shelby tube? Split spoon? Osterberg?
I'll need to read up on that.
PaulH51
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 22 2022, 03:17 AM) *
PaulH51
Regolith sample bit? Shelby tube? Split spoon? Osterberg?
I'll need to read up on that.

Here's an extract from "The Sampling and Caching Subsystem (SCS) for the Scientific Exploration of Jezero Crater by the Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover" link (Paywalled)

The sample acquisition process for regolith collection is different from coring. During regolith sample collection, the RA positions the Turret and Corer so that the Regolith Bit is facing downward near the sampling target. The Corer Feed mechanism moves the Regolith Bit downward into the regolith while combining Spindle rotation and Percussion operation, but there may also be small Turret sweeping motions of up to a few degrees during acquisition to aid in regolith collection. After retraction of the Regolith Bit, a short Percussion operation levels the sample, and the RA moves the Turret through some prescribed motions (to “flip” the regolith from the head into the Sample Tube) and Percussion operation to ensure that the regolith sample is moved adequately into the Sample Tube. Nominal samples of 8 cc at acquisition are controlled by the Regolith Bit tip geometry (although some compaction or loss can occur during Percussion operation and transfer to the Sample Tube).

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Paul kindly made the images for this Navcam circular view of the sol 593 location.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tau
Sol 594 Supercam Remote Micro-Imager mosaic with laser holes,
Mastcam-Z left eye filter 0 context image,
and Mastcam-Z left eye multispectral principal components

tau
1. Sol 594 image of the sand dune by the SHERLOC WATSON camera
2. Mastcam-Z context
3. High-resolution details from the SHERLOC WATSON image, low-resolution colors from the Mastcam-Z multispectral principal components image in the previous post.
Strong parallax between Mastcam-Z and SHERLOC WATSON camera prevents a better alignment of details and colors.

Bill Harris
Re: PaulH51 Post 443:

Yes, that is elegant and will get us an undisturbed sample from that spot. It will give us short history of aeolian processes at that spot.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
Old-timers will remember the Rover Field Reports from Mars written (and illustrated) by Larry Crumpler. I have just discovered that Larry has been putting together sporadic reports for Perseverance:

https://www.nmnaturalhistory.org/space-scie...rts-mars?page=1

(Sporadic means only 2 since landing but the second is recent). Also you can look through lots of old ones for Opportunity (maybe Spirit but I didn't look back far enough).

Phil
Bill Harris
I'd forgotten about Larry Crumpler and his wonderful Rover Reports. Even the couple of reports presented were great.
I wonder what happened to them? Larry is apparently still on the JPL Rover Team.

--Bill
PaulH51
Making tracks on Sol 606, image acquired after a drive due Northwest of ~208.5 meters and a climb of 7.74 meters.
Roughly assembled (MS-ICE) 2x2 tiled NavCam, and a table using selected data/stats from JPLs JSON URLs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.