Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: InSight Surface Operations
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > InSight
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
stevesliva
QUOTE (Steve G @ Jun 23 2021, 10:30 AM) *

Interesting to note this tweet in the days after the above:
Because of the hard work of my team, solar power has improved. At the start of the year we thought we’d stop collecting science for six months; now I’ll be operating for most of the summer.

https://twitter.com/NASAInSight/status/1408552495501123585
PaulH51
Another Saltation session attempted on sol 939 (July 18, 2021)
IDC images showing the material in the scoop and the landers deck ~30 minutes later
Click to view attachment
serpens
The results from InSight have a few surprises.

https://www.space.com/mars-large-core-thin-...insight-results
Explorer1
Q &A here with some nice discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kca3Y8XUK1c
PaulH51
Some light gardening during sol 952
Here's a before & after (sol 946 / 952 IDC)
Note: the trench nearest SEIS has been extended, with regolith accumulated for future use.
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Looks like InSight's cameras may have witnessed a dust lifting event between Sols 943 & 946
Here's an ICC GIF using ICC frames from those 2 sols.
Look beyond the WTS for a bright streak across the ground, it's a little difficult to see in these unprocessed images, but I'm sure the image wizards here can increase the difference etc.
Fingers crossed that a gust of wind removed some of the dust on the lander's solar arrays smile.gif
Click to view attachment
A processed GIF was posted on Twitter link in also contains links to the raw frames. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/J.Roger.
Explorer1
An image of the solar arrays would settle the matter (but need power to move the arm, of course).
Almost 1 month after aphelion...fingers crossed that the worst is over.....
Phil Stooke
In this image I merged 946 with a negative of 943, cranked up the contrast and merged the result with the original 943 to how where things are. The affected surface darkens as bright dust is stripped away. There have been other such events, including one streak in almost exactly the same place between sols 253 and 261 (Figure 10 in this paper:

Charalambous, C., McClean, J., Baker, M., Pike, T., Golombek, M., Lemmon, M.T., Ansan, V., Perrin, C., Spiga, A., Lorenz, R.D. and Banks, M., 2021. Vortex-dominated aeolian activity at InSight's landing site, Part 1: Multi-instrument observations, analysis, and implications. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-PLANETS, 126(6), p.e2020JE006757.)

BUT - this streak is much easier to see in the difference images.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Hey Paul, Phil,
a quickie try to get that streak more visible
spots of dust on the lens are coming off too...
GIF -- two frames
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Aug 11 2021, 11:14 AM) *
Hey Paul, Phil,
a quickie try to get that streak more visible
spots of dust on the lens are coming off too...

That's great news, the lens on the ICC camera is a lot closer to the solar arrays compared to the other side of the WTS smile.gif
Fingers and toes crossed for a few more watt/hours from a small cleaning event smile.gif

Thankyou... dd.gif dd.gif
stevesliva
Would be capriciously fitting if the weather station wasn't recording, but hopefully the watthours tell the tale.
rlorenz
It doesnt cover the recent sand-sprinkling cleaning efforts on InSight, but I have a paper just out (open access) that reviews the dust accumulation and removal on solar arrays on Mars landers/rovers (and Curiosity's UV sensors)

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pss.2021.105337
Brian Swift
QUOTE (rlorenz @ Sep 10 2021, 03:16 PM) *
It doesnt cover the recent sand-sprinkling cleaning efforts on InSight, but I have a paper just out (open access) that reviews the dust accumulation and removal on solar arrays on Mars landers/rovers (and Curiosity's UV sensors)

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pss.2021.105337

Thanks for sharing. Have studies been done of the feasibility of including a scale on a lander to weigh dust accumulation?

Unrelated to dust accumulation, do you have any good references for estimates of Mars' daylight spectral power distribution?

rlorenz
QUOTE (Brian Swift @ Sep 10 2021, 09:38 PM) *
Unrelated to dust accumulation, do you have any good references for estimates of Mars' daylight spectral power distribution?

