Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philae landing on the nucleus of Comet 67P C-G
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Rosetta
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Explorer1
It will definitely be spotted, probably even better than the rovers on Mars look from orbit. The released OSIRIS images (remember those days) have already resolved features smaller than the lander.
mcgyver
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Nov 5 2014, 08:09 PM) *
It will definitely be spotted, probably even better than the rovers on Mars look from orbit. The released OSIRIS images (remember those days) have already resolved features smaller than the lander.

I read somewhere of 2 cm/pixel capabilities, could it be true? It looks quite an high resolution for images taken from some kms.
djellison
The math for figuring it out is very very simple. You don't even need to use trig.

Take any image for which there is a quoted range and resolution
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/20...te_from_30_km_a

Which states
[quoteThe image was taken by Rosetta’s OSIRIS narrow-angle camera at 07:04 GMT on 12 September 2014 from a distance of about 30 km. The image scale is 0.5 m/pixel and the image covers about 1 km square.[/quote]

30km -> 50cm/pixel

So 15km would be 25cm/pixel

3km (closer than they plan to get with Rosetta) would be 5cm/pixel

So no - the 2cm figure is probably optimistic.
spacearch
Has anyone heard any information about an ADS maneuver on descent? I've seen references that say likely no maneuver due to 67P's higher gravity vs. Wirtanen, but p. 7 here:

http://issfd.org/ISSFD_2012/ISSFD23_GC_2.pdf

talks about it still being an option in 2012 in a "Last Chance" landing scenario.
machi
QUOTE (mcgyver @ Nov 6 2014, 06:50 PM) *
I read somewhere of 2 cm/pixel capabilities, could it be true? It looks quite an high resolution for images taken from some kms.

It's the highest resolution which is theoretically obtainable by OSIRIS NAC camera. This camera can obtain sharp image from distance one kilometer
with special lens (is in the filter wheel). From closer distance images would be blurred.
This capability of OSIRIS will be not used (probably) in real mission, because excursion to such low altitude is not planned.
Gerald
QUOTE (spacearch @ Nov 6 2014, 08:33 PM) *
Has anyone heard any information about an ADS maneuver on descent?

It isn't scheduled to be applied.
Instead they'll use the "Preferred" scenario, if the schedule for November 12 can be performed.
They'll use Philae's thruster to push down the lander during anchoring.
dvandorn
Anyone have any ideas if the ESA website will have live streaming coverage of the landing? Here in the U.S. all I can find on the vast array of cable channels I receive for same-day coverage is a one-hour special, "Landing on a Comet," running on the Science channel. I heard reports that NatGeoUK is running live coverage in the UK, but the U.S. NatGeo is not running anything on 11/12.

The Science channel program runs at 9 pm EST (8 pm CST, etc.). If the estimate of landing confirmation at about 1600 GMT on 11/12 is still accurate (as was posted a couple of weeks ago, after the landing site was selected), that puts this program about four hours after landing confirmation. I'd hope we would have a number of good images back by then, but I'd also really like to follow the landing event live.

(As an aside, Science is using this opportunity to bring out a few new space-related programs, running the first of their "space weeks" since Curiosity landed a couple of years ago. We may get some nice eye candy from them in addition to same-day coverage of Philae's landing.)

-the other Doug (With my shield, not yet upon it)
katodomo
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 7 2014, 06:45 AM) *
Anyone have any ideas if the ESA website will have live streaming coverage of the landing?

24-hour live coverage from 1900 GMT on Nov 11 to 1900 GMT on Nov 12 planned, to be streamed over web and broadcast over Eutelsat. From three locations, ESOC Mission Control in Darmstadt, LCC (Lander Control Center) in Cologne and SONC in Toulouse. Highlights after each step will also be edited as downloadable content for other media to use.

