Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving south to Victoria
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Marz
I don't think those are larger cobbles because they seem lighter in color. It looks more like chunks of evaporite have been tossed around by an explosion. Wouldn't a small crater be a tidier event? Could this be an oblique impact?
mhoward

Tesheiner
Sol 828 is driving day. Let's see if they repeat a 70-80m move like on sol 823, just to recover a bit from being stopped the last five sols.
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

CODE
828 p0705.03 10  0   0   10  0   20   navcam_5x1_az_180_3_bpp
828 p1305.06 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_penultimate_0.5bpp_pri30
828 p1311.07 2   0   0   2   0   4    rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
jvandriel
Here is the complete panorama of the small crater.

Taken with the L2 pancam on Sol 818.

jvandriel
climber
[quote name='jvandriel' date='May 23 2006, 08:03 PM' post='55449']
Here is the complete panorama of the small crater.
Taken with the L2 pancam on Sol 818.
jvandriel

Even if seeing a crater is a nice change, I'm always amazed to note how clearly we can see the beacon. Even if we have cameras with a view of 10/10, I wonder how the beacon will be seen by human eyes. There is less light on Mars than on Earth and, even if the camera are adapted to marsian conditions, I have the feeling "we" will have a good perception. Not to say we'll see where the beacon is but we could compare its light to the one of the stars (ok, not at the same time), see how ponctual it is.
RNeuhaus
I want to know what do you think that is the most probably height of beacon?

I bet it would be around 1.50 meters tall from the horizontal view line.

Rodolfo
climber
[quote name='RNeuhaus' date='May 23 2006, 09:39 PM' post='55463']
I want to know what do you think that is the most probably height of beacon?
I bet it would be around 1.50 meters tall from the horizontal view line.
Rodolfo

I have no real figure but it has to be higher than that. Using number of pixel in the image, some of us have already determined that it's at least 1 meter high and we all believe it's above the surrounding. On top of this Oppy is on a slope that goes down to VC and we can still see the crater above the horizont even on the unstretched images. I mean from a range of about 1 km, even at human eyes height 1.5m is not enough. If it's on the far rim it'll be even higher. Based on this, I'll put it in the 3-5 meters range.
Shaka
3-5 meters

Heh Heh..
Stop! In the name of love
Before you break my heart
Think it over
Think it over

cool.gif
RNeuhaus
I put 1.50 meters because I have already tested the visual distance test of an 5 meters object (a house) from a distance of about one kilometer. I realized that the house in which I looked is taller than the beacon at about the same distance. smile.gif

Rodolfo
Shaka
And we have found a beautiful piece of evaporite proximal ejecta! Get over dere!
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...A3P1311L0M1.JPG
If we find a shatter cone, it's mine! hee hee.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...A3P1214L0M1.JPG
C'mon, baby. do the locomotion!
BrianL
QUOTE (Shaka @ May 23 2006, 08:16 PM) *

Looks like close to 50 meters due south on this latest drive. Of course, I will wait for the official red dot placement.

Brian
jamescanvin
39m according to the tracking data.
Shaka
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...A3P0705L0M1.JPG
Hmmm...I wonder if that junk yard over there is the splashdown of a big chunk of ejecta. And the cute little shards everywhere just splashed off it. unsure.gif
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Shaka @ May 24 2006, 06:09 AM) *
Hmmm...I wonder if that junk yard over there is the splashdown of a big chunk of ejecta. And the cute little shards everywhere just splashed off it. unsure.gif

Shaka:

In the sense that *everything* is ejecta, yes - but I wouldn't count on it as coming from Victoria. Apart from everything else, it looks quite fresh (at least in Meridiani terms!). It's been suggested that most small Martian craters are actually secondaries.

Bob Shaw
prometheus
Whatever it was it looks like it came straight in / down, blasted ejectra straight up and without flattening the dune it punched through. Note what looks like fairly vertical walls. Maybe it was like the comet probe that penetrated the surface quite a way then blasted debris almost straight up. Dare I say geyser?

I also note the crater doesn't seem to be on the orbital shot used to plot Oppy's movement. It may be VERY new.

Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
QUOTE (prometheus @ May 24 2006, 10:54 AM) *
I also note the crater doesn't seem to be on the orbital shot used to plot Oppy's movement.