The Crisp paper cited in my article is one.
you could also look at https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/bitstream/handle/2....pdf?sequence=1
Phil Stooke
As for a scale on the lander to weigh dust accumulation... it would be like the time I took my car to the recycling place to drop off some styrofoam packaging. They weighed the car, I dropped off a few chunks of styrofoam and they weighed the car again. Not a lot of difference!

Phil
Brian Swift
QUOTE (rlorenz @ Sep 11 2021, 03:27 PM) *
The Crisp paper cited in my article is one.
you could also look at https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/bitstream/handle/2....pdf?sequence=1

Thanks for the response. I'll see if I can find a non-paywalled version of the Crisp paper.
Fox
1000 sols!
Tom Tamlyn
NASA’s InSight Finds Three Big Marsquakes, Thanks to Solar-Panel Dusting
The lander cleared enough dust from one solar panel to keep its seismometer on through the summer, allowing scientists to study the three biggest quakes they’ve seen on Mars.
On Sept. 18, NASA’s InSight lander celebrated its 1,000th Martian day, or sol, by measuring one of the biggest, longest-lasting marsquakes the mission has ever detected. The temblor is estimated to be about a magnitude 4.2 and shook for nearly an hour-and-a-half.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-insight...r-panel-dusting
Phil Stooke
This link goes to a presentation by Bruce Banerdt to MEPAG in September:

https://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/meeting/2021-09/...EPAG%20VM13.pdf

Check out especially slides 12 and 13 (text and a graph of the power budget). We just squeaked through the cold period around aphelion and now power is increasing again, but without a cleaning event the mission team project "... energy dropping below operational minimums in the May June timeframe." In other words it looks like we may lose the mission in 8 months if things progress as expected.

It would be nice if my interpretation is too pessimistic... but is it?

Phil
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 27 2021, 04:57 PM) *
It would be nice if my interpretation is too pessimistic... but is it?

Not a lot of room for ambiguity there. I'd say the biggest open question is how much margin there is on the survival energy threshold.

I have no particular knowledge so this is just from reading the slides.
stevesliva
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 27 2021, 07:57 PM) *
This link goes to a presentation by Bruce Banerdt to MEPAG in September:

Check out especially slides 12 and 13 (text and a graph of the power budget). We just squeaked through the cold period around aphelion and now power is increasing again, but without a cleaning event the mission team project "... energy dropping below operational minimums in the May June timeframe." In other words it looks like we may lose the mission in 8 months if things progress as expected.

It's interesting that the prior big power drop ~sol 550 presaged the sol 560-720 period where there was almost no useful seismic data gathered. That implies that there might be a drop ~ sol1220, and a bad-data period from 1220-1380? Whatever time of year sol 550 was and sol 1220 will be***... I think the hopeful outlook is that we'll get more good data until then, and all bets are off after that.

*** It's interesting that whatever caused that noisy period was one season, not two???

This seismometer is a really exceptional instrument.
PaulH51
Seismic constraints from a Mars impact experiment using InSight and Perseverance link

Associated Tweet from Ben Fernando link

Click to view attachment

PaulH51
IDC Sol 1047: A glimpse of one of the arrays and the distant horizon
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Note the nice clear view of a distant hill at left on the horizon. We did see it early in the mission but less clearly.

I was recently told that there are two small gaps in the full mission stereoscopic panorama, which is why it has not been released yet. There is a full horizon panorama and a full workspace mosaic, but when you try to combine them there is a bit of a gap (I expect it's east of the HP3 but not certain.). Possibly we are seeing the beginning of an effort to fill the gap.

Phil
Fox
The InSight weather page hasn't updated for some time now, presumably because of the power issues? https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/weather/ But I'm wondering if the wind speed and temperature devices are still used occasionally? Or are they off all of the time right now? Thanks.
Phil Stooke
I think only SEIS is on at present. I don't know if anything else will come back on soon.

EDIT: This is from the InSight presentation at the last MEPAG meeting:
----------------
The seismometer is operating around the clock on sols that do not have special activities, and will continue to do so through conjunction. All other sensors have been turned off.

We expect to be able to return to partial operation of atmospheric and magnetic sensors after conjunction.

