Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Tesheiner
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 24 2006, 06:30 AM) *
About the suggested route, I see two possibles routes. The blue (right side) is safest and the orange (left side) is also possible but requires a precise manouvering to skip over a small slope of crest. However, both route will meet again at 30 meters south.

Those rover drives do incredible things with these machines. I wouldn't be surprised if they take another path to the left of your orange proposal. I added that (in cyan) to your mosaic.
Bill Harris
Here is a clip from my "planning" map. The last Oppy location shown is from Sol 855 and shows the proposed route (green), the actual route (red), soft sand (yellow), and cobble patches (blue). The approach seems fairly straight forward.

--Bill
antoniseb
I have another question about how these restricted Sols work. It is now sunset on a drive day during restricted Sols. How long should it take before we have imaging from that drive?
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jun 24 2006, 12:06 PM) *
Here is a clip from my "planning" map. The last Oppy location shown is from Sol 855 and shows the proposed route (green), the actual route (red), soft sand (yellow), and cobble patches (blue). The approach seems fairly straight forward.

--Bill

The proposed route (green) crosses many sand crest in order to arrive as directly as possible to Beagle Crater. That is good route only for a more capable surface navigation rover.

However, in the practical way, the proposed route would most probably be desired if that goes southward with few and timely sand crest crossings. That is to arrive first at a mini-crater at West of Beagle Crater and from this, turn on left to East where is BC by driving mostly on outcrop.

Just a tought.

Rodolfo
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 24 2006, 06:49 PM) *
A side note: I'll be travelling for most of the week so probably (almost sure) won't have time to follow next moves and update the route map 'till mid/end next week.

I'll try and cover for you Tesh.
Bill Harris
Actuallly the "proposed" route should be thought of as a "preliminary approximate" route. It's not meant to be exact, but shows the general path. Oppy will continue to travel along the ripple troughs and skip over when possible.

--Bill
RNeuhaus
Today, at sol 859 (MER-B is at about 9pm, there is no driving plan but just navcam pictures on sky and pancam on soil and tau measures.

CODE
859 p1585.00 4   0   4   0   0   8    navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
859 p1950.24 2   0   0   2   0   4    nav_mtes_stare_doc_1_bpp_pri_57
859 p2113.13 13  0   0   0   0   13   pancam_magnet_array_L234567Rall
859 p2123.05 26  26  0   0   2   54   pancam_cal_w_sweep_L234567Rall
859 p2536.16 2   0   0   0   0   2    pancam_boggy_depot_L27
859 p2537.16 13  0   0   3   1   17   pancam_soil_L234567Rall
859 p2600.09 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau
859 p2600.09 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau

Sol 860, tomorrow, will be a driving sol pointing to 180 degree (South),

CODE
860 p0705.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_5x1_az_180_3_bpp
860 p1205.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_haz_penultimate_0.5_bpp_pri36
860 p1211.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
860 p1305.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_penultimate_0.5bpp_pri17
860 p1311.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15

Rodolfo
CosmicRocker
They are in the channel, and although it has a few twists and turns ahead, the practical route is straight ahead. We've passed several areas where the orbital imagery has suggested a possible outcrop-rich path pointing to the left, but each time, they have followed the texture.

These drivers know what they are doing. It will not be long, now...
Bill Harris
The Suits In Ithaca have decided, and rightfully so, that the evaporite is consistent enough to not require close looks along the way. I'm not in 100% agreement since I'm a big believer in facies changes and I would have liked to have had more close looks at outcrops as well as some chemistry (especially!).

But Oppy is in the groove and making good progress, and I'm sure that we'll look closely at Beagle when we get to _that_ roadcut.

--Bill
climber
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jun 25 2006, 01:01 PM) *
The Suits In Ithaca have decided, and rightfully so, that the evaporite is consistent enough to not require close looks along the way. I'm not in 100% agreement since I'm a big believer in facies changes and I would have liked to have had more close looks at outcrops as well as some chemistry (especially!).
--Bill

I quite agree with your opinion Bill. I've always agreed on the "pedal to the metal and stop for analysis when realy necessary" principle, but now, I guess we are approching different "VC disturbed" terrain so I'd like they stop, say every 100 meters from now on till Beagle then again till VC. They could either take "advantage" of restricted sols or not driving week-ends.
jvandriel
Here is the 360 degree panoramic view from Sol 857 and Sol 858.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
RNeuhaus
Thanks Jvandriel. Your stiching pictures has helped us much to localize where the MER-B is localized.

