Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
jvandriel
Here is a mosaic of 4 images ( 1 with some missing data ) from bedrock with layers.

Taken with the L7 pancam on Sol 827.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Opportunity stuck again.

Here is a mosaic of images made on Sol 830, Sol 832 and Sol 835

with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view

of Opportunity stuck again.

Taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 833, 834 and 835.

jvandriel
Phil Stooke
As always we are indebted to jvandriel for a great panorama. Here it is in polar form:

Phil

Click to view attachment
antoniseb
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 5 2006, 07:15 AM) *
As always we are indebted to jvandriel for a great panorama. Here it is in polar form:
Click to view attachment

Wow, that makes it pretty clear that Opportunity was trying to go through a trough, and got stuck. I guess they will guide it North a few tens of meters and make an East-West decision there.
paxdan
Interesting to note the smaller ripples running across the main trough in the drive direction.
Tesheiner
Those east-west oriented ripples combined with the turn-in-place manouver are (my wild guess) the culprit of this event.
Bill Harris
We have E-W ripples, the darkish shadow/stain running along the trough and a "mottled" or rough appearance of the ripple face to the East of the Rover (although that may have been caused by wheels throwing the sand/silt around?). This area looks mooshier.

Thanks for the 360 pan and the polar!

--Bill
Tesheiner
I think it's time to resume this thread. smile.gif

Fresh nav/pancam pics downlinked on sol 842. Based on the navcams I plotted this possible driving path towards NW.

Click to view attachment
kenny
Hey, that's backwards!! No way..... Kenny mad.gif
Tesheiner
> Hey, that's backwards!! No way..... Kenny

That's where the cameras are pointing, and that's the imagery they use for drive planning. smile.gif

"One step backwards and two steps forward."
Bill Harris
Think of it as a step sideways, like this:
Tesheiner
That's more or less the idea.
Actually, last pancams are not completely inside the navcams fov but are looking more westward. It gives me the impression they are not only planning the next step but the following ones. Sort of searching for the "Yellow Bricks".
kenny
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jun 7 2006, 03:12 PM) *
Think of it as a step sideways, like this:

Now that, I like .... just follow Judy and Elton. Kenny smile.gif
RNeuhaus
Not good idea of the probable route. It means more risk since it needs to cross over many ripples of crest toward west before taking the south route. I would rather continue on the bottom of ripples going south.

Rodolfo
mhoward
Joffan
The trouble is, Rodolfo, that this area seems to have a lot of these ladder-formation drifts, with the main N-S drifts joined by the E-W "rungs", so there isn't a clear bottom trough to use. Perhaps Jammerbugt was an extreme example of the type but there are other cases visible in the nav/pan photos. Even the orbiter images suggest this effect where the laddering may extend to an outcrop area just to the SW of Oppy's current location.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 7 2006, 07:22 PM) *
Not good idea of the probable route. It means more risk since it needs to cross over many ripples of crest toward west before taking the south route. I would rather continue on the bottom of ripples going south.

I don't see a risk because of two factors:
- The ripples (on mine or similar proposal) are fairly small and N-S oriented.
- The actual crossings "on sand" cover less then the wheels lenght (1.25m, iirc); there is always a set of wheels on solid ground.
Shaka
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 7 2006, 04:17 AM) *
Sort of searching for the "Yellow Bricks".

Blue bricks, Tesh, blue bricks!
Look, you can see them from here:Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Who was worried about taking too much time to study the sandtrap?

