Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philae landing on the nucleus of Comet 67P C-G
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Rosetta
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
mmatessa
ROLIS image from Rosetta

Mercure
On http://rosetta.esa.int/

"Stay tuned for the presentation of the first images..."

- Sounds confident...
MahFL
QUOTE (mmatessa @ Nov 12 2014, 05:47 PM) *
ROLIS image from Rosetta

What is that at the top right ?
fredk
Official version of the image.
MahFL
If it landed in the middle of the image then it looks like a nice flat spot, with cliffs to the right.
xflare
Lots of unofficial pics popping up on twitter

https://twitter.com/El_Lobo_Rayado/status/532593769791500288
fredk
The comet will be rotating, so we shouldn't land in centre.
CNES retweeted
UNIVERS - CNRS ‏@UNIV_INSU_CNRS 38m38 minutes ago

#PoseToiPhilae Les images du sol par CIVA se font désirer... mais on ne désespère pas ! Un peu de patience... @CNRS @CNES #CometLanding

Google translation:

Ground images by CIVA are poor ... but do not despair! A little patience...
walfy
Wow!
Click to view attachment
MarkG
Nice icy dirtball!
Mercure
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 12 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Google translation:

Wrong translation! - It means that the images by CIVA are "much desired"!

----------

Media briefing in 7 minutes: http://rosetta.esa.int/
Gerald
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 12 2014, 08:14 PM) *

"are poor" sounds like a wrong translation, should better be "will need some more time".
MarsInMyLifetime
QUOTE (walfy @ Nov 12 2014, 12:16 PM) *
Wow!

And you can see those two sets of three rocks in what is apparently the final descent image (from the same tweeter, http://t.co/8eynyGC4k4), so Philae has apparently landed in a benign enough environment. There is good reason for some very good things to happen in coming days. I like that the immediate surface contains some litter-free surface, indicating some dynamics right in this vicinity. Outstanding!
walfy
Media briefing coming up shortly:

http://rosetta.esa.int/
walfy
QUOTE (MarsInMyLifetime @ Nov 12 2014, 10:24 AM) *
...so Philae has apparently landed in a benign enough environment. There is good reason for some very good things to happen in coming days...

Indeed! Very nice decent camera is not peering out towards a horizon, or facing upwards to space.
akuo
Finnish meteorological institute says two out three lander footscrews have attached to the surface.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=f...&edit-text=
Tom Tamlyn
Media briefing postponed until 8:00 (18 minutes from now).
Gerald
QUOTE (walfy @ Nov 12 2014, 08:24 PM) *
Media briefing coming up shortly:

http://rosetta.esa.int/

Delayed for a half an hour to 20:00 CET.
Mercure
Media briefing postponed: it will be in about 20 minutes, 20.00 CET.
akuo
The Finnish says harpoons didn't deploy as planned. Google translate isn't very good with smaller (and difficult) languages.
machi
Localisation of the published ROLIS image.
fredk
QUOTE (mcgyver @ Nov 12 2014, 07:44 PM) *
Is this a game or a space mission?

It's totally typical for an event like this in the twitter age. This should all be cleared up at the press briefing...

PS - thanks for the proper translations. I'm done with google translate for now!
Explorer1
QUOTE (machi @ Nov 12 2014, 10:47 AM) *
Localisation of the published ROLIS image.

Very nice Machi! I was trying to use the big (full view) image to pinpoint a bit better.
Hungry4info
Great work identifying the ROLIS image. I was also trying that but wasn't as quick laugh.gif
MarsInMyLifetime
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Nov 12 2014, 12:50 PM) *
Very nice Machi! I was trying to use the big Rolis image to pinpoint....

Yes, very nice work--that's it! It looks as though the planners did as well as could be expected. Hopefully they missed that boulder--looks like they did. And two out of three screws probably means they are secured well enough to work some more options at the next contact window. Rosetta should totally be able to image Philae and provide some context for the science strategy going forward.
Gerald
From Thomas Reiter (via tv):
- Touch-down has been scheduled for 17:03:00 CET, happened at 17:03:30 CET.
- Several ROLIS images transmitted, one [from 3 km height] officially released thus far.
- Staus of harpoons not yet finally determined.
Roby72
Machi, nice work !
where you did find the new ROLIS image ?..it seems much nearer than the first published before...
Tom Tamlyn
Briefing started. "Don't worry, it's the right comet."
Rakhir
https://twitter.com/CiteEspace/status/532609197092139008

Saying that Philae is stable and batteries are charging.
machi
QUOTE (Roby72 @ Nov 12 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Machi, nice work !
where you did find the new ROLIS image ?..it seems much nearer than the first published before...