The distance between the crest send is aprox 2-3 meters (as reference, the MER has 1.00 meter width and 1.25 meter longitudinal). The width of crest of that zone helps much to MER as a roving rail.

Bill, I have understand with your aclaration. Recently, Oppy's drivers seems that Oppy has no plenty time to do geological cores as necessary. It seems that that zone has no much or substancial change of geological traces and the great awarness of power level of Oppy which is not so comfortable (see the other topic with Helvic's post : Whr Figures http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=59677

Helvic's post Minimum: 339whr from Sol 937 to Sol 965..

It seems like if the power levels are so low at sol's mentioned above, I am afraid that Oppy would be sitting on Beagle Crater doing lots searching like Spirit on Winter Quarters for a long time until the power level raises again to permit to rover to Victoria Crater. Maybe, it is a coincidence that when Oppy arrives at BC, its power levels will be at her minimum levels and at the same time, Oppy will take the advantage to do imaging, miniTes and others detailed observations around BC for many soles, maybe between 20-30 soles. That is a just a tougth

Rodolfo
helvick
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 25 2006, 03:51 PM) *
Oppy will take the advantage to do imaging, miniTes and others detailed observations around BC for many soles, maybe between 20-30 soles. That is a just a tougth

And there is a software update planned for the near future. It seems to me that finding a nice northerly tilted spot on BC would be an ideal spot to park while that was carried out.
djellison
The software upload is complete for Opportunity ( check the JPL site )

Doug
helvick
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 25 2006, 06:01 PM) *
The software upload is complete for Opportunity ( check the JPL site )

That's not how I read it.
. No files of the new flight software were uplinked via UHF this week. However, beginning with sol 864 (June 29, 2006), Opportunity will begin receiving flight software files via its daily UHF-band communication window as well as via the X-band high-gain antenna.

They've uploaded some of the update files via some high gain (DTE) sessions already but the bulk\remainder of the uploads will happen via UHF relay beginning next week. Once they've got all the update files they will need to park, run the upgrade and then test everything before hitting the road again.
From what I can see they've had 5 hours of DTE uplink which runs at around 2kbps AFAIK - total upload would be somewhere arounf 4MBytes so far. I seem to recall that the full flight software image is around 32Meg.
Bill Harris
Here is an L257 Pancam of the trough surface fromSol 859. The general character of the "sand" hasn't changed much during the trek South, although the size distribution of the Blueberries has skewed towards the smaller size and there are more angular fragments in the mix.

--Bill
djellison
Ahh - I misread 'more' as 'most'

iirc - it was 3 essentially 'full' days of DFE uplink for the uploads back in the sol 80ish timeframe - so you're right, plenty left to go.

Doug
jvandriel
Here is the mosaic of the latest trap "Jammerbugt".

Taken with the L7 pancam on Sol 842.

jvandriel
avkillick
I notice we are now 100 sols into this leg of the trip south to Victoria - if the first post of this thread is anything to go by.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (helvick @ Jun 25 2006, 01:03 PM) *
That's not how I read it.

They've uploaded some of the update files via some high gain (DTE) sessions already but the bulk\remainder of the uploads will happen via UHF relay beginning next week. Once they've got all the update files they will need to park, run the upgrade and then test everything before hitting the road again.
From what I can see they've had 5 hours of DTE uplink which runs at around 2kbps AFAIK - total upload would be somewhere arounf 4MBytes so far. I seem to recall that the full flight software image is around 32Meg.

Not yet I have found any detail about the changes of uploaded of new software. The only hint I have is that these new changes of software is for using more the MER high gain antenna in order to use x-band communications directly to Earth's antenna. That seems to be strange since the HGA has more dissadvantages than LGA in many respects:
1) Lower date rate that varies between 3.5 to 12 kbps depending to the distance between Mars and Earth. The UHF works with at constant of 128 kbps
2) x-band communication needs more power (I speculate it since its needs more power to send signals at much greater distance than to MGS up to 400 km above) than UHF communication.
3) x-band has fewer opportunities to communicate with Earth for at most three hours a day due to power and thermal limitations, even though Earth may be in view much longer. LGA have more opportunities to send signals to ODY which orbits around Mars in every 2 hours, thus making about 29.5 longitude degree every orbit. I deduct that means that MER have only up to 2 opportunities to meet with ODY, that is every 12 hours. I hope that someone more knowledge about the ODY orbit, jump on it and correct me.

