Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: InSight Surface Operations
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > InSight
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Phil Stooke
According to this tweet from the recent MEPAG meeting:

https://twitter.com/genejm29/status/1489325707067023367

There will be a new cleaning attempt on Feb. 12th.

Phil
abalone
Just out of interest what kind of power production could be expected if instead of horizontal panels it had them facing east west at say a 70deg tilt to the horizontal. That is almost vertical. I assume that dust accumulation would then not be an issue.
rlorenz
QUOTE (abalone @ Feb 6 2022, 10:09 PM) *
Just out of interest what kind of power production could be expected if instead of horizontal panels it had them facing east west at say a 70deg tilt to the horizontal. That is almost vertical. I assume that dust accumulation would then not be an issue.

That's a pretty big geometric loss. I suspect the energy impact for the nominal mission duration would far outweigh the (uncertain) retention of capacity due to lower dust accumulation. It is known after all that at least some dust can be deposited even on vertical surfaces (including camera windows) on Mars.

I could well believe that some combination of modest tilt, and mounting arrays closer to the ground (so that sand can more easily get onto them to scrub the dust off) could help mitigate power loss, but that it's also a very site-dependent issue.

More practically, InSight was sold somewhat as a 'build to print' Phoenix rebuild, so even though the arrays were slightly larger, the deployment mechanism was the same. You'd need to expensively redesign those mechanisms to have inclined arrays. Arrays as steeply tilted as you suggest would also raise concerns about the effect of wind loads, not least on the seismic noise background.
Deimos
I question the accumulation assumption as well. Dust accumulation would be a different issue, but not a non-issue. Dust accumulates freely on vertical surfaces--see any pictures of posts on cal targets from MER. It sticks to camera windows, as Ralph said. Dust does not only 'fall' onto the surface--it is frequently far too windy for that. While there is a major advantage in dust being cleaned from vertical surfaces, that is different from avoiding accumulation. See this article.

In addition to the geometric loss (and seismic noise!) Ralph mentions, consider what happens in a dust storm, when you need every photon you can get: the arrays are aimed at the low Sun and have poor incidence angles when the Sun is high; but those low-Sun photons are the ones least able to get through the dust.
djellison
If dust didn't stick to vertical surfaces....we would never need to clean office windows.
Explorer1
Vertical/tilted panels work fine on the Moon (see concept art of the various lunar south pole rovers being planned/built, which have panels on the sides or sticking up like sails to benefit from the low sun angle at those latitudes). The trouble is once an atmosphere is introduced, dust can settle in almost any direction.
Such a design might be of benefit for a mission at the Martian poles, but as Phoenix taught, those regions have a much bigger long-term limit on lander lifetime than dust on the panels!
Deimos
So, I ran the numbers. For the tilted panel case with no atmosphere at all, and no surface reflection, 2x70deg tilt is 67% as good as 2x0deg tilt. Adding in idealized reflected light from the surface gets to a bit above 80% (as long as I can use red albedo, which may not be appropriate for the triple-junction cells). Adding in a small dust storm--with surface and sky light--gets back to 2/3, which is better than I would have guessed. Of course, that is 2/3 of a much smaller number and that eats into margins. If one were not worried about things like SEIS or using parts out of a warehouse, a mixed tilt approach might be worth it.

The math changes quite a bit at the poles; note that Mars Polar Lander had both level and tilted panels.
Phil Stooke
Another arm contact west of the SEIS, purpose still not understood (by me), on sol 1171.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 1183... the arm camera images an area in the workspace west of the SEIS. This is probably completing the stereoscopic coverage of the full panorama. I was told recently that there were two small gaps in the full stereo pan and this looks like being the second sequence filling the gaps. We had monoscopic coverage of the full scene but not stereo. I hope the project will release a full mission panorama (combined horizon and workspace) soon. If there's no change in power generation we only have about 3 months left in the mission.

Phil

Phil Stooke
Sol 1184 - a new trench is dug, pushing soil into a pile. That probably signals soil pickup and sprinkling on the lander deck in the near future to boost power again.

Phil
Quetzalcoatl
Greetings to you all smile.gif

Interpretation of 47 seismic events previously undetected in the data provided by SEIS :

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29329-x#Sec1

Phil Stooke
"Another arm contact west of the SEIS, purpose still not understood (by me), on sol 1171."

OK, now the analyst's notebook explains the soil contacts west of the SEIS. They are part of an 'elastic properties' experiment - soil mechanics basically, testing the soil properties by pressing down on the surface.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Just in case this might be useful to anyone, I have compiled the full set of Mission Manager reports from the InSight Analysts Notebook from sol 1 to sol 1100. It is a c. 5000 line text file.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Quetzalcoatl
Remarkable receipting !

