Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Tesheiner
Oppy drove again on sol 805785; that's what I get from the tracking web (new site/drive id=68M8).
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

However, the Exploratorium (or something in the data path [*]) seems to be stuck again so... no images for the time being. sad.gif

[*] The strange thing is that there *are* newer images for Spirit.
antoniseb
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 10 2006, 05:07 AM) *
Oppy drove again on sol 805;

How can that be? It is only Sol 786 for Oppy right now?
Toma B
QUOTE (antoniseb @ Apr 10 2006, 02:47 PM) *
How can that be? It is only Sol 786 for Oppy right now?

Tesheiner mixed up things with numbers...he meant 785...

But it is really strange that there are no drive images from sol785...and sol 786 will not be driving day according to "Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface".
I hope everything is OK... sad.gif
Maybe Opportunity is in "restricted sols" again... sad.gif
djellison
Charged the cells, flushed out the flash (noticed the old MI images that came down?) , could be a good week of roving ahead smile.gif

Doug
Tesheiner
B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Apr 10 2006, 02:23 PM) *

Tesheiner mixed up things with numbers...he meant 785...
[/quote]

Oh! That's the effect of Easter holidays which have already started for me. biggrin.gif

B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Apr 10 2006, 02:23 PM) *

But it is really strange that there are no drive images from sol785...and sol 786 will not be driving day according to "Pancam Data Tracking Web Interface".
[/quote]

The images *were* downlinked and seems to be available to the MER science team, but not yet to us (via Exploratorium) on the internet.
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view

taken on Sol 782 with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
Nirgal
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 10 2006, 02:24 PM) *
Charged the cells, flushed out the flash (noticed the old MI images that came down?) , could be a good week of roving ahead smile.gif

Doug

good uplifting comment smile.gif

BTW.: for the last couple of weeks it seemed quite normal that the Oppy images appeared
on exlporatorium with half a day or so of delay compared to the Spirit ones, so probably
nothing ominous here ...

looking forward to a successful 300+ meters driving week smile.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Apr 10 2006, 09:58 AM) *
looking forward to a successful 300+ meters driving week smile.gif

Up to now at sol 782, in 24 soles, Oppy has advanced 511 meters, it is to say, around 170 (150 thks to tty) meters per week at present pace of 21.3 m/sol. Not so fast as you expected. sad.gif

Rodolfo
Bobby
And She's off again:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...M8P1311R0M1.JPG

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...M8P1311R0M1.JPG

rolleyes.gif

In this image. Is the white line off on the horizon the rim of Victoria Crater???

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...M8P2386L2M1.JPG
MahFL
There seems to be something white sticking up on the horizon, about 1/4 way in from the left.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...M8P2386R2M1.JPG
Burmese
She's also turned around and is driving forward:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G1P1325L0M1.JPG
tty
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Apr 10 2006, 05:08 PM) *
Up to now at sol 782, in 24 soles, Oppy has advanced 511 meters, it is to say, around 170 meters per week at present pace of 21.3 m/sol. Not so fast as you expected. sad.gif
Rodolfo

Er... I make that 150 meters per week unless you have gone over to an eight-day week smile.gif

tty
antoniseb
QUOTE (Burmese @ Apr 10 2006, 11:19 AM) *
She's also turned around and is driving forward:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G1P1325L0M1.JPG

This image shows Opportunity has crossed over a dune with relatively little slippage. That's good news.

When I was looking at the map for the insanely optimistic where to go if Opportunity never dies, mu first reaction was to just keep going close to South to stay in the lanes. This images shows that purgatory dune may have been an anomaly and East-West driving is no big deal.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (antoniseb @ Apr 10 2006, 01:58 PM) *
This image shows Opportunity has crossed over a dune with relatively little slippage. That's good news.

When I was looking at the map for the insanely optimistic where to go if Opportunity never dies, mu first reaction was to just keep going close to South to stay in the lanes. This images shows that purgatory dune may have been an anomaly and East-West driving is no big deal.

Now Oppy is tranversing in a soggy sand zone so it helps much to improve the traction (more compact sand) for climbing between lines of ripples bumps.

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/The_Soggy...ds_of_Mars.html

Rodolfo
imran
Any idea how much distance was covered? Based on the images, it seems to be at least 15-20 meters.
Tesheiner
I'm still a little bit lost, but my guess is on the range of 40-60m.
Nirgal
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 10 2006, 10:26 PM) *

hoping for a 5 x 50m driving week (assuming no "restricted sols")

smile.gif

(BTW: how often and when do those "restricted sols" occur ? )
djellison
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Apr 10 2006, 09:13 PM) *
hoping for a 5 x 50m driving week (assuming no "restricted sols")

smile.gif

(BTW: how often and when do those "restricted sols" occur ? )

It takes about 40 days for Sol's and Days to lag by 1 full day (i.e. Sol 40 = Day 41)

Thus - it's a cycle of 40 days, for which I'd guess each rover is restricted for about 10-14 sols (although I'll ask Jim next QnA time)

Doug
dilo
QUOTE (MahFL @ Apr 10 2006, 04:55 PM) *
There seems to be something white sticking up on the horizon, about 1/4 way in from the left.

I discussed this feature in another post.

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood the feature you're referring... this small bright point lies exactly on the highest point of Vivtoria western rim and could be something like an outcrop in the crater interior... however, is probably too early for such a conclusion!
dot.dk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 10 2006, 08:26 PM) *

Backwards looking navcams now down. They can probably help you smile.gif

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...M8P1795R0M1.JPG
Sunspot
Opportunity must be back in restricted sols.
Bobby
Is Opportunity in restricted sols and how long does a restricted Sol last in days???
paxdan
QUOTE (Bobby @ Apr 11 2006, 03:30 AM) *
Is Opportunity in restricted sols and how long does a restricted Sol last in days???