Then what are the reason of using more HGA? Are ODY or MGS having more troubles with its communication capabilities due to age?

Rodolfo
BrianL
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 24 2006, 08:51 AM) *
Those rover drives do incredible things with these machines. I wouldn't be surprised if they take another path to the left of your orange proposal. I added that (in cyan) to your mosaic.

And of course, the one trough nobody picked to the right of the blue line appears to be the one they are in.

Brian
CosmicRocker
Yeah. I guess they were trying to avoid that ripple crossing the path into the trough to the left. The path forward looks good so far, but I would have liked to see the Pancams before going to bed. That wil be something to look forward to in the morning.
helvick
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 26 2006, 01:57 AM) *
Not yet I have found any detail about the changes of uploaded of new software. The only hint I have is that these new changes of software is for using more the MER high gain antenna in order to use x-band communications directly to Earth's antenna
Then what are the reason of using more HGA? Are ODY or MGS having more troubles with its communication capabilities due to age?
Rodolfo

I didn't pick that up in any of what I read - do you have a reference? I was also looking for more detail on this as I never got to read the NYT article that was posted a while back on the subject.

The other references that I've seen on this indicated that one major update was the inclusion of a feature that would allow both rovers to be more effective when searching for DD activity (and any other dynamic things) by running analysis on board and only downlinking DD search images if they appeared to include any changes.

Beyond that there are a number of minor navigational\orientation bugs that the drivers have been dealing with all through the mission that I'm pretty sure are being patched in this version. I can't find the links right now but if you track down the papers on driving the rovers that the team have published you will find a detailed explanation of some of these and the problems they have caused.
jvandriel
Wheeltracks.

A mosaic of the wheeltracks on Sol 836.

Taken with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel
djellison
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 26 2006, 01:57 AM) *
Then what are the reason of using more HGA?

They're using HGA to UPLINK TO the rover...not downlink from it It's the simplest way to get the data up to the rover as quickly as possible with the least latency as possible. For UHF relay uplink, they have to have the data ready to go at the Odyssey uplink before the overflight, which can be some time.

Doug
jaredGalen
It seems they have been uploading the softwate lately but not installing anything. Is this correct?

If so, just how big are these updates that are uploading and what, if any impact may it have on memory resources? Of course they have all this sussed out and there isn't much danger of running into trouble, still curious though smile.gif
djellison
They have to upload ALL of it before they can reboot into the new flight software smile.gif Compared to the total size of the flash, it's not that big.

Doug
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 26 2006, 05:33 AM) *
They're using HGA to UPLINK TO the rover...not downlink from it It's the simplest way to get the data up to the rover as quickly as possible with the least latency as possible. For UHF relay uplink, they have to have the data ready to go at the Odyssey uplink before the overflight, which can be some time.

Doug

Helvick, good to hear from your comments. So the new software update is not critical unless its of low critical since it is related to improve the selectivity of search operations before to downlink data to Earth

Doug, That sounds logical. Thanks for your comments.

Rodolfo
kungpostyle
Closer

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...CNP0705L0M1.JPG
WindyT
QUOTE (kungpostyle @ Jun 26 2006, 09:08 PM) *

you can just about count the number of dune ridges Oppy has to cross to get to the tangentially closest part of Corner/Beagle Crater.
Bill Harris
Technically, not that much of an image; artistically, quite stunning.

Oppy settling down for the night.

--Bill
climber
Oh yes! Just unbelievable to get a new perspective after that many Sols! One of my favorite.
RNeuhaus
A late afternoon light, is very romantic and relaxing to contemplate as long as the sun disappear under the Mars. smile.gif

Rodolfo
kenny
That image is a beauty - all the more so for the imperfection of the broken dune crest, showing this is an active place. You can almost sense the atmosphere, and a chill light breeze stirring as the temperature drops

Kenny
jvandriel
Here is a navcam view in the drive direction.