Thank you very much mister Stooke.
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 5 2022, 10:02 PM) *
Just in case this might be useful to anyone, I have compiled the full set of Mission Manager reports from the InSight Analysts Notebook from sol 1 to sol 1100. It is a c. 5000 line text file.
Phil

What a stunning work Phil ! Thanks a lot smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Sol 1198 - InSight takes a set of sunrise and sunset images. There should be some animation opportunities.

Phil

PaulH51
How it Started, How it's Going.

IDC Sol 18 vs. Sol 1202
Click to view attachment
antipode
Wow!

https://mars.nasa.gov/raw_images/1050651/

P
PaulH51
IDC Sol 1211 (April 24, 2022)
Rotated and processed.
Could really do with a dust devil!

Click to view attachment
Quetzalcoatl
Good morning, smile.gif

The two largest Martian earthquakes recorded to date by SEIS on the other side of the planet.
Published on 23 APRIL 2022

https://phys.org/news/2022-04-largest-marsq...lanet-side.html

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/tsr/ar...tant-Marsquakes
stevesliva
Great to hear! What's interesting is that both these events-- sol 976 0226 and sol 1000 0048-- are on the chart presented in October here:
https://youtu.be/XfrHDTlxHHc?t=790
They're the two quality B events in the lower left.

My guesstimate from that chart was that the high noise season would begin around sol 1220. That's in about a week. So, hopefully a full 200 more sols since last update with many other events.
StargazeInWonder
Insight recently detected the largest mars-quake so far… a magnitude 5.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9185/nasas-insig...-quake-on-mars/
stevesliva
Around 2330 on sol 1222 -- good time of day and maybe just in the nick of time.
Hungry4info
NASA to Provide Update on InSight Mars Lander unsure.gif
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-...ght-mars-lander
PaulM
I wonder if the thrusters are restartable for a few seconds and whether the resultant flow of gasses over the solar panels might partly clean them?
Explorer1
I believe somewhere back in this very thread someone made a post that was quite clear that this would be impossible from the moment of touchdown and the engines turning off, and for any number of reasons afterward. This is not Surveyor 6 we are talking about....
djellison
Seconds after landing the pressurizing helium is vented from the prop system to somewhat pacify it.

I don't think it would do anything now even if you tried...and if it did do something (give that these are pulse throttled landing engines) it would probably rip the SEIS cable clean off.
Phil Stooke
There must have been some thought about striking the edge of an array with the scoop, or lifting the edge with the scoop so that when it released everything would shake... dangerous early in the mission but possibly acceptable when you are facing the end... But I suppose it was felt that it wouldn't help or it would compromise the last chances to collect data. Shame! It would have been a bit like the old Apollo 12 'hit the TV with the hammer' routine.

Phil
vjkane
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 17 2022, 07:03 PM) *
There must have been some thought about striking the edge of an array with the scoop, or lifting the edge with the scoop so that when it released everything would shake... dangerous early in the mission but possibly acceptable when you are facing the end... But I suppose it was felt that it wouldn't help or it would compromise the last chances to collect data. Shame! It would have been a bit like the old Apollo 12 'hit the TV with the hammer' routine.

Phil

I suspect that the arm operates is slow motion so a ‘strike’ might be like a gentle nudge
Phil Stooke
Good point, so an upward lift with the edge of the scoop, causing the panel to slip off and vibrate, might be the only way to do it. But there is probably a good reason for not trying it, including perhaps that the arm can't reach the panel in a suitable position. A photon-starved man will clutch at straws.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Speaking of photon-starved, the arm just scooped up soil and dropped it on the lander deck to help increase power a bit before the arm is retired.

https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0900M_.JPG

Phil
Antdoghalo
I have to say, despite being labeled a boring mission. InSight has proven to be far more scientifically interesting than we expected, if not of any Martian mission. Seeing it watch its final days makes me sad, knowing it will soon join the ranks of Mars 3, Viking, Pathfinder, MER, and Phoenix as monuments to our exploration of this planet that still surprised us even in InSight's final weeks. The mole may not have worked, but the shaking sure told us Mars is still active in a way. Plus we got to act like a child playing in the sandbox for a couple Martian years which was fun!
PaulH51
News Release dated June 21, 2022

"NASA's InSight Gets a Few Extra Weeks of Mars Science"

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9207/nasas-insig...e/?site=insight

Fox
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jun 21 2022, 04:13 PM) *
News Release dated June 21, 2022

"NASA's InSight Gets a Few Extra Weeks of Mars Science"

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9207/nasas-insig...e/?site=insight

This seems like a good plan. I'll be sad to see the mission end, this has been a fun one to watch.
adanecito
Where can I get the quake data such as date, longitude, latitude, Richter scale?
Thanks!
Phil Stooke
The raw data are here:

https://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/missions/insight/seis.htm

But it's up to you to figure out what it all means. If you want it all processed and put in simple terms (as your question suggests), you may have to wait for researchers to do the processing and publish the results, and since they are still collecting the last bits of data that may be a while.

Phil
rlorenz
QUOTE (adanecito @ Jul 27 2022, 08:49 PM) *
Where can I get the quake data such as date, longitude, latitude, Richter scale?
Thanks!

