Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
GravityWaves
thanks for the updates guys
Bobby
Oppy is moving south. Updated pictures at Exploratorium dated March 23:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...DTP1311R0M1.JPG
mhoward
QUOTE (Bobby @ Mar 23 2006, 08:15 PM) *

It would be more accurate to say that she moved south and we're finally seeing the pictures. The pictures are from Sol 767; we're just now receiving them in the early hours of Sol 769.
Tesheiner
Exactly.
Those are the pics downlinked via the HGA and probably the only ones until Odissey is back on duty.

Mmm, don't ask for any driving estimation based on that pics. smile.gif
Bobby
Was that picture I sent mhoward & Tesheiner taken on Sol 768? Hopefully I didn't send a picture taken a couple days ago? mad.gif

Well I do hope to see some current pictures from there soon.
Sunspot
QUOTE (Bobby @ Mar 23 2006, 08:15 PM) *

That looks like it was quite a long drive.
MahFL
Nice and straight drive too, she is just Zooming along smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (MahFL @ Mar 24 2006, 12:58 AM) *

Kind of like those days of "can't wait to see Vostok". That was only a year ago, seems like three.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Mar 24 2006, 01:38 AM) *
That looks like it was quite a long drive.

Similar to previous ones, I would say. We can't see the manouver starting point due to the hazcam low height and the ripples and I can't recognise any feature on previous site images, but my wild guess is something on the 30-50m range.

We must wait for the nav&pancam pics.

QUOTE (MahFL @ Mar 24 2006, 01:58 AM) *

Straight line but crossing some ripples.
djellison
Yeah - distance from Hazcam is a very hard one - but it does look quite good

Doug
Tesheiner
I did some calculations based on sol 766 pancams.
There are plenty of places which could be the rover's current position BUT the nearest, and less likely, of those potential outcrops is at about 50m! Other ones, and more likely, are at some 90-100m range!!!

blink.gif
Nirgal
Question: in case Mars Oddysee would stop functioning permanently or for a longer period of time ( sure hope not ) then would it be possible to operate the Rovers (i.e. continue Oppys drive to Victoria and Spirit's struggle to McCool ) just by the HGAs alone ?

Also, which alternative communications relays could be used instead (MEX, MGS, MRO ?)
If so, could this be implemented as a short term solution ?
djellison
Well - the short term solution is what they did back a year or so ago - schedule an HGA pass for the afternoon to get the basic data back you need to keep using the rovers. You can't get much down though - it's very limited. 12 minutes of 256k UHF pass takes a long time at 8kbps DTE. Also DTE on the HGA takes a lot more whrs/mbit and with Spirit being so low on power, that's not something you want to have to use much, if at all.

Medium term, Odyssey will be back up by the end of the weekend, long term, if Odyssey didn't work, perhaps MGS could be called back into doing some of the relay, and Mars Express might be able to help also - but I don't think they'd want to interupt MRO's primary science mission for relay duty.

One could - if you had long enough DTE passes - operate the rovers on DTE alone - a lot LOT less imagery obviously - just the essential imagery needed for driving - but it could work - progress would be a little slower, but it's entirely feasable.

Doug
SteveM
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 24 2006, 05:49 AM) *
Well - the short term solution is what they did back a year or so ago - schedule an HGA pass for the afternoon to get the basic data back you need to keep using the rovers. You can't get much down though - it's very limited. 12 minutes of 256k UHF pass takes a long time at 8kbps DTE. Also DTE on the HGA takes a lot more whrs/mbit and with Spirit being so low on power, that's not something you want to have to use much, if at all....

One could - if you had long enough DTE passes - operate the rovers on DTE alone - a lot LOT less imagery obviously - just the essential imagery needed for driving - but it could work - progress would be a little slower, but it's entirely feasable.

Doug
On another thread, there's been discussion of the role that DTE tracking has on establishing the position of the rovers for refining the rotation parameters of Mars. Given Doug's comments on power and data rate, does anyone know how frequently DTE tracking is being done for range/doppler measurements?
djellison
They have a daily low gain 'beep' to acknowledge the transition to the new sequence, I imagine tracking could be extracted from that.

Doug
SteveM
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 24 2006, 08:14 AM) *
They have a daily low gain 'beep' to acknowledge the transition to the new sequence, I imagine tracking could be extracted from that.

