Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Burmese
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Mar 29 2006, 12:37 PM) *
Then, apart from a hardware failure, nothing's going to stop us and Victoria will be just about a couple of weeks of 100+-meter-per-Sol drives away smile.gif

I'm guessing that they will never do over about 60-70m in a day from now on, Purgatory spooked them out of those really long drives.
Bill Harris
I think that they will tend to drive conservatively, but will make good time on this drive. It seems to me that the sand in these ripples is fairly firm and may get better as Oppy travels south. I'm thinking that she will get into a few Sols of deeper and looser sand once she clears "Heck of a View Hill" but it will improve as Victoria is approached. I have no idea what the ejecta blanket will be like to drive upon, I hope it won't be basalt boulders.

--Bill
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 29 2006, 09:27 PM) *
I'm guessing that they will never do over about 60-70m in a day from now on, Purgatory spooked them out of those really long drives.

60-70m is more than enough for me!
I did my estimation for arrival at Victoria based on an average 20m/driving sol.

IIRC, Purgatory like situations are not directly related to the distance but to the driving mode. If I'm not wrong they are using Visodom since then, even on those 70m drives, right?
mhoward
Lookin' South, Sol 774:

Tesheiner
Looks like the rover won't stop driving 'till the weekend... Today (sol 775) is planned as driving sol.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
My wild guess for the next move: some 40-70m heading due south.

Click to view attachment (294k)
(Sol 774 pancam L2)
Burmese
Well, she's done moved again...your guess may be right or she may be a slot over to the east, can't tell...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...DLP0705L0M1.JPG
Nirgal
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...D8P1205R0M1.JPG

YES ! keep on rolling, old Lady smile.gif
Burmese
They should be playing some country songs about truck drivers for Oppy's wake up calls lately...

"Amarillo by morning..."
antoniseb
QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 30 2006, 01:33 PM) *
Well, she's done moved again...your guess may be right or she may be a slot over to the east, can't tell...

It looks to me like Opportunity is in the same slot. On the latest route map, there is a white area near the South end of the blow up. You can see on the horizon to the SSE some hill-tops which I take to be the dark mounds one or two hundred meters below the blow up box.

Sorry, I'm not good enough with images yet to show you what I mean.
mhoward
I never thought I'd say this, but WOW this terrain is monotonous. I feel like we're driving across Iowa. I sure hope things liven up once we get to the Corn Palace...

Sol 775, South:

mhoward
Here are some views just for fun. Apparantly the boredom of the trip is affecting me:

Sol 775:

Sol 766:

Sol 765:

Sol 762:

And so on... I might try putting a movie or slideshow together of these sometime. All views are facing South, by the way.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 30 2006, 08:33 PM) *

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...DLP0705L0M1.JPG

Exactly! A bit to the left (east).
A quick calculation results in a 40-50m move.

Click to view attachment (218k)
BrianL
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 30 2006, 01:37 PM) *
I never thought I'd say this, but WOW this terrain is monotonous.

I'll take free-wheeling across the plains over shuffling my feet in the hills anyday.

Brian
Shaka
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 30 2006, 10:15 AM) *
Here are some views just for fun. Apparantly the boredom of the trip is affecting me:

75,000 bottles of beer on the wall, 75,000 bottles of beer.
Y'take one down and pass it around, leaves 74,999 bottles of beer.

74,999 bottles of beer on the wall, 74,999 bottles of beer.
Y'take one down and pass it around, leaves 74,998 bottles of beer.

alan
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 30 2006, 01:37 PM) *
I never thought I'd say this, but WOW this terrain is monotonous. I feel like we're driving across Iowa. I sure hope things liven up once we get to the Corn Palace...

Hey, Iowa is not this flat. Looks more like Nebraska to me. tongue.gif
Tman
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 30 2006, 07:37 PM) *

Not more monotonous than on the way to Erebus. On March 22, 2005 "in the middle of nowhere" that was monotonous smile.gif http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/nowhere2.jpg
David
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 30 2006, 07:37 PM) *

Isn't this the famous "Etched Terrain" that looked so interesting -- not to mention difficult and dangerous -- from way up high?

I notice we're not using the term "Etched Terrain" any more. Perhaps it no longer seems appropriate for gently rolling dunes with the occasional exposed flat bedrock?
Bill Harris
Not so much monotonous as it is predictable. This makes for quick travel, although it might breed complacency. The flat, flat, flat horizon suggests to me that we are looking past this plain to the far horizon past Victoria. The bumps on the near horizon are the ripples we've seen at "Heck of a View Hill" so once we get past them we'll see Victoria better.

