Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Tesheiner
Bye, bye, Erebus!
The journey south has started and I think it's time to start a new thread.

This is a very first estimation of the current position after sol 760 drive, plotted on top of a previous route proposal; I will double-check that once the back-looking navcams are downlinked.

Click to view attachment (141k)
(Sol 758 "drive-direction" pancam mosaic)

Edited: I measured the net drive to that point; it's about 31-33m35m.

PS: Algorimancer, your Photogrammetry and RangeFinder Application is simply great!!!
Bill Harris
Yes, onward bound! I hope Oppy gets Pancam images of the bedrock exposures as she moves away from away from this field of eroded craters. We need to document lateral changes in the Burns formation.

--Bill
avkillick
Seeing Oppy leaving Erebus is almost as good as seeing it arrive at Victoria (sometime this year we hope)
RedSky
Wasn't there supposed to be a certain point where the terrain begins to slope to the south and there was to be a "hell of a view" of the plains (and Victoria) spread out in view before us? Where was this to occur in relation to where Oppy currently is? Or am I recalling something else?
Phil Stooke
That's right, but it's probably a few hundred meters ahead.

Phil
centsworth_II
QUOTE (RedSky @ Mar 15 2006, 11:22 AM) *
Wasn't there supposed to be a certain point where the terrain begins to slope to the south and there was to be a "hell of a view" of the plains (and Victoria) spread out in view before us? Where was this to occur in relation to where Oppy currently is? Or am I recalling something else?

As I recall it's near the midpoint between Erebus and Victoria. That should be an interesting point for 360 degree panarama. (Has anyone thought of that?)
Burmese
Interesting horizontal 'layering' in a dune here, I can't recall seeing it so clearly elsewhere(until this side of Erebus):

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...KEP0695L0M1.JPG
atomoid
QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 16 2006, 02:49 PM) *
Interesting horizontal 'layering' in a dune here, I can't recall seeing it so clearly elsewhere(until this side of Erebus):

I remember seeing a lot of this most of the way between Endurance and now, but this is probably the most consistent and smoothest example before us. I assume this layering depicts the cyclic changes in weather patterns related to sand deposition. As the dunen get eroded, it reveals the strata created by earlier episodes where dunes get cemented by relatively stable weather and then covered during by episodes of higher sand transport.

The question which I hope someone here could answer, is how long these episodes are likely to be (are talking about episodes separated by decades long weather changes, or much longer changes due to pole procession?) Or maybe this hypothesis is off-base, just a guess...
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (atomoid @ Mar 16 2006, 10:29 PM) *
I remember seeing a lot of this most of the way between Endurance and now, but this is probably the most consistent and smoothest example before us. I assume this layering depicts the cyclic changes in weather patterns related to sand deposition. As the dunen get eroded, it reveals the strata created by earlier episodes where dunes get cemented by relatively stable weather and then covered during by episodes of higher sand transport.

The question which I hope someone here could answer, is how long these episodes are likely to be (are talking about episodes separated by decades long weather changes, or much longer changes due to pole procession?) Or maybe this hypothesis is off-base, just a guess...

Opinions seem to vary between slow and very slow movement - I'd buy even s-l-l-l-o-o-o-o-w-e-r. Precession of the poles and similar global changes strike me as being about right, but I'm sure there are other opinions.

BTW, I noticed an interesting article in New Scientist today regarding crater distribution and so forth - I'll post in the LPSC thread rather than here, though!

Bob Shaw
Ant103
QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 16 2006, 03:49 PM) *

I've ever seen this sort of "layering" dune. On my website, there is a color example of this dune (who are everywher around the landing site) :
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 17 2006, 08:47 AM) *
I've ever seen this sort of "layering" dune. On my website, there is a color example of this dune (who are everywher around the landing site) :

Thinking about it, the 'layering' may be an artefact of the psaltation of the particles involved, with - putting it crudely - bigger lumps simply failing to climb the hill.