Doug
Good idea, but a one-way transmission relies too much on the stability of the oscillator on the rover. For precise range-rate measurements they'd really need two-way doppler -- and of course a two-way path is essential for ranging.
djellison
Well - the usual morning uplink ( before the beep ) I THINK it possibly two-way on the HGA.

But of course, that's been interrupted by dsn channel clash with MRO

I'll try and see if I can find out if they still do two way tracking.

I remember them joking about doing the first 'honk' - which was a 10 minute beep during a drive. They jokingly mentioned that they didn't spot a doppler shift as the rover started driving smile.gif

Doug
Tesheiner
Nav/pancam images taken on sol 767 (last driving day) are finally available at the exploratorium!
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2006-03-25/

I did a polar projection with the navcam pics and mapping those outcrops to the route map was quite easy. Sol 767 driving was something on the 50m range.

Click to view attachment
Note: this is my first polar pano. rolleyes.gif
Nirgal
anyone know if Oppy made progress since Sol 767 ?
Many new images at JPL (Sol 771) and exploratorium (March 27) but I'm havinbg a hard time
interpreting them w.r.t to actual movement ...
Are the Oddysee-blackout-problems solved by now ?
What do the experts following the tracking sites know ?
mhoward
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Mar 27 2006, 04:03 PM) *
anyone know if Oppy made progress since Sol 767 ?
Many new images at JPL (Sol 771) and exploratorium (March 27) but I'm havinbg a hard time
interpreting them w.r.t to actual movement ...
Are the Oddysee-blackout-problems solved by now ?
What do the experts following the tracking sites know ?

We haven't made any progress since Sol 767 that we have seen pictures for yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw images from a new location in the next few hours, but Tesheiner can tell us what the Tracking site says...

We assume Odyssey is fixed, since we are getting a lot of old stuf downloaded.
Tesheiner
Images taken tosol (772) were already downlinked and are available at the exploratorium.
Per the tracking web, nothing drive-related.

Plans for tomorrow? My guess is "pedal to the metal" again; but it's too early to find anything on the tr. web.
Toma B
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 27 2006, 07:12 PM) *
We haven't made any progress since Sol 767 that we have seen pictures for yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw images from a new location in the next few hours, but Tesheiner can tell us what the Tracking site says...

Sadly, there is no driving on "Pancam tracking site" for sol 772 ...and there are no plans posted for sol 773 yet!...
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Bubbinski
Hopefully they're not stuck again or having another problem. Would this no-driving over the last few sols be related to the Odyssey safe mode?
Tesheiner
> Would this no-driving over the last few sols be related to the Odyssey safe mode?

Yes.
And the rover should be moving again today (sol 773); at least that's the "plan" on the tracking web.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

CODE
773 p0705.03 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_180_3_bpp
773 p1152.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
773 p1154.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc
773 p1205.06 2   0   0   2   0   4    front_haz_penultimate_0.5_bpp_pri17
773 p1211.03 2   0   0   2   0   4    ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
773 p1305.05 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_penultimate_0.5bpp_pri17
773 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
773 p2374.07 8   0   0   8   2   18   pancam_drv_dir_4x1_L2R2

BTW, for sol 774 the plan is for a 360º pancam albedo panorama.
CODE
774 p2285.04 27  0   27  0   1   55   pancam_albedo_27x1_L1
djellison
Sol 762 (March 16, 2006): Opportunity started the sol in front of a long, flat trough and was able to drive just over 53 meters (174 feet) along this path.

Sol 763: The rover conducted atmospheric science and cloud observations.

Sol 764: Opportunity conducted targeted remote sensing, including panoramic camera images of "Red River Station" and "Kingfisher." It examined "Rush Springs" and "Red River Station" with the miniature thermal emission spectrometer. It also filmed three cloud movies at various times of day and did some other atmospheric science.

Sol 765: The rover drove 48.5 meters (159 feet), first over a small ripple, then down a trough to a patch of outcrop.

Sol 766: The rover drove 34.6 meters (114 feet), first down a trough, then crossing a few small ripples.

