Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philae landing on the nucleus of Comet 67P C-G
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Rosetta
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
stevelu
ESA has woken up & (goodish) news is trickling out on Twitter. "Today is critical" stands out to me.

@Philae_MUPUS:
[their instrument(s) confirm the 3 bounce data]
Good morning #cometlanding! Short status update: we believe that Philae bounced (possibly 3 times) but sits safely on the comet now.
we need images and radio link to learn more. several Philae instruments got nice data (Cosac, Concert, Ptolemy, RoMap, Rolis) #cometlanding.
Will tweet news as they come in. Stay tuned. #cometlanding

@chrislintott:
Stable signal from @Philae2014, images from ÇIVA received and some broad smiles around ESOC. Not anchored to surface #CometLanding

@RosettaSD2:
Unfortunately no drilling today: we first need to understand where we landed and how we landed. Today is critical @Philae2014 @ESA_Rosetta

Oh, & if you want to sample my mix of science geekery, lefty US politics, & weirdness, you can try @stevelussier. I end up tweeting a lot of UMSF links/credits at moments like this. rolleyes.gif
Explorer1
They're going to try imaging with OSIRIS:
https://twitter.com/BBCAmos/status/532804735045488640
vikingmars
The CIVA-P imaging sequence was on a full automatic mode. And started 5 mn after the landing. I know well the people from Bibring's team and their eargerness to release their images to the public. We know for sure now that their cameras worked perfectly.

By 20:00 CET almost all of the data was received and the CIVA team must have been very disconcerted by their results : i.e. for example blurred images by erratic movements of Philae and/or black sky images... Otherwise, the images would have been shown.

The 3 good news from CNES early morning are :
- now the lander came to a rest ;
- its solar panels are delivering energy ;
- its telecoms are 100% operational and its signal is received sound and clear from Rosetta...
They will have to rework entirely some of its science sequence, including the CIVA-P images...
They were some windows available today, enabling some changes in the science sequence.

They are also to search for the lander. The 2-hours bounce may have it landed closer to the "neck" of the comet while the nucleus was slowly turning behind it while it was bouncing back into space. Maybe we will discover an even better site with a more dramatic landscape showing the other lobe over its local horizon... Who knows ?

So stay tuned for more info. smile.gif
xflare
Much better news this morning it seems. And WOW .... it may have rebounded hundreds of metres back into space, no wonder there was so much confusion as to what was happening in the first few hours.
MichaelJWP
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Nov 13 2014, 09:31 AM) *
By 20:00 CET almost all of the data was received and the CIVA team must have been very disconcerted by their results : i.e. for example blurred images by erratic movements of Philae and/or black sky images... Otherwise, the images would have been shown.

Quick question just for my own clarification, were this images blurred and/or black purely due to Philae bouncing and moving when it was expected to be settled?
Cargo Cult
QUOTE (stevelu @ Nov 13 2014, 09:13 AM) *
@Philae_MUPUS:
[their instrument(s) confirm the 3 bounce data]
Good morning #cometlanding! Short status update: we believe that Philae bounced (possibly 3 times) but sits safely on the comet now.
we need images and radio link to learn more. several Philae instruments got nice data (Cosac, Concert, Ptolemy, RoMap, Rolis) #cometlanding.
Will tweet news as they come in. Stay tuned. #cometlanding

A thought: if various instruments have (presumably rather rapidly) collected data from the first 'landing' site, can they recollect new(ish) data from this final landing site?

Two cometary landers for the price of one!

Mercure
If they were genuinely confused, as seems to be the case, then I retract my earlier comment about a botched public/media outreach effort. Looking forward to data and images from the lander, sorry, sample-drill hopper!
Rakhir
@ESA_Rosetta: 1st CIVA images confirm @Philae2014 is on surface of #67P! http://ow.ly/EczwI #CometLanding

http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/images/...ull_image_2.jpg

Click to view attachment
stevelu
[David Tennant voice:] What!? What!?
spacepoint
1st image from surface. smile.gif
Rosetta’s lander Philae is safely on the surface of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, as these first two CIVA images confirm. One of the lander’s three feet can be seen in the foreground. The full panoramic from CIVA will be delivered in this afternoon’s press briefing at 13:00 GMT/14:00 CET.

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/20...come_to_a_comet
climber
I'd said the foot I see there is upside down.
OWW
Is the lander tilted with the camera pointing to the surface, or is it sitting right next to a wall or something?
OWW
QUOTE (climber @ Nov 13 2014, 11:17 AM) *
I'd said the foot I see there is upside down.

yeah, looks like it's laying on its side 90 degrees.
climber
Plus one of the Concert antena is on the ground.
I hope I'm wrong
Malmer
Synthetic 360 panorama from the Philae First touchdown location.
ROLIS descent image and OSIRIS mosaic draped over my digital terrainmodel.