Overview see http://www.esa.int/esatv/Television

MOD EDIT: Thanks for this link, Katodomo. I copied this post and put it in the Philae FAQ Thread. Urge everyone to look there first for questions, and of course if you come across a resource of interest please feel free to place it there; thanks!
Sacha Martinetti-Lévy
From the APOD winners of the September 15th, 2di7 and titanio44, the J site :

Philae’s primary landing site_Site J par 2di7 & titanio44, sur Flickr

brellis
Googling contingency plans, to no avail - is it possible for Philae to operate even if it doesn't successfully attach itself to the comet? If it touches down safely enough but floats off -- would it still be possible to perform some observations, even if only on battery power?
MahFL
QUOTE (brellis @ Nov 11 2014, 08:46 PM) *
Googling contingency plans, to no avail - is it possible for Philae to operate even if it doesn't successfully attach itself to the comet? If it touches down safely enough but floats off -- would it still be possible to perform some observations, even if only on battery power?

If it's in full sun there will be overheating problems, the landing site was chosen to include some night time for cooling the lander.
Gerald
If it lands without proper anchoring, but without bouncing off, it may still be able to perform some of the science, but drilling may not be possible safely.
IIRC Andrea Accomazzo recently answered a similar question roughly in this sense.
Explorer1
According to one of the reporters, the thruster on top won't be used (couldn't prime it apparently). https://twitter.com/BBCAmos/status/532421544455467009

So harpoons and screws only? Talk about tension; this makes Huygens looks like a walk in the park...
xflare
Im surprised they had a "GO" if the thruster can't be used, rather than delay the landing to try and fix any problem?
elakdawalla
So is everybody in the press room, but the media updates are being held in a different room so it is not possible for the media to ask questions.
Gerald
"We have to fully rely now on the harpoons".
Gerald
"We've got the final go".
MahFL
QUOTE (Gerald @ Nov 12 2014, 08:08 AM) *
"We've got the final go".

Even my cats are nervous, woke me up...well off to bed again.....
Hungry4info
QUOTE (xflare @ Nov 12 2014, 12:50 AM) *
Im surprised they had a "GO" if the thruster can't be used, rather than delay the landing to try and fix any problem?
From
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...ate-go-for.html
So why did they make the decision to go ahead and land? Because the likelihood of the pin-puncture succeeding after four failed attempts is less than 1%, Jansen told me. Delaying the landing wouldn't increase the likelihood of success (and might actually decrease it, because of the increasing activity of the comet), so they are "go" even without the cold-gas system.
xflare
So has the commanding to fire the thruster on landing been disabled? Really unfortunate that the main pin and all the backup pins would also fail? Perhaps it is a problem with the sensor that detects the pressure?
Gerald
This has been considered.

Since the surface probably isn't as hard as ice, but soft as somewhere between settled snow and cigarette ash, the landing gear will sink into the surface. It's unlikely, that the trajectory will be perfectly perpendicular to the surface. That way it's plausible, that some temporary fixation, or at least considerable dampening, should be possible even without thrust. For long enough, hopefully, for the other mechanisms to work.

We'll know more in about eight hours.
Harder
Hopefully the softness of the comet surface at the landing spot will mitigate part of the bouncing-off risk, in combination with the overall low speed of approach (walking pace). If I recall the surface strenght is now estimated in the lower range of the 2kPa – 2 Mpa design range for the landing system.

The next critical thing is that the screws needed to impart the targeted slow departure speed of Philea will work fine!
Gerald
relaxed faces in the control room smile.gif
Explorer1
Separation confirmed!
Time to catch a few zzzs here on PST.
Norm Hartnett
About 100 minutes to AOS for both lander and orbiter. Who needs sleep!
Gerald
applause! smile.gif

Just receiving regular telemetry data from the lander.
Norm Hartnett
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! AOS!

Confirm telemetry on lander!
Bjorn Jonsson
One thing I just remembered regarding possible bouncing off the surface etc.: This is not the first attempted landing on an extremely low gravity body. NEAR and Hayabusa both successfully landed on small bodies (but the comet's surface properties are probably very different from Eros' and Itokawa's). Fingers crossed...