Bob Shaw
Tesheiner
Oppy drove some 50m southwards (heading ~160º) on sol 762 and is currently at aprox. 25m of the outcrop on the center of this navcam pano.

Click to view attachment (195k)
djellison
Need to see some of the look-back-Navcams to really call it, but the driving actually looks a lot easier than I was expecting around here ohmy.gif

Doug
Tesheiner
Seems they are simply following the "valleys". The dunes in this area have a mean heading of 160º-170º, so that's the direction they are driving.
Sunspot
Alot of the image is missing, but do these dunes look alot smaller than the ones Opportunity encountered on it's way to Erebus? I thought they would be much bigger.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...RXP2370L2M1.JPG
Bill Harris
This is good news. I was hoping that the ripples-- driving surface, actually-- would has as good a pavement as we had during the "North Erebus Detour" or North of Purgatory 1. Keep in the ripple troughs, or the 'half tube' as the drivers call it and we should make good time.

--Bill
Phil Stooke
Here's Tesheiner's half-pan from 762 in my usual polar form. It's easy to match that triangular outcrop with the latest route map. Presumably we'll be on it after the next drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
That was the aim point since they left Erebus on sol 760.
I wonder if they will maintain the current heading (about SSE) after that outcrop or will start driving SE following the rocks...
Bill Harris
I suspect that they will go SSE using the rock outcrops as stepping stones whenever they can. Traveling in the troughs is not bad, but there is less uncertainty on rock. Remember that surprise that we had between South Shetland and "The Fourlane".

--Bill
Sunspot
I'm assuming Opportunity is in restricted sols at the moment... any idea how many more days it will last?
Tesheiner
Given the current timing Meridiani/JPL I would say Oppy is no longer on restricted sols. However, it's a weekend. smile.gif

I just checked the tracking web and tomorrow (Sunday) will be driving day.
Jeff7
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 17 2006, 05:08 AM) *
Oppy drove some 50m southwards (heading ~160º) on sol 762 and is currently at aprox. 25m of the outcrop on the center of this navcam pano.

Click to view attachment (195k)

Check out the bottom right of this panorama. More mini-craters.

Closeup

One on the far left of this picture

Visible here, lower right, with a cosmic ray hit right near it.
hugh
Well and truly leaving Erebus behind now. Looks like they made the right decision to explore the west rim rather than take the shorter east rim route south- not much to see from here…

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...RXP1795L0M1.JPG
bergadder
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 18 2006, 12:03 PM) *
Given the current timing Meridiani/JPL I would say Oppy is no longer on restricted sols. However, it's a weekend. smile.gif

I just checked the tracking web and tomorrow (Sunday) will be driving day.

I am very impressed by these 50M drives, I was expecting something in the 30m distance per drive sol. Is there an simple relationship between drive distance and drive time, based on start/stops for autonav?
Jeff7
I figure it has to do with the fact that they've got more experience driving, and the time spent at the various Purgatories has helped the drivers learn how to drive the rover more efficiently. And with better dune-detection parameters on the wheels (I guess it goes based on resistance), the rover can decide for itself if it's going into dangerous territory.
djellison
As I understand it - every X metres, the rover does a single visidom to measure actual progress compared to commanded progress. If there's above Y% slip, the drive aborts.

Doug
mhoward
Pretty picture from Sol 758: (2x2 Pancam L257 false-color)

Tesheiner
Another step on the way to Victoria.
Oppy drove about 45m on sol 765, up to the far edge of that triangular outcrop seen on 762 images.
Burmese
She didn't take any navcam pics of the track behind her and the sun was relatively high when the cameras were going so I am a little disorientated after this weekends' drive. Would this be the view in the direction of Victoria?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...YQP0695L0M1.JPG

In any case, it is clear she is moving onto higher ground as the horizon is getting a bit further away, and the dunes in the immediate area look easy. Directly south, though, it looks more rugged:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...YQP0695L0M1.JPG
djellison
Oh - a full Navcam pan will have been taken at the end of the drive, but the forward facing images are a higher priority than the backward facing ones, so they'll come down overnight or tomorrow.