Dust accumulation on the solar arrays has been considerable (~80% obscuration), and is continuing. This is in line with predictions.

InSight has not experienced any natural cleaning events. This is not in line with expectations.

We have passed the minimum insolation/temperature point for this year,and anticipate slightly increasing energy for the next few months.

Our current projections indicate energy dropping below operational minimums in the May June timeframe.
----------------

Phil
Tom Tamlyn
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 16 2021, 06:41 PM) *
Dust accumulation on the solar arrays has been considerable (~80% obscuration), and is continuing. This is in line with predictions.

InSight has not experienced any natural cleaning events. This is not in line with expectations.

Ever since I read Phil's post, I’ve been wondering doubtfully about that expectation. It didn’t seem possible that enough is known about Martian weather to provide a sound analytical basis for expecting that the frequency of cleaning events for Insight would be comparable to those experienced by Spirit and Opportunity.* I also speculated how many more missions would be required to establish such a basis, and wondered whether it is possible to predict roughly comparable events even on earth.

This morning I tried googling “mars cleaning events prediction." Practically the first hit was a comprehensive and fascinating review article, not paywalled, from several months ago: Lorenz et al., Lander and rover histories of dust accumulation on and removal from solar arrays on Mars (2021). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/artic...321001768#bib20

The article explores at length the topics I was thinking about, as well as related issues. As is typical for Ralph's articles, it includes an illuminating discussion of past work and is full of insights that are accessible to a reader with no technical qualifications whatsoever.

It's remarkable how often, when I'm wondering about a planetary science question, that the best and most accessible resource turns out to be an article, or a series of articles, written by Ralph.

_______
* No criticism intended. The fact that a strong pattern of cleaning events occurred at two widely separated locations is a striking and suggestive phenomenon, and I’m sure that the Insight team’s predictions were appropriately qualified. I note that the presentation quoted in Phil's post appears to distinguish between "predictions" and "expectations."

Edit: Clarified that Phil was quoting the presentation. And thanks to fredk for pointing out that I'd missed the prior discussion of Ralph's article.
fredk
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Nov 21 2021, 07:04 PM) *
Practically the first hit was a comprehensive and fascinating review article

Linked to just a few posts back! Check out a bit of discussion there.
Phil Stooke
I quoted from that MEPAG presentation, but I should have linked to it. Here it is:

And this link goes to the full set of presentations:

https://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/meetings.cfm

The Curiosity and Perseverance presentations are also good.

Phil
Fox
Looks like InSight tried to dust off the solar panels again.
PaulH51
QUOTE (Fox @ Nov 24 2021, 02:24 AM) *
Looks like InSight tried to dust off the solar panels again.

Here's a stabilised animation from sol 1061

https://twitter.com/landru79/status/1462859360762224645
Phil Stooke
Sol 1074, the scoop presses on the surface on the other side of the SEIS tether. Not sure what they are doing yet.

Phil
schmurz
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 5 2021, 04:57 AM) *
Sol 1074, the scoop presses on the surface on the other side of the SEIS tether. Not sure what they are doing yet.

Phil

Maybe it's just another one option to clean the dust from the solar panels by tilting the lander a bit
Phil Stooke
The arm isn't strong enough to move the lander enough to help. I think it might be to make a smooth surface which they can image at intervals to look for wind-induced changes, moving grains etc.

The digging on the other side of the tether did not begin with an imprint like this.

Phil
Phil Stooke
A second imprint right on top of the first one (careful inspection of images shows small changes) on sol 1075. Still not sure what's happening.

Here's a graphic summary of recent operations.

Click to view attachment

Phil

Phil Stooke
Just noticed that actually there were two separate contacts on sol 1074 and two more on 1075. All basically in the same place but if you overlay images they are clearly distinct.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Fox
I wonder if InSight could use its own scoop to scrape dust off of the solar panels?
john_s
I'm sure that if that was feasible, it would already have been attempted.

In the hindsight department, it might have been nice to have brush attachment on the deck that could be picked up by the grapple on the arm and used to brush off the panels. But there might be good reasons why that wouldn't have been feasible either.

