Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philae landing on the nucleus of Comet 67P C-G
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Rosetta
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Explorer1
If it's any consolation, being in such a sheltered location from further outbursts is probably a good thing for Philae in the long term; just a light cleaning before its ready for a museum a few centuries from now...
climber
This comes from a tweet from HiRise with comment "we couldn't resist":

Edit : sorry, I can't neither remove the double stack not delete the whole post
kenny
Living near Loch Ness as I do, I enjoyed your post, Climber.

However, I think there is more chance of seeing Philae from the shores of Loch Ness, than seeing the other...
PDP8E
Here is a GIF of 3 Philae images
(1) the original from ESA
(2) convolved image
(3) convolved with adaptive histogram equalization

I present it in a more 'spacecraft' orientation

Click to view attachment
Spock1108
Here is my small contribution to the identification of the details of your photos CIVA in photos taken by Rosetta in orbit!

Edit- I consider that philae can be slightly moved after the rotation of the "head" of 35 ° carried to term of his mission

PaulH51
Philae has been found – read why it’s important.
Posted by Monica Grady (Open University)
LINK
stone
QUOTE (Spock1108 @ Sep 7 2016, 10:41 AM) *
Here is my small contribution to the identification of the details of your photos CIVA in photos taken by Rosetta in orbit!

Edit- I consider that philae can be slightly moved after the rotation of the "head" of 35 ° carried to term of his mission

I printed it and showed it to the Cecilia. She was the first to spot the lander on the Osiris images. ;-)
Spock1108
Another attempt to "explore" the surroundings of Philae ... this time with the eyes ROLIS!

bobik
CNES has a different interpretation of the "Philae found" image than ESA.
Hungry4info
Yeah it looks like CNES's solution shows the "body" of the lander rotated a bit. I do vaguely recall that the lander was commanded to rotate (30 degrees?) after the science objectives were completed to facilitate solar panel illumination. It may therefore be "improper" to be trying to figure out which features in the Philae images correspond to structures seen in the OSIRIS imagery under the assumption that the CIVA camera is still in the position/orientation that it was when those images were taken.
scalbers
Just offhand, things appear fairly consistent with my recollection of the CIVA mosaics, including the ones we put together here at UMSF. In particular the tilt of around 80 degrees looks good. Perihelion Cliff and other features seem mostly closer to Philae than was thought. Will be interesting to review some of the other features, particularly 180 degrees away from Periheilion Cliff. Solar panel #2 is facing out as it should be.

http://stevealbers.net/albers/scratch/phil...posite_0417.png

The orientation is described in this post. You might have to scroll a bit to find post #1334.
Stefan
Our analysis of the ROLIS post-landing images has now been published:

Journal version, arXiv.

We are in the process of archiving the original images and, unfortunately, they are not yet available. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
4throck
Some nice images on the arXiv PDF.
There's potential for a small animation there wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.