Yes it is.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 24 2006, 06:52 AM) *

Strange...
I've got 43m via parallax measurements and 45m when plotting the new position on the route map with the help of a polar projection of the navcam mosaic.
prometheus
Thanks for the updated position.
jvandriel
The view in the drive direction. ( Corner crater )

Taken on Sol 828 with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel
climber
[quote name='jvandriel' date='May 24 2006, 01:23 PM' post='55537']
The view in the drive direction. ( Corner crater )
Taken on Sol 828 with the L2 pancam.
jvandriel

jvandriel (and all),

"The view in the drive direction. ( Corner crater )" you just posted show something new to my eyes : features further than Corner crater. There is a "black line" that start on the far rim wink.gif of corner crater going South west and that, in my opinion, can be related to the end of the smooth "ejectat plain" that come from VC and nearly touch Corner crater. (Still difficulties with Photoshop, can'r draw a line now!). I hope you see what I mean. Opinion ?
Click to view attachment
Aberdeenastro
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 24 2006, 05:52 AM) *

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I've been following The Journey for months and want to thank you all for the work you do here.

James - Can you explain to me how exactly you've derived the figure of 39 m for Opportunity's latest move. I've seen the MER Pancam Data Tracking Site, but can't see anything about drive distances. Are you working it out from the site drive numbers? If so, how?

Many thanks,

Castor
djellison
What one does is work out a range to a feature in both pre-drive ( i.e. yestersol) and post drive ( tosol ) imagery, and the difference is the distance covered.

Doug
Aberdeenastro
Thanks for the reply. I got the impression from James' statement "according to the tracking data" that there was something more in the data that enables you to calculate a distance travelled.

Castor
climber
[quote name='Shaka' date='May 24 2006, 02:52 AM' post='55493']
3-5 meters
Heh Heh..
Think it over
Think it over

cool.gif

Shaka,
I know you're a nearimer but, let's consider two thing :
1- IF beacon is on the far rim (and it is wink.gif ) it could be higher than you think it is.
2- WHO's said that beacon is the top of something? If it's an outcrop or a stone or whatever, I'll NOT place it at the top since the top will be oriented up. Why can't the light come from 1-2 meters below the top? So, beacon (as a whole stuff) could STILL be 3-5 meters above the horizon. How do you call a reversed Abyss? Oh, yes a peak! Kind of Climber's stuff smile.gif
centsworth_II
Climber said:
" 'The view in the drive direction. ( Corner crater )' you just posted show something new to my eyes : features further than Corner crater."

I noticed that too. If there is a change in view due to vertical parallax, what about the beacon? Any noticable change there as well?
climber
[quote name='centsworth_II' date='May 24 2006, 06:40 PM' post='55578']
I noticed that too. If there is a change in view due to vertical parallax, what about the beacon? Any noticable change there as well?

Oh yes there are changes! Near rimer's are (nearly) giving up : See Dilo's post : http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...=55579&st=450&#
Plus : Ustrax is lost (see post that follows Dilo's).
Good news anyway is that there's something new near Corner crater already visible. We definitly need to go there. On top of this, somebody said that dunes are parrallel to this direction. Must be an easy one for Tesheiner. wink.gif By the way I'm going to Spain (Sierra de Guarra) for the next 4 days. Kind of restricted sols for me.
jvandriel
Climber,

here is that part, you are talking about.

It is cut out of the original panorama from Sol 828.

When you zoom in, it look's like dark ejectamaterial from small craters. ( but I am not an expert smile.gif )

jvandriel
climber
[quote name='jvandriel' date='May 24 2006, 09:42 PM' post='55609']
Climber,
here is that part, you are talking about.
It is cut out of the original panorama from Sol 828.
When you zoom in, it look's like dark ejectamaterial from small craters. ( but I am not an expert smile.gif )
jvandriel

Thanks jvandriel. I agree that some dark zones to the rigth of Corner crater can be related to what we see from above and could be ejectat from small craters. Anyway, I suspect that the one zone that seems to come from behind Corner crater could be related to the bright zone of the same view. To me, this brigth (from above) and dark (from actual Oppy position) seems to match (may be Tesheiner can confirm) and could correspond to the limit of VC's ejectat. I'll be interested in more opinion & analysis.
Shaka
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ May 23 2006, 10:04 PM) *
Shaka:

In the sense that *everything* is ejecta, yes - but I wouldn't count on it as coming from Victoria. Apart from everything else, it looks quite fresh (at least in Meridiani terms!). It's been suggested that most small Martian craters are actually secondaries.
Bob Shaw

God, how to do this: half a dozen little posts or one big one? I guess the latter uses less bandwidth. OK, Doug?