Taken on Sol 860 with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
mhoward
Sol 860-861

Sunspot
Tiger Dunes.
Bill Harris
Great! We're starting to get consistent views of that etched terrain which borders the ejecta blanket. What will tha zone be like? Will it be disturbed and mixed or will it be the same as we've seen since leaving Endurance? There will be so much to see...

--Bill
Marcel
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 23 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Septic tank...
LUXURY
etc smile.gif

Doug

I know, it's noise, but I finally found a video link of "four yorkshiremen".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo...%20Yorkshiremen

It's just brilliant. laugh.gif laugh.gif
RNeuhaus
Post was removed. A very old picture has just come today at qt.exploratorium with the date June 27, 2006! They looked alike. Confirmed by the notification of hortonheardawho. Thanks smile.gif

Rodolfo
hortonheardawho
Er, 198228896 timestamp is April 13, 2006.
jvandriel
The view in the drive direction on Sol 860.

Taken with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel
Sunspot
How much longer will Opportunity be in restricted sols? Must end soon?
djellison
Normally about 2 weeks isnt it?

Doug
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 28 2006, 03:43 PM) *
Normally about 2 weeks isnt it?

Doug

JPL' site said on june15th that "next week Oppy will be in restricted sols". I thought it was more around 10 days than 2 weeks so she must be back to normal ops in another 2-3 sols
mhoward
Sol 862

Nirgal
Here is a manually colorized version of a part of this great Sol862 view
which inspired me to this latest "Alien Landscape" image

Unfortunately, because of my moving to a new accomodation,
I havn't had the time to actively participate in the forum recently ... guess I missed a lot of fun with the Pools (Polls?) smile.gif

Now the relocation and furnishing (not much left at the local IKEA now wink.gif
is almost done and the PC equipment installed again and online ...
just in time, as it seems, to follow Oppys final approach to the Great Victoria Crater !

Hopefully I will be proven dead wrong with my Sol 1111 prediction wink.gif

Greets
Nirgal
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 28 2006, 08:17 AM) *
How much longer will Opportunity be in restricted sols? Must end soon?

From June 29, Oppy will able to start to receive uplink commands daily. AFAIK, I think it is related to the status of uploaded of new version MER mobility operating software for MER. If all goes fine, then the daily uplink commands would start on date.

Rodolfo
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Jun 28 2006, 03:34 PM) *
Here is a manually colorized version of a part of this great Sol862 view
which inspired me to this latest "Alien Landscape" image

Unfortunately, because of my moving to a new accomodation,
I havn't had the time to actively participate in the forum recently ... guess I missed a lot of fun with the Pools (Polls?) smile.gif

Now the relocation and furnishing (not much left at the local IKEA now wink.gif
is almost done and the PC equipment installed again and online ...
just in time, as it seems, to follow Oppys final approach to the Great Victoria Crater !

Hopefully I will be proven dead wrong with my Sol 1111 prediction wink.gif

Greets
Nirgal

Very nice picture smile.gif , I think it is very unique, nothing similar to ones of Earth since these are very much symethrical that they have no matching!

Rodolfo
edstrick
From a few days ago: "...The Suits In Ithaca have decided, and rightfully so, that the evaporite is consistent enough to not require close looks along the way. ..."

Victoria is the last and BIGGEST prize available to Opportunity with any realistic chance of reaching it. We have a greater chance of substantially new data from there than anywhere Oppy can reach.

Assuming we have a working, healthy rover when the next martian spring rolls around, we'll presumably have super-high-resolution COLOR imagery of Victoria and the etched terrain surrouinding it. At that point, we'll be able to micro-manage a tour of the etched terrain around Victoria, checking out small craters, unusual evaporite outcrops, "anomalous" areas of whatever kind may show up that we currently see only with marginal resolution from orbit. We might for example find multiple dark patches of debris, varying in color perhaps, corresponding to different patches of meteorite debris or secondary ejecta from around Mars. Some of the small dark spots in the current best image of the area may well be debris fields rather than dune shadows or small crater forms. I just can't tell from the current data. When we have the pics sometime in the fall or winter.... it'll be time to start planning "after Victoria"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.