It sounds like you want the 'event catalog'
http://ds.iris.edu/ds/nodes/dmc/tools/mars-events/
adanecito
QUOTE (rlorenz @ Jul 29 2022, 01:41 AM) *
It sounds like you want the 'event catalog'
http://ds.iris.edu/ds/nodes/dmc/tools/mars-events/

Thanks you are correct. I looked at what you mentioned and could not find an example that showed lat,long and magnitude. I will keep looking. This is for schools that are using my apps so need to keep simple. :-)

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 28 2022, 04:22 AM) *
The raw data are here:

https://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/missions/insight/seis.htm

But it's up to you to figure out what it all means. If you want it all processed and put in simple terms (as your question suggests), you may have to wait for researchers to do the processing and publish the results, and since they are still collecting the last bits of data that may be a while.

Phil

Thanks you are correct. I looked at what you mentioned and could not find an example that showed lat,long and magnitude. I will keep looking. This is for schools that are using my apps so need to keep simple. :-)

adanecito
Thanks All! I think I found my answer. The web service for iris or fdsnws seems to have a rest call that includes magnitude with latitude and longitude. I will look more into that.
adanecito
QUOTE (adanecito @ Aug 6 2022, 04:21 PM) *
Thanks All! I think I found my answer. The web service for iris or fdsnws seems to have a rest call that includes magnitude with latitude and longitude. I will look more into that.

Seems event web surface doe not include Mars. But I will keep looking!
adanecito
QUOTE (adanecito @ Aug 6 2022, 07:28 PM) *
Seems event web surface doe not include Mars. But I will keep looking!

Ok, I found a V11 catalog going back to 2019. So now I have everything I need to start with. I will work on understanding the tags and new code to add the data visually. I am excited.
Fox
If I'm understanding this right, it looks like the power production level has been holding steady, and maybe even increased a bit recently? https://blogs.nasa.gov/insight/

scalbers
Yes, perhaps in response to cleaner air with reduced values of tau (aerosol optical depth).
Explorer1
Not going to lie, I thought it would be EOM by the end of August.

Crossing fingers for a better late than never dd.gif....
stevesliva
This was the statement from late June:

Instead, the team now plans to program the lander so that the seismometer can operate longer, perhaps until the end of August or into early September. Doing so will discharge the lander’s batteries sooner and cause the spacecraft to run out of power at that time as well, but it might enable the seismometer to detect additional marsquakes.

As it's just about the last day of "early September" ... not bad.
PaulH51
Recent data is from the mission blog, the historic data is from the mission managers reports in the Analyst's Notebook
Click to view attachment
Explorer1
Impacts Detected!, complete with HiRISE confirmation of the craters!

Also:
Predicting precisely when is difficult, but based on the latest power readings, engineers now believe the lander could shut down between October of this year and January 2023.
PaulH51
The InSight mission team have been regularly reporting the Tau and Whr/Sol values in the mission blog page on their web site.

Blog page: LINK

They updated the Blog home page on September 28th, with a new blog, but it contained a verbatim copy of the blog from September 17th.

If anyone here has connections with a mission team member at JPL, can they kindly drop them a line and request they post the correct blog?

TIA smile.gif
PaulH51
News Release (Oct. 7, 2022):-
NASA’s InSight Waits Out Dust Storm LINK
Extract:
The mission carefully monitors the lander’s power level, which has been steadily declining as dust accumulates on its solar arrays. By Monday, Oct. 3, the storm had grown large enough and was lofting so much dust that the thickness of the dusty haze in the Martian atmosphere had increased by nearly 40% around InSight. With less sunlight reaching the lander’s panels, its energy fell from 425 watt-hours per Martian day, or sol, to just 275 watt-hours per sol.

InSight’s seismometer has been operating for about 24 hours every other Martian day. But the drop in solar power does not leave enough energy to completely charge the batteries every sol. At the current rate of discharge, the lander would be able to operate only for several weeks. So to conserve energy, the mission will turn off InSight’s seismometer for the next two weeks.

“We were at about the bottom rung of our ladder when it comes to power. Now we’re on the ground floor,” said InSight’s project manager, Chuck Scott of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. “If we can ride this out, we can keep operating into winter – but I’d worry about the next storm that comes along.”
PaulH51
Click to view attachment
NASA InSight’s Power Level as of Oct. 8, 2022 link
On October 8, 2022, InSight was generating an average of 300 watt-hours of energy per Martian day, or sol – an increase after a sharp decline last week from 430 watt-hours per sol to a low of 275 watt-hours per sol. The decline was caused by a regional dust storm which, though thousands of miles from InSight’s location, is lofting dust into the atmosphere around it. The storm has started to wane, but dust particles will continue falling out of the atmosphere for weeks. InSight has minimized lander operations in order to keep its batteries from losing their charge while the solar arrays are getting less sunlight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.