Bob, Laddie, you misunderstand me. I went on record weeks ago that I didn't think we would see any Victoria ejecta. I doubt any of it survived the Hesperian. Any ejecta we find will be from recent craters, and I consider Corner and probably Sofi to be among those.
I accept the recent view that secondaries predominate. That complicates the already-complicated mechanical models for crater formation and ejecta distribution. Hopefully we can cope. For now I'm hypothesizing that we are entering an area of proximal ejecta from a fresh crater. I'm looking for a pattern of ejecta distribution centering on Corner. Time will tell.

Castor, Laddie, welcome to UMSF. How nice we have another Scot who can help us keep Bob's puns under control! cool.gif

Climber, mon ami, I hope you got the reference in the song to Diana Ross (aka Spongebob's Mom). When I first saw her, I estimated her as "3-5 meters" wide. In the end I think she was smaller than the real Diana's afro! Just a cautionary note. Size is hard to pick on Mars.
I accept the estimates by Dilo et al. that Beacon's light - that we can see from Oppy - is a meter or less in size. Of course, if there's more structure hidden from view or dark colored, the structure could be any size. It could really be the Pharos, transported here by aliens, but my usual procedure is to trust to Occam's Razor: If a simple uptilted slab of evaporite will explain what we see, I go with that hypothesis until further observations show the sphinxes flanking the doorway. There's no harm in speculation. Time will tell all. rolleyes.gif
dilo
Another stitch&stack of CornerCrater, now from Sol828:
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 24 2006, 07:12 PM) *
Strange...
I've got 43m via parallax measurements and 45m when plotting the new position on the route map with the help of a polar projection of the navcam mosaic.

Yeah, I still don't fully understand what happens, sometimes the tracking data is bang on but every now and again it seems to be a little off. It's no substitue for your work. smile.gif

QUOTE (Castor @ May 24 2006, 11:37 PM) *
Thanks for the reply. I got the impression from James' statement "according to the tracking data" that there was something more in the data that enables you to calculate a distance travelled.

Welcome Castor. Yes there is more to it, there is a wealth of information in the tracking database. Pity it's not accurate all the time! I'll PM you the details...

James
dilo
Welcome Castor.
This is a a back view (N direction) from Sol829 Navcam:
Click to view attachment
this 180deg stitch was 5x vertically stretched and clearly show the "hell view" hill. As I suspeced, Oppy missed the highest point passing slightly west of it...
Aberdeenastro
QUOTE (Shaka @ May 24 2006, 09:05 PM) *
Castor, Laddie, welcome to UMSF. How nice we have another Scot who can help us keep Bob's puns under control! cool.gif

Shaka and others. Thanks for the welcome. Actually I'm not a Scot. I'm what's known here as a Sassenach (i.e. Englishman living in Scotland). I've still not worked out if Sassenach is a derogatory name..... I wouldn't dream of trying to keep the locals under control....

James - thanks for your personal reply. I think I'll let others interrogate the database. I'm just a geologist, not a SQL expert.

Castor
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Castor @ May 25 2006, 08:28 AM) *
Actually I'm not a Scot. I'm what's known here as a Sassenach (i.e. Englishman living in Scotland). I've still not worked out if Sassenach is a derogatory name..... I wouldn't dream of trying to keep the locals under control....

Castor

Castor:

A Sassenach? Fit like!

Actually, so am I (in principle - I've lived in Scotland most of my life, but still can't 'pass'). Enjoy Aberdeen - I worked there a few years ago for Baker Hughes (it was strange being a part, however small, of Howard Hughes' old CIA shell-game!).

Bob Shaw
jvandriel
Let's go back on track from Scotland to Mars. biggrin.gif

Here is the 360 degree panoramic view taken on Sol 828 and Sol 829

with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
The view in the drive direction on Sol 830.

Taken with the L2 pancam.

Look at the beacon on the left side of the pano.

jvandriel
antoniseb
QUOTE (jvandriel @ May 26 2006, 08:36 AM) *

Is that two beacons side by side?
Marz
QUOTE (jvandriel @ May 26 2006, 09:36 AM) *
The view in the drive direction on Sol 830.

Taken with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel

Nice pan. How about some more silly speculation?