Sol 767: Opportunity drove approximately 44 meters (144 feet) over a few small ripples. Since there was no outcrop along the day's drive path, the team used more frequent slip checks. Before the drive, Opportunity acquired panoramic camera images of some nearby outcrop.

Sol 768: The Odyssey orbiter went into safe mode before Opportunity's afternoon UHF relay pass, so the team didn't have any information on how the rover performed on sol 767. For sol 768 the team planned a 70-minute direct-to-Earth communication session. Mars is getting farther from Earth, and even with a Deep Space Network dish antenna 34 meters (112 feet) in diameter, the slow downlink rate yielded only 6 megabits of data. However, this was enough to indicate that the planned activities on sol 767, including the drive, had been completed successfully.

Sol 769: Odyssey was still recovering from safe mode. Since the UHF downlink capability was unavailable, the planned activities for Opportunity for the day were only to collect two tau readings. (Tau is a measure of atmospheric opacity. Determining it requires very little data volume.) The rover did not use the deep-sleep mode.

Sol 770 (March 24, 2006): The sol's activities were planned knowing that the day could be the earliest that the rovers might regain communication-relay support from Odyssey. The team is planned several tau observations and a scan of sky and ground by the miniature thermal emission spectrometer. Opportunity did use the deep sleep mode.

Total odometry as of sol 768 (March 22, 2006): 6,908 meters (4.29 miles)

170+ m in that lot - not bad at all

Doug
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 28 2006, 10:35 AM) *
170+ m in that lot - not bad at all

Doug

..and Oppy regain lead over Spirit...unless you apply a % that take in account the N° of weels turning wink.gif
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view on Sol 767.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
djellison
Did someone do a chart that plotted distance covered vs sol?

Doug
paxdan
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Mar 28 2006, 12:32 PM) *
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view on Sol 767.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel

here is a polar, taps fingers, waits for the others
Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 28 2006, 12:35 PM) *

Doug

Doug, I know it's not exactly what you're asking for but I'm keeping this update :
Date starts on April 16th 2005 and distance is in meters.
xxxx Spirit Oppy Total
16-avr 4700 5225 9925
21-juil 4685 5555 10240
20-oct 5107 6000 11107
04-nov 5144 6418 11562
10-nov 5273 6424 11697
30-nov 5463 6502 11965
22-déc 5673 6502 12175
29-déc 5829 6502 12331
05-janv 6031 6502 12533
27-janv 6279 6505 12784
02-févr 6430 6505 12935
11-févr 6559 6510 13069
16-févr 6575 6519 13094
23-févr 6590 6554 13144
03-mars 6691 6617 13308
09-mars 6756 6646 13402
17-mars 6797 6735 13532
22-mars ---- 6908

Edit : Doesn't show as good as I'd like on the page, but I'll put it better if of some interest.
paxdan
I've attached a close-up of the centre of the polar made from the jvandriel Sol 767 pan. Just to comment how clear the layers in the dunes are. Can someone please confirm my suspicion that the layers are on the side of the dune being eroded.

In addition, what if anything can the layers tell us about the formation of the dunes. Do they represent discrete depositional events such as a dust storm, or are they recording something like the changing of the seasons?
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's another version of a polar pan from jvandriel's sol 767 pan.

Phil

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 28 2006, 12:35 PM) *

Doug

Doug and All, What about this ?
Opportunity Update quote :
Opportunity has finished science observations at the "Payson" outcrop. Since the rover was operating in restricted mode, the team could plan a drive only every other day. Even so, Opportunity started the journey away from the rim of "Erebus." Back on the regular schedule, the team next plans to drive the rover farther south.
Then on Sol 760, quote was : On the road again! This sol, Opportunity completed a 33.5-meter drive south over a patch of outcrop
Let's start counting (driving sol only) from there and assume we're going strait to Victoria at this time.Total distance on Sol 759 was 6694.4 meters

Sol Meters
760 33.5
762 53
765 48.5
766 34.6
767 44

213.6 Total from Erebus
6908 Grand Total
Bill Harris
I've noticed that layering or startification in the eroded ripple faces for some time now and I recall that it was first noticable somewhere around the "North Erebus Dunefield" Detour.

We need to look closer at this stratification. Is it a difference in particle size distribution or composition caused by differences in aeolian deposition? Changes in the surface characteristics caused by a change in the cementation dues to an increase in atmospheric humidity? Why is the stratification most visible on the downwind face of the ripples (as far as I remember)? Wjat should be and what is the cross-sectional structure of these ripples?