Scroll up five posts for the answer
Sunspot
Im wondering if the drive was aborted due to slippage in the dune in front... it doesnt look like a long drive to me. or I could be reading the scenery wrong lol
Tesheiner
Just 6m (aprox.) towards the dune.
When I saw the new navcams I thought "Purgatory III", but then I downloaded the hazcams and there seems to be no visual evidence of slippage.

<bad joke>
Looking to the "positive" side, this move is good to my sol 960 bet.
</bad joke>
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view from Sol 785 and Sol 786.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
Info from the data tracking web: no move tosol (788) but only tomorrow.
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 12 2006, 08:07 PM) *
Info from the data tracking web: no move tosol (788) but only tomorrow.

So, we're clearly in a restricted sol period.
That's good for your "bad joke" Tesheiner laugh.gif
Bubbinski
I wonder why they only moved a short distance....when I checked the hazcam pics, the rover didn't look stuck or anything like that, but some of the tracks looked a little "deep"....maybe the rover found some slightly deeper sand and cut off the drive before anything bad could happen?? Maybe the drivers are evaluating the route and deciding whether to change direction?
Bobby
And it looks like She has not moved much at all: Is she resting, a problem or is it restricted sol time ? unsure.gif

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...NSP1375R0M1.JPG
Burmese
The arm is not deployed at the end of this sequence, either...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...NSP1275L0M1.JPG

So either no deployment, not end of sequence, or....?
general
Another computer glitch, perhaps? unsure.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (general @ Apr 13 2006, 09:24 PM) *
Another computer glitch, perhaps? unsure.gif

I sure hope *not* this is the same symptom as with Spirits sudden wheel death .. happening just around the same sol as for spirit sad.gif

Oh oh, I really *don't* want to win my 1111-Sols-bet this way sad.gif sad.gif
Bubbinski
It looks like the arm was deployed on 4/11 when Oppy stopped at its (current?) spot...could those hazcam pics from 4/12 be leftovers from 4/11? Or could the arm have extended on 4/11 and retracted on 4/12?

By the way, I just saw some images from today (4/13) on the exploratorium, including micro imager shots of the soil (in front of Oppy?), so it looks like some arm work was done. I sure hope they do some moving today or tomorrow, some good driving.

Micro Image of Soil

4/11 Oppy Arm Deployment
climber
Oh..oh! MI shot doesn't meet what we see with the hazcam! Looks like sand around only.
Tesheiner
Oh, no problem at all.

First of all, those hazcam images posted by Bobby and Burmese have a site/drive id 68NS, while the "post-drive" images have ids 68NT. What all that means? It means that the referred images were taken while the rover was already moving.
Search for the hazcams with ids 68NT and you will see the IDD deployed as usual.
Here it is: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...NTP1151L0M1.JPG. Remember that the dates at the exploratorium have NO relation to the dates in which the images were taken.

After that "short" drive on sol 787 there was a sol (788) without no driving activity (imho, Oppy is in restricted sols again) and tosol (789) was planned as driving sol. So let's just wait for the fresh pics that should be downlinked this late night (GMT) and see if Oppy makes another 40-60m move southwards (or maybe SE).

wink.gif
Shaka
Don't panic, guys. The time stamp shows it's an ancient MI of ol' Rockbiter. We're still waiting for today's views. unsure.gif
mhoward
QUOTE (climber @ Apr 13 2006, 09:04 PM) *
Oh..oh! MI shot doesn't meet what we see with the hazcam! Looks like sand around only.

That MI is from way back on Sol 719 (70 sols ago) - just didn't get downloaded until now.
MMB is a great tool for checking the sol on these things (though I do mention it myself) - there's also a command line program for getting the sol from an image name, that someone could direct you to.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (mhoward @ Apr 13 2006, 11:19 PM) *
there's also a command line program for getting the sol from an image name, that someone could direct you to.

Search for "rawid" here on the forum and you can find the link and some tips.
Chmee
Are we now officially on "Hell of a View"? Definately looks like we crossed something! ph34r.gif
mhoward
North and south views from Sol 789:

The drive-direction Pancams are almost East. Looks like we'll be taking off that way soon.
dilo
QUOTE (Chmee @ Apr 14 2006, 01:44 AM) *
Are we now officially on "Hell of a View"? Definately looks like we crossed something! ph34r.gif

agree. based on this image, Oppy is now descending... smile.gif
MichaelT
Dilo, the linkt you posted is not complete, unfortunately unsure.gif
qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Q9P1311R0M1.JPG

Michael
Tman
Guess it's this one (according "Q9P1311") http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Q9P1311R0M1.JPG

Oppy crossed one of the hills of Meridiani biggrin.gif
climber
Oppy crossed one of the hills of Meridiani biggrin.gif
[/quote]
Welcome to the climber's club smile.gif wink.gif
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view on the way to Victoria.

Taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 787 and Sol 788.

Sorry for the bad Horizon in 1 place, but Autostitch did not match very well.

jvandriel
David
Is it possible that what's visible on the horizon isn't Victoria, but the ring of bright outcrops that outlines the smoother, outcrop-less zone around Victoria?
Marz
wheel.gif Nice driving! smile.gif

I saw some interesting features in this navcam. The small fissure leaves the soil above it a darker hue than the surrounding soil. Could this be a temperature difference that somehow reduces frost/hydration of the soil?

More interesting was what appears to be a large fissure. Is it a fault? Dare I go out on a limb and call it a channel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.