Doug
jvandriel
Here is the 360 degree panoramic view from Sol 760.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel

and here from Sol 762.

Also taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
and a look with the L2 pancam on Sol 762.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
Another move on sol 766.
Edited: The net drive (assuming the location below is correct) was aprox. 35m.

This is the last navcam mosaic

Click to view attachment

... and where I think the rover is, based on 765 pancam images.

Click to view attachment
BrianL
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 21 2006, 08:39 AM) *
Another move on sol 766.
Edited: The net drive (assuming the location below is correct) was aprox. 35m.

This is the last navcam mosaic

Click to view attachment

Hi all,

As a longtime lurker I would just like to thank Tesheiner and so many others for the fine work they do in creating a context for the rovers' travels. Until I found this forum, I found it quite difficult to place the rovers at times until JPL did an updated route map.

If I could make a newbie request...

Could you occasionally mark Victoria's edges on the horizon of these pans so I know in which direction I should be straining my eyes?

Thanks
Brian
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Mar 17 2006, 10:43 AM) *
Alot of the image is missing, but do these dunes look alot smaller than the ones Opportunity encountered on it's way to Erebus? I thought they would be much bigger.

I was sort of expecting this. If you look at the best orbital images (sorry, don't have one handy) you can see that the texture of the dunes gets somoother the closer you get to the etched terrain.
Marcel
Yeah, you guys are doing great work ! Vandriel (groeten uit Edam), Tesheiner, you guys are fast !

I suddenly feel that Oppy's going to make it to Victoria. I'm almost sure.

I love these machines ! They are incredible. Let us not forget (it has been a thread before) to step beyond the daily stream of images sometimes and realize that they wake up every morning (just like we do), doing what they're told to....(just like we do....most of the time), work like dogs (like we do), struggle through problems (), go to sleep when energy's running out (), and warm their skins in the sun as soon as they can(). Without having a single cell alive in them.

I love to see the looong tracks on the images again, it's been a while...

Go Oppy Go (and don't break a wire) !
Tesheiner
QUOTE (BrianL @ Mar 21 2006, 08:19 PM) *
If I could make a newbie request...

Could you occasionally mark Victoria's edges on the horizon of these pans so I know in which direction I should be straining my eyes?

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

With or without markings you can do the following. Since they started the trek towards Victoria, the imaging pattern has been always the same: a 5x1 navcam panorama centered at 162º. Given that those navcam shots are spaced 36º (10x36=360) and that Victoria is currently at 150º (16º fov), the result is that it should be "visible" at the center image, just a bit to the left.

Or you can always check at the "Victoria on the Horizon" thread. smile.gif
Oersted
QUOTE (Marcel @ Mar 21 2006, 08:57 PM) *
I love these machines ! They are incredible. Let us not forget (it has been a thread before) to step beyond the daily stream of images sometimes and realize that they wake up every morning (just like we do), doing what they're told to....(just like we do....most of the time), work like dogs (like we do), struggle through problems (), go to sleep when energy's running out (), and warm their skins in the sun as soon as they can(). Without having a single cell alive in them.

I love to see the looong tracks on the images again, it's been a while...

Go Oppy Go (and don't break a wire) !

I think of Spirit as a rock climber, and Opportunity as a ship, sailing on the ocean from port to port...
Toma B
According to "MER Pancam Data Tracking Site" there will be no driving today... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

CODE
Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
767 p2373.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_drv_dir_4x1_L2R2
767 p2555.15 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_abilene_L257
767 p2600.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_tau
767 p2814.08 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_cal_targ_L257
767 Total    0   0   0   0   0   0

...or am I reading these data wrong?
jvandriel
A complete 360 degree panoramic view on the way to Victoria.

Taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 765.

jvandriel
jvandriel
This is the complete pancam L2 view from Sol 765.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Mar 22 2006, 10:44 AM) *

According to "MER Pancam Data Tracking Site" there will be no driving today... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

CODE
Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
767 Total    0   0   0   0   0   0

...or am I reading these data wrong?
[/quote]

Here is my guess.
Given that a "drive-direction" mosaic was already taken on sol 766, it makes no sense to take a new one unless the previous was either failed or looking to the wrong direction which is not the case. The fact that the tracking web is displaying only pancam sequences for that sol indicates, imho, that navcam and hazcam sequences for that sol are not yet included on the database BUT planned, uplinked and already executed; it's not the first time it happens. Those will be seen here later on as "unexpected sequences".
djellison
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 22 2006, 10:31 AM) *
looking to the wrong direction which is not the case.

For all we know, they might have decided to drive in a different direction based on the Navcam imagery, that wasnt covered in the Drive Dir Pancam imagery from the previous sol, and they've taken a day to recharge, take those images, and then move on.

Your suggestion's equally valid though - we'll find out in the next couple of hours.

Doug
antoniseb
According to "MER Pancam Data Tracking Site" there will be no driving today

That's bad for my EToA at Victoria of Sol 800. My optimistic guess assumed very little trouble or sight-seeing. Most of the terrain from here to there is low dunes on salt-flats (nothing new is obvious), and the team presumably would like to get to Victoria for possible new science, looking at deeper strata for this general location. Plus, the dunes are alligned favorably for a quick traverse.
djellison
Sight seing or not, there's still engineering constraints (you can't drive every single day) and human constraints ( restricted sols etc )

That we've had one sol which may not have had driving ( we don't know yet ) - is not only unsuprising, it's to be expected. I'd factor it - even if driving very aggresively, for driving to occur on average, every other day.

Doug
Tesheiner
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 22 2006, 03:13 PM) *
Sight seing or not, there's still engineering constraints (you can't drive every single day) and human constraints ( restricted sols etc )

... and weekends.

Given 22 working days & two weeks of restricted sols a month, more or less, that makes for about 15 driving days per month; and that's an aggressive estimation.
Oersted
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Mar 22 2006, 10:55 AM) *
A complete 360 degree panoramic view on the way to Victoria.

Taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 765.

jvandriel

Thanks for the pano. - That terrain just screams for Opportunity to put the pedal to the metal!
Tesheiner
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 22 2006, 11:35 AM) *
For all we know, they might have decided to drive in a different direction based on the Navcam imagery, that wasnt covered in the Drive Dir Pancam imagery from the previous sol, and they've taken a day to recharge, take those images, and then move on.

Your suggestion's equally valid though - we'll find out in the next couple of hours.

Doug

Nothing available yet at the exploratorium (due to Odissey safing, I guess).
But the tracking web tells the following:

CODE
2. What EDRs do we have on the ground from sol 767?

767 p1211.03 0   0   0   2   0   2    Unexpected sequence!!!!
767 p1311.07 0   0   0   2   0   2    Unexpected sequence!!!!

And those "unexpected sequence"s are fhaz and rhaz images taken at site/drive 66DT (previous one was 6600 on sol 766).
So, Oppy moved on sol 767. To which point? Who knows; the pancams were not yet downlinked and the hazcam pics are not available.

As a side note, the tracking web is also reporting NO planned sequences for tosol (768).
Toma B
Odysey is in safe-mode but maybe MGS or MEX can do something to help relaying data (images) from MERs?
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
djellison
The UHF sequences have to be written well in advance ( a few weeks ) and then checked and rechecked before being uplinked several days in advance.

By the time something is sorted with MEX or MGS, the Odyssey problem will be sorted.

I've asked JB to keep me updated,

Meanwhile it's just “FIX YOUR DAMN SPACECRAFT….please” to LMA and holding tight until she’s un-safed

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.