--Bill
Bubbinski
QUOTE (Shaka @ Mar 30 2006, 01:30 PM) *
75,000 bottles of beer on the wall, 75,000 bottles of beer.
Y'take one down and pass it around, leaves 74,999 bottles of beer.

74,999 bottles of beer on the wall, 74,999 bottles of beer.
Y'take one down and pass it around, leaves 74,998 bottles of beer.

That's a lot better than kids screaming in the back saying "Are we there yet?" in grating whiny tones. Something I last experienced (and was guilty of) as a kid myself.

74,997 bottles of beer on the wall, 74,997 bottles of beer.........lol.......I think or at least hope that Victoria Crater will be well worth the wait.
Jeff7
I saw it better on the Anandtech forums:

n bottles of beer on the wall
n bottles of beer
Take one down, pass it around
n-1 bottles of beer on the wall
lyford
QUOTE (alan @ Mar 30 2006, 12:35 PM) *

We must not forget the brave mountaineers that gave their all in the attempt:
Return To Thick Air... biggrin.gif
tty
QUOTE (alan @ Mar 30 2006, 10:35 PM) *

Not the sandhills part at least, it's a lot more rugged than this. I suggest coastal Texas. "All you can see is miles and miles" as the texan said.

tty
Shaka
QUOTE (tty @ Mar 30 2006, 07:59 PM) *
Not the sandhills part at least, it's a lot more rugged than this. I suggest coastal Texas. "All you can see is miles and miles" as the texan said.

tty

Gentlemen, Let us all observe a moment of silence in loving sympathy for our brethren who must dwell where the local horizon is demarcated by the tops of roofs, telephone poles and McDonald's arches.
There, but for the Grace of the Almighty...
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Mar 31 2006, 02:56 AM) *
I saw it better on the Anandtech forums:

n bottles of beer on the wall
n bottles of beer
Take one down, pass it around
n-1 bottles of beer on the wall

Isn't there a gosub or something missing?

Bob Shaw
helvick
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Mar 31 2006, 11:10 AM) *
Isn't there a gosub or something missing?

Recursion is neater surely:

BottlesOfBeerOnTheWall(79999);

sub BottlesOfBeerOnTheWall {
$n=shift();
print "$n Bottles of beer on the wall.\n$n Bottles of beer.\nTake one down, pass it around\n";
BottlesOfBeerOnTheWall($n-1) if ($n > 0);
}
chris
QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 31 2006, 01:53 PM) *
Recursion is neater surely:

BottlesOfBeerOnTheWall(79999);

sub BottlesOfBeerOnTheWall {
$n=shift();
print "$n Bottles of beer on the wall.\n$n Bottles of beer.\nTake one down, pass it around\n";
BottlesOfBeerOnTheWall($n-1) if ($n > 0);
}

Stack Overflow at....
djellison
Can someone put this into PHP wink.gif

I believe the stack overflow is due to attempting to put 80,000 bottles onto a single wall. Either youv'e got to have the Great Wall of China involved, or we're going to have a stack overflow tongue.gif

Doug
stevo
QUOTE (tty @ Mar 30 2006, 11:59 PM) *

tty

Personally I’d vote for Kansas as flattest state in the union http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/jul/27/h...hotcakes_study/

Except, no, wait, what’s this ? Florida ??

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/33052

I guess I can see that, although I still think North Dakota deserves consolation points for being both mind-numbingly flat and bitterly cold.

Steve
mhoward
QUOTE (stevo @ Mar 31 2006, 02:23 PM) *
I guess I can see that, although I still think North Dakota deserves consolation points for being both mind-numbingly flat and bitterly cold.

Heh heh... North Dakota works for me. Having just lived through another Minnesota winter, I no longer seriously think I'd want to live on Mars, I'm afraid. Too darn cold. Then again, I suppose the wonder of exploring a different planet might make up for it... possibly. Brrrr.

Here is a Slideshow of the trip South from Erebus, so far. I'll try to keep this updated as time allows... ?
antoniseb
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 31 2006, 09:49 AM) *
Here is a Slideshow of the trip South from Erebus, so far. I'll try to keep this updated as time allows... ?

Thanks, that was pretty informative. I look forward to seeing the future versions of this.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (chris @ Mar 31 2006, 03:27 PM) *
Stack Overflow at....

Overflow at five beers. biggrin.gif
Tesheiner
Sol 776 drive images are available: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2006-03-31/

That was a "short" drive; just 11m eastwards, enough to cross to the next ripple.