John

Phil Stooke
I don't like the idea of using any physical brush or scraper or wiper on the solar arrays because of abrasive dust damaging the surface, possibly reducing power generation or making the surface more likely to hold dust. My best guess is that the tip of the scoop could be lodged just under the edge of an array and raised. When the array slips free it vibrates enough to dislodge dust. However, this is risky to both the arm and the array so I would only expect it to be used as an absolute last resort when power is dropping to mission-ending levels, which Bruce Banerdt suggested at MEPAG could be in about June 2022.

Phil

MahFL
QUOTE (john_s @ Dec 13 2021, 06:17 PM) *
In the hindsight department, it might have been nice to have brush attachment on the deck that could be picked up by the grapple on the arm and used to brush off the panels. But there might be good reasons why that wouldn't have been feasible either.
John

We had years of brush talks with the MER rovers, basically the timeline of the panels is designed for the timeline of the primary mission.
atomoid
No dust devils, no dust brush, no GDRT-type nitrogen bottle, mission was previously extended to end a year form now, since they have the budget one wonders if they will try a hail mary and vibrate the panel deployment motors again, but this time after dropping some dust directly on the solar array, the added volume of material might be enough to nudge the dust from adhering, though im sure they have already considered such an approach by now
Phil Stooke
Sol 1088. The scoop is on the surface again in the same spot as before. Come on, InSight - please tweet what you are up to!

Phil
Phil Stooke
No news on the reason for the arm on the surface but I have a new hypothesis - leaving it up in the air might be a source of seismic noise as the wind blows around it, shaking the whole lander slightly. Perhaps leaving it in contact with the ground reduces the noise. It's still there now.

Phil
serpens
With respect to cleaning of solar panels, the process of dropping a scoop of dirt onto the deck from a height upwind of the panel resulted in a cleaning of some dust through saltation and a boost in power. Talk about thinking outside the box. The results of seismic analysis at shallow depth is interesting, with the extent of sedimentary rock beneath the Hesperian/Amazonian lava deposits, presumably from the Elysium volcanoes, overlaying the thick sedimentary rock which begins at a depth of 170 metres. This extensive sedimentary rock could possibly relate to the presence of a Northern Ocean which would have affected both Gale and Jezero.
rlorenz
QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 13 2021, 08:58 PM) *
We had years of brush talks with the MER rovers, basically the timeline of the panels is designed for the timeline of the primary mission.

Apollo experience on attempting to brush off dust from the LRV radiators shows that even with human vision and dexterity, it isnt easy to
get dust off anyway....
Ironically, the timeline of the MER primary mission was determined by the expectation of dust on the panels.... :-)
As my paper in ASR on distance requirements on rover missions notes

'The preliminary design of the rover option by JPL engineer
Mark Adler carried the Athena payload package
(assembled by Steve Squyres, originally selected for a small
rover (‘Marie Curie’) on the 2001 lander.) As Squyres
(2005) records ‘‘Applying what he thought was prudent
margin, Mark had been willing to sign up to only 30 sols
of operations at first.” (The Sojourner solar array experience
implied that the daily energy available would degrade
by 10% over this period).
Conway (2015, pp. 221–222) observes ‘‘at the
”shootout‘‘ meeting in the Pasadena Hilton in July 2000,
Mars program chief scientist Jim Garvin told Squyres that
the 30-sol mission life was putting them at a competitive
disadvantage. They had to at least do better than the
Sojourner rover’s 86 day life. Pete Theisinger and Rob
Manning then had a conversation in the hallway about
what they could sign up to. The short study they’d had performed
showed a positive power margin at sol 91, so they
decided they could accept a 90-day mission.” Squyres
(2005) observes: ‘‘So ninety sols was it. It became one of
our Level One Requirements”. In this instance, then (as
in many others), the capability became the requirement.'
djellison
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-insight...mars-dust-storm
NASA’s InSight Enters Safe Mode During Regional Mars Dust Storm

The lander has taken measures to conserve energy; engineers aim to return to normal operations next week.

NASA’s InSight lander is stable and sending health data from Mars to Earth after going into safe mode Friday, Jan. 7, following a large, regional dust storm that reduced the sunlight reaching its solar panels. In safe mode, a spacecraft suspends all but its essential functions.