Here we go!
Sol 843 is driving day. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

CODE
843 p0705.03 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_180_3_bpp
843 p1151.04 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
843 p1154.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
843 p1205.06 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_penultimate_0.5_bpp_pri17
843 p1211.03 2   0   0   2   0   4    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
843 p1275.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
843 p1305.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_penultimate_0.5bpp_pri17
843 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
843 p1375.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_hazcam_0.5bpp_pri_41
843 p2424.07 8   0   0   8   2   18   pancam_drive_direction_4x1_L2R2
Tesheiner
Bye, bye, Purgatory-III; see you ... hopefully never again! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
(Navcam mosaic, sol 843)

Edited: Added a fifth image to the mosaic.
climber
[quote name='Tesheiner' date='Jun 8 2006, 03:55 PM' post='57560']
Bye, bye, Purgatory-III; see you ... hopefully never again! biggrin.gif
(Navcam mosaic, sol 843)

Don't be shy Tesh, tell us how much they pay you to follow YOUR route?
Will be nice to see how Oppy did cross the dune out of view there
Tesheiner
Well, looking to the post-drive images (nav & pancams) it seems they don't plan to deviate westwards any longer but drive southwards again.

It's just me or anybody else here see the sand just ahead as "fluffy" as P-III? unsure.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 8 2006, 03:49 PM) *
Well, looking to the post-drive images (nav & pancams) it seems they don't plan to deviate westwards any longer but drive southwards again.

It's just me or anybody else here see the sand just ahead as "fluffy" as P-III? unsure.gif

I think CosmicRocker is right on this matter:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=56538

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=56700

I think they should try to stick to the rocky road or, in the absence of it, try to follow the contour of this buried craters rim...
mhoward
120 degree wide perspective view of the sandtrap, for comparison (I guess the other frames aren't listed in the pointing data yet).

ustrax
QUOTE (mhoward @ Jun 8 2006, 04:12 PM) *
120 degree wide perspective view of the sandtrap, for comparison (I guess the other frames aren't listed in the pointing data yet).

And the beacon is back! biggrin.gif
fredk
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 8 2006, 03:20 PM) *

Err... If you mean the cosmic ray hit mysterious speck in the sky above the right rim of Victoria, then I think it's clear that a band of renegade far-rimmers have breached our defenses and booted the beacon from its rightful spot on the near rim over to the far side. ohmy.gif wink.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 8 2006, 05:16 PM) *
Err... If you mean the cosmic ray hit mysterious speck in the sky above the right rim of Victoria, then I think it's clear that a band of renegade far-rimmers have breached our defenses and booted the beacon from its rightful spot on the near rim over to the far side. ohmy.gif wink.gif

Fear not my friend...
Everything is under control... rolleyes.gif

Tesheiner
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 8 2006, 05:20 PM) *

Not really (and I'm a near-rimmer too).
If we are talking about the white dot on this pancam, it's too close to CC (aprox. 7.2º). The beacon, near or far rim, is about 15º (plus/minus 0.5º) to the left of CC.
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 8 2006, 05:35 PM) *
Not really (and I'm a near-rimmer too).
If we are talking about the white dot on this pancam, it's too close to CC (aprox. 7.2º). The beacon, near or far rim, is about 15º (plus/minus 0.5º) to the left of CC.

No no no Señor Tesheiner...Aqui:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P0705L0M1.JPG

wink.gif
Tesheiner
You have 20/20 vision, eh Ustrax? cool.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 8 2006, 06:55 PM) *
You have 20/20 vision, eh Ustrax? cool.gif

I do, I do...
And it automatically calculates paralaxes... blink.gif
tongue.gif
Shaka
Ole!
jvandriel
A look in the drive direction on Sol 842. ohmy.gif

Taken with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel
Shaka
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jun 8 2006, 09:59 AM) *

jvandriel

Hmmm. The question is do we do this as the crow flies or as the sailboat tacks?
Two quite different journeys! unsure.gif
imipak
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jun 8 2006, 07:57 PM) *
Ole!

Q: Does a rover have the duende nature?

I suspect the going is going to be a bit tougher and slower in the weeks ahead. From the various pans it looks to me as if Oppy veered left and tried to cross the ripple almost at the 'root', where it merges with the main N-S dune. But even though this little incident (not accident! smile.gif appears to have been partly just bad luck, possibly exacerbated by the turning and back-and-forthing breaking the crust layer... there does seem to be a subtly different texture to the dunes near where Oppy fell through the crust, and there appear to be similar areas up ahead... 'appears' to me, anyway, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to wonder if my Sol 987 arrival prediction might have been over-confident...
marscat
Large-size perspective views from sol 843:

Zeke4ther
Has anyone noticed how much the pavment seems to move when Opportunity drives over it.
You can see it pretty clearly in this image. Notice how the sand has shifted and fallen into the cracks by the large pavment block near the rover tracks.