Click to view attachment

http://mattias.malmer.nu/2014/11/philae-fi...hdown-location/
polaris
QUOTE (climber @ Nov 13 2014, 11:21 AM) *
Plus one of the Concert antena is on the ground.
I hope I'm wrong

I agree. The Concert antena is in contact with the soil. It can be checked with its shadow...
spacepoint
I think Philae is tilted toward front leg. These antennas are left and right from that leg.
I dont think that's 90 degress, but close. sad.gif
Paolo
Emily has tweeted this a few minutes ago:

Mark McCaughrean says we have 7 CIVA images on the ground and one of them is looking at sky. Means Philae is at least sloping, poss. on side
xflare
It looks very gravelly/crumbly.
OWW
It looks nothing like that last image before touchdown though. It must have come down somewhere else entirely.
climber
QUOTE (spacepoint @ Nov 13 2014, 11:30 AM) *
I think Philae is tilted toward front leg. These antennas are left and right from that leg.
I dont think that's 90 degress, but close. sad.gif

Agree. Trouble is we've lost on side of solar panel i.e. we'll need more time to recharge batteries.
climber
Drilling would also be not possible.
Well, better wait for the conférence
christian_d
Do you think that rotating the platform will be safe? If the lander is sitting there so precariously, this could be enough to tip it over, or incur damage due to contact with the ground? Does the preprogrammed science sequence rotate the platform autonomously at this stage? May it be possible to torque-right the lander with fast platform movements?
Rakhir
The platform rotation is not preprogrammed.
They will decide to do it or not depending on the situation.
polaris
Due to the very low gravity, could it be possible to straighten Philae using the internal engines of the instruments...?
Paolo
Jonathan Amos has just tweeted that Philae might not be in a place where it can recharge its batteries
jamescanvin
The current position does not look ideal from a power perspective. Hopefully rotation will still be possible to orientate the panels better.
elakdawalla
When rovers were stuck, a frequently asked question was whether the arms could help them get out of the mess, and the answer was always absolutely not. But I have heard reasonable people here speculating that if Philae ended up on its side, the MUPUS probe could possibly be used to try to right it, depending on the orientation of the lander of course. There's still a lot of confusion about the lander's position and orientation here; they're scrambling to try to figure things out before this afternoon's briefing.
christian_d
QUOTE (polaris @ Nov 13 2014, 11:57 AM) *
Due to the very low gravity, could it be possible to straighten Philae using the internal engines of the instruments...?

Unfortunately, microgravity doesn't reduce the inertia of the lander, it is still a 100kg object.
If it is just beyond the tipping point though, a little yank might just do something.
Probably this is wishful thinking, though.
spacepoint
Too bad that thruster failed during descend. sad.gif
http://youtu.be/-77-Z_DHTlY?t=3m13s
Rakhir
From CNES press conference (in French):
http://www.cnes.fr/web/CNES-fr/11553-gp-en...hui-a-midi-.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRDtME4BcBM

New landing location:
jman0war
Could the lander have punched a hole into the surface and is now dug-in?
Rakhir
CNES :
- travelled 1km from initial landing site
- 1h30 available sun per 12h rotation period
Rakhir
Next steps are still being worked out for 19h00 CET.
Decision to be taken if MUPUS and APXS will be deployed.

They want to avoid moving the lander to a worst position.
Rakhir
CNES project manager confirmed harpoons didn't trigger.
Also checking if it could make sense to trigger them.
Rakhir
Besides MUPUS, APXS and drilling, all over instruments already returned plenty of data.

Current available sunlight and panels position don't allow recharging battery.
Rakhir
CNES project manager: about 50-55 h remaining on the non-recharging battery.
Enough to complete planned science sequence.
Except drilling which is impossible if not anchored to surface.
Rakhir
A ROLIS image will be displayed this afternoon showing the lander didn't dug in the ground.
About 30 cm above ground.
Rakhir
Tilt angle not know yet.
CNES PM said probably higher than 30° tilt.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Rakhir @ Nov 13 2014, 11:10 AM) *
New landing location:

Green dot shows the original (1st landing) location does it not?
MahFL
QUOTE (Rakhir @ Nov 13 2014, 12:12 PM) *
CNES :
... 1h30 available sun per 12h rotation period

That's not good, but at least the lander is alive and on the surface. They needed a lot of luck and they got SOME luck.
Rakhir
CNES: Precise position not fully known yet.
Still under analysis based on CONSERT, radio beam and sunlight variations on panels.
Not yet able to produce consistent location based on the three data sources.
MahFL
QUOTE (Rakhir @ Nov 13 2014, 12:22 PM) *
A ROLIS image will be displayed this afternoon showing the lander didn't dug in the ground.
About 30 cm above ground.

Do you mean the main body is 30 cm above the ground ?
MahFL
QUOTE (Rakhir @ Nov 13 2014, 12:12 PM) *
CNES :
- travelled 1km from initial landing site

That's nearly a 1/4 of the whole comet.
Rakhir
QUOTE (MahFL @ Nov 13 2014, 12:29 PM) *
Do you mean the main body is 30 cm above the ground ?

Yes, a @CNES tweet says that the platform is 25-30 cm above ground.

End of CNES conference.
Rakhir
Forgot to add that they also said that the lander ended in a kind of cave, so really not the perfect location for sunlight.
tolis
my guess: if the situation is not survivable power-wise after the battery
is fully discharged, they will do whatever science they can do up to the point
where the battery is about to discharge fully and then try something radical ie
fire the harpoons or try to use the flywheel to rotate the lander.

jmknapp
If it bounced 100's of meters away the only force to bring it back was gravity, right? At a reported "weight" of 1-2 grams that must have taken quite a while. Or maybe the comet rotated into it?
4th rock from the sun
Very interesting situation. Not good for science, but they / we are learning a lot about how to land and operate on this kind of objects and surfaces.

Really interested on the engineering / decision process side of things. In that regard things are looking good!

The lander (well more of a bouncer) is alive in unforeseen conditions. That is what matters for now.
Lightning
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Nov 13 2014, 12:37 PM) *
If it bounced 100's of meters away the only force to bring it back was gravity, right? At a reported "weight" of 1-2 grams that must have taken quite a while. Or maybe the comet rotated into it?
1 hour. And yes the comet rotated by 1/10.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.