In this image, the beacon looks like it may have 2 components. What are the odds that both the Near and Far rim ideas are correct?

pancam.gif
mhoward
Here's an anaglyph version of the Sol 830 Pancam mosaic:

full size

(That's it for me, I'm off to Arizona. I'll post a pic when I get back.)
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Marz @ May 26 2006, 03:57 PM) *
Nice pan. How about some more silly speculation?

In this image, the beacon looks like it may have 2 components. What are the odds that both the Near and Far rim ideas are correct?

pancam.gif

Marz:

Can I vote for that! Yeeha!

Bob Shaw
dilo
Look at this wide angle Sol830 West view (stitch of four NavCam images).
Click to view attachment
The left crest of the big dune is strange (whit regularly spaced peaks) while the tracks on the right are quite odd (perhaps due to the damaged steering wheel).
dilo
Another feature is worth to look is this one, already higlighlighted by Shaka:
Click to view attachment (sharpened stitch of 3 Sol830 PanCam images)
Perhaps another crater... cannot localize it in the NavCam images, some help needed!
antoniseb
QUOTE (dilo @ May 27 2006, 03:56 AM) *
Perhaps another crater

This looks to me like a large chunk of the layered sulfate salts got blasted out by the creation of Corner Crater, and after travelling 400 meters or so, hit the ground and broke apart, leaving this rubble pile. I don't think it is a crater as such.
djellison
You mean a 2ndary crater smile.gif

Doug
Tman
It's the same spot located here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ic=2417&st=566#

Thanks for stichting Dilo! Looks like an impact from yesterday wink.gif Interestingly most of the ejected debris show no secondary (distinctive) impacts or other tracks in the surrounding area --> maybe roughly an indicator for the time span...

QUOTE (antoniseb @ May 27 2006, 12:42 PM) *
This looks to me like a large chunk of the layered sulfate salts got blasted out by the creation of Corner Crater, and after travelling 400 meters or so, hit the ground and broke apart, leaving this rubble pile.

If so, we should find more of them around Corner Crater, roughly radiating from it - also in the orbit images. Do we?
antoniseb
QUOTE (djellison @ May 27 2006, 06:46 AM) *
You mean a 2ndary crater smile.gif

Except that I don't really see a circular hole in the ground, just strewn layered rock fragments and disrupted dunes. So, no, I don't think this is a secondary crater. Just rocks.
Phil Stooke
I'm confident that the increasing amount of rubble on the surface, and the large clumps of it we see in places like this one, are crater ejecta and (in a few spots maybe) poorly developed secondary craters, but the scale is completely wrong for them to be caused by Corner Crater. This must be Victoria ejecta.

Phil
Bill Harris
I'll agree with Phil, this must be Victoria ejecta. The closer we get to the crater, the more we will be seeing this.

If we were walking a canyon on Earth, we would be looking at the float (rocks not in-place) on the slopes to get a preview of the strata that lie ahead. Similarly, we should be looking at the ejecta from Victoria as we travel.

Note, also, that there seems to be an increase in the number of micro craters. FWIW.

--Bill
DEChengst
The ejecta is quite interesting. This mean we can take a look into the crater without actually going into it. Ofcourse it's still better to go into the crater itself as the ejecta is all out of context.
Shaka
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ May 27 2006, 04:11 AM) *
I'll agree with Phil, this must be Victoria ejecta. .

--Bill

Phil & Bill, Are you suggesting that Victoria was formed since the last major mobilization of these ripples?
Guys, where are the ejecta rays around VC that we see around Corner? Corner is a 35 meter hole in the ground. That's a pile of rock thrown around! VC is as old as the hills, maybe older. Sorry, I can't agree with you. This rock collection might not be from Corner, but it can't be from Victoria.
helvick
QUOTE (Shaka @ May 27 2006, 06:21 PM) *
Sorry, I can't agree with you. This rock collection might not be from Corner, but it can't be from Victoria.

I'm fully in agreement with this - Victoria must be old enough for almost all of the ejecta to have eroded to dust (and spherules), just like Endurance. The only way that rock pile could be from Victoria is if it was a substantially different material from the sedimentary layers we saw within Endurance and if it was that then where is the rest of it? I find the idea fairly improbable but perhaps this isn't as improbable as it seems to me. If it is from victoria then it would have to some much more resiliant underlying layer. If it's the same general material type as everything else then it has to have been fairly recent dropped as a secondary from elsewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.