It's from Emily Lakdawalla's twitter.
centsworth_II
My take on locating the post landing image.
Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Well, no cloud of dust hanging all over; let's be thankful for small favours....
Tom Tamlyn
Speculating that Philae landed, bounced & turned, and then landed again.
anticitizen2
So CIVA pan may have been from altitude!

All's well that ends well.
katodomo
It would be awesome if you could later see marks from where they bounced off on the CIVA-P images.
Explorer1
OSIRIS will show everything for sure, sooner or later. Maybe we night even see that.
Even Huygens bounced, and in a lot strong gravity!

Paolo: I think if the harpoons are not anchored they will delay the drilling until the other science is done. Maybe they can fire them again later, spin up the flywheel just in case they fly off...
Paolo
if Philae is not anchored, I guess it will be a big problem for the SD2 drill...
dvandorn
Okay, from what I heard it sounds like Philae may be simply resting on the surface. There was no confirmation that the drill-footholds had secured a solid hold on the surface.

If Philae is on the surface and completely unsecured, but in an attitude that allows the science instruments to work, I guess I have a question for all you physics majors out there: How much force will it take to push Philae up off of the surface again? And is that amount of force exceeded by the lander's various planned movements?

-the other Doug (With my shield, not yet upon it)
xflare
Perhaps those were OSIRIS images rather than from Philae?
Mercure
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Nov 12 2014, 08:18 PM) *
Speculating that Philae landed, bounced & turned, and then landed again.

Yes, and the turn was detected because the generators showed fluctuations indicating that the solar panels received changing amounts of sunlight. The rotational movement was supposedly because they turned off the flywheel upon landing which *in turn* imparted rotation to Philae.

Also they lost signal a bit earlier than expected, but that could be due to imprecisions in their modelling, because of the uneven horizon of the comet.

A bit weird that this first briefing didn't contain any of the post-landing images already released unofficially.
Rakhir
https://twitter.com/IASorsay/status/532600137982697472

Is saying that harpoons have been triggered but have been fully rewinded.
Hungry4info
Fully rewinded as in no longer attached to the comet?
xflare
There is so much conflicting information out there unsure.gif huh.gif huh.gif
Paolo
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 12 2014, 08:26 PM) *
And is that amount of force exceeded by the lander's various planned movements?

I must have somewhere the figures for the pushdown force of the drill (I made my master thesis with the PI of SD2). I am quite sure that it is enough to topple the lander (which only weighs a few grams now)
Hungry4info
There's also significant uncertainty in how much of the pushing down of the drill will be translated to upward force on the lander. If the surface is as fluffy as I've been lead to believe, it may have a lot of give to it and the lander may be safe.
Y Bar Ranch
In my mental model I've always thought of it as more of a docking than a landing.

Can't wait to get a sense of the surface.
Rakhir
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Nov 12 2014, 08:34 PM) *
Fully rewinded as in no longer attached to the comet?

Yes, this tweet suggests that the barb rings of the anchor tip failed to hold the lander in place so were pulled out completely by the rewinding motor (soil too soft ?)
But better wait for official info tomorrow.
anticitizen2
Made a quick transcript of the end of Stephan Ulamec's statements, after he talked about the harpoons not firing.

"We had fluctuations in the radio link - not perfectly regular, but some kind of fluctuations. The signal always came back again, immediately, and we were always again receiving data, also science data from the lander. I have to say we have very good data already - the COSAC and Ptolemy people are very happy, and ROLIS got nice images which will soon be released I suppose - this instrument worked very nicely - also SESAME worked very nicely, MUPUS got some data. So we have plenty of data.

"Some of these data - also ROMAP - indicated that the lander may have lifted off again. We touched down, and we're rebouncing, very slowly, because the landing gear worked perfectly well, and it was designed to damp a majority of the impact energy. What we saw in the coming about 2 hours was fluctuation not only in the RF link, but also on the solar generator. Which could be interpreted, (again, don't cite me) that the lander lifted off, and started to turn itself because the flywheel was switched off at touchdown , so the lander would start to turn. About 2 hours later, this information of turning on the power generator stopped. We still got radio link, we still got science data from there, so maybe today we didn't just land once, we even landed twice!"

Wow, running down a flywheel while airborne sounds scary. The flywheel spun around the Z axis in the X-Y plane, so would that make the induced rotation around the Z axis?
Mercure
Since the landing would obviously always be the moment of maximum interest in the mission from mainstream media (i.e. what is read by voters and politicians holding the purse-strings) it is somewhat baffling that ESA didn't put a little bit more thought into their post-landing briefing. The landing seems to have gone well: the public and media outreach has been botched.
Fran Ontanaya
Well, the Philae rover now holds the record for the longest distance travelled on the surface of a comet.
scalbers
Mercure - Nice though that they seemed to be pretty open with the information they had. Perhaps the society there is more tolerant of the level of polish?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.