EDIT: AOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcgyver
AOS confirmed.
Norm Hartnett
Next up, data dump from both spacecraft in the next two hours. (possibly including navcam photos)
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Nov 12 2014, 06:07 AM) *
One thing I just remembered regarding possible bouncing off the surface...
It's interesting to see how the discussion over the last few days has switched from fears of sinking to concern of bouncing off the comet! My own concern has been how the ice screws in the feet will work on the surface which, whatever it is, appears not to be ice. Just a few more hours.... all will be revealed.
Gerald
Telemetry update:
- flywheel operating,
- landing gear deployed.
Norm Hartnett
ESA sez:

Next live 14:00 GMT / 15:00 CET
Live ESA TV report on first science data coming from Philae during descent. Touch down expected 16:02 GMT / 17:02 CET.

Should include first photos.
nprev
Per DSN Now, downlink from Rosetta apparently in progress through DSN 55. That antenna is almost parallel to the ground, pointing right at the horizon!
Gerald
"We've started to receive science data".
CIVA shows, that separation ok.
"We've all data, we've hoping for".
"Everything is coming as expected".

"At 15h CET, we've a lot more to show you".
Norm Hartnett
Well the live feed went live early to report they are receiving data and have gotten at least one of the Farewell photos in. Unfortunately I missed getting a screen capture. Rats!
MahFL
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 12 2014, 01:20 PM) *

That's a cool webpage, a keeper.
Norm Hartnett
First picture from lander of orbiter.

Click to view attachment
4th rock from the sun
Here in a better (non captured and with proper aspect ratio) format:
https://twitter.com/ESA_Rosetta/status/5325...7265921/photo/1

There seems to be some bit truncation issues, where the grayscale is going from 0-255 to 0-255 instead of 0-127 and 127-255. At least that's be best I can describe it.
MahFL
Next pictures of the comet on the way down ?
Gerald
According to Andrea Accomazzo, from OSIRIS imaging:
Lander is going on the right track.
Norm Hartnett
CIVA and Rolis will be switched on shortly, landing images will be taken just after the top of the hour. We won't see them until after landing is my understanding.
Harder
Here I am, smack in the middle of the Media Event in ESTEC, but it looks like coms are overloaded. Already? Hope you all have better connection for video-feed(s). If all else fails, we still have Emily's tweets!

Go Philea!
spacepoint
Phile after separation. smile.gif
Norm Hartnett
They just showed a shot from OSIRIS of the lander that clearly showed both the legs and antennas deployed, I was too slow for a screen cap. Should be up on twitter or here http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/content/s...SearchButton=Go soon

Edit. That's the one smile.gif
spacepoint
QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Nov 12 2014, 03:25 PM) *
Here in a better (non captured and with proper aspect ratio) format:
https://twitter.com/ESA_Rosetta/status/5325...7265921/photo/1

There seems to be some bit truncation issues, where the grayscale is going from 0-255 to 0-255 instead of 0-127 and 127-255. At least that's be best I can describe it.

Here's the pic with higher quality.

akuo
Getting excited about the landing here. Philae, may your harpoons be true and truster working.
MahFL
QUOTE (akuo @ Nov 12 2014, 03:26 PM) *
Getting excited about the landing here. Philae, may your harpoons be true and truster working.

The cold gas thruster is not working, the pin puncturing the gas bottle failed 4 times, so the gas thruster cannot be used.
Harder
and we wait...
centsworth_II
QUOTE (MahFL @ Nov 12 2014, 10:28 AM) *
... the gas thruster cannot be used.
I do not believe that alters the plan to use the harpoon(s). I'm not clear on if both will be used or if one is a backup in case the first fails. Of course the lack of the thruster will have an effect but maybe(hopefully) not a critical effect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.