The mission’s team reestablished contact with InSight Jan. 10, finding that its power was holding steady and, while low, was unlikely to be draining the lander’s batteries. Drained batteries are believed to have caused the end of NASA’s Opportunity rover during an epic series of dust storms that blanketed the Red Planet in 2018.

Even before this recent dust storm, dust had been accumulating on InSight’s solar panels, reducing the lander’s power supply. Using a scoop on the lander’s robotic arm, InSight’s team came up with an innovative way to reduce the dust on one panel, and gained several boosts of energy during 2021, but these activities become increasingly difficult as available energy decreases.

Dust storms can affect solar panels in two ways: Dust reduces sunlight filtering through the atmosphere, and it can also accumulate on the panels. Whether this storm will leave an additional layer of dust on the solar panels remains to be determined.

The current dust storm was first detected by the Mars Color Imager (MARCI) camera aboard NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which creates daily color maps of the entire planet. Those maps allow scientists to monitor dust storms and can serve as an early warning system for spacecraft on the Martian surface. InSight’s team received data indicating the regional storm is waning.

The whirlwinds and gusts of dust storms have helped to clear solar panels over time, as with the Spirit and Opportunity Mars rover missions. While InSight’s weather sensors have detected many passing whirlwinds, none have cleared any dust.

InSight’s engineers are hopeful they will be able to command the lander to exit safe mode next week. This will allow more flexibility in operating the lander, as communication, which requires a relatively large amount of energy, is limited in safe mode to conserve battery charge.

InSight landed on Mars on Nov. 26, 2018, to study the inner structure of the planet, including its crust, mantle and core. The spacecraft achieved its science objectives before its prime mission ended a year ago. NASA then extended the mission for up to two years, to December 2022, based on the recommendation of an independent review panel composed of experts with backgrounds in science, operations and mission management.
PhilHorzempa
In May 2020, I wrote this essay in connection with Insight >

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3949/1

As you will see, I make the case that the robot arm on Insight should be used to dig a deep trench.
Of course, this will depend on the lander's power supply.

Here is a photo of a trench dug by Viking 1 (courtesy of Phil Stooke) >

Click to view attachment

It shows that the Viking arm was capable of digging a significant trench, contrary to what I wrote in my essay!

The title of the paper that reviews the history of the arm carried by Insight is "Insight Instrument Deployment Arm" by Richard Fleischner. I neglected to include that title in my essay.

This recent paper is a thorough recap of what the authors refer to as the "Mole Saga" >

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2112.04438.pdf

They mention that a large stone blocking the Mole was unlikely. However, the presence of the arm will allow them a direct means of determining if that is true. In fact, I think that this Deep Trench should be dug immediately next to the Mole. That would allow a direct view of the obstacles, be they rocks or duricrust or sand or a solidified layer of lava.
In the Synopsis, the authors point out that the Mole's progress was slowed by an order of magnitude after burrowing down 1 foot. This baffled them, as they state: "We can only speculate about the nature of this layer." That is the issue in a nutshell.
Future missions to Mars, both manned and unmanned, will need to dig or drill into the subsurface. They would benefit immensely from a deep trench experiment conducted by Insight.

Another Phil

PaulH51
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 12 2022, 06:30 AM) *
snip NASA's InSight Enters Safe Mode During Regional Mars Dust Storm link

Updated January 19, 2022, 9:00 a.m. PST (12:00 p.m. EST):
NASA’s InSight has exited safe mode and resumed normal operations, although its science instruments remain off. Skies appear to be clearing of dust above the spacecraft. Over the next two weeks, the mission team will assess the effects of dust accumulation on the lander’s power.

PaulH51
Hello There smile.gif

ICC Sol 1129 (Jan 29, 2022)

This is the 1st image from the lander in over three weeks as the rover was in safe mode / conserving energy.

So good to see it back and the skies looking fairly clear of the reported dust storms

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
A selection of IDC images from sol 1136 shows the arm moving over the lander's deck. Maybe another saltation exercise?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.