Would any of the geologists in the crowd like to comment on this? What can this tell us about the local
geology?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...GGF0006L0M1.JPG
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 7 2006, 02:44 PM) *
I don't see a risk because of two factors:
- The ripples (on mine or similar proposal) are fairly small and N-S oriented.
- The actual crossings "on sand" cover less then the wheels lenght (1.25m, iirc); there is always a set of wheels on solid ground.

Yes there is some risk unless the Oppy goes further north until the ripples sizes are lower. If Oppy turn on West, so we are going to have another lamentation! The risk is that Oppy with a very cranky speed, won't be able to climb a very soft slope. The speed is important to overcome any ripple. So I advise to run on the bottom of the ripples where has less sand amount since it is closer to outcrop.

Let us see what the rovers evaluate the many route options: Risk-Time-Capability. A good mix of trilogy will work great.

Rodolfo
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jun 7 2006, 03:32 PM) *
Blue bricks, Tesh, blue bricks!
Look, you can see them from here...
...and therin lies the problem, I think. Opportunity has only been using the L2/R2 filters lately, and that makes it difficult for her to see the blue line on a dark background at a distance.

Señor Tesheiner, a slight modification of the route maps might save the mission. laugh.gif
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 8 2006, 11:39 AM) *

Si, allí si está!

QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jun 8 2006, 02:59 PM) *

Taken with the L2 pancam.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...pe=post&id=6143
jvandriel

On that way, Oppy won't be able to cross these crest of ripples !

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
> On that way, Oppy won't be able to cross these crest of ripples !

Indeed, another set of pancams (looking south) were taken on sol 843 after driving; usual procedure for planning next movements.

BUT tosol (844) plan contains only another drive-direction pancam mosaic; no more driving-related sequences. It means, either the tracking web is filtering some sequences or there is no movement planned for today. If it's the former, means they are searching for a different path. We'll see.

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jun 9 2006, 05:33 AM) *
...and therin lies the problem, I think. Opportunity has only been using the L2/R2 filters lately, and that makes it difficult for her to see the blue line on a dark background at a distance.

Exactly! I already said they should take the driving mosaics in color (L257) not only B&W. laugh.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (marscat @ Jun 9 2006, 04:44 AM) *
Large-size perspective views from sol 843:

Marscat?
It's you mhoward or do we have another marscat?
mhoward
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 9 2006, 07:49 AM) *
Marscat?
It's you mhoward or do we have another marscat?

It's me; I was just messing around. I don't think I'll use that account.
climber
[quote name='mhoward' date='Jun 9 2006, 03:41 PM' post='57747']
It's me; I was just messing around. I don't think I'll use that account.

You mean, THIS mhoward ? :
mhoward
Yes; hard to believe I'd ever do anything goofy... blink.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 9 2006, 08:03 AM) *
BUT tosol (844) plan contains only another drive-direction pancam mosaic; no more driving-related sequences. It means, either the tracking web is filtering some sequences or there is no movement planned for today. If it's the former, means they are searching for a different path. We'll see.

Mmm, no pics downlinked yet... unsure.gif
Maybe I'm a bit impatient but they were expected to be "on earth" at about 1245 GMT (reference).
fredk
Sol 844 pics down. Looks like a short move. But boy, does that beacon glisten beautifully on the near rim!
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 9 2006, 11:05 AM) *
Sol 844 pics down. Looks like a short move. But boy, does that beacon glisten beautifully on the near rim!

Beautiful view of Near Rim! smile.gif

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 9 2006, 09:53 AM) *
Maybe I'm a bit impatient but they were expected to be "on earth" at about 1245 GMT (reference).

Good for posting an interesting URL reference! wink.gif

Rodolfo
mhoward
Sol 844:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.