--Bill
Tesheiner
Sol 773 post-drive images are available at the exploratorium.
http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2006-03-28/

Just a single navcam image -- the center one I presume -- for the time being; I would expect the remaining ones and the pancams to be available soon.
mhoward
Some recent views of the drifts:

Marslauncher
looks like we need an updated route map!

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif Keep on rolling baby!!

Way to go leaving the landing ellipse, absolutely awesome.

John
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Marslauncher @ Mar 28 2006, 05:42 PM) *
looks like we need an updated route map!

Definitely!
But I have a problem... I simply can't locate the current position on previous nav/pancams; it looks today's drive was a loooong one.

I have the feeling Oppy is somewhere here (red ellipse):
Click to view attachment
Reckless
Hi all
Like Bill I thought the banding on the downwind side of the ripples might be due to grain size or shape, different sizes or shapes tumbling down the steep side to differing degrees but I can't see any difference in the close up images.
So now I'm not sure and this image has the banding almost on the flat so perhaps it's an almost completely eroded ripple and the bands are nearly all the way through.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...MAP0705L0M1.JPG

Roy F sad.gif
Phil Stooke
Tesheiner, I think you are probably right about the location.

Phil
centsworth_II
Things are looking good for those that chose between sols 850 and 900 in the arrival pole. smile.gif
mhoward
The view South on Sol 773:

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Mar 28 2006, 05:39 PM) *
Things are looking good for those that chose between sols 850 and 900 in the arrival pole. smile.gif

Add 2 days for another Odyssey glitch
Burmese
Running in the shallows now but the waters due South and also East look pretty choppy. Best route would -appear- to be to the SE atm, straight at Victoria...smile.gif
Nirgal
Being the incurable dreamer I am, I once made the overly optimistic prediction that we would get the first images from Victoria by Christmas ...

remember, that was when we reached the "Olympia" area as early as Thanksgiving 2005 !

... then came Purgatory II sad.gif

Now the new (optimistic) prediction: Seems that we could get the first distant view of Victoria by the Easter week end or shortly thereafter (Mid to End April)

smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 28 2006, 06:28 PM) *
Tesheiner, I think you are probably right about the location.

Could be. I will better wait to have the whole 360º navcams to be sure.
Tomorrow, if the plan hasn't changed, they will take an "albedo" pan i.e. a whole 360º pancam mosaic using L1 filter. That one could be useful.
Tesheiner
I took another approach.
This is the "drive-direction" pancam mosaic in polar view; it can be easily matched with the MOC image in the route map.

Click to view attachment (44k)

The result, in terms of net driving distance from the previous position, is 75m!

Edited: This is the result as seen on the route map. I'll update it on the correct thread after today's drive; yes, today is planned as driving sol! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment (39k)
Tesheiner
Pedal to the metal!
Oppy seems to have moved about 50m on sol 774.

Navcam pics: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2006-03-29/
antoniseb
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 29 2006, 11:11 AM) *
Pedal to the metal!
Oppy seems to have moved about 50m on sol 774.

Navcam pics: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2006-03-29/

Looks like after another two or three 50 meter drives there is a several hundred meter path going ESE which cuts easily across lots of dunes, and could position the rover well for zipping down one gully to the ejecta blanket.
Nirgal
Looks like after another two or three 50 meter drives there is a several hundred meter path going ESE which cuts easily across lots of dunes, and could position the rover well for zipping down one gully to the ejecta blanket.

yes! but I'll breath a lot easier when we will have this "dune-crossing phase" behind us.
The latest hazcams today scared me quite a bit at first when it almost looked like another dune-straddling situation:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...UCP1305L0M1.JPG
... reminding of the Purgatory situation blink.gif
Fortunately, the drifts seem to be not as high around here ... and with firm, paved ground in between smile.gif

So it's going to be a pleasure of a ride, as soon as our Victoria-Heading Direction will be aligned along with the prominent dunes/drift SSE direction smile.gif

Then, apart from a hardware failure, nothing's going to stop us and Victoria will be just about a couple of weeks of 100+-meter-per-Sol drives away smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.