Click to view attachment (209k)
Original image: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...DLP0705L0M1.JPG
Vladimorka
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 31 2006, 04:47 PM) *
Can someone put this into PHP wink.gif
I believe the stack overflow is due to attempting to put 80,000 bottles onto a single wall. Either youv'e got to have the Great Wall of China involved, or we're going to have a stack overflow tongue.gif

Doug

99 bottles in PHP
and 99 bottles of beer in more than 900 programming languages :-)
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Vladimorka @ Mar 31 2006, 05:56 PM) *
99 bottles in PHP
and 99 bottles of beer in more than 900 programming languages :-)

I am, as ever, delighted by the communal UMSF ability to stretch a joke well beyond breaking point, especially without mentioning (eeek!) the GOTO word.

But who cleans up all them 9999 bottles?

Bob Shaw
Jeff7
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

99 bottles of Lipovitan on the wall.....

biggrin.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Mar 31 2006, 07:50 PM) *
99 bottles of Lipovitan on the wall.....

...and as they take one down and pass it around,
their probe crashes onto an asteroid!

unsure.gif

-the other Doug
jvandriel
The complete 360 degree panoramic view on the way to Victoria.

Taken on Sol 776 with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Bedrock on the way to Victoria.

Mosaic taken with the L2 pancam on Sol 777.

jvandriel
Phil Stooke
Here is jvandriel's sol 776 pan in two circular versions. I did some cosmetic work on the horizon in the first one only.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bobby
Mars Rover Update from The Planetary Society

March 31, 2006

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0331_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
Burmese
I am a little confused by the comments from Arvidson about not 'deploying' the arm as they are, in fact, deploying it every day.
djellison
They are unstowing it, but not deploying it. smile.gif

The article is wrong though...
"Opportunity -- which has kept its IDD stowed since leaving Erebus" - not true, they've just not deployed it to do science.

Doug
climber
Doug,

APPARENTLY YOU CANNOT UNSTOWE YOUR IDD either !!!! The count of your posts is blocked at 3988 for a while ...welcome to Mars biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif
Edit : Oups, after several 3988, I noticed a 3989. IDD DID you DID IDD ID? biggrin.gif
atomoid
more interesting stuff along the way...
Now whats the story with the strange stained-on stripe running over the dune, right next to a bunch of cracks. at the top of the dune you can see how the slope changes right at the intersection of the stripe! It almost looks like a bad pano stitch exposure artifact, whats funny is that it has smoothed out some features that continue outside of the stripe!
the discoloration might be related to... (baffled!)
Jeff7
And right there intersecting the dark stripe is a very small mini-crater.
CosmicRocker
The stripe bewildered me too, atomoid. A whimsical thought I had was that it resembled the filled-in track of a previous rover. laugh.gif Seriously though, it seems to be somehow related to the bedrock fractures and the other ("sapping features," mini-craters, etc.) that we have been speculating about for some time. There appear to be some slope changes associated with the edges of this stripe. Maybe if we collect enough of these oddities, all of the pieces will eventually come together into some kind of coherent picture. "Curiouser and curiouser," cried Alice.
atomoid
Just had a thought that this actually looks like it could have been caused by a areologically recent uplift/subsidence faulting event (due to sapping, seismic changes, or what have you) that has since been mostly weathered over. Here's why:

- To the left of the stripe the ground has subsided relative to where at the right of the stripe the ground has elevated (this explains the sand dune angle at the leftmost edge of the stripe and does not appear inconsistent with the rest of the stripe feature, even the next dune beyond has a slight uplift at the stripe boundary).

- The small crack in the foreground is consistent with the edge of the fault.

- If this were signs of a fault, it seems to go right under the rover so it should also be visible on the other side. I think there is some sign of it also here "over the Rover's right shoulder"™. There is even a bit of a stripe going off perhaps its a small uplift. You can also see some more disturbed plates in the same line here as well.

- Empty plate boundary cracks: This might account for a "disturbance" that must have been responsible for all the drained cracks to the left and the right of the fault. They do seem out of place in that the cracks are emptied, perhaps vibration/settling best explains this. Its odd how there is a lot of 'tossed' pebbles right around the cracks, could the activity be so violent as to spall rock fragments out of the cracks (not just swallow existing materials) otherwise its kind of odd, i cant quite picture escaping CO2 hissing out of these cracks and throwing stones around. not quite yet at least (sudden gas escape causing catastophic subsidence)...

here are the anaglyphs over left shoulder and over right shoulder

...something must be disturbing these plates. Worm sign? tongue.gif
monty python
Yes. I was thinking along these lines, while driving (roving) home today. I'm really obsessed by these dunes!

I can't picture how a dune flows over a crack in bedrock without filling it in. So maybe these are old dunes which "cracked" when the bedrock shifted or settled (sink hole effect?). Could rocks be